• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A New to Sheik? Look here to learn how to get started/Need help with Sheik? Ask your questions here.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
Lol, I guess a better way to phrase it is, is the best way to dash and then do a normal attack: dash -> cancel the dash with shield -> do whatever attack?

I'm wanting to dash up to the opponent and do tilt attacks, so I'm trying to see if there's a "right way" to do that. I'm trying to not get shield grabbed out of predictable dash attacks
You have alot of options. Run up dash attack is probably the worst.
Sheiks 08/15 way of attacking is to run up, SH Fair/Nair (as fair is safe on shield eg). You can also run up RAR bair them.
Another thing would be a Hyphen (Up-)smash. You can run up, and U-smash to get a little glide while Usmashing.
If you want to tilt, theres really just one good way. Run up, past them and the reverse your tilt (or Fsmash or grab), but I would only recommend that as a mixup.
Another hing to do would simply dash-grab, or dash-attack-cancled-grab. tricky stuff. Also, Shorthops do wonders, you can SH land grab (tomahawk), or SH land and do your tilts. (Also, styling, cause you can).
There are some other options, but this should cover quite something to play with i guess. Hope it helps. Also, If you have questions about terms used or specific AT's, just ask.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Lol, I guess a better way to phrase it is, is the best way to dash and then do a normal attack: dash -> cancel the dash with shield -> do whatever attack?

I'm wanting to dash up to the opponent and do tilt attacks, so I'm trying to see if there's a "right way" to do that. I'm trying to not get shield grabbed out of predictable dash attacks
People don't often dash into a tilt; it's more a reaction to them moving to you. If you want to dash, you have to then release the stick, wait a sec, and then attack. It leaves you horribly vulnerable.

Last edited:

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Fair is safe on shield if you space it perfectly yes, and Nair is safe due to the fact you can simply drift back after the initial hit. I know I've said it before but I love this character board... We have so many smart players. :D

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
What do sheik players have trouble against? Like are there any weaknesses i should know about shiek. Because right now im actually stumped at how to deal with good shieks, and i thought what better people to ask than the shiek mains themselves.

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Not really, sheik is a really safe character... It really depends on the player, I myself struggle with ness because his kills are so easy to get (b-throw at 90, everytime). If you can shutdown our pressure and get us into disadvantage I guess that would be your best bet.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
What do sheik players have trouble against? Like are there any weaknesses i should know about shiek. Because right now im actually stumped at how to deal with good shieks, and i thought what better people to ask than the shiek mains themselves.
As a character, Sheik struggles with getting high damage with individual attacks, and because of this, most Sheik mains focus on combos and getting their opponent into really scary situations. Combos and off-stage kills are her specialty. Lucario, for example, is a tough matchup because he is just fine being off-stage and grows more powerful as he takes damage. Sheik has fewer options than many for early kills and thus must avoid his ever-strengthening aura.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Is there anything i should know like which attacks i can shield grab, which attacks are punishable, things like that.

DrXenoPootis

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrXenoPootis
3DS FC
3969-6817-9705
I've been having a lot of trouble facing off Sonic and Ness with Sheik. One wrong move and I get PK fired over and over, as well be a victim of Sonic's ridiculous uthrow follow ups. Tips?

?.?

Smash Journeyman
I've been having a lot of trouble facing off Sonic and Ness with Sheik. One wrong move and I get PK fired over and over, as well be a victim of Sonic's ridiculous uthrow follow ups. Tips?
Fun little fact against ness, if you get caught by his fire and he tries to get a grab off of it you can simply mash A to beat his grab, also you need to learn to DI to get out of the fire. Same applies to sonics u-throw follow ups, I honestly have very little sonic MU experience so no clue what to tell you there elsewise.

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
My question is what character can't be comboed from Sheik's F-Throw to Bouncing Fish? Also, any other combos other than down throw up air and F-Throw Bouncing Fish? Edit: Another question. What percent does fully charged needles to Bouncing fish work at?

Last edited:

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
My question is what character can't be comboed from Sheik's F-Throw to Bouncing Fish? Also, any other combos other than down throw up air and F-Throw Bouncing Fish? Edit: Another question. What percent does fully charged needles to Bouncing fish work at?
1. Jigs. See all % and stuff here: http://smashboards.com/threads/sheik-fthrow-into-bouncing-fish-combos-complete.377874/
2. There are alot (combos... dunno, but at least neet stuff). To name a few: F and D throw->fair, Dthrow vanish, fthrow RAR bair, such stuff.
3. Actually, we do not have a list on this yet, as it is character dependend. As a rule of thumb I'd say everything slightly above 100% should work. Don't go too high tho, it has a ceiling.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
To name a couple more combos, sourspot nair -> bf can work at mid/high percents (can be used to kill, even), and fast falling fair to bouncing fish (mid percents, doesn't work at high).

?.?

Smash Journeyman
fast falling fair to bf at high percents works, it's just super tight and requires very precise inputs/autocancel... I've gotten it to true combo at 135 on bowser (ik heavy but still that would mean up to 110 on average characters give or take)

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Well that is one hell of a request, I guess I'll just rush on through it.. Probably a half assed attempt as I'm not feeling so good right now.

Pros:
Safe, fast, Insane combo potential, decent neutral game, bla, bla, bla.

Cons:
Lacks kill power, idk what else, maybe the fact she has no option to fight below her.
Edit: She hits like a pillow, but it really doesn't matter as she hits a million times. :D

Best MU:
Heavies/fast fallers, anyone who relies on zoning/camping.

Worst MU:
Lucario, anyone who gets a lot from her lack of kill power and can kill her early.

Last edited:

iAft3rbang

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAft3rbang
I'm relatively new to the game. I have a 20% W/D ratio on FG. I feel like I can improve a lot but I don't know what to do. I would like to play vs good sheiks players. Anyone would like to help me out ? NNID : iAft3rbang

Last edited:

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
Hello everyone, I know this is going to be a awkward question but is there a place i can find the actual hitbox information for sheiks moves because my bouncing nemo just can't seem to find it's target and I feel that it's because I don't know where or when to throw it out to make it connect.

Also, is there a certain mindset behind fighting certain characters that works best? I ask this because I've found that zerging some rosalina works magic as opposed to turtling delivers a steamer.

And my final question is How to deal with excessive turtling (marios/links who sit in corners waiting for an attack just to spot dodge followed by a grab, rosa's/olimars who sit behind their minions)

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Hello everyone, I know this is going to be a awkward question but is there a place i can find the actual hitbox information for sheiks moves because my bouncing nemo just can't seem to find it's target and I feel that it's because I don't know where or when to throw it out to make it connect.

Also, is there a certain mindset behind fighting certain characters that works best? I ask this because I've found that zerging some rosalina works magic as opposed to turtling delivers a steamer.

Thank you for your time!
Personally i find myself changing my playstyle a lot depending on who I play against. If it's mario, luigi, yoshi, or any character with a very quick attack (characters i mentioned have nair) i wouldn't try to go for any long strings, and keep resetting after 1 or 2 fairs from fthrow for example.

Some characters like falcon (despite us having the better end of the stick at this matchup) require you to be super offensive tho, and especially considering he doesn't have an attack that can break out of a combo, meaning comboing him is pretty easy.

Last edited:

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
Thank you ArikadoX, sorry I editted my question before refreshing the page to see if anyone had responded. would you be able to answer the last part about turtling, it just seems whenever I'm forced into a situation where they don't make any moves I never come out on top.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Thank you ArikadoX, sorry I editted my question before refreshing the page to see if anyone had responded. would you be able to answer the last part about turtling, it just seems whenever I'm forced into a situation where they don't make any moves I never come out on top.
Sheik is able to outcamp some characters thanks to having one of the best projectiles in the game. You can also simply go and pressure them directly, especially if they're sitting near the edge; if they roll around too much try to punish with a (pivot or not) grab or a dash attack, reading the roll.

You can also do a tomahawk grab; rush down and pretend like you'll be approaching from the air then fast fall and quickly grab them.

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
Sheik is able to outcamp some characters thanks to having one of the best projectiles in the game. You can also simply go and pressure them directly, especially if they're sitting near the edge; if they roll around too much try to punish with a (pivot or not) grab or a dash attack, reading the roll.

You can also do a tomahawk grab; rush down and pretend like you'll be approaching from the air then fast fall and quickly grab them.
Thank you for the help, i'm going to go try to apply it now, it's just gotten so discouraging seeing it happen time and time again :\

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
I'm very leary when it comes to using grenade against people, but is it recommended when fighting olimar or rosa?

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Not really, Grenades are an extremely situational tool nowadays... Although if the other player isn't very good you can do some damaging stuff with it. Honestly stick with needles, or learn how to ledge nade/thief nade. For the off chance you decide to use those techs.

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
What's the best, or at least what you think is a good way to train? I've been looking to improve, and need a good way to.

roygbiv91

Smash Cadet
It sounds stupid, but i still can't get the rising storm. Can somebody add me and show me this? Even her Chain Grab feels easy compared to this.

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
how would you recommend to fight R.O.Bs? it just seems like everything I try gets stuffed. and as for Rising storm, isn't that just where you charge your needles on the ground and then at the peak of your jump release them?

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
It sounds stupid, but i still can't get the rising storm. Can somebody add me and show me this? Even her Chain Grab feels easy compared to this.
So, the clue is to charge your Needles before, then jump and IMMEDIATELY press special. In addition, I would reccomend spamming your followup move while you're still shooting needles, as this is much easier.
If you want to do a specific follow up (BF), you have to be moving while throwing, try to hit them in their head aand you need at least some distance.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
If you're using a gamecube controller I suggest making Z button jump (i have it so that x and L button are grabs, and R is shield.

The moment you jump, like literally as you jump, send out needles and then bouncing fish. Otherwise the lag from needles will prevent you from doing anything until you land. The reason i said its better to change you controls is because its really hard to both press B to send needles and y to jump at the same time.

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Trying to add more setups and mixups to my game.. lately been using

fthrow->vanish
fthrow->SH->tipper usmash
fair on shield->ftilt on shield->pivot grab
fair on shield->spot dodge->whatever
dash grab short of opponent->run back pivot grab
needles->foxtrot->needle
SH stormcloud->counter vanish

just trying to get some ideas brewing to add more broken rhythm to my game. :yeahboi:

iAft3rbang

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAft3rbang
What are you guys using ? boost grab or roll cancel grab ? I find roll cancel easier since I have jump on Z & R and grab is on x/y

roygbiv91

Smash Cadet
If you're using a gamecube controller I suggest making Z button jump (i have it so that x and L button are grabs, and R is shield.

The moment you jump, like literally as you jump, send out needles and then bouncing fish. Otherwise the lag from needles will prevent you from doing anything until you land. The reason i said its better to change you controls is because its really hard to both press B to send needles and y to jump at the same time.
Ty so much this finally works out for me. Need to get used to Z-Jump in Fight though.

Last edited:

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy

Does this stun them after being hit from spot dodging or shielding?

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
Try getting around by foxtrotting. This involves hitting the analog stick left or right, but not holding it, so you do a 'mini-dash' in a sense. This means you can get around speedily, but the commitment (and limitations) of being in a dash aren't there. This way, you could foxtrot up to your opponent and then immediately get out an F-tilt once the initial dash animation ends.

Edit: Wow this got posted super late for some reason.

Last edited:

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
Try getting around by foxtrotting. This involves hitting the analog stick left or right, but not holding it, so you do a 'mini-dash' in a sense. This means you can get around speedily, but the commitment (and limitations) of being in a dash aren't there. This way, you could foxtrot up to your opponent and then immediately get out an F-tilt once the initial dash animation ends.

Edit: Wow this got posted super late for some reason.
I have a problem Foxtrotting with Sheik, it seems like she wants to stay in dash animation( or out right skid, this is also preventing me from perfect pivoting) and anytime i try to jab or ftilt afterwards she does her dash attack, any advice?

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
I have a problem Foxtrotting with Sheik, it seems like she wants to stay in dash animation( or out right skid, this is also preventing me from perfect pivoting) and anytime i try to jab or ftilt afterwards she does her dash attack, any advice?
To start out I would say to very deliberately flick the control left or right, and let go of the analog stick after flicking it. Make sure not to hold it in your chosen direction. If done correctly, you'll see Sheik act out the initial dash animation, but then simply stand up in her idle pose after. Practice doing this until you've got it down. Once you can do it consistently, switch to performing the same motion, but in the same way as dash-dancing, in that you flick it to the left or right, but then immediately return the stick to a neutral position with your thumb still on it. The trick to getting tilts out is to watch the animation Sheik goes into. During the last few frames of it she's locked into the animation and can't perform any moves, so during this time you can input an F-tilt, buffering it and making Sheik execute it on first possible frame. It's all about timing, so practice up and you'll be sure to get it.

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
Hey all! I've been on these forums for the past few months but haven't really posted much. I am new to competitive smash and even newer to sheik. I mained Ike in brawl but I was a hardcore casual who didnt own the game. I picked up sheik on the 3ds and the wii-u version and it just felt... right.

Anyway, I am struggling with performing SH FF rising fairs consistently. I am consistent in FF my SHs but I tend to flub SH and will FH most of the time. Any tips? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom