• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Can we stop attacking (or trolling) people for their preferences when it comes to character choice, please? If you can't talk about it politely, then it's probably best not to talk about it at all.
Ok doomer.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I'd definitely question why Sakurai loves teenaged characters with black clothes and magical cats so much.
Thinking about it, how many characters are canonically under 18 in Smash Bros, ignoring Pokemon?

:ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig::ulthero::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultike:(in PoR) :ultjoker::ultlittlemac::ultlucas::ultmegaman::ultness::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultroy::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: (maybe:ultzelda:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Whereas SNK, Square and Konami we perfectly fine with Nintendo leaking their stuff
Hey, having a codename leak because dataminers (Hero) isn't necessarily Nintendo's fault!
Honestly I just don't care about anything anymore after this, even life. This is why I'm working hard. I want to buy this pass but it didn't meet what I truky wanted. All my hard work, all that? All for nothing except my future, perhaps. I don't care for it all. **** it all.
...Hard work for something that was decided before Ultimate even came out?
After Sakurai apologized for Rex not making it saying he's too recent, if they put Byleth in first it's going to make that excuse look a lot less meaningful. Or that's how I will feel about it at least. I get that DLC and base roster are different things but if he's going to add characters from games that recent I preferred he wouldn't have given that specific reason to apologize. That said, I would be down for Byleth because I like my Fire Emblem. Though I think Edelgard would be more interesting, Byleth is the more obvious choice.
So maybe doubt in Astral Chain getting a character either? That's an untested IP that came out after Ultimate's base game, and Splatoon couldn't get in 4's DLC.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
So maybe doubt in Astral Chain getting a character either? That's an untested IP that came out after Ultimate's base game, and Splatoon couldn't get in 4's DLC.
Well, Corrin did make it in into Smash 4 after all, so who knows what'll happen. Though not everyone was particularly enthusiastic about Corrin lol. And it also depends on how Sakurai feels about it, if he thinks it's no problem to add more recent first party titles as DLC without characters he regretted not being to include to the roster earlier he will just do so I guess.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thinking about it, how many characters are canonically under 18 in Smash Bros, ignoring Pokemon?

:ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig::ulthero::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultike:(in PoR) :ultjoker::ultlittlemac::ultlucas::ultmegaman::ultness::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultroy::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: (maybe:ultzelda:)
Tbf Mega Man’s a literal robot and Pit/Dark Pit are angels with no real concept of age, with Pit stating he’s been around for at least 25 years

I guess :ultvillager:s age is ambiguous as they’re supposed to be someone the player can project onto

also ain’t :ultsonic: 15-16? Though idk how old that is in Hedgehog

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The "fighter's pass" pretty much lost all it's super exclusivity once we learned more DLC was coming and it could be upwards of 10 more.
It IS kinda weird that they announced that there was more DLC after pack 4 instead of after the last pack.

Imagine the emotional roller coaster of the pass ending and people despairing over their character not getting in, only to THEN get the announcement that more characters are coming...

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Well, Corrin did make it in into Smash 4 after all, so who knows what'll happen. Though not everyone was particularly enthusiastic about Corrin lol. And it also depends on how Sakurai feels about it, if he thinks it's no problem to add more recent first party titles as DLC without characters he regretted not being to include to the roster earlier he will just do so I guess.
Corrin was from an existing fighter-repped series tho; like didn't they put in placeholders for "the new Pokemon" for both 4 and Ultimate or something? Even presumptuous Roy wasn't the first Fire Emblem character they added in Melee. Is there such an example of an addition that was such a new, untested franchise to go off of?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Mfw reading the gender talk and I'm just here happy that whatever we'll get will be cool video game Characters that marked history or will mark history by being DLC 5.
IMG_20191117_111720.jpg

There some talks that are beyond my comprehension , just enjoy the game because it's a game. Not because whoever you play have a master sword or not down there...

Like... let's all chill.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Can we stop attacking (or trolling) people for their preferences when it comes to character choice, please? If you can't talk about it politely, then it's probably best not to talk about it at all.
Nothing personal on the person of focus, but how about instead of making a post about the people trolling, you mods curb the person ranting? This is a Newcomer/DLC speculation thread, is it not? Then why are we allowing this rodeo to go on?

It's not fair to the rest of us trying talk about the actual topic of this thread to constantly have our feed filled up with a person's rants about their ideologies and why Smash isn't pandering to them. I personally really enjoy the contributions made by this person when they are on topic, but I completely disagree with the ideologies he/she espouses. I am very well equipped to take that ideology on in a way that would make him/her extremely uncomfortable, but I don't do it because this isn't the place.

Please do the other 28+ on here a favor and intervene, for that person's sake and for ours.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Nothing personal on the person of focus, but how about instead of making a post about the people trolling, you mods curb the person ranting? This is a Newcomer/DLC speculation thread, is it not? Then why are we allowing this rodeo to go on?

It's not fair to the rest of us trying talk about the actual topic of this thread to constantly have our feed filled up with a person's rants about their ideologies and why Smash isn't pandering to them. I personally really enjoy the contributions made by this person when they are on topic, but I completely disagree with the ideologies he/she espouses. I am very well equipped to take that ideology on in a way that would make him/her extremely uncomfortable, but I don't do it because this isn't the place.

Please do the other 28+ on here a favor and intervene, for that person's sake and for ours.
Literally, the mods do absolutely nothing except “uhm please stop.” They need to look into the situation and see that this person has been doing this the past 2 months.

I would assume people are trolling because they are sick of the constant banter from said person. I wasn’t even trolling in my Replies To them, just stating they NEED to take a break from the internet.

The ball is in your court Mods. Do something about it for once.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
If Raiden got into Smash, would he be a Snake echo or a Bayo echo?
3-1.jpg

For real though, it's not an issue to do with the misogyny of Smash Brothers producers, Sakurai or Nintendo themselves which results in fewer female characters than we'd like but it's an industry wide problem which generates a lack of female video game protagonists in comparison to an abundance of male protagonists. I'd really like some more gender *and* race variety in Smash, but you'll see the more popular fighter picks are results of a male dominated workplace in the industry and thus either very sexualised women or hyper masculine men.

Now obviously there are exceptions, but on a general scale my point applies. Also why the **** are people feminist bashing in a Smash thread? Get a life lol.

D

Deleted member

I know we've got a lot of pokemon already, but does anybody think its possible that one of the reps for the second wave of DLC will be a Gen 8 pokemon? I'd honestly like the whole second wave to be in-house characters as opposed to third party again, but in Sakurai's quest to make the 'Ultimate' Smash bros game, I don't know if that'll happen lol.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
What are some new gen Pokémon you would pick?

I would personally still love a lot of prior gen Pokémon in the game. Lycanroc could be interesting or maybe Lunala. I'm a little tired of starters being the Pokémon of choice to add.

D

Deleted member

I would personally still love a lot of prior gen Pokémon in the game. Lycanroc could be interesting or maybe Lunala. I'm a little tired of starters being the Pokémon of choice to add.
I want Gengar, Zoroark and Darkrai as fighters, tbh.

D

Deleted member

I know we've got a lot of pokemon already, but does anybody think its possible that one of the reps for the second wave of DLC will be a Gen 8 pokemon? I'd honestly like the whole second wave to be in-house characters as opposed to third party again, but in Sakurai's quest to make the 'Ultimate' Smash bros game, I don't know if that'll happen lol.
If we don't get Gen 8 spirits anytime soon, yes. I don't see why Sakurai wouldn't promote recent titles like Gen 8 or Three Houses

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
I want Gengar, Zoroark and Darkrai as fighters, tbh.
wow fight me on Pokken.

Gengar is such a good pick which I frequently see. I think that would be a really fun one with an interesting floaty moveset. Poison cloud, good grabs and slash jabs could all be fun components of his moveset.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
girls are rad, girl characters are rad, series and characters that appeal to women are also rad. phoenix wright 4 smash

RILLABOOM WIN

Gen 8 Pokemon talk exhausts me (even though SwSh is super cute and fun and I love the new Mon designs) because it feels like people just see it as an inevitability which inherently makes speculation less fun, but I love Grookey and the whole Grookey evo line.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
How many times do I have to say this: I have no faith in future DLC. I cannot wait. There has to be a female in the pass, and it's the last one, whether you like it or not. Call me stubborn, but it's my decision. I cannot afford to wait longer.

Call me crazy, but I lost all hope in the future DLC when @Ben Holt uploaded his render of his wishlist which contained all males. Thus, I suspected that that could be the most probable course, and since then, I have no expectations for future DLC and will just quit Smash if FP5 won't be female. That is my stance.

Pardon me, but this decision, all this? It's all me. I set my fate in stone once I bet on this pass. No women in Fighters Pass, I'll quit Smash, and probably...I don't want to say it. It'll threaten you all.

I know my blathering won't do anything, but it's the sign that I've had enough of speculation, AND EVERYTHING HERE, period. I just wnat a good, honest, down-to-****ing-earth truth and conclusion that came from either Nintendo or the higher-ups and I'll accept it to heart. I just don't want people playing guessing games without any logical and truthful conversation whatsoever.

This is my decision, and I can't change it. Just...just...just...don't talk to me about this anymore. I've had enough. I've reached my breaking point multiple times. Please, I want answers. I. JUST. WANT. ANSWERS.

Careful with threats. With this climate of school shootings and suicide rates someone could report you with fear of you doing harm to someone else or yourself.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I’d honestly love to have Sirfetch’d as a character, even though it’s highly unlikely he’d get chosen.

I also thought an Ultra Beast would have been cool, Buzzwole seemed like he’d be a fun fighter.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
I’d honestly love to have Sirfetch’d as a character, even though it’s highly unlikely he’d get chosen.

I also thought an Ultra Beast would have been cool, Buzzwole seemed like he’d be a fun fighter.
Buzzwole was a team staple of mine in SuMo. Such a fun character and a cool design. His taunt better be a JoJo pose.

D

Deleted member

Rillaboom would fill the grass starter trio people clamored for with Decidueye. I also love the inside memes my friends came up with. He's the new gen Pokemon I want the most.

I'm not really that big on Pokemon anymore, but someone from Gen 4 or 2 would get me off my seat and applaud Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

Me personally? I'll spoiler tag them incase there are some who haven't gotten and are remaining unspoiled.

Intelleon, the final form Water starter would be an interesting one what with his 'spy' theme and all. I could see him playing similar to Greninja a little, sure, but they could easily cater to his 'chameleon' scheme with a temp invisibility ability and his signature move would be a water sniper bullet. Cinderace is Masuda's favorite and I love his signature ability; he could be a great quick brawler. I wouldn't mind seeing Grimmsnarl, Toxtricity, or Obstagoon either. I feel like they could all fit. As much as I love Hatterene, I'm not sure how she'd work lol.

If not a straight up representative, I'd settle for more new Pokeballs added with them in there lol. That's probably asking for MORE than a character addition, but like 5 of the new Galar pokemon would be pretty cool.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I've made up a fan rule!

No version exclusive pokemon! :ultpacman:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I would love for them to subvert expectations regarding Gen 8, whether the Pokemon isn't a fully evolved starter or it's something that got in because of years of popularity rather than being from the new gen.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace

For me, I'd personally choose either a Johto pkmn trainer with Totodile, Bayleef, and Typhlosion, or a Hoenn trainer with Torchic, Marshtomp, and Sceptile (I know, starters galore).
But if we're going with non-starters, I'd like something like Gengar, Garchomp, or Croagunk and adapt their Pokken moveset. For gen 8, I'd choose either Sirfetch'd or Toxtricity

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Buzzwole was a team staple of mine in SuMo. Such a fun character and a cool design. His taunt better be a JoJo pose.
just looking at Buzzwole’s concept art makes look like a perfect Smash fighter. I don’t hate Incineroar by any means, but I’ll always be a tad bit disappointed we didn’t get a bodybuilder mosquito.
934DD736-2F50-44ED-A721-4F8AF8C14B45.jpeg

His concept art even comes with pre-made attacks for Smash!

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Goddamnit! I know that there are more fascinating Bandai Namco alternatives, and I advocate unfamiliar and or unconventional characters and s***. I also want Velvet Crowe, T-elos, and Reiko Nagase from Ridge Racer immensely, and Jack or Kazumi Mishima from Tekken to a lesser extent. Though right now I'm going to promote someone that would bring a kick-ass new movement option to Super Smash.

We customarily associate the :GCD::GCDR::GCR: input with projectiles such as Hadoken and - from Fatal Fury Special onward - Power Wave. However, the motion has other uses and my favorite is Angel Step by far because of its significance and versatility. Angel Step is the primary means of movement, attack, and defense for the person who employs it. It can never be used mindlessly because the numerous follow-up attacks it enables require proper execution, spacing, and timing. For instance, it is a mobile counter but its counter window is very short and you are still susceptible to being attacked. In order to perform certain strikes you also need to be the proper distance from your opponent. If you press forward or quickly input the motion a second time, the character gains momentum, crouches closer to the ground and uses a maneuver called Angel Twin Step with its own set of uses. This sounds intimidating but try to envision a character who can bring a mechanic like this to Super Smash. It originates from a three dimensional fighting game but it is honestly more fitting for a two dimensional one and would be easy af to implement.

We could get all that s*** from just one move assigned to directional buttons only. A new way to manuever and approach; a new way to dodge and counter; and a new way to combo and use follow-up attacks.

Now I'm going to praise the character like they praise their long forgotten gods.

Sophitia is the kind of character I would ordinarily pay no attention to. On the surface she is an uninspired holy soldier; a cookie cutter girl scout. Boring. That is, until you realize that she fights like a complete savage. This betch doesn't mind resorting to neck snaps and groin attacks; she will launch herself at you with all of her weight ass first if it means total victory. Sophitia is genuinely sorry for doing so, but she apologizes with an ambience of dignity and confidence. There isn't a line she won't cross to do what she believes is right and she ended up being a total badass.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

I'd personally would pick Lycanroc, but I'd probably pull a loophole and Pick Cynthia the Champion just so I can three Pokémon in one character: Milotic, Spiritomb (or Glaceon), and of course Garchomp.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace

Hat-waifu if we're stuck with one.
Multi-generational TCG rep with cards from the new gen, if we could get something truly new.

Ball Guy if we're stuck with something purely Galar, but not restricted to Pokemon (guaranteed to be a Mii-Fighter Helmet, at least).

Edit: Soul Calibur-wise, never happening, but I'd rather see Tira.
Yoshimitsu gets you the 2-for-one angle too, and I'd at least prefer that over Heihachi, TBQH. >_>

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Blaze can work as a Sonic echo.

They have more or less the same moveset but are visually distinct enough to actually feel like different characters, plus Blaze is already one of the more popular Sonic characters so I doubt anyone would complain if she were included
Blaze is one if the best characters of the cast, and would be accepted as an echo if the company would actually use her again. She should have been in Forced over Classic Sonic.

Most of the time Smash ends things on a low note compared to the beginning.

"Olimar isn't hype enough to be the final newcomer" - Smash Brawl
"Shulk isn't popular enough to be the final newcomer" - Smash 4
"Bayonetta and Corrin are nowhere near as noteworthy as Ryu and Cloud" - Smash 4 DLC
"Ken/Incineroar aren't hype enough to be the final new characters revealed" - Smash Ultimate

I think pattern suggests that Smash cycles end on a lower note compared to their start, I think it is safe to assume that here too.

Lloyd/Yuri/Tales of rep are looking extremely likely right now, although there is a small chance we may end up getting other "lesser known" characters like KOS-MOS, Nightmare, Adol, Sol, Ragna etc. I wouldn't expect a mindblowing reveal if the cycle repeats itself. Tales of definitely looks like the series that has the best shot of getting in though.
If Raiden got into Smash, would he be a Snake echo or a Bayo echo?

For real though, it's not an issue to do with the misogyny of Smash Brothers producers, Sakurai or Nintendo themselves which results in fewer female characters than we'd like but it's an industry wide problem which generates a lack of female video game protagonists in comparison to an abundance of male protagonists. I'd really like some more gender *and* race variety in Smash, but you'll see the more popular fighter picks are results of a male dominated workplace in the industry and thus either very sexualised women or hyper masculine men.

Now obviously there are exceptions, but on a general scale my point applies. Also why the **** are people feminist bashing in a Smash thread? Get a life lol.
You know, Shantae would be a great addition while checking off both the female and the non-white boxes. Not to mention a spunky, emotive character, unique silhouette, one of the oldest indies, history with Nintendo, great music, huge variety for potential moveset, works with color theory, another possible fun-even-if-less-popular samurai comment, wouldnt have to get Mai'd, less hype worthy to finish the pass with, has a merchandise leak slated for early next year, company refuses to mention anything about Smash online, and has a new game slated to come out soon but has no news on when officially when there really should be an announcement by now if it's getting delayed. And many other bread crumbs.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Blaze is one if the best characters of the cast, and would be accepted as an echo if the company would actually use her again. She should have been in Forced over Classic Sonic.

You know, Shantae would be a great addition while checking off both the female and the non-white boxes. Not to mention a spunky, emotive character, unique silhouette, one of the oldest indies, history with Nintendo, great music, huge variety for potential moveset, works with color theory, another possible fun-even-if-less-popular samurai comment, wouldnt have to get Mai'd, less hype worthy to finish the pass with, has a merchandise leak slated for early next year, company refuses to mention anything about Smash online, and has a new game slated to come out soon but has no news on when officially when there really should be an announcement by now if it's getting delayed. And many other bread crumbs.
Shantae is straight up the most perfect choice for smash, makes it a tragedy that she's deconfirmed.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
just looking at Buzzwole’s concept art makes look like a perfect Smash fighter. I don’t hate Incineroar by any means, but I’ll always be a tad bit disappointed we didn’t get a bodybuilder mosquito.

His concept art even comes with pre-made attacks for Smash!
His stage would obviously be the Ultra Jungle with the flexing trees!

Ultra Jungle.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom