• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
That reminds me, I witnessed a man rob a grocercy store today. I was posting here when he did it too.

Dude rushed out the car and they dipped.

After that it was like nothing even happened.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You know V3nom, there is an art to an appropriately timed GIF. This was not one of those times.

Anyways, what is even the discussion right now? Just beat the first story of Custom Robo.

Iblis is dead there was a car wreck.
Dude, that is not funny at all.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Nah really, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Certainly not anyone here. Its just not an appropriate thing to joke about.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
You can be banned for saying that, when someone said that about Verm, he was banned the moment it was proven false.

Also, stop misusing the word "am". I think you mean "I'm".

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Look we aren't trying to beat you down V3nom (at least I'm not), but a joke like that is just not funny. Generally joking about anything hurtful like that is best left aside. It's a trait called "discretion", I know in today's society that is not very common, but you'd be all the wiser to learn it now. K? :)

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I have no ideas for ssb4 and half of the stuff i dont have a clue what you guys talk about i just troll.

BTW its me sw96 if you dont know that.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I have no ideas for ssb4 and half of the stuff i dont have a clue what you guys talk about i just troll.

If you really have nothing to say about Smash Bros, yet still have nothing better to do than to post on a Smash Bros thread, I suggest checking out tvtropes.org. If reading isn't your thing (and I have a hunch that it might not be), then perhaps try reddit.com. You can thank me later.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
If a melee fan bashes brawl in a forest and nobody is around to hear it, do brawl fans around the world still get butthurt?
I'm sure the theory holds true if any other FG does the same about Melee. I would know since I hang around both communities when I get the chance.

fixed.......
Are we still going on about clones when there are other characters that need to be looked at? I will give you Ganon needs help, but the fact you compared Jiggly and Kirby makes me worry about how far are people going to say something is a clone.

So am I. So confused by the sudden influx of newbies to the thread!

Tell me what's really good about discussion my man Hoots

Where the hell is Iblis?
What's up

Iblis is dead there was a car wreck.
And then you woke up. The nightmare was over.

If you really have nothing to say about Smash Bros, yet still have nothing better to do than to post on a Smash Bros thread, I suggest checking out tvtropes.org. If reading isn't your thing (and I have a hunch that it might not be), then perhaps try reddit.com. You can thank me later.
-DEAD-

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Playing through Custom Robo I heard this track that reminded me of something that would come out of Sonic Adventure 2. Cyber Speedway?

http://youtu.be/2s61rdA0GFo

I really want a Custom Robo stage (again) after playing this game. Super Smash Bros is in serious need of a cyberpunk stage.

Truth is as much as I want as many diverse atmospheres as possible with my stages, that makes it more difficult to try and balance each character in terms of their design and appearance. Looking at Brawl I can see why Sakurai expressed how difficult it is to make every series fit together. Though I might love it, I can understand how challenging it could be from a design perspective. *sigh*

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I guess that was poor word choicing that time LOL

@Star: It does have a SA2 feeling to it. I enjoyed Custom Robo to the fullest on the GC. Would the stage have to do with a lot of moving floors? Disappearing floors into virtual lava? That's what I can imagine. More reason they should add Ray to the Smash roster...haha

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We need to start a topic NOT about Iblis and cars.

What would make a good character for smash, but can't be in? The Ninja Turtles.

Switch between the 4 turtles, each with their signature weapons and special attacks that can be taken from multiple games, movies and tv shows

They have at least 2 fighting games. One a terrible smash clone

You know what movie needs to be remade these days?

Citizen Kane

It's in friggin' black and white.

...and who the heck is Orson Welles?

We need something young and hip the kids can get down with.

Kristin Stewart can play the female lead. Add in Rihanna and Jack Black.

Edit: Think of the movie license video games for this thing. It could have a sled racing level

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
How about talking about what Star has presented

@Star: It does have a SA2 feeling to it. I enjoyed Custom Robo to the fullest on the GC. Would the stage have to do with a lot of moving floors? Disappearing floors into virtual lava? That's what I can imagine. More reason they should add Ray to the Smash roster...haha

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can't say I like the custo robo series.

The game just looks and feels unpolished

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Custom Robo (any incarnation) isn't a game I can get really into consistently. I only play it a few times a year, but when I do, I play it obsessively for about a month.

But yeah, I think the series fits the Wii U like a glove. Hopefully there's something happening there.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It just seems too much like a crappy saturday morning anime story wise, character wise, etc. And doesn't have the substance to back that up.

Nintendo games lack of story helps them in some way. Even pokemon which MAKES a crappy saturday morning anime does good in the games by keeping the storyline short and too the point.

It reminds me of all those "Card Collecting" anime knock offs that were all the craze

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
  1. Crouch dash
  2. High jumps
  3. Streamlining of DI
I guess I'll ask for detail. What do you mean by 1. and 3.? I dislike the idea of higher jumps. But, I guess the differences in jumps lend to character strengths and disadvantages. But in general, characters having higher jumps is not always the best idea. A short jump and a high jump is very useful depending upon the situation.
1. A crouch dash would basically be the new wavedash so to speak. It would be done with some input. The crouch dash, as Iblis mentioned, would have the distinct property of lowering the character's hitbox, allowing you to dodge high attacks and most projectiles. How low you go is character dependent though. Wouldn't make much sense for Bowser to go as low as Sheik.

2. A high jump is done by pressing down and then immediately the up direction + Jump (if you have stick jump off). This jump goes higher than a normal single jump. The high jump "costs" two jumps so you lose your double jump for most characters and lose an extra jump for multi-jumpers.

3. Personally, I'd like to see DI go back to Smash 64's more simplistic SDI. Not only that, but I'd like to see it where I don't need to two sticks to DI in a particular direction.

If we are going to high jumps, it will take away the double jump option if you use it right? I also think it should be a high acceleration jump so you could actually use it as a follow-up. With the no double jump but high acceleration I feel it gives it a good risk-reward ratio for balancing purposes in a basic move and concept. Also if you high jump you should float for a little bit at your peak. I'm just trying to make this balanced as possible so bear with me, haha.

It gets me thinking, high jump canceling, in the middle of your high jump if you push down, as if you were preparing for a smash, you psuedo-peak and then start your desent. Keep in mind you don't get a second jump. This is pressure sensetive so if you want to Dair (Down Air) while you are rising you can still do it. Just do it in a manner as if you were doing a Dtilt (Down Tilt) instead of a Dsmash (Down Smash)

Wow, I think that's first time I've been inspired to write something that serious in a while. Thank you
I like the way you think. You're questions were answered above. You know, though, I'm wondering if it's not exactly pressure sensitive for the attack inputs but rather your timing. This is just something I've noticed with Virtua Fighter. There are inputs where you may do forward+P at the same time, but another attack will call for forward held for a moment and then press P.

@John&Kuma: Really? Stances? That doesn't fit Sonic as a character
Well, I'm not saying Sonic should be in a Phoenix stance like Xiaoyu or anything that fancy. I think his "stance" should be him curled up in a ball like in the 2D Sonic games when you do the roll charge, except you don't hold down to maintain the stance, but you can press down twice to get out of it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When NOISE first started they were owned by Marigul Management, and all games made under that umbrella had a fairly low budget. Eventually Marigul closed, and Noise was one of only two development teams to not shut down. That's when Custom Robo started getting a little more polish, but I agree it still doesn't have that much. I still find it fun though, and I really hope the series continues. It's not like Noise does anything else anyway. I still play Custom Robo Arena more than I do some of my 3DS games. It would be very interesting to see how the 3D holosseum (the fighting arena in Custom Robo) transfers to a 2D stage in Smash (if Custom Robo ever manages to get one).

And now onto the several-page-old irrelevance:
By the way, it was faghag. I'm censor dodging for your convenience. It's when a woman has many homosexual friends. So Shorts would have wanted N3ON to have wanted to be his friend on the basis of his homosexuality, BUT because DreamN revealed himself as a fellow homosexual, Shorts then had competition for N3ON's friendship.

The dream may have arisen because I was visiting with my two lesbian friends for a week.
I don't know the exact rules of faghaggery, and as much fun as competition for whom I should be their hag sounds, I'd be happy being a ***hag to both Shortie and DreamN. The more gay guys the better. ;)
Gay guys are usually more fun anyway.
:awesome:
Anyway, I hope you have a follow-up dream, so I can hear who wins. :laugh:

And now that I think about it, I think I might already be a ***hag IRL. :laugh:
Most of my gay friends still don't want to play Smash with me though. :(
I seem to have the best luck with straight guys there, but for some reason they usually often break my controllers when they work their asses off trying to beat me. :woman::rotfl:

N30N will be mine. We will have cyber sleep overs, and I'll tell her her ex is a jerk, and that we can both diet together. That will show our exes. Arcade and SSBF cannot compete with me because I'm the Strongayst.

Now, about that Smash Wii U.
Ugh, my ex is a jerk. And perhaps I should start dieting again...

OMG maybe I should be your faghag. :laugh:

And now that I've left this incredibly Smash-relevant post, I'm out! ^_^

1. A crouch dash would basically be the new wavedash so to speak. It would be done with some input. The crouch dash, as Iblis mentioned, would have the distinct property of lowering the character's hitbox, allowing you to dodge high attacks and most projectiles. How low you go is character dependent though. Wouldn't make much sense for Bowser to go as low as Sheik.

2. A high jump is done by pressing down and then immediately the up direction + Jump (if you have stick jump off). This jump goes higher than a normal single jump. The high jump "costs" two jumps so you lose your double jump for most characters and lose an extra jump for multi-jumpers.

3. Personally, I'd like to see DI go back to Smash 64's more simplistic SDI. Not only that, but I'd like to see it where I don't need to two sticks to DI in a particular direction.
Other than the dashing in crouch form, I think these needlessly complicates the game, then. Short hop vs full hop due to duration of how long you hold the button is simple enough and fits with smash simplistic design. Do you mean you'd like to not have access to two sticks? You do not exactly need to use both stick to DI in any manner. It simply makes it easier.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree wholeheartedly. When it comes down to K. Rool and Dixie there is NO contest. K. Rool is vastly more important, unique, popular, and INTERESTING. I am the biggest DKC fanboy(and even more specifically, a DKC2 fanboy) out there and I love Dixie, but I will admit that she does not deserve to be playable.

There are only two reasons why anyone supports Dixie.
1. She was in the "Forbidden Seven". This is automatically fallacious logic, since she was only considered as part of a Diddy/Dixie combo. NEVER on her own.
2. She's a girl. Also, fallacious logic. Sakurai clearly doesn't care about adding more female characters (although it would be nice), seeing how Brawl added NONE.

Let's be real. The Donkey Kong franchise will be lucky if it gets three reps, and that slot automatically goes to K. Rool. There is no argument there. If Dixie were to be playable, what exactly would she do? Every single moveset I have seen for her involves ridiculous and arbitrarily thrown together 'hair moves' that are the definition of grasping at straws. I've even seen people suggest stealing Tiny Kong's moves (which really shows the irony of their support). And tacking on Kiddy Kong? That just proves that she does not have the legs to stand on as a playable character!
1: I am the biggest DKC fanboy :smirk: Especially DKC2. Best game ever. :cool:

And second and third:

Forbidden 7 is overrated. Do you guys SERIOUSLY think a Plusle / Minun combo or a Toon Zelda / non existant Toon Sheik combo would make it into Smash? I only consider Mewtwo, Dixie, Roy (less so than the other 2) and MAYBE Dr.Mario as vailable.
And speaking of Toon Zelda / Toon Sheik, that makes a Skyward Sword based Zelda and IMPA all the more likely imo.

She's a girl is an overused argument. Females ARE lacking in Smash though, but a sole argument that a character as unique as Dixie would only make it because of THAT fact is just not true. She will make it or not depending on how Sakurai can make her feel unique. And as you know, she could be very unique. And if not, a late Luigified Diddy-clone could also work.

Gasping at straws for hair-based moves also? Why can't Dixie have a new made up move involving her hair for a B move now? YOu know how many characters got their ENTIRE moveset made up? If she'd have an unique move for Smash for her B move, a Side B similar to Diddy, a Down B where she'd either throw a barrel or a banana (as Diddy could have a move now very similar to DK's Ground Slap since DKCR) and the Up B being the famous Helicopter Spin it would all work well. Give Diddy a few more moves involving his tail (like B Air, U Air -a double hit, a kick, then a tail whip like Fox's but same animation as before- and a few tilts moves) and give Dixie instead of tail attacks, hair based attacks they would play differently enough already. And I am pretty sure Diddy will have his moveset tweaked a bit anyway.

SURE THING, King K.Rool is a whole heap more unique than that, but I really cannot picture ANY OTHER character that comes close as the level of uniqueness K.Rool has so that's no point AGAINST Dixie, no, that's point FOR K.Rool. :smirk: At least, that's how I see it.

I want Dixie cause she's Dixie. Being a female doesn't have a thing to do with it, and the Forbidden 7 outside of Mewtwo and her imo can all suck a big fat banana. :embarrass:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Other than the dashing in crouch form, I think these needlessly complicates the game, then. Short hop vs full hop due to duration of how long you hold the button is simple enough and fits with smash simplistic design. Do you mean you'd like to not have access to two sticks? You do not exactly need to use both stick to DI in any manner. It simply makes it easier.
If you hold up for longer amount of time couldn't do the same for high jumps? Making it not complicated. That's what we were going on the whole time.

Diddy you might want to research before you speak, a lot of the characters have moves from their games. There is a whole entire series of it on Youtube.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Impa isn't SS only,that's a bad way too represent SS,that's why Ghirahim is better SS representation.
If Impa gets in smash,that ain't gonna be a SS representation.But SS would be her default costume i think.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
The Shutdown Master said:
I'm sure the theory holds true if any other FG does the same about Melee.
Impressive response.

Hoots said:
There are only two reasons why anyone supports Dixie
Iblis said:
Diddy you might want to research before you speak
I am impressed with most of what Diddy had to say about the matter.

Diddy Kong said:
SURE THING, King K.Rool is a whole heap more unique than that, but I really cannot picture ANY OTHER character that comes close as the level of uniqueness K.Rool has so that's no point AGAINST Dixie
Essentially this.

I would be a whole lot more impressed by Hoots' argument had KRool had been chosen for Brawl, over a character like say, Wolf.

KumaOso said:
I think his "stance" should be him curled up in a ball like in the 2D Sonic games when you do the roll charge, except you don't hold down to maintain the stance, but you can press down twice to get out of it
I don't like the idea just based around Iblis' response. I'm sure plenty of other characters could take on the qualities of what your suggestions, but I don't see it happening for Sonic.

Think of the dramatic difference it would make for his hitbox structure. There's a reason why Samus doesn't rely on that kind ability as a part of her moveset (morph ball stance)

Phsyco said:
Nintendo games lack of story helps them in some way.
I see where you're coming from and agree for the most part; nevertheless there are plenty of Nintendo titles that have compelling storylines that don't conflict with the essence of gameplay.

and by the way N3ON, it is okay to make friends that don't involve a specific pretense. I'd rather not be the Star of any person's dream unless it involves the shenenigans of my fellow All-Stars here.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I don't like the idea just based around Iblis' response. I'm sure plenty of other characters could take on the qualities of what your suggestions, but I don't see it happening for Sonic.

Think of the dramatic difference it would make for his hitbox structure. There's a reason why Samus doesn't rely on that kind ability as a part of her moveset (morph ball stance)
This basically. I don't see nor have I seen in (expect that poor RPG Sonic Game) a Sonic game where he retains a stance for such a thing. His spin is holdable but he doesn't use it for counter attacks, and the closest thing you could possibly make an argument for Sonic and stance are the Light Speed Dash, and only from Sonic Adventure 1, he doesn't exactly hold a stance beside the 2 seconds you finish charging. Sadly, we begin to see that's the normal, steady myself, stance sonic takes after charging a spin dash and letting go it away without releasing it or sometimes after a jump but it only happens if you don't move after the landing.

What makes the whole Sonic Adventure 1 argument you could use pointless is, the sequel. Sonic Adventure 2 features the return of the Light Speed Dash but completely removes the whole charge-up feature. Why? Because charging it up completely didn't fit Sonic's gameplay style. It just completely broke the flow whenever you had to Light Dash in Sonic Adventure compared to its sequel.

That's all for now.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Come to think about it, the light dash would be a pretty damn unique move. That would be on par with Mario's up B which knocks coins out of his opponenent. (Man I love that mod where Wario can beat coins out the person he's grabbed)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This basically. I don't see nor have I seen in (expect that poor RPG Sonic Game) a Sonic game where he retains a stance for such a thing. His spin is holdable but he doesn't use it for counter attacks, and the closest thing you could possibly make an argument for Sonic and stance are the Light Speed Dash, and only from Sonic Adventure 1, he doesn't exactly hold a stance beside the 2 seconds you finish charging. Sadly, we begin to see that's the normal, steady myself, stance sonic takes after charging a spin dash and letting go away without releasing it or sometimes after a jump but it only happens if you don't move after the landing.
I never said it'd be used for counter attacks. The point of a stance move is to have specific followups to it. In other words, if you combo into the stance, depending on the move, you should be able to combo into a roll followup.

Anyway, the idea behind the stance is that his rolling moves are all under one move. IMO, Sonic's most suitable as a mixup character, and I think a "rolling stance" is a means of achieving this.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
The thing is there is really only one rolling move, the spindash

I like this, a lot of Love for a character that may not even return.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
We don't really have to focus on rolling moves, thus removing the stance. The only thing that should really concern ball form is Spin Dash (grounded Down B), jumping, and homing attack (aerial B).

Sega has done it before with giving Sonic a moveset and it turned into an amazing game imo, and this isn't Sonic Fighters where Sonic didn't really have a full fledged moveset to work with.

EDIT: I like the second highest rated comment in the video. Homie's got the right idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom