• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW SSB4 Character Choice Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Nobody who's in smash will be in either, there's no real point in that. We could do Deoxys vs Darkrai, and then do Mewtwo vs Roy...is that better?

Ilex

Smash Ace
Guys, Mewtwo is GONE. Why do so many people have trouble reading that? He's served his time and has been replaced. Get over that and move on. He's not coming back to Smash bros. EVER. Now that I think you read that, read it again a few more times to drill it into your head. He's gone. Understand it. Tolerate it. Accept it.

Anyways, for Pokemon I would like to see Blaziken, Deoxys, Plusle&Minun, and/or Meowth to be on the next poll.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Guys, Mewtwo is GONE. Why do so many people have trouble reading that? He's served his time and has been replaced. Get over that and move on. He's not coming back to Smash bros. EVER. Now that I think you read that, read it again a few more times to drill it into your head. He's gone. Understand it. Tolerate it. Accept it.
It's a little something called fan demand.

Y'know, the entire point of the smash series? appealing to fans? ever hear of it?

SirKibble

Smash Champion

Anyways, for Pokemon I would like to see Blaziken, Deoxys, Plusle&Minun, and/or Meowth to be on the next poll.
-- Addressing Point #1 --

I think given fans' response to him getting the boot, there is actually a decent change he'll make a reappearance. Plus, he's the only one who got the boot who they can't pull the Clone Card on. Fan demand for characters like Pichu or Dr. Mario isn't likely to have nearly the effect it will for Mewtwo. Mewtwo was original, and it's quite apparent that a lot of people want him back.

-- Now Point #2 --

Blaziken...would be sweet. This would be cool. My only question is, what makes him stick out from the other starters or makes him important enough for a spot?

Deoxys... The multiple forms thing definitely has potential, and Deoxys has a lot of fan backing. I see this as the best of the options you presented.

Plusle and Minun...would be interesting. They have potential to be really awesome, or really suck. Not a bad idea, it just comes down to how they were done.

Meowth...is the one I'm really wondering about. First, don't we have enough first-generation representatives? Second, why Meowth? Third, I don't think Meowth has nearly the moveset potential of the others you listed.

Still... Three out of four ain't bad... Or should it be four out of five...

Ilex

Smash Ace
It's a little something called fan demand.

Y'know, the entire point of the smash series? appealing to fans? ever hear of it?
Actually surprisingly, I have. But that doesn't remove the fact that he's was removed for a reason. They can't have 2 psychic legendaries that are very similar to each other on the roster. Ever heard of, y'know, balance? Mewtwo was removed to make room for Lucario, who was necessary. Lucario will be removed to make room for the 5th gen legendary. And if Smash was based solely on Fan Demand, a lot of the characters wouldn't be in Smash. They needed to give 4th gen a chance in this situation, so it was logical to remove an outdated Pokemon who is pretty much a clone of the new one. They aren't going to keep a stupid character just so a few fans can cream their jeans about it.

Meowth...is the one I'm really wondering about. First, don't we have enough first-generation representatives? Second, why Meowth? Third, I don't think Meowth has nearly the moveset potential of the others you listed.
That's probably just my inner fanboy speaking for me :p I would've preferred Meowth to Jiggs in the original Smash, but I guess you're right about too much 1st gen rep. For movesets, I have one made up already.

Neutral B: Pay Day. Mewoth fires 3 consecutive coins from his head that travel in a straight line as a projectile. Each does 2%, so you can gain 6% from each attack.
Side B: Fake-Out. Meowth quickly slashes his opponent that stuns them to allow for comboing. Only does 5% dmg and it meant to be a set-up for a FSmash or other.
Down B: Pursuit. Meowth turns into a black blur that homes into the opponent. It has a longe range and unmatched priority. 4% damage and no knockback.
UpB: Faint Attack. Meowth blurs out and reappears a bit higher up. If you are next to Meowth as he reappears you cannot shield the damage. 12%
Final Smash: Night Slash. Meowth slashes in front him several with a purple energy covered paw and deals 10% damage per hit. He hits 5 times, meaning it can do upto 50% damage.
Pros: -Fast falling speed
- Good jump and wall cling
- Moderately fast speed
Cons:
- Lightweight
-Low number of killing moves
- Generally short range

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Actually surprisingly, I have. But that doesn't remove the fact that he's was removed for a reason. They can't have 2 psychic legendaries that are very similar to each other on the roster. Ever heard of, y'know, balance? Mewtwo was removed to make room for Lucario, who was necessary.
1. Lucario isn't a psychic type. it's a Fighting/Steel type.
2. Lucario isn't legendary.
[/pokenerd]

Lucario will be removed to make room for the 5th gen legendary. And if Smash was based solely on Fan Demand, a lot of the characters wouldn't be in Smash. They needed to give 4th gen a chance in this situation, so it was logical to remove an outdated Pokemon who is pretty much a clone of the new one. They aren't going to keep a stupid character just so a few fans can cream their jeans about it.
But it's mostly based on fan demand.
Wonder why sonic's in? Fan demand.
Wonder why Pokemon Trainer's in? (Very old, but still withstanding) fan demand.
Wonder why Pit is in? Fan demand.
Wonder why Lucas got in? Not as much as fan demand as much as it is all of Japan Pretty much threatening to slit Sakurai's throat if Lucas didn't get in.
Wonder why MewCario is/was in? Fan demand.

It's a simple process:
Fans=Money.
More appealing to fans= more money.

Thus, if fans cry out for Mewtwo long enough, they'll obviously bring back Mewtwo.

majora_787

Smash Hero
...God...These are the weirdest arguments ever. If making way for the fourth generation had to do with it, we would have seen the end of jigglypuff. jiggs would have been replaced by a similar fourth generation pokemon. ALSO, Lucario and mewtwo have little to nothing in common. The B attack is the closest relation, and they're still pretty different other than they're both chargeable spheres of energy. If fans want it enough, Mewtwo will return.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You don't know that. We've had a poll just like that. Leon vs Krystal.

It's the person who SHOULD win, versus the person who has little importance or people like them more than they should.

respectively, it's leon and mewtwo vs krystal and roy.

Mewtwo SHOULD win, but roy still has a chance at making it a tie.

Ilex

Smash Ace
I didn't expect to get this much backlash from the Mewtards, but okay.

1. Lucario isn't a psychic type. it's a Fighting/Steel type.
2. Lucario isn't legendary.
[/pokenerd]
Oops. When you consider that Lucario's pokedex entry says 'Can thoughts of others and is capable of human speech', he's pretty much relative to Mewtwo even if his type technically isn't psychic. Also, he's legendary enough to be considered one :/ My point is that he's too much like Mewtwo anyways.

But it's mostly based on fan demand.
Wonder why sonic's in? Fan demand.
Wonder why Pokemon Trainer's in? (Very old, but still withstanding) fan demand.
Wonder why Pit is in? Fan demand.
Wonder why Lucas got in? Not as much as fan demand as much as it is all of Japan Pretty much threatening to slit Sakurai's throat if Lucas didn't get in.
Wonder why MewCario is/was in? Fan demand.

It's a simple process:
Fans=Money.
More appealing to fans= more money.

Thus, if fans cry out for Mewtwo long enough, they'll obviously bring back Mewtwo.
Explain Ice Climbers then. Mr. Game and Watch. Rob. Zero Suit Samus. Who was expected them to get in? You can't use popularity as an argument because they obviously don't care about that much. PT isn't there by popularity or else Support thread would've been larger before the time of his announcement. Lucario wasn't in just due to popularity, but because Pokemon needs a rep, and Lucario is an icon of the 4th gen. Mewtwo has no significance to Pokemon any more, so why would they keep him? You could say the same about Ness and Jiggs, but they've been there since beginning so they won't get removed. In order to stay in Smash you either have to be one of the original 12, still significant to your series or an old school character. Mewtwo has not been in a game in 4 years, and with so many more Pokemon to replace him there's no point in bringing him back.

majora_787

Smash Hero
There were people who wanted to see Ice Climbers. same with pokemon trainer. I saw dozens of support sites.

R.O.B. and G&W were stated to be in there as wtf characters. ALSO, Marth has little no no significance in any fire emblem games lately. Same with Sheik.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
ALSO, Marth has little no no significance in any fire emblem games lately.
Marth is, however, still the FE character to be in the most games, and is a very important character in the series.

Plus, aren't they putting him in the new one?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Explain Ice Climbers then. Mr. Game and Watch. Rob. Zero Suit Samus. Who was expected them to get in?
Of course they weren't. It's something called a WTF character. If there were only popular characters, the roster would be pretty predictable and unsurprising. It's not like they detract anything from the game anyway.

You can't use popularity as an argument because they obviously don't care about that much. PT isn't there by popularity or else Support thread would've been larger before the time of his announcement.
You'd be horribly wrong then. In the early japanese Melee character poll, Pokemon trainer was one of the most requested characters to be in the game. Naturally, he was in brawl.

Lucario wasn't in just due to popularity, but because Pokemon needs a rep, and Lucario is an icon of the 4th gen.
no, it was because of popularity. The only real importance lucario had was a movie. Otherwise, he was just as important as snorlax in the games. However, he was very popular, especially in japan.
Mewtwo has no significance to Pokemon any more, so why would they keep him?
Repeating what I said before; because he's popular.

Mewtwo has not been in a game in 4 years, and with so many more Pokemon to replace him there's no point in bringing him back.
okay, WHAT? Mewtwo, along with every other pokemon, has been in every installment of the pokemon RPGs. I don't know where you're pulling this from, but it's all very untrue.

And even if you were, you're thinking way too deep into it. It's much more simple than that:
people want ___
Nintendo puts in _____
????
Profit!

It's not like a giant, holy scale that needs to be perfectly balanced like darn, tai chi.
It's a video game. Not a religion.

Ilex

Smash Ace
Of course they weren't. It's something called a WTF character. If there were only popular characters, the roster would be pretty predictable and unsurprising. It's not like they detract anything from the game anyway.
So you're saying it's not just popularity then? Glad you agree with me.

no, it was because of popularity. The only real importance lucario had was a movie. Otherwise, he was just as important as snorlax in the games. However, he was very popular, especially in japan.
The fact that he's in a movie makes everything. If not, he'd just be another average Pokemon. The movie was ultimately the debut of the 4th gen, and who did it feature? Lucario. He represents the 4th gen, so he was added.
okay, WHAT? Mewtwo, along with every other pokemon, has been in every installment of the pokemon RPGs. I don't know where you're pulling this from, but it's all very untrue.
FireREd/LeafGreen. Tell me the part in R/S/E or D/P where Mewtwo played any sort of role. He's outdated now, why would they put back an outdated character which they already removed? Because he's popular? I doubt it. The casual gamers aren't looking at Mewtwo anymore, they're obsessed with Lucario and the 4th gen. Pretty soon they'll be obsessed with Shaymin and Giratina, and Lucario will be old news.

And even if you were, you're thinking way too deep into it. It's much more simple than that:
people want ___
Nintendo puts in _____
????
Profit!
Not really. Why isn't Ridley in the game then? He tied for second. If we follow your equation right there, then Ridley should have been added. But he wasn't because that wouldn't make sense. Just like how Mewtwo doesn't make sense.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

The fact that he's in a movie makes everything. If not, he'd just be another average Pokemon. The movie was ultimately the debut of the 4th gen, and who did it feature? Lucario. He represents the 4th gen, so he was added.
FireREd/LeafGreen. Tell me the part in R/S/E or D/P where Mewtwo played any sort of role. He's outdated now, why would they put back an outdated character which they already removed? Because he's popular? I doubt it. The casual gamers aren't looking at Mewtwo anymore, they're obsessed with Lucario and the 4th gen. Pretty soon they'll be obsessed with Shaymin and Giratina, and Lucario will be old news.

Not really. Why isn't Ridley in the game then? He tied for second. If we follow your equation right there, then Ridley should have been added. But he wasn't because that wouldn't make sense. Just like how Mewtwo doesn't make sense.
I'm just going to respond with your whole post with this:

Couldn't both Lucario and Mewtwo be in? We need a newer gen rep (I don't like them, but they do need a rep). Maybe make Lucario more of a Luigification of Mewtwo rather than his current clone-like moveset.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You just said mewtwo doesn't make sense because he's outdated, now you say RIDLEY doesn't make sense for the same reason?? Ridley has been a primary antagonist in every game except for Metroid Prime 2, where he was not even included. The Metroid Prime and Mother Brain were the only two who were more important in ANY game.

Ilex

Smash Ace
You just said mewtwo doesn't make sense because he's outdated, now you say RIDLEY doesn't make sense for the same reason?? Ridley has been a primary antagonist in every game except for Metroid Prime 2, where he was not even included. The Metroid Prime and Mother Brain were the only two who were more important in ANY game.
Actually, I was just using Ridley as an example that being popular doesn't guarantee a spot on the roster.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Maybe I should say this more simply: ICs, G&W, and ROB are there for novelty value. They only add to the roster, and don't detract from it. You aren't alienating any fans. You're just making the roster more complete.
However, by NOT putting in a character, you are alienating/putting off fans. Which, obviously, is not a smart move.

Wrong. That would be Munchlax in Destiny Deoxys, and Bonsly in pokemon XD.
Pray tell, what exactly gave Lucario priority over, say, Deoxys, Jirachi, Darkrai, Entei, etc? Because he was darned popular at the time.
Why is PT ONLY based on the 1st gen? as you said yourself, 1st gen is outdated, and PT didn't appear in 64 OR melee. How on earth is he in brawl then? 1st gen is hardly outdated. Heck, even Lucario should be outdated. You know which movie came out closer to brawl's release? the DARKRAI movie. but you know why he didn't get in? Lucario was more POPULAR. (at the time, at least.)

But I digress, I've dissected something that can pretty much be explained in a sentance to death;
If Mewtwo is demanded enough for SSB4: Bloody Murder, he'll be put in.

Ridley didn't get in because sakurai was lazy and didn't know how to implement him.(he pretty much admitted this in an interview, which I'm equally too lazy to link to.)
Mewtwo isn't hard to implement. They already have a moveset for him.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hey, I'm sorry I haven't been active lately. Life is compromising the polls. I'll try and get a new poll up tonight, but I can't promise anything. Please understand this. I'll resume a casual poll basis as soon as I can, but until then, continue discussing over what [intelligent] polls could be seen in the future. I have ideas, but I want to hear yours. Thank you all.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Tails should be in the next brawl. He would have the same b down and b foward moves as sonic. Except that his b air would be a spin tail attack to make a combo instead of a powerful attack. you know, the sonic combo when you do b foward and then hit them with a back air? Well instead of power you it combos sort of like G&W's b air works. His up b of course would fly similar to pits except the tails would hurt characters.

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
this drought is killing me........need new poll soon

but in all honesty, you have done really good work with this thread and its appreciated

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Ok, do I have to bring in the trend that appears in smash games again? :dizzy:

Least deserving or reps: Protagonist only.
Protagonist + sidekick
Protagonist + sidekick + villain
Most deserving of reps: Protagonist + sidekick + villain + 2nd protagonist.

That's the trend, really in most cases. As the rosters expand in each smash game, there's the possibility of one or two reps added and they go in this order. First comes the protagonist, then the adding of a sidekick, then the adding of a villain, and then another sidekick.

Mario
SSBB: Mario (p) + Luigi (s)
Melee: Mario (p) + Luigi (s) + Bowser (v) + Peach (s2) + Dr. Mario (??)
Brawl: Mario (p) + Luigi (s) + Bowser (v) + Peach (s2)

Doctor Mario was just an extra anomaly for Melee.

LoZ
SSB: Link (p)
Melee: Link (p) + Young Link (s) + Ganondorf (v) + Zelda (s2)
Brawl: Link (p) + Toon Link (s) + Ganondorf (v) + Zelda (s2)

It's hard to tell whether Zelda comes first or after Young/Toon Link though.

Donkey Kong
SSB: Donkey Kong (p)
Melee: Donkey Kong (p)
Brawl: Donkey Kong (p) + Diddy Kong (s)

Kirby
SSB: Kirby (p)
Melee: Kirby (p)
Brawl: Kirby (p) + Meta Knight (s) + Dedede (v)

MK and D3 might be interchangeable in their roles. Maybe that's why Dedede wasn't included in Melee, because Sakurai thought that if he included him as a villain he'd have to include a sidekick too? (too much rep for the time?)

Star Fox
SSB: Fox (p)
Melee: Fox (p) + Falco (s)
Brawl: Fox (p) + Falco (s) + Wolf (v)

Probably the best example for the trend, because you can actually see it one by one.

Metroid
SSB: Samus (p)
Melee: Samus (p)
Brawl: Samus (p) + Zero Suit Samus (s)

ZSSamus actually counts as a sidekick character, even if Samus and herself are the same person. Ridley didn't get in despite popularity because Sakurai didn't think Metroid deserved a third villain representative.

Pokemon however, is an oddball. It seemed like Smash followed the trend from SSB to Melee (Pikachu as the protagonist, Jigglypuff and Pichu as sidekicks and Mewtwo as a villain) but in Brawl that idea went to hell. For starters, Mewtwo was scrapped and Lucario doesn't count as a villain, and Pokemon Trainer was brought in so it seems we have two protagonists and two sidekick characters. Pokemon, unlike other series, actually does depend on popularity much more because there are tons of recurring characters to choose from and the only way to single one out from the other is how popular they are.
I do think that Pokemon should have a character that can count for a villain though, whether it's Mewtwo or not, even if I miss him so.

I should make this into a thread, actually.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Ok, do I have to bring in the trend that appears in smash games again? :dizzy:

Least deserving or reps: Protagonist only.
Protagonist + sidekick
Protagonist + sidekick + villain
Most deserving of reps: Protagonist + sidekick + villain + 2nd protagonist.

That's the trend, really in most cases. As the rosters expand in each smash game, there's the possibility of one or two reps added and they go in this order. First comes the protagonist, then the adding of a sidekick, then the adding of a villain, and then another sidekick.

Mario
SSBB: Mario (p) + Luigi (s)
Melee: Mario (p) + Luigi (s) + Bowser (v) + Peach (s2) + Dr. Mario (??)
Brawl: Mario (p) + Luigi (s) + Bowser (v) + Peach (s2)

Doctor Mario was just an extra anomaly for Melee.

LoZ
SSB: Link (p)
Melee: Link (p) + Young Link (s) + Ganondorf (v) + Zelda (s2)
Brawl: Link (p) + Toon Link (s) + Ganondorf (v) + Zelda (s2)

It's hard to tell whether Zelda comes first or after Young/Toon Link though.

Donkey Kong
SSB: Donkey Kong (p)
Melee: Donkey Kong (p)
Brawl: Donkey Kong (p) + Diddy Kong (s)

Kirby
SSB: Kirby (p)
Melee: Kirby (p)
Brawl: Kirby (p) + Meta Knight (s) + Dedede (v)

MK and D3 might be interchangeable in their roles. Maybe that's why Dedede wasn't included in Melee, because Sakurai thought that if he included him as a villain he'd have to include a sidekick too? (too much rep for the time?)

Star Fox
SSB: Fox (p)
Melee: Fox (p) + Falco (s)
Brawl: Fox (p) + Falco (s) + Wolf (v)

Probably the best example for the trend, because you can actually see it one by one.

Metroid
SSB: Samus (p)
Melee: Samus (p)
Brawl: Samus (p) + Zero Suit Samus (s)

ZSSamus actually counts as a sidekick character, even if Samus and herself are the same person. Ridley didn't get in despite popularity because Sakurai didn't think Metroid deserved a third villain representative.

Pokemon however, is an oddball. It seemed like Smash followed the trend from SSB to Melee (Pikachu as the protagonist, Jigglypuff and Pichu as sidekicks and Mewtwo as a villain) but in Brawl that idea went to hell. For starters, Mewtwo was scrapped and Lucario doesn't count as a villain, and Pokemon Trainer was brought in so it seems we have two protagonists and two sidekick characters. Pokemon, unlike other series, actually does depend on popularity much more because there are tons of recurring characters to choose from and the only way to single one out from the other is how popular they are.
I do think that Pokemon should have a character that can count for a villain though, whether it's Mewtwo or not, even if I miss him so.

I should make this into a thread, actually.
I have found that the pattern will repeat itself once it hits the second ally, so Dr. Mario is a protagonist, along with young and Toon Link.
I also found that for each series, there is a point where the pattern can continue without self destructing as well. So there is a limit for most series with reps, or the pattern has to be destroyed. Most series can hold up to four, but larger series can have more, some can potentially have only three, and exceptions may have no calculable limit. So Mario can hold up around 8 characters, Starfox can hold only 4, Kirby and Metroid could hit their maximum at 3 (so Kirby won't have any more reps), & Metal gear & Legand of Zelda can go hit 12. I can't calculate F-zero, and it is impossible to calculate Mother or Fire Emblem. Pokemon and the Misc. pile ROB comes from has no real limit though.

majora_787

Smash Hero
He's online right now ._. He also said he would be slightly less active for a couple days.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
We should have a Kirby poll. Not sure who everyone thinks should be in, but some possibilities (I'm even including some of the less likely ones) might be

Knuckle Joe
Adeleine
Gooey
Sword Knight / Blade Knight
Dyna Blade (c'mon, if Ridley's a possibility, so is DB)

And there may be more we could use. Lol, I'm just a huge Kirby fanatic, so I'd like to see this, but I may very well be one of the only ones.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
The Sonic poll may be over, but I'll just voice my opinion, even though it doesn't count.

Tails. He's esentially the Luigi of the Sonic games, and has amazing moveset potential. Because Sakurai didn't allow Snake to have a gun-based moveset, Shadow wouldn't get his guns either, and would just be a clone of Sonic. Knuckles certainly has moveset potential, but Tails is overall more important to the series. However, I might have voted for Eggman/Robotnik if he was a choice.

Ilex

Smash Ace
We should have a Kirby poll. Not sure who everyone thinks should be in, but some possibilities (I'm even including some of the less likely ones) might be

Knuckle Joe
Adeleine
Gooey
Sword Knight / Blade Knight
Dyna Blade (c'mon, if Ridley's a possibility, so is DB)

And there may be more we could use. Lol, I'm just a huge Kirby fanatic, so I'd like to see this, but I may very well be one of the only ones.
I like those choices for the Kirby poll...but only the first 3 since all we can have is 3 on a poll.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
two to four. Say, who is Marx, I never played Kirby super star (until I get an internet connection and buy some games)

majora_787

Smash Hero
Marx was a demented cat head thing with wings. It'd be kinda hard for him to fight, but I'm sure it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom