• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia Game Signups | Newcomer Information [New to dGames? Come Here First]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I can still see my post from 2 months ago on the very same page...

Thread's dead~

Been waiting on the same game for several months as well. :tired:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
That's because there's a shortage of new people. If you want the game to start, try and get your friends to play.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
i feel like the fact that new people have to wait months and months for a game to start is just going to discourage them from wanting to check back, or sign up for more games. I bet some of those people aren't even interested anymore.

There's only 2 spots left. J should consider just letting anyone fill those slots so the rest of the eager newbies can start learning to play. And good luck wrangling in the people who signed up 3 months ago, and haven't posted back here since.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Pjb. We should probably just scrap the limit of 2-3 IC players and run games as small set ups that are open to whoever, but with priority given to new players. We could have a limit of "at least X newbies" and run the games under "Newbie Game Standards" in that all non-newbies are expected to be "Good ICs" or whatever.

Newbie Mafia 24!

Host: J

Theme: Spirited Away

1. STEM
2. Xiroey
3. Mari777
4. Holopaw
5. JPenJr71121
6. Vand (IC)
7. Swiss (IC)
8. Xonar (IC)
9. Gheb_01(IC)
As an example, I don't see why this would be a bad environment for new players to learn the ropes, assuming all the ICs play to the "spirit" of an IC.

And I just don't see the point in making newer players wait before they can join regular queue games (lets be honest, most mods are sceptical about allowing inexperienced players into their games). We should be trying to fast track these new faces into regular DGamers quicker. It'll probably help the activity around here :b:.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
my thoughts, thusly;

the queue's held up not for lack of ICs but because J wanted to run a game that was majority newbies. because there tends to be just a trickle of newbies, getting a whole bunch together takes longer than getting just a few, hence the delay.

i'm personally in favour of rebranding the newbie queue as 'short and sweet' and allowing anyone to run small (10 or less) simple setups, not exclusively for newbies, but allowing them to get a foot in the door. you could give newbies 1st shout by opening signups just to them at first. you could limit it to only common roles (e.g. roles on this page) and frequently run open setups as well. You could still have IC's depending on the setup (e.g. open/closed) and how many newbies are involved.

/putKaryinchargeandlookwhathappens

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
/in IC

1. STEM
2. Xiroey
3. Mari777
4. Holopaw
5. JPenJr71121
6. Vand (IC)
7. Swiss (IC)
8. Sworddancer. (IC)
9. Gheb_01(IC)

Less'a do this!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
4 IC players would've been overkill. Pretty sure Vand and I will be able to handle it.

:059:

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Would it actually though?

The point of a Newbie Game is to introduce new players to Forum Mafia in a friendly setting. I don't see how more than two ICs is contrary to this idea as long as no one uses a play style that is detrimental to the fundamentals we are trying to teach.

I don't see the point in making newbies wait 3 months before they can play in a newbie game, in order to eventually join the regular queues when we're just short one or two players. Nor why a game of 6 Newbies 2 ICs necessarily makes for a better learning environment than 4 Newbies 4 ICs. If we had this influx of people wanting to sign up, well yeah, 2 ICs would be fine, but why stall the sign up process when it's obvious we just don't have that many newbies joining right now?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I would in as IC/SE/Newbie to join with Turaz, as he trusts me the most because of my moostache.

Yet, I have work study and even now I have to sleep and don't think I have the time for it :[ (Just weekends until May)

I don't see a problem with there being some IC's and regular Dgamers, but just as Semi-experienced, so it's not a "OH NO FOUR ICIES? IMPOSSIBLE AS NEWB SCUM" mindsets.

So yeah, I'm saying that at least there be 2 IC's, and the rest can be Newbies + SE's, priority given to Newbies of course. So that makes it less overkill, I don't think Newbies would be afraid of SE's, because it doesn't have that 'IC' stigma breathing all over their necks while they are being *******d by Pyramid Head.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Imo newbies should be allowed in regular games, but they should receive a special newbie modifier to make the game easier for them. Like if they get cop, the role should be modified into a new role called cop & drop, where they get reports and if they check mafia, they automatically vig them on the same night of the investigation.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Imo newbies should be allowed in regular games, but they should receive a special newbie modifier to make the game easier for them. Like if they get cop, the role should be modified into a new role called cop & drop, where they get reports and if they check mafia, they automatically vig them on the same night of the investigation.
That seems kind of drastic. I just think the newbie queue needs to be active, like it was when I started playing. There were players besides ICs who had been in games before (like badwolf and vinyl for example) and that helped the games fill up fast enough to keep them running. There was no shortage of new games to play in, so I stuck around. If I had to wait 3+ months to play though, I'd have gotten mad at how slow and disorganized the newbie scene was, and wouldn't have come back.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I don't really see what you guys have against modified roles. If anything, they level the playing field and make the game more enjoyable for new players. If you think that a role like cop and drop is too drastic, then it could even be more subtle. Like experienced players being hated townies and newbie players having a double count vote ability so that they can get accustomed to leading or having thread power in a game, which they often do not.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Changing the roles at all because a newbie got it is a dumb idea. Setups are balanced around what roles are in them, and if you start arbitrarily buffing roles, you throw the setup's balance out of whack.

Town Cop got assigned to a newbie, so you think it's fair to change the role into a vig who never accidentally kills townies, when the mafia team was balanced around Town having a Cop? He doesn't even have to claim in thread in order to reveal results and get the scummers lynched, cuz they already died. All this guy needs to do is survive and he'll win the game for the town. That role is extremely strong, and the setup would need to be specifically balanced around it's existence. I get that the guy using the role is a newbie, but what if he's just smart enough to play it right? It's just game over, and he certainly didn't learn anything cuz all he figured out was how to play a role that will never exist again.

Newbie gets doublevote in setup that wasn't ready for it? Town IC is hated townie, and terrible newbie doublevoters singlehandedly remove him from the game. OR newbies all roll scum, and have doublevotes, so they get majority stupid early. Even just one doublevote in the hands of the mafia equals an early lylo, especially when there are townies who need fewer votes to lynch running around.

If you're gonna design a setup to have those kinds of roles in them, then the setup needs to be designed to have those roles in them. Otherwise it's not balanced anymore.

Trying to give newbies handicaps is just... not a good idea. They need to just learn to play as a vanilla townie/mafia goon before you go giving them extra perks that aren't related to fundamentals. Teach 'em how to scumhunt/look like they're scumhunting. Let 'em worry about how to play a role later, or at least play roles they have a chance of seeing again.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I agree, Mafia is serious business. Would rather give newbies tough love and make them play with the role they get. We aren't here to coddle them.

I think playing more skype mafia/aim mafia can be welcoming to newbies, because it's not as serious there and you can expirement with roles more and not have people butthurt, well not as much as in srs games.

I find skypemaf/aimaf/IRL mafia to be more sociable than Forum maf. Just cuz.

Swiss

Smash Lord
I don't really see what you guys have against modified roles. If anything, they level the playing field and make the game more enjoyable for new players. If you think that a role like cop and drop is too drastic, then it could even be more subtle. Like experienced players being hated townies and newbie players having a double count vote ability so that they can get accustomed to leading or having thread power in a game, which they often do not.
Dumb.

Changing the roles at all because a newbie got it is a dumb idea. Setups are balanced around what roles are in them, and if you start arbitrarily buffing roles, you throw the setup's balance out of whack.

Town Cop got assigned to a newbie, so you think it's fair to change the role into a vig who never accidentally kills townies, when the mafia team was balanced around Town having a Cop? He doesn't even have to claim in thread in order to reveal results and get the scummers lynched, cuz they already died. All this guy needs to do is survive and he'll win the game for the town. That role is extremely strong, and the setup would need to be specifically balanced around it's existence. I get that the guy using the role is a newbie, but what if he's just smart enough to play it right? It's just game over, and he certainly didn't learn anything cuz all he figured out was how to play a role that will never exist again.

Newbie gets doublevote in setup that wasn't ready for it? Town IC is hated townie, and terrible newbie doublevoters singlehandedly remove him from the game. OR newbies all roll scum, and have doublevotes, so they get majority stupid early. Even just one doublevote in the hands of the mafia equals an early lylo, especially when there are townies who need fewer votes to lynch running around.

If you're gonna design a setup to have those kinds of roles in them, then the setup needs to be designed to have those roles in them. Otherwise it's not balanced anymore.

Trying to give newbies handicaps is just... not a good idea. They need to just learn to play as a vanilla townie/mafia goon before you go giving them extra perks that aren't related to fundamentals. Teach 'em how to scumhunt/look like they're scumhunting. Let 'em worry about how to play a role later, or at least play roles they have a chance of seeing again.
Not dumb.

Also the modified roles opens up more gambits, making the game more difficult and allowing any scum IC with half a brain cell to abuse it. Ofc with Vanz as an IC town will be safe but... :awesome:

Swiss

Smash Lord
I find skypemaf/aimaf/IRL mafia to be more sociable than Forum maf. Just cuz.
You find talking with people in real life or social websites & tools more sociable than talking with people in a protracted game who are often not online at the same time as you.

You truly are a revelation, Ranmaru.

Next week, Ranmaru analyses why watching people talk about something you enjoy isn't quite as fun as going and doing it.

#HBC | BadWolf

Crusader of Ponies
You find talking with people in real life or social websites & tools more sociable than talking with people in a protracted game who are often not online at the same time as you.

You truly are a revelation, Ranmaru.

Next week, Ranmaru analyses why watching people talk about something you enjoy isn't quite as fun as going and doing it.
Followed by a seminar on how to be an ******* by Swiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom