• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New technique?

AXE 09

Smash Master
VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9nivZx7U8c

More information (including shortened up-b):
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=273278
(Thanks for all your help Vman :))

Hey everyone =)

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in, so I decided to just make a new thread.... and if this technique has already been discovered, then I'm really sorry for wasting everyone's time here lol. I'm not exactly sure how useful this technique will be (I find it to be very useful. Possibly more useful for Mewtwo than Pikachu) but... here goes =)

Basically, we (everyone in the Pikachu discussion) have discovered that... During the first zip of his up-b, he can turn around. So... let's say Pikachu is facing left. You can up-b strait up, and end up facing right. You can do this from the ground or while airborne. So what does this mean for Mewtwo?

I have seen many times (from fighting both Taj and V3ctorman) when Mewtwo is in the position where he is without a jump and somewhat under the stage (imagine FD). You probably feel like it's pointless to try to recover, because your only option is to teleport strait up, and there's no way to grab the edge because you're facing the wrong way. Well, now you can change that! When you up-b strait up, there is a way to turn around so you can now grab the edge and be a happy pokemon trainer :)

To do this technique... at the START of your up-b (during the frames before you actually take off), you must lightly (and I mean VERY lightly) tilt the control stick in the opposite direction that you are facing. You must tilt it lightly enough so that you do not actually teleport in that direction. The result will be Mewtwo teleporting strait up and facing the opposite direction of which he started.

Characters with similar up-b mechanics can do this (Pikachu, Pichu, Sheik, Zelda). And sad to say... Mewtwo is the hardest one to perform this technique with due to how short the startup time is before you actually teleport. I think Zelda is the easiest to do this with.

Anyways, I hope that this can help some of you guys out :) and sorry if this is already known lol

AXE 09

Smash Master
As far as I know, this only works with characters who can already turn around during their up-b. Meaning that I don't THINK that characters like Link and IC's would work. I would imagine that this would work on characters like Marth, Mario, and G&W, but I didn't think it'd be important to them seeing as how they can just press the control stick all the way to turn around instead of having to tilt. I think it can work for Samus too, but I don't think it'd be too useful to her. I didn't test it on every character, but it'd be great if someone could do that :) woo! I helped lol.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
This is actually really cool. Thanks Axe and the Pikachu boards. Now my Zelda will be better (though not necessarily good) at recovering.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I tested it, and sadly it doesn't. I posted a thread in Melee Discussion.

I know that for some reason they can turn around when they up-b and they touch a while (like the side of FD), but you cannot turn around using the method stated in the origional post.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
No, sadly it doesn't work with space animals, however, in a scenario situation.. space animals...are able to grab the ledge anyway.. ^^

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
HA! I posted before you did!! TOO EASY!! =D
*imitates* HA! I posted before you di.........SHUTUP YOU FAILURE OF A PIKACHU!!....LOSER.....LOSER, LOSER, LOSER, LOSER, LOSER, LOSER, LOSER..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................SUPER LOSER...

too easier........NUB

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i've done this before too. i sorta was aware of it but i'm aware of lots of stuff that i never articulate or even realize conciously. (I play Fox better when i'm not thinking about drillshining- waveshining ect ect haha) it makes it funny for me to watch videos of me playing sometimes lol. "I don't remeber doing that!" lmao.

but yeah on topic... if you could practice the timing and get it down, this would help mewtwo especially me thinks. what's the framerate do you know?

also V3ctorman i killed the video thread i'm sorry! T_T

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
@Taj/Kaos - Axe and I tested this for hours upon hours upon multiple hours before I uploaded the video...and the only results we've gotten are only going straight upwards.. =/

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
I've been practicing this for the past hour or so and I have figured out exactly what you are supposed to do. It's really hard still lol.

This only works teleporting straight upwards. When teleporting upwards it will go maximum distance if your control stick is in neutral position or all held the way up.

When teleporting with Mewtwo the game recognizes all directional inputs on frame 7 to angle the teleport except for Neutral Backwards Tilt. When you input a neutral backwards tilt you get a full upwards teleport however it will turn you around.

So if you Teleport and on frame 7 you have neutral backwards tilt held you will get a full upwards teleport that turns around. Understanding this helped me get it a few times I hope I can help someone. I personally tilt the UpB, let go to reset the control stick neutral and than tilt backwards. I can only do it maybe 1 out of 15 tries right now lol.

***Also I found out if you are facing left and you teleport from the ground back to the ground you will always face rightwards. It does not work the other way around. This could only be used for edge guard styling as it takes some time to recover.

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I know if you are using up-B with Luigi if you hold the control stick up but just a little to either direction you will turn around and face that direction. Is this the same idea or is it something different?

Top Bottom