• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie 15 - Betty Crocker Mafia - Game Over!

MARaTHonman

Smash Rookie
I guess this is what I get for trying to be more a more active poster :L I will admit that my wording could have been a **** ton better lol, I will try to be more clear so my posts don't get misinterpreted.
I think this reaction is very interesting. He responded to my question by saying people thought he was suspicious because of posting a lot and taking stances. I was trying to see if he thought people perceived him as scummy for the wording. It still seems like he's sticking to the reason being his activity. This just seems like newb play to me.

And it seemed like he was trying to apply meta about himself to Sokr, which seemed really odd.

@ Ori Do you think people have good reason to vote you because of what Gheb said in his posts?

asianaussie said:
Marathonman is possible scum, replies only when spoken to, makes very general comments that 'go with the crowd', to use his own words. What's interesting is that he implies 'going with the crowd' is scummy, but then writes it off as newb behaviour. Is this reluctance to take a stance? Is this covering for his own behaviour?
When I said "go with the crowd" I meant that he took stances but was convinced to change them when people posted about them, at least that is the feeling I got. I wasn't trying to imply it was scummy.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
1. Terywj (1) MM
2. Sokr ()
3. Serin (1) Ori
4. John2k4 ()
5. asianaussie (2) John, S2
6. Ori_Bro (2) Gheb, Sokr
7. MARaTHonmann (1) AA
8. Gheb ()
9. Sold2 ()

Not voting - Tery, Serin

With 9 playing, it takes 5 to lynch!

Deadline is November 17th at 11:59 PM CST (GMT-6)!

John2k4

The End of an Era
That's not really a bad thing...I've seen my fair share of people wait until they have solid evidence to vote on someone.

John2k4

The End of an Era
On that topic, why didn't you point out Serin for not voting, either?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I would label my main concern as Ori_bro, but I'm not going to put at L1. That's just asking for problems. I'm gonna look into Asianaussie, as I feel some of the content is "questionable". Other than that, mostly nulls all around. This is a Newbie game, after al.

I'm back home for the weekend, so I can't give any exact placement on my activity for the next couple of days.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I removed my vote from you, and placed it on Ori. I did an EBWOP to make the vote more clear. :p

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ok, makes sense

i wasn't expecting Sokr to up and oblige me like that (the voting ori thing)...well, now there's a bunch of votes of ori i guess, he should be making a nice, long post sometime soon

MARaTHonman

Smash Rookie
That's not really a bad thing...I've seen my fair share of people wait until they have solid evidence to vote on someone.
I know. I'm not saying it's scummy or anything, I was just interested in his response. And I asked Tery cause he was first on the votecount list. So, serin, same question. Why aren't you voting for someone right now?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Marathon, whose play are you referring to

and john, one of my big-*** posts took points from both of those posts, it's not like i don't know about them

That applies to 7/9 of the people here... :/
not really, there are mistakes and there are newbie mistakes, but i dunno if the question is relevant until i know who he's talking about

John2k4

The End of an Era
No one said he was making newbie mistakes...the question was of "Is he playing like a new person would?"...

MARaTHonman

Smash Rookie
Marathon, whose play are you referring to

and john, one of my big-*** posts took points from both of those posts, it's not like i don't know about them

not really, there are mistakes and there are newbie mistakes, but i dunno if the question is relevant until i know who he's talking about
I was talking about Ori and the bolded is the distinction I was trying to get at.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
actually, john is right, there isn't much of a distinction

it's a hard thing to ask - newbies play in different ways...tbh you can't pull much but baseless conjecture from this sort of question regardless

he's acting a bit like i was as newbie scum, but that shouldn't mean much with the above in mind

MARaTHonman

Smash Rookie
actually, john is right, there isn't much of a distinction

it's a hard thing to ask - newbies play in different ways...tbh you can't pull much but baseless conjecture from this sort of question regardless

he's acting a bit like i was as newbie scum, but that shouldn't mean much with the above in mind
That third sentence seems a little odd. Ori said the same about Sokr.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
yes marathon, and im saying neither is acceptable as a convincing scumtell, especially since it's concerning newbie meta as opposed to an individual's meta

im waiting for sold and more importantly ori to respond

i want sokr to talk a bit more about who he thinks is town (fence-sitters are better at this than they are at talking about scum)

i want tery to talk about scumpicks, tentative or otherwise, when he has them

i myself still don't have concrete scumpicks, since i fence-sit a lot, but out of everyone, im following up on ori and marathon, because i gotta feeling

and im going to say something - it's perfectly possible gheb or sold are scum, so don't hesitate to vote them if they come back and say something silly - nobody has voted for them yet, have they?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
not much, if anything you're really quite focused on ori even though there's been plenty of stuff to talk about since his last post

feels like you're riding the IC-driven ori wagon

why do you think i made a big case on ori but then proceeded to vote you?

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Reason I'm not voting is because I don't really see Ori as scum, but rather an awkwardly playing town. I wouldn't necessarily keep him from being hammered, but I'm not willing to put my vote towards him anyways.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Sure, it's possible that Sold/Gheb are scum. Heck, there's a small chance they could even be a scum team!
The fact to the matter is: pursue the people with the strongest scum reads / most suspicious play, and try to find out as much about them as possible. Look for them "backdooring" on things they have said, take notes on their behavior, etc.

Since Sold's the more active of the two, I'd keep an eye on him, but you likely won't be getting anything from him this early on.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
i want sokr to talk a bit more about who he thinks is town (fence-sitters are better at this than they are at talking about scum)
What good would knowing who he thinks is town do? FoS AA

Reason I'm not voting is because I don't really see Ori as scum, but rather an awkwardly playing town. I wouldn't necessarily keep him from being hammered, but I'm not willing to put my vote towards him anyways.
That only explains why you are not voting Ori. It doesn't explain why you're not voting anybody at all.

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Sokr, I'd like you to ignore AA's request until he provides solid reasoning on how it's beneficial to share town reads.

Sokr

Smash Journeyman
Sokr, I'd like you to ignore AA's request until he provides solid reasoning on how it's beneficial to share town reads.

Actually, the reason I unvoted Ori was because I got him and Tery mixed up. I've got a null read on Tery. I was planning on putting a vote on Ori anyways.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Alright I have one class left then I'll be free to post more.

For tge moment...
Unvote

Looking back on it, i was dumb for voting Serin. I'm taking everything back (even though I really didnt have much on him to begin with).

I'm going to read through and realyy dive into this.

:phone:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Generally a bad idea. There's a lot of different opinions on this. Talking about who's town makes it easier for scum to understand the townie mentality and fit in. One of scums ironic disadvantages, especially apparent at lower levels of play, is that they know 100% for sure that everyone but their partner is town, sans independent parties. It also gives scum a map for who to kill at night. With no doctor, it's easy for them to target whoever is generally considered the most helpful.

I was going to say when it's a good idea to talk about who's town but now I see gheb's post. I'd like to note that I started writing this post a billion hours ago so nyeh screw you gheb.

@sold: yeah I was advice dogging for a good period (everything before my 'yesterday') and fluffing too, but that was because there wasn't a good deal to pursue then.
Doesn't justify it but at least you didn't try and claim you weren't doing it or something.
Yesterday I was out shopping + swimming and then friends came over, so I was reduced to incredibly meagre posts,
Bull****... haha.
Why? A smart scum team would target either someone who hasn't talked or an IC, if they're jerks. Unless you're somehow spot on with your reads, which I'll get to in a sec.
People who don't talk are easy mislynches, therefore they usually avoid a bullet. People who don't have many connections are good shots, and people who

I'm getting distracted too easily. I started writing this post at like 10:00 AM but now I can't remember if there was anything else I wanted to put in.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i just want sokr to speak up a little about the game in general

if you want him to remain silent then that's on you, pal

Bull****... haha.
fine, i drove one[/'b] friend back to my place and we played pokemon stadium minigames and i watched him be bad at devil may cry 3

People who don't talk are easy mislynches, therefore they usually avoid a bullet. People who don't have many connections are good shots, and people who
Yeah, I was getting at the no-connections thing but I wasn't clear enough, thanks for clearing it up.

aizen where you at

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Unsure whether to characterize most of the discussions as newbie-friendly or questionable, so I'm having a hard time differentiating a vote that I like.

Sokr

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the lack of posts. I tend to have a hard time coming up with things to discuss early on in the game before much discussion has happened. And yeah, i know, i should try to get discussions started, but I'm unfamiliar with how to do so.

:phone:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Don't be sorry about it, work and fix it, that's the point of newbie games :)

Scour the posts for things you don't like or points you want to push, look for and question intent behind actions and don't be afraid to just throw questions you want answered out there.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
i just want sokr to speak up a little about the game in general
But we don't want him to talk about the game in general - something he probably lacks the experience to adequately do already anyway.

Unsure whether to characterize most of the discussions as newbie-friendly or questionable, so I'm having a hard time differentiating a vote that I like.
Fence-sitting like that is a big reason why most towns struggle to get a solid lynch through on Day 1 in newbie games. If you look at regular games you'll see people like Ryker, Kuz, Swiss or myself going straight to business without BSing around. The longer you keep on waiting in the "I'm having a hard time differentiating a vote that I like"-zone the harder it'll become for you to find something agreeable later on over the course of the Day.

If you're having a hard time differentiating things do something about it. Push / Nudge the people you are unsure about, ask them questions, gather an impression and form an opinion based on that. As a townie you have no reason the wait for somebody else to do this for you.

Sorry for the lack of posts. I tend to have a hard time coming up with things to discuss early on in the game before much discussion has happened. And yeah, i know, i should try to get discussions started, but I'm unfamiliar with how to do so.
There is no definite plan to "get discussion started". Look at the thread again and point our statements you don't like or think are suspicious. Now.

Top Bottom