• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New way to render planking substantially less effective (that better?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
How about only when MK is picked? That way no one else feels the effects. And even if he doesn't plank, on Low spawn rate only about 8-9 food items AFAIK would appear in a match of average length.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
This "counter" to planking (Which still won't work if he has a large enough lead or is simply a stock up) in no way justifies making every other match longer.

It's not an issue of "Oh no we are competitive, items are for scrubs". No, it's that most of us realize that if you introduce HEALING items into a competitive setting, drawn out matches will be even worse, fast paced matches will no longer be as intense (So you knock them away, instead of following them you simply run in to get the grape that appeared to the left of you) and you will encourage more defensive play.

It's not a terrible idea, mind you. At least you didn't say "Let's turn on Starmen so that anyone could go and stop the planker."

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
Can one of the naysayers actually provide an argument?

As for the guy who said that a player with a very large lead could still plank: I think that player would win even without planking. Furthermore, if he starts stalling with so little time left that the food doesn't help, I wouldn't condiser that serious enough stalling to warrant a restriction on its use.

Planking is uncounterable for several matchups, and if people were to use it correctly, it would make several characters unviable just for that.
well, there's another similar scenario that i was thinking that this wouldn't solve.

say you start a match, both you and your opponent get in hits blah blah blah till you're both at a high percent. finally you land a kill move. now the opponent is back down to 0%. you start planking. and now, the food wont change anything. the person that just lost a stock wont gain anything from the food that appears, so you have no reason to approach and prevent the opponent from getting it.

the person that wants to plank doesn't necessarily need a large lead, just a simple stock advantage. and this kind of scenario would be pretty common if someone actually WAS planning to plank once they got the lead.

cutter

Smash Champion
How about only when MK is picked? That way no one else feels the effects. And even if he doesn't plank, on Low spawn rate only about 8-9 food items AFAIK would appear in a match of average length.
I should point out that G&W has some really savage planking as well.

Marth can also plank with that new AT he has by executing a really quick up B after ledgedropping.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
it seems like a good idea until an explosive capsule appears and ruins the day.

Ulevo

Smash Master
The theory seems sound, however this does not cover the fact that if you're a stock ahead, no amount of food is going to help you. Also, if I recall, I believe this allows King Dedede to spawn random items at his will. Don't quote me on that though.

Also, exploding Capsules are a no no.

ShadoFiend

Smash Lord
This "counter" to planking (Which still won't work if he has a large enough lead or is simply a stock up) in no way justifies making every other match longer.

It's not an issue of "Oh no we are competitive, items are for scrubs". No, it's that most of us realize that if you introduce HEALING items into a competitive setting, drawn out matches will be even worse, fast paced matches will no longer be as intense (So you knock them away, instead of following them you simply run in to get the grape that appeared to the left of you) and you will encourage more defensive play.

It's not a terrible idea, mind you. At least you didn't say "Let's turn on Starmen so that anyone could go and stop the planker."
Win. How about you try this out at a small tourney or whatever..and see if it changes anything. And I doubt it does but go ahead

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I'm not saying I'm "for" this but another good thing about food is you can use it to bate your opponent

Edit: Crap, I think Ulevo's right

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
A decent idea but an idea that will most likely not be put into competitive play. The problem is if we put one item in we demand more items and more items and so on. Grant it I hate planking as much as the next guy but putting items in might not be a good idea.

Smash Master
Slippery slope = logical fallacy.

In an average match, only 8 or 9 foods will appear, but in a planking filled match, 20-25 items will appear.

D3 only throws the items that are on, even if the overall item setting is set to "none." He will only throw food.

I know it won't solve the stock lead issue. 1.) It still helps avoid planking despite this drawback. 2.) It's not unreasonable to expect the better player to be at least tied in stock at all times, even though they may be down in percent at some point.

Edit: I know it's not qite the same as soft-banning, but it's somewhat close, so don't rag on my word choice.

K 2

Smash Lord
Either completely ban it or leave it alone. As you've seen with the millions of proposals of soft-banning MK, none of them have worked. Letting items on only leads to further complications.

bobson

Smash Lord
Either completely ban it or leave it alone. As you've seen with the millions of proposals of soft-banning MK, none of them have worked. Letting items on only leads to further complications.
Barring incorporating some system of judges who watch all the matches, banning it is impossible due to the non-discrete nature of the technique.

it seems like a good idea until an explosive capsule appears and ruins the day.
Also, exploding Capsules are a no no.
Have you people even played Brawl? You can turn capsules off.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
How about only when MK is picked? That way no one else feels the effects.
No, No, NO!

Have you people even played Brawl? You can turn capsules off.
You can? Like, as in, turn SPECIFICALLY capsules off? Last time I checked, there was no way to specifically turn capsules off. I haven't thrown any capsules yet, but I only spent a few minutes on it as I don't care that much.

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
Like some people have said before, the planker would only need to get a 1 stock lead and then this wouldn't work. The difference could be as small as two people at 100+%, one of them killing the other, then planking. The other would get back at 0%, so all the food wouldn't make a difference, and the planker still has that extra life which cannot be taken back.

Smash Master
Anyone have any arguemtns that I haven't addressed?

Who here is the troll, exactly?

Smash Master
Yes. I said it was a drawback, but some banning of planking is better than no banning of planking. Furthermore, it is reasonable to expect the better player to at least be tied in stock the whole match, although it is too much to ask them to be ahead or tied in percent the whole match, IMO.

cman

Smash Ace
It's never going to become standard, so there is really no sense in arguing it. You should show some support for the ISP ruleset if you think this is a good idea. I personally think that ISP is more fun than regular Brawl, and not many of the item related problems that were present in melee (such as random exploding capsules) are in Brawl at all. It is probably possible that it will become standard in tournaments to hold a regular, doubles, and ISP set instead of just doubles and regular like it is now. Some tournaments are trying it out (see: world hobo).

ISP Discussion Thread

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
It's never going to become standard, so there is really no sense in arguing it. You should show some support for the ISP ruleset if you think this is a good idea. I personally think that ISP is more fun than regular Brawl, and not many of the item related problems that were present in melee (such as random exploding capsules) are in Brawl at all. It is probably possible that it will become standard in tournaments to hold a regular, doubles, and ISP set instead of just doubles and regular like it is now. Some tournaments are trying it out (see: world hobo).
Worth a shot.

Smash Master
Meh, I guess brawl is just a bad competitive game. I don't like randomness (see ISP), but I also don't like over-centralization (planking/MK), but it seems like we have to deal with one or the other or else not play brawl.

Smash Master
For heaven's sake; I've asked people already to stop bashing me for the word choice.

It's close enough.

Soft ban - When something is legal and beneficial to use but is not used for ethical concerns

There. See; I know what it means. If you have nothing relevant to contribute, STFU and GTFO.

kr3wman

Smash Master
For heaven's sake; I've asked people already to stop bashing me for the word choice.

It's close enough.

Soft ban - When something is legal and beneficial to use but is not used for ethical concerns

There. See; I know what it means. If you have nothing relevant to contribute, STFU and GTFO.
Your idea doesn't have anything to do with it.

WITH

Smash Apprentice
Your idea doesn't have anything to do with it.
god you're petty

how about this for something to do with it???

This idea might make planking legal to use but not used because the opponent can heal

We all knew what he meant after reading the first post...in fact, you should have known what it meant from the title since "new way to soft-ban planking" couldn't possibly just be a new way to suggest soft banning and hope people do it.

Smash Master
I guess it's food for though

*rimshot*

And I agree this is a bad idea for all the reasons mentioned. I just had to make this bad joke
"All the reasons" like what? The stock lead thing, or the "OMG items are bad" thing?

As for the stock lead, some banning is better than no banning, and better players can be expected to be at least tied in stock in general anyway (although not percent).

As for the items thing, randomness and over-centralization are both frowned upon in competitive circles; pick your poison. Consider the randomness doesn't change much, the overcentralization renders several chars unviable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom