• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newb Falco Tips?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yeah. Start reading all the useful topics here, play a lot with Falco so that you get used to his physics, make sure you know your attacks' lengths and how long they last, watch some videos every once in a while to get an idea of what to implement into your playstyle...

... and get worse at being bad. By doing so, you'll get better at being good.

J4pu

Smash Champion
learn how to pitch a tent,
know how to start a campfire,
get used to being in the wilderness (how you can play brawl without electricity I don't know, but falcos somehow manage)
etc. etc.

o0 DR3W 0o

Smash Cadet
Here's some things you can do to hopefully improve your Falco:

- Post videos of your Falco in combat. That way people can critique it and teach you some new stuff.
- Watch videos of Falco players to get an idea of what to do in battle.
- Ask questions if you are confused! People here are pretty kind and are willing to answer.
- Check out the guides/advanced techniques thread/matchup thread (all of which are very useful) to read up on Falco overall.
- Practice what you learn, whether it be online or offline. Something is better than nothing!

Enjoy and good luck in your efforts. ;)

run away and camp
get used to being in the wilderness (how you can play brawl without electricity I don't know, but falcos somehow manage)
etc. etc.
Remember to always, I mean ALWAYS, protect your bread.
downthrow.
You guys are lame.
^lol

I'll give a short and long intro to falco.

In short, make sure you apply these 3 things into falco's gameplay, they really help:
-His ability to CG people for excellent damage or stock.
-IAP or Immediate Aerial Phantasm, basically all it does is make falco's SideB attack end more quickly upon landing, which is useful. To perform just press the jump button and then execute a sideB. If done correctly, it should look like he never left the ground.
-SHDL/SHL, Short Hop Double Laser and Short Hop Laser. Pretty much perform a Short Hop and then fire a laser with correct timing. A SHL should come out just before he hits the ground. A SHDL should have one come out at the peak and bottom of the Shorthop.

Some better advice is when to use what in a given situation.

1) If you ever hope to proceed far with falco in skill, DO NOT try to force the chaingrab if you keep missing. The reason you are missing is that the person is predicting you, and avoiding your attempts to grab. CG someone when they mess up, not before hand.

2) The whole idea of falco's gameplay is to try to pressure the other person into making the first move so that you can punish them for it. It is too come for people to use falco in a very aggresive way. This can be effective, but then you lose out on another aspect of Falcos gameplay. This means you should use plenty of lasers to try to get people to advance. You can use the IAP tech to get away if you are being pressured. But the same warning with the chaingrab. Overusage against a skilled opponent will cause you problems.

3) It is very easy for someone to play falco in a very one sided manner. Typically you see falco players being either really aggresive (mostly because they cannot perform lasers) or very campy. You want to avoid doing this. Falco is great because he can be very aggresive and very campy. Combining both aspects is the key to playing falco effectively. It avoids you being predictable which is a major factor in the higher levels of brawl.

What I just mentioned with 1), 2) and 3) are the things you should should strive for when you start to play brawl at higher levels of skill. For now, I would not expect you to achieve these things quickly if you are new to brawl. To achieve these goals will typically take a lot of practice and experience before you can apply those aspect consistently.

Good luck maining falco. *retreats back to snake/peach boards*

I needed a 100th post to make somewhere xD

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
etc. etc.
Im gonna make this my new sig. I hope u dont mind xD

Airborne

Smash Lord
i personally think that you should look at what falco is bad at just as much, if not, more, as/than his notable strengths; this will help because it will increase your chance of not falling as many situations where you can be taken advantage of. this includes:
-bad recovery; mix it up.
-kill power; it's alright in some conditions, but you have to know what moves kill, what position is best to make your opponent fall into your kill move, and mixing it up.

i'm not entirely sure of his other weaknesses, but read the falco board's guides, be aware of them, and try to find the best possible ways to completely avoid those situations of getting the **** gimped out of you. :)

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Since you are new here... don't make new threads for things like this. Use the Q&A threads, read all the informational threads, and post some of your videos. People can correct what you do in videos, its mad helpful.

AGENT-DOUBLE-D

Smash Rookie
tips for falco... im sure your aware that the walking downthrow chaingrab doesnt work on everybody in the cast, there is a way to chaingrab the rest of the cast that you cant get with that one...

you dthrow... sh dair... fast fall.... jab cancel regrab, i dont know if its a guaranteed chain, but when i do it correctly the opponent doesnt get away, and when you dair the enemy and they fall to the floor if they dont tech... the jab can pop them up and you can still cancel into a grab,

like i said im not sure if its a guaranteed chain, but its reliable nonetheless

iAteUrRamen

Smash Rookie
Don't chain-grab in wifi. I met people who's taunts are "Don't CG!!!", "CG newb", etc...

I don't think people like it o3o

Top Bottom