• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New way to render planking substantially less effective (that better?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Master
Food on low.

All this would do is prevent someone from running out the clock on the edge (unless they have a stock lead.) I think this benefit balances out the miniscule adverse effects (random healing upwards of like 8%)

Thoughts?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Lmao, is this serious or not? O_o

POKE40

Smash Lord

I see it now... fighting for food...
very good players would get it all the food items though. rather than the less very good players. lol

dunno... will peach be able to pull items out then ( can she pull items such as bomb boms out w/ no items on?)...if so probably food wouldn't be such as great idea... but it does make you think...

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
I can see it, but... I get this feeling that it wouldn't work for a lot of matchups. Some characters just couldn't get to the food fast enough anyway, and some people have that much of a lead with that little amount of time...

I don't think it'll work, but it's still a good idea. :o

ShadoFiend

Smash Lord
Lol.

But anyway I'll have to disagree with this. Stalling is a strategic part of the game. I have had to rely on it once and I won't lie about it. It was vs an Icees and the finals of a tournament. All they did was infinite and kill you and the time was low. I was in the lead. Instead of rushing in like an idiot I let those last 12 seconds roll off the clock getting me the win. Is it cheap? I guess you could say so. Is it effective? Yes, very.

And what makes you think a player won't just keep running the whole match collecting these food items to lower their health and avoiding the fight all together? That just causes another way of stalling.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I appreciate your thoughtfulness on this, but the metagame would then turn into grab the food item when it appears for other matchups.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
A novel idea, but I don't think we could really justify a means of making most other matches longer.

bobson

Smash Lord
What, exactly, is so horribly wrong with this idea? Besides HURR DURR ONLY SCRUBS USE ITEMS.

And what makes you think a player won't just keep running the whole match collecting these food items to lower their health and avoiding the fight all together? That just causes another way of stalling.
That won't work at all if the spawn rate is on low.

Mith_

Smash Champion
What, exactly, is so horribly wrong with this idea? Besides HURR DURR ONLY SCRUBS USE ITEMS.

That won't work at all if the spawn rate is on low.
I dunno it does seem interesting although I wouldn't approve of it. Having an item on in tourney play would make any competitive player cringe.

bobson

Smash Lord
I dunno it does seem interesting although I wouldn't approve of it. Having an item on in tourney play would make any competitive player cringe.
So it's HURR DURR ONLY SCRUBS USE ITEMS.

This place, I swear...

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't this introduce the possibility of D3 throwing a SmashBall?

I'm not really too familiar with the Good King's more obscure mechanics, but I seem to recall that all Items must be set to "Off" in order to remove the chance of a random SmashBall appearing. If that's the case, it seems like a poor idea to allow Food.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Guys stop ragging on the op so much, it might not be the best idea but at least the guy is trying. It's not a horrible idea either, although I'm not in favor of it. One problem with the idea though is it would also allow Dedede to randomly throw explosive item capsules instead of waddles.

bobson

Smash Lord
Wouldn't this introduce the possibility of D3 throwing a SmashBall?
No. It would, however, introduce the possibility of Dedede throwing cake at his opponent.

One problem with the idea though is it would also allow Dedede to randomly throw explosive item capsules instead of waddles.
Also no. Dedede can only throw items that are enabled.

Smash Master
Can one of the naysayers actually provide an argument?

As for the guy who said that a player with a very large lead could still plank: I think that player would win even without planking. Furthermore, if he starts stalling with so little time left that the food doesn't help, I wouldn't condiser that serious enough stalling to warrant a restriction on its use.

Planking is uncounterable for several matchups, and if people were to use it correctly, it would make several characters unviable just for that.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
"Competitive Scene", look it up.
Arguments about items in general have been done OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER.

It does NOT need to be explained AGAIN.

Smash Master
The only qualms with food in the competitive scene are that it appears randomly, giving one player a luck-based advantage. I've already acknowledged that. lern2readplz

IMO, this is a very small detriment, given the benefit, as I've outlined, but will explain again.

Planking is an uncounterable tactic in several matchups with characters with not-so-great recoveries and characters with no attacks that reach below the stage. This overcentralizes the metagame around those few characters who can effectively plank and resist planking. The problem is we cannot ban planking outright. Any time or number of ledge grabs criteria would be arbitrary, abused to the fullest, and difficult to enforce. To decentralize the metagame at the expense of some randomness, I've proposed we put food on low.

mild or spicy

Smash Cadet
looolllz i agree.^

planking IS broken. just like shino stalling and jiggly stallilng was in melee. there has to a counterable measure to this ****.
you say just confront the planker like his invinsibility frames and lagless moves aren't in the way.

Smash Master
I think Melee ledge stalling is more managable, because you can grab legde, and the engine was fast enough so that you could punish people as they landed on the stage. Brawl has the auto-sweetspot, and much slower movement, so the planker doesn't have to predict when his opponent will try to grab legde, and if they land on the stage, they can run to the other ledge before being punished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom