• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Wait we already have a Disney characters?
Negotiating with Square is one thing, negotiating with the Disney half, on the other hand...

Personally, I just don't feel like Sora having a clean entrance without the Disney association. Everyone assumes that Disney is much, much, stingier than Square. Honestly, it's because people don't want to open the floodgates that are non-video game characters, and that Sora's inclusion may do something about them.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Negotiating with Square is one thing, negotiating with the Disney half, on the other hand...

Personally, I just don't feel like Sora having a clean entrance without the Disney association. Everyone assumes that Disney is much, much, stingier than Square. Honestly, it's because people don't want to open the floodgates that are non-video game characters, and that Sora's inclusion may do something about them.
The Square side of Négociation is LITERALLY "Yo Nomura can we use ya boy Sora for that?"

Also, Sora without Disney stuff exist.
Just look at the 4 crossovers he did with FF record Keeper and Brave Exvius.
4 Crossovers just for this year's for both games. And he didn't need any mention of Disney stuff.

And I say that as someone who have him in both games.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace

Sora may or may not be a special case, but as was mentioned to me before, Disney has been fairly open to letting studios work with their LucasArts properties so far, so I don't think they're necessarily a huge obstacle. Though, that also depends on how they view Nintendo specifically, I suppose.

Granted, I don't want Sora, but I don't think he's particularly unlikely.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Legit,
I don't give a **** if Sora came without Disney content.
Hell, I'd prefer if he didn't come with Disney content. The only thing Donald and Goofy have done for me throughout the years is fail to tank and heal for me.

The coolest **** Sora can do? The thing people like Sora for?
He can do it solo. Easy.

sora dabbing.jpg

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Honestly you can pull plenty just from the original stuff KH has done at this point, his final smash could even be his dual attack stuff from the final boss in KH2 with Riku.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I am certain Sakurai would not want to add Sora without the Disney characters. He's dead set on bringing in a whole bunch of cameos and important faces with each fighter. Imagine not have Donald and Goofy.

Like I said earlier, Sakurai doesn't want to just add a fighter, he wants to do an entire tribute to a series. Just look at his live presentations for Hero, Banjo, and Terry.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Okay, sure.
I am certain Sakurai would not want to add Sora without the Disney characters. He's dead set on bringing in a whole bunch of cameos and important faces with each fighter. Imagine not have Donald and Goofy.
paradise.jpg

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Disney doesn't really care what people do with their gaming IP's it's why it's been easy in recent years to remaster old Disney owned games.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Sora could easily be in Smash without Disney content. Heck, the Disney content doesn't even have much of anything to do with the plot anymore anyways: There are plenty of non-Disney things to pull from.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yet one of the most iconic SNK and fighting game female characters was left out of a cameo, because of how Smash is rated. I could 100% seeing the Disney folks being left out similarly but this time for legal awkwardness.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

Like I said earlier, Sakurai doesn't want to just add a fighter, he wants to do an entire tribute to a series. Just look at his live presentations for Hero, Banjo, and Terry.
By that logic, Cloud would not have returned, considering the lackluster content on Final Fantasy's side.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yet one of the most iconic SNK and fighting game female characters was left out of a cameo, because of how Smash is rated. I could 100% seeing the Disney folks being left out similarly but this time for legal awkwardness.
That was one character. He even addressed it as if it was something he didn't want to do. With Sora he'd have to leave out half of the cast. A huuuge part of what makes Kingdom Heart Kingdom Hearts. I just don't see him doing it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Same, we'd only be missing 3 characters total.

I'm partly hoping Sora's stage is Traverse town just so Nintendo negotiates with Square to add Neku and Squall be background cameos alongside the KH gang.

Traverse town is the perfect place to use as Sora's stage since in the games it's described as a place between different worlds.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Quick question since I've been absent from the thread: did something new happen or is this Sora discussion just over the possibility of him being the grand finale of this Pass?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
By that logic, Cloud would not have returned, considering the lackluster content on Final Fantasy's side.
Cloud wasn't a part of this new collection of content. Imagine if Sakurai did his live presentation with Cloud and there was basically nothing. These fighter packs are designed to give us more than Cloud did.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Cloud wasn't a part of this new collection of content. Imagine if Sakurai did his live presentation with Cloud and there was basically nothing. These fighter packs are designed to give us more than Cloud did.
Do you... do you think Sora would just not come with spirits/music/stage?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
That was one character. He even addressed it as if it was something he didn't want to do. With Sora he'd have to leave out half of the cast. A huuuge part of what makes Kingdom Heart Kingdom Hearts. I just don't see him doing it.
There are plenty of original characters and content in Kingdom Hearts that can make up enough content as is, the Disney stuff was always just a side part anyway. It's not like the Subspace Emissary where every character is essential to the story, the vast majority of Disney characters are just NPCs and minor background characters. Like others have said before, if Terry can be there without Mai, and Cloud can be there without Tifa, Barrett, Aerith, and Sephiroth, then Sora can most definitely be there alone, or with just Riku, Kairi, Roxas, etc.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Do you... do you think Sora would just not come with spirits/music/stage?
No. You're missing my point. I'm saying how DLC is handled now is different from how it was handled for the Wii U. These DLC packs seem to be designed as a tribute to their respective series. I can't see a tribute to a series lacking important characters. Well I guess they can be missing one (in the case of Mai)

I could be wrong. But leaving out a HUUUUGE chunk of KH's identity just doesn't seem like what Sakurai is aiming for.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I'm just of the opinion that 3 PNGs of Goofy, Donald, and Mickey wouldn't be the straw that broke the camel's back.

osby

Smash Obsessed
No. You're missing my point. I'm saying how DLC is handled now is different from how it was handled for the Wii U. These DLC packs seem to be designed as a tribute to their respective series. I can't see a tribute to a series lacking important characters. Well I guess they can be missing one (in the case of Mai)

I could be wrong. But leaving out a HUUUUGE chunk of KH's identity just doesn't seem like what Sakurai is aiming for.
I mean, Dragon Quest outright omitted half of 3 and 4's protags because they are not dudes.

Sora would be fine with just Kairi, Riku, etc.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I mean, Dragon Quest outright omitted half of 3 and 4's protags because they are not dudes.

Sora would be fine with just Kairi, Riku, etc.
Smash isn't a stranger to ommiting certain characters from the third party inclusion, I'm sure Sora would be no different in that regard.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean Joker came with almost 100% P5 content minus a few Mii Costumes. SMT wasn't even referenced outside a press release despite Persona's ties to that franchise.

Sakurai could mention Disney in his livestream and let people know why he didn't include Disney characters with Sora. Legal stuff and whatnot.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I mean Joker came with almost 100% P5 content minus a few Mii Costumes. SMT wasn't even referenced outside a press release despite Persona's ties to that franchise.
They didn't even bother with the franchise mascot.
DAM4oUzXcAAnt43.jpg

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Awww.... Disney is admittedly the bigger reason why I like KH. It’d be so weird to not see Donald or Goofy with Sora tbh.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
© Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / Disney

osby

Smash Obsessed
Seriously, SMT should have at least got a Mii Costume. It really sucks to see how dirty it was done in this game.
Banjo-Kazooie didn't come with content from other Rare games. Same with Dragon Quest and other SE games. Terry was an exception because of KoF.

Mainline SMT isn't even what started Persona, it's SMT if. Persona doesn't owe anything to SMT.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
It'd be cool if we got a double character reveal at TGA. If we could get the 5th fighter and one bonus character before they start FP2 (like Piranha Plant).

Like Sakura's reveal would be her saving the other Smash characters by slashing down demons (Sakura Sets the Stage). Then gameplay would show afterwards, the demons are gone, evil has been slayed.

But then a laser blast is headed towards her, Sakura deflects it, seeing it fired from a mysterious fighter. Far behind the new fighter, laid other Smash fighters; utterly defeated. Multiple lasers are fired from the opponent, Sakura amazingly deflects them all as she rush towards her opponent with her sword. Her opponent then pulls out two swords of their own.

It's Sakura's turn to overwhelm her opponent as her Iaido sword style catching the mysterious fighter off guard, forcing them to jump flip backwards.

"To think the fighters in this world would be so skilled, looks like I can't afford to be complacent. But I won't back either. After all, fortune favors the bold, it's time to show you my Arts!" Elma says as: (Elma Kicks it into Overdrive).

Gameplay shows off Elma, and then returns back to Elma and Sakura. Being both evenly matched, they head into their respective mechs to fight each other.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Legit,
I don't give a **** if Sora came without Disney content.
Hell, I'd prefer if he didn't come with Disney content. The only thing Donald and Goofy have done for me throughout the years is fail to tank and heal for me.

The coolest **** Sora can do? The thing people like Sora for?
He can do it solo. Easy.

View attachment 250345
Honestly you can pull plenty just from the original stuff KH has done at this point, his final smash could even be his dual attack stuff from the final boss in KH2 with Riku.
Pretty much, guys.
Sora legit only needs himself and if they wanted to add in other characters for his Final Smash they could either do a reference to Kingdom Hearts II with Riku and their team ups in the final battle or do something similar to Mega Man and Hero by having the other protagonists in Kingdom Hearts (Roxas, Aqua, Terra, & Ven..maybe Riku, Kairi, & Xion as well) all team up with him.

I'm not certain of that at all. If Sakurai ONLY wants Video Game content in Super Smash Bros, then he'll hold fast and only include the original Kingdom Hearts content in the game.
Sakurai has been shown to leave out content if its problematic, such as leaving Mai Shiranui out due to causing issues with CERO. While the Disney crossovers is important to the Kingdom Hearts series, its not important to representing it..beyond that, outside of Donald, Goofy, and Mickey's KH designs, any Disney content wouldn't really be representing the KH series and KH has enough original content on its own to perfectly represent the series.

Mostly it all depends on if Sakurai's 'Video Game Only' thing is only for playable characters or if it extends to all content including Assists, Assist Trophies, and Spirits.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
>Me enjoying all the content Atlus have provided for their loyal SMT fans.

This also happens to be loyal AW fans enjoying what IntSys gave us these past 12 years lmao.
Banjo-Kazooie didn't come with content from other Rare games. Same with Dragon Quest and other SE games. Terry was an exception because of KoF.

Mainline SMT isn't even what started Persona, it's SMT if. Persona doesn't owe anything to SMT.
It's still Atlus tho. If Sonic could be tied to it, I see no reason for SMT. Also, Jack Frost is Atlus' mascot IIRC. That's desrving of a Mii Costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom