• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Uniqueness as a factor is inconsistent by way of its own field of credentials.

Such a discussion simmers down to popularity and bias towards what actually makes a character unique.

My reason for disapproving of this conversation, it turns into a popularity contest.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still makes Impa better than Sheik :troll:

Everyone wants Lil' Mac pretty much. I personally see him as extremely likely, and would bet he's gonna be in the game.

:phone:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'd rather have Starfy or Dillon, but Little Mac would be ok in my book.

(Also before any of you ask, yes my standards are a little skewed.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Recently I discovered I would love Maxwell from Scribblenauts in. He'd have a very unique moveset I'd imagine.

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Uniqueness as a factor is inconsistent by way of its own field of credentials.

Such a discussion simmers down to popularity and bias towards makes a character unique.

My reason for disapproving of this conversation, it turns into a popularity contest.
You don't deny it's an important factor, just that the arguments over it are dumb, yeah?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Habanero said:
King K. Rool isn't fat, he just has a lot of girth. RESPECT THE GIRTH!
I don't think there is such a thing as fat as far as reptiles are concerned, aligators/krocs seem to be mostly nerve and callus.

Osis Osmosis said:
You don't deny it's an important factor, just that the arguments over it are dumb,
I just can't see how uniqueness can be all that important, who gets to decide what is 'unique'?

Dynamo298

Smash Rookie
Thinking about Little Macs moveset.
Maybe his final smash could be a three star punch, and if it connects, it's a insta-kill on players 25% and up.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Little Mac wouldn't exactly be unique. Mario and Ganon already have quite a lot of punching moves off the top of my head, and Knuckle Joe has lightning/power waves to make a much more unique character.

Because you know, that's what matters.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
:wolf::fox::falco:
:mario2::luigi2:
:lucas::ness2:

Maybe I'm just missing the connection again.

Yes excatly Brosis, so lets not even bother.

Dynamo298

Smash Rookie
They need to add another Metriod character, Samus must get lonely.
I think Little Mac should be a very light character, able to dodge easily. He shouldn't be able to do lot's of damage, but should have a lot of moves that combo into each other.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Yes excatly Brosis, so lets not even bother.
Sakurai bothers to determine what is "unique," so it's not like we can't try either.

HE'S JUST A MAN. WITH THREE GAMES AND COUNTLESS INTERVIEWS, IS IT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND HIM.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
At least Ganon has a background of things that they could to go off of, so model swaps probably aren't the best example of not being unique.

<QUOTE> said:
Sakurai bothers to determine what is "unique," so it's not like we can't try either.
Thats because its in dude's job description.

Any basis for uniqueness is merely personal opinion and LORD KNOWS that we don't always come to an agreement about those.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
But uniqueness is clearly not an end all or even highly relevant point of interest for characters in a game about representing the past and present of iconic Nintendo icons.

I need better diction iconic icons lolol

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We really should correct the whole Balrog, Vega, Bison thing in America already

D

Deleted member

But uniqueness is clearly not an end all or even highly relevant point of interest for characters in a game about representing the past and present of iconic Nintendo icons.

Uniqueness however, plays a big factor.
Let's say, hypothetically, we have two characters that are major characters for a particular series (the main character is already included), and both are equally important.
Character A has nothing (or very little in common) with the character that's already included. Character B is near the same as the character that's already included, but slightly different.
Character A would be considered first. Character B would be considered as a last-minute decision clone, however.

However, if Character A, the unique one, had much less importance than Character B, then Character B would be considered first if a character is considered at all.
So your Lady Bow argument holds no water.

Don't see why K. Rool vs. Dixie needs to argued, though, as K. Rool beats out Dixie in terms of importance, uniqueness, and popularity.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I don't know how I didn't make the distinction when I read that earlier,

Lady Bow would be the Shiznite!

Don't see why K. Rool vs. Dixie needs to argued, though, as K. Rool beats out Dixie in terms of importance, uniqueness, and popularity.
I agree that it doesn't need to be argued, but not to means that we're all rooting for the same thing.

Character A would be considered first. Character B would be considered as a last-minute decision clone, however.
That's only presuming that it runs that way.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
That Starfox menu stage selection thing idea is really cool. :D I'm no starfox fan, but that seems interesting, hope it is true. ^^

And uniqueness isn't some subjective thing. We can look at what is objectively there, put something that isn't already there, and :063::064: we have ourselves something unique.

Edit: Of course. -_-; 4chan sucks.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Of course it is. Because it's a fighting game. To add to a fighting game is to add new characters that are interesting and fun to play as. They must be as varied as possible. That's just good design and should be common sense.

The only thing that really throws a wrench in that philosophy is Luigi in Smash 64, and OF COURSE for a character as famous and as popular as he is, you can pass on the whole uniqueness thing, and even so he still feels a bit different. (It's not THEEE deciding factor, after all)

The clones of Melee don't count since they weren't planned from the beginning. Even then he showed it was important to alter them even slightly so they felt DIFFERENT to play as.

People who cry about Wolf and Lucas don't know what they're talking about, and Ganondorf and Toon Link in Brawl apparently weren't altered since Sakurai felt it was more important to keep them as they were in Melee to not alienate players who enjoyed them.

If it was THE deciding factor, then you might have Junior or Krystal or something, because they only thing that makes them worth consideration is their paintbrush and staff, but it's good that it isn't the deciding factor since those characters aren't ...good by themselves. But if a characters is popular/important/blah blah... but DOESN'T offer anything to add to the roster, then they're not worth adding. Like Toad (maybe).

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I agree wholeheartedly. When it comes down to K. Rool and Dixie there is NO contest. K. Rool is vastly more important, unique, popular, and INTERESTING. I am the biggest DKC fanboy(and even more specifically, a DKC2 fanboy) out there and I love Dixie, but I will admit that she does not deserve to be playable.

There are only two reasons why anyone supports Dixie.
1. She was in the "Forbidden Seven". This is automatically fallacious logic, since she was only considered as part of a Diddy/Dixie combo. NEVER on her own.
2. She's a girl. Also, fallacious logic. Sakurai clearly doesn't care about adding more female characters (although it would be nice), seeing how Brawl added NONE.

Let's be real. The Donkey Kong franchise will be lucky if it gets three reps, and that slot automatically goes to K. Rool. There is no argument there. If Dixie were to be playable, what exactly would she do? Every single moveset I have seen for her involves ridiculous and arbitrarily thrown together 'hair moves' that are the definition of grasping at straws. I've even seen people suggest stealing Tiny Kong's moves (which really shows the irony of their support). And tacking on Kiddy Kong? That just proves that she does not have the legs to stand on as a playable character!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom