• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I don't think I've actually asked, but who do you want in Smash Bros?
Currently, the only characters I want are Lloyd Irving and Phoenix Wright. I just enjoy both of the characters and the games they come from.

For don't wants, as I said not many.I guess just Heihachi because I would rather have Lloyd as a Bamco rep? Also I wouldn't want Freddy Fazbear, simply because I despise that series.

I'm open to pretty much anyone though, as Sakurai always finds a way to make every new character appealing, even ones I had little knowledge of before their inclusion.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Let's try this again. For characters that I want:
  • Dante
  • 2B
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Doomguy
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Geralt
  • Steve
  • Lloyd Irving
For characters I don't want, it's hard to say. Most of the characters I wouldn't want to see are super unlikely.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Arle and Saber will destroy my hopes for a puzzle and mobile newcomer, respectively, that I actually would've been interested in.

Last edited:

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
The Character I want is Kiryu from Yakuza. Not a popular or interesting character for most, but I love the series!

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Jokes aside, I wouldn’t say I have any one character in particular I really want anymore. Most who fit that criteria have already gotten in, and aside from that I’m more interested to see what moveset the final character will bring. There are certainly some characters I’d still like, such as Geno, but I trust the Smash team to make whoever the final character is at least interesting.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Arle and Saber will destroy my hopes for a puzzle and mobile newcomer, respectively, that I actually would've been interested in.
Who were you hoping for on the mobile side?
One of the more casual type reps (Red Bird, Fruit Ninja, etc.) or something from another Gacha title?

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
For mobile reps, I'd love Doodle Jump. First mobile game sensation around my local area and that was back in the days of LG Qwerty Keyboard phones being it.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh yeah I forgot the 3 most important characters I don't want:

1. Indie characters:

Undertale is probably the most beloved indie game ever and Sans is in Smash as a special Mii Fighter outfit. I don't think any indie character deserves more. Indie series tend to lack history, continued innovation, and most importantly fans and mass appeal. Minecraft was an indie game for instance, but it got history and an impact to become a major force in gaming. The Witcher and Rayman are 2 examples of similar tales. Those series went from being indie to being major video game franchises with a ton of historical importance.

Unless an indie series surpasses the indie title, they don't belong playable in Smash. Smash is a mascot fighter, not a wishlist fighter like some random MUGEN game. Characters should have weight behind their history. We should not be adding a character just because you like ultra skinny chicks.

2. Secondary characters:

Basically no Geno (he's a secondary character in the 3rd most important Mario game from 1996), no characters that are so deep down the cast you gotta look for them (like Anna in Fire Emblem). Smash shouldn't have series' Diddy Kong's before their Donkey Kong's. Respect the Main character status.

Like I said before, Smash is a mascot fighter, and it is better that way.

3. Non-Video game characters:

The reason you don't want Goku isn't that you hate Goku or the idea of him in Smash, it's that you got to work thru like 6 companies to get him in. Then if he's in, if one of them randomly gets mad they can shut down all Smash streams, videos on YouTube, tournaments, ETC. Don't believe me? It all happened to Dragon Ball FighterZ and that killed a lot of that games' competitive momentum. Disney killed Marvel vs. Capcom multiple times in spite of the series' printing money and being genius.

That would not be ideal for Smash, because manga/anime/animation/big companies like Disney can have really terrible PR departments and people in charge, and can throw that legal weight around in ways not even Nintendo can protect themselves from.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Who were you hoping for on the mobile side?
One of the more casual type reps (Red Bird, Fruit Ninja, etc.) or something from another Gacha title?
Definitely a seperate Gacha game. Actually one that had a crossover with Super Mario Bros. no less.

I forgot this happened. It was the most exposure Puzzle & Dragons could have gotten outside Japan.

D

Deleted member

Definitely a seperate Gacha game. Actually one that had a crossover with Super Mario Bros. no less.

I forgot this happened. It was the most exposure Puzzle & Dragons could have gotten outside Japan.
I still want to play that game, ngl.

Here in Europe we got a version that featured both the Mario edition and an original Puzzle & Dragons game in a single cartridge.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As for characters I'd want, I thought it'd be fun to sort them into top fives for first parties and third parties. Most options are viable for the purpose of these lists (so Assists and Spirits are fair game) and I won't be taking likelihood into account. The only thing I'll refrain from adding are characters who might not be physically feasible (I'm sorry Qwilfish, I love you, but Sakurai hasn't given his stance on fish).

First parties:
1. Edelgard
2. Waluigi
3. Caeda
4. Henry Fleming
5. Merric
Honorable mentions go to Starfy and Muddy Mole.

Third parties:
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Lara Croft
3. Frogger
4. Phoenix Wright
5. Ezio Auditore
Honorable mentions go to Otto from Elevator Action and Maxwell from Scribblenauts.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'd be hard pressed to find someone I vehemently wouldn't want in Smash at the moment without resorting to generic anime style titles that grossly sexualise underage characters like Senran

At worst, most characters are just Aggressively Mid and I just don't care.

Is this that game FFXV had a special event with?
That was Terra Wars iirc.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
My thing with not wanting characters is the only reason I wouldn't want them is because they'd take the spot of characters I want more. Like it would feel weird to say I don't want Nightmare because I'd rather have Lloyd and KOS-MOS because I'd honestly love Nightmare as well. I think with all that in mind, literally the only characters I straight up don't want in the game are:

Steve
Jonesey (or other Fortnite rep)

That's all. There isn't a single other character in the history of gaming that I flat out don't want or would be mad to see in.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Am starting to wonder what is taking Sabi so long on this, maybe an actual development is happening? That or they post something completely worthless 5 minutes after I post this.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Crash Bandicoot influencers got sent figures unprompted by the Crash devs. 7 in total. People feeling psyched up for a Crash game being announced next week. TGA will definitely be an interesting watch and I bet Crash is being considered for a future DLC.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
It's been fascinating watching this thread tailspin over the past few days. Like victims of a hilarious social experiment.

I know we're going through the characters we'd hate to see in the game (my controversial don't-want list consists of Master Chief, Kratos, Porky, Dante, etc) and characters we'd love to see in the game (Amaterasu, Shantae, and Paper Mario would make me jump for joy), but at the end of the day, I really can't ask Sakurai for any more. I got my most wanted in Banjo, second most wanted in Simon, the idea that some of my favorite franchises like TWEWY and Soul Calibur could get fun Spirit events, and the promise of at least three more Fighters coming to this game. That's more than enough for this guy.

Fighter 5 could be Wendell the Chef from the old Cinnamon Toast Crunch boxes for all I care. I'm just excited to be surprised at these next reveals, and I especially can't wait to watch this thread eat itself alive for the next few days.

D

Deleted member

Let me try like you guys did
Characters I want:
•Shantae
•Geno
•Dante
•Lloyd Irving
•Rex & pyra
Characters I would like to see:
•Heihachi
•Phoenix Wright
•The knight
•Dovahkiin
•sol badguy
•sakura
•froger
•crash
•nightmare
Characters I do not want
•reimu
•fortnite
•Ryu hayabusa
•vault boy
•Kos-mos(I wasent against her at that time but ever since last & this week in here I lost interest in seeing her)
•waluigi

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
As for characters I'd want, I thought it'd be fun to sort them into top fives for first parties and third parties. Most options are viable for the purpose of these lists (so Assists and Spirits are fair game) and I won't be taking likelihood into account. The only thing I'll refrain from adding are characters who might not be physically feasible (I'm sorry Qwilfish, I love you, but Sakurai hasn't given his stance on fish).

First parties:
1. Edelgard
2. Waluigi
3. Caeda
4. Henry Fleming
5. Merric
Honorable mentions go to Starfy and Muddy Mole.

Third parties:
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Lara Croft
3. Frogger
4. Phoenix Wright
5. Ezio Auditore
Honorable mentions go to Otto from Elevator Action and Maxwell from Scribblenauts.
It's funny, the more I see you refer to Crash and Edelgard as your two most wanted, the more I associate them together. It's pretty amusing in the fact that they're two characters who couldn't be any more different, but would be fun to see interact regardless. It's the possibility of seeing polar opposite pairs like these in Smash that REALLY entertain me.

SKX31

Smash Master
No one in particular. After seeing how Sakurai and his team incorporates characters, especially DLC fighters and their universes, I’m totally open to everyone. Even series I haven’t played or have no interest in, just seeing content and fans happy makes me welcome almost any character.
Practically my stance - still there are some things I'd like to avoid with a character:

* (Specific cases) Real life allusions: Very much a potential problem with weaponry - especially guns and firearms. CoD, Battlefield and CS GO all feature guns modelled - if not named after - real weaponry, and including them would be asking for too much trouble IMHO. I find it telling that Sakurai avoided firearms entirely with Snake and left Joker's non-descript as just "Gun". I wouldn't be opposed to those three otherwise, but the stereotypical image of those three games are too tied with those weapons unlike e.g. Halo. Which is a shame, because there are some interesting ideas one could pull from those series such as UAVs and Kill/Scorestreak rewards.

* One Trick Ponies: Characters who are too specialized on one thing. Little Mac veers on this, but has some utility with his tilts and specials (I still think some of his moves should be completely reworked like KO punch). My MOBA experience is showing here, since there are characters in those games who if left unchecked can dictate entire matches and make lives miserable. Even if those characters are your allies and it goes horribly wrong.

* Oversexualization - agreeing with Schnee117 Schnee117 . Visual cues can be incredibly disturbing, and distracting (the distracting part is one reason Mai didn't get in I'd imagine).

Edit: My stance on ZSS, Shulk, Bayo and Snake are that they're fine since they're limited to alternate costumes in the first two cases, and those four are not animated to be overly sexualized either.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Most wanted and least wanted, eh? 'Aight, sounds fun!

...Just, please don't be mad at my least wanteds, okay? I know they're not gonna be popular opinions, ha ha.

Any Devil May Cry rep
Any Resident Evil rep
Kratos
Doom Guy
Geralt
Travis

Octolings
Waluigi
Midna
Sora
Yuri Lowell
Phoenix Wright
Cinderace
DJ Octavio
Literally Anyone from Kirby
Steve
Dr. Eggman
Katamari Prince
Byleth
Reimu
Min Min

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
My five least-wanted are probably not that controversial:
1. Kirito
2. Goku
3. Naruto
4. Luffy
5. Mickey Mouse

Ovaltine

Smash Master
For characters I do want, all I'm missing is Geno for Ultimate to be perfect tbh, and even if not here, just some kind of return for him would make me happy.

Characters I want to see are very numerous.

Characters I don't want to see literally just amount to fourth parties, because any character will make SOMEONE out there happy... but the fourth party rabbit hole is something I don't want Smash diving into.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's funny, the more I see you refer to Crash and Edelgard as your two most wanted, the more I associate them together. It's pretty amusing in the fact that they're two characters who couldn't be any more different, but would be fun to see interact regardless. It's the possibility of seeing polar opposite pairs like these in Smash that REALLY entertain me.
Edelgard: "The Black Eagle Strike Force could always use your aid. For far too long, the nobility has trampled upon those they deem unworthy or lesser, simply due to the circumstances of their birth. Do you feel the same?"

Crash: *Body slams a Nitro Crate*

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think this is essentially everyone I currently want in Smash, ordered by series:

Paper Mario
Pauline
Waluigi
Dixie
Funky
Cranky
Champion (Preferably Mipha, followed by Revali)
Midna
Bandana Waddle Dee
Krystal
Zoroark
Lycanroc
Zacian and/or Zamazenta (Open to other Gen VIII Pokemon)
Tails
Shadow the Hedgehog
Alph (Upgrade to Echo)
Rex/Pyra
Octoling
Spring Man
Steve
Rayman

I'd be happy with any of these characters getting in Smash.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
y'all should just put your most wanteds in your sig, like a certain smashing fella does, so you don't have to write the same 10+ characters' names every single time

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For characters I do want, all I'm missing is Geno for Ultimate to be perfect tbh, and even if not here, just some kind of return for him would make me happy.

Characters I want to see are very numerous.

Characters I don't want to see literally just amount to fourth parties, because any character will make SOMEONE out there happy... but the fourth party rabbit hole is something I don't want Smash diving into.
One day he'll rise again... maybe...

hopefully

KillerCage

Smash Master
1. Indie characters:

Undertale is probably the most beloved indie game ever and Sans is in Smash as a special Mii Fighter outfit. I don't think any indie character deserves more. Indie series tend to lack history, continued innovation, and most importantly fans and mass appeal. Minecraft was an indie game for instance, but it got history and an impact to become a major force in gaming. The Witcher and Rayman are 2 examples of similar tales. Those series went from being indie to being major video game franchises with a ton of historical importance.

Unless an indie series surpasses the indie title, they don't belong playable in Smash. Smash is a mascot fighter, not a wishlist fighter like some random MUGEN game. Characters should have weight behind their history. We should not be adding a character just because you like ultra skinny chicks.
The only Indie game that deserves to be Smash and isn't in yet is Cave Story.
It makes sense in my mind that Quote should represent indie games as a whole as the game was the first indie game to go mainstream.
Not to mention Cave Story was made in Japan, a distinction that most indie characters lack.
Reimu of the Touhou series is the only real competitor in that field.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Characters I would like to see in Smash Ultimate:

Lloyd Irving
Velvet Crowe
Any other Tales rep
Ryu Hayabusa
Sol Badguy
Sakura Shinguji
Arle Nadja
Death(Darksiders)
Leon Kennedy(if he weren't disconfirmed as a spirit)
Porky Minch

Characters I wouldn't want to see in Smash Ultimate:

Any Activision-Blizzard character
Any Disney associated character
Any 3rd party customizable avatars
Steve
Bubsy
LoL
Any Fire Emblem character
Any Mario character
Any Pokemon character

D

Deleted member

y'all should just put your most wanteds in your sig, like a certain smashing fella does, so you don't have to write the same 10+ characters' names every single time
But then we can't know why you want them, and that's the funnest part of asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom