• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Considering all the Starfox Wii U rumors retros been affiliated with, I'm predicting it will be Starfox. Also, what I am very very very much hoping for.
I think one misinterpreted quote and shady rumors hardly constitute legitimate rumblings.

I also fall back on my earlier point, the artists Retro has hired for their project does not fall in line with a Star Fox game. One of the gentleman hired, before his Twitter was yanked by Nintendo, posted a screenshot of his office with a game that looked more in line with an action/adventure title than a shooter. Unless Retro is deciding to take Star Fox there, I doubt it is Star Fox.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think one misinterpreted quote and shady rumors hardly constitute legitimate rumblings.

I also fall back on my earlier point, the artists Retro has hired for their project does not fall in line with a Star Fox game. One of the gentleman hired, before his Twitter was yanked by Nintendo, posted a screenshot of his office with a game that looked more in line with an action/adventure title than a shooter. Unless Retro is deciding to take Star Fox there, I doubt it is Star Fox.
Adventures 2? 8D

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Adventures 2? 8D
No matter how good Retro is it did not work the first time, and it will not work a second. For all that they are better off working with their own IP, or something with a lot of creative liberty such as Startropics.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
No matter how good Retro is it did not work the first time, and it will not work a second. For all that they are better off working with their own IP, or something with a lot of creative liberty such as Startropics.
Oh yeah, that game looked bad. I was just playing.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion

I don't really see how some artists that Retro hires are going to be the one thing that stops them from working on Starfox.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Am I the only one who really enjoyed Falco in Brawl? I thought he was perfect except for his FS, obviously
Those lasers... To me, a projectile that dishes out any hitstun shouldn't be as spam friendly as Falco's laser. Fox's laser in Smash 64 was a good balance as a projectile. Same goes for all of the PK Fires.
I still think that he should be able to glide because he's a bird but other than this i really liked Falco more than Fox in Brawl yes.
To avoid furry confusion, just give him a third jump.

Honestly, I agree. If I want the same rail-shooter, I'll go buy Star Fox 64. The franchise needs to evolve and change. I feel a reboot that is mostly suggested due to the nostalgia of the aged game play would not be the best root for the series and in fact, kill sales.
Would you say that's why Capcom's not doing much with Megaman these days?

I don't think a reboot in terms of story is needed, especially since Command is likely non-canon (they only said the endings weren't canon). I liked Assault a lot, thought it had a better story. The balance wasn't good where there were too many ground levels. I wonder if the ground levels (which I think should return) should be more like a blend of Starfox Adventures and Assault. It would make the levels more diverse and allows for deeper strategy. Toss in some Metal Gear elements and we could be onto something.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I don't really see how some artists that Retro hires are going to be the one thing that stops them from working on Starfox.
It's not that it prevents them from doing anything, but it is probably an indicator of the direction they are taking their project. Most of their latest hires have been big artists from massively popular western/action games. As I posted before there was even a screenshot from a mysterious game that ended up getting one guy's Twitter shut down. It looked nothing like a Star Fox game.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I never heard about that pic/leak, Star Fox or not I guess we're all in for a surprise at E3 then.

I won't lie though, I'd rather see a new Startropics or Nazo no Murasame over Star Fox.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
It's not that it prevents them from doing anything, but it is probably an indicator of the direction they are taking their project. Most of their latest hires have been big artists from massively popular western/action games. As I posted before there was even a screenshot from a mysterious game that ended up getting one guy's Twitter shut down. It looked nothing like a Star Fox game.
Where would you have been able to find out about their latest hires?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I never heard about that pic/leak, Star Fox or not I guess we're all in for a surprise at E3 then.

I won't lie though, I'd rather see a new Startropics or Nazo no Murasame over Star Fox.
Because it did not get out past certain circles in NeoGAF. The guy's Twitter was shut down very quickly after his post. It was even joked about in the thread.

Haha, you guys ruined one of someone's few outlets to the outside world.
Where would you have been able to find out about their latest hires?
NeoGAF. When you hire the lead character artist for Darksiders, Gray Ginther, I tend to believe it is for a game where visual appeal matters.

D

Deleted member

My most wanted reveal is actually F-zero, but that is ruled out as a possibility for E3 2012. An E3 2013 reveal is possible, thought.

@Starphoenix: Could you describe those pictures further?

I think Star Fox will get it's revival eventually. Probably not now as you pointed out, but maybe late into the Wii-U/early 9th gen.
KumaOso said:
Would you say that's why Capcom's not doing much with Megaman these days?
The fact the franchise is not evolving? I'd say so.

For levels I think most of them should be a free-roaming dogfighting atmosphere to allow large expansion on the battlefield and help improve the validity of team mates. Ground levels ideas are good, thought, but I think they should be a relatively small part of the game.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Also, you people are taking that barrel roll quote out of context:

"While some suggest this new project is likely to be a return to the Metroid franchise, we’d love to see another Nintendo hero get the retro stamp of excellence. After all, having rolled out the barrels for Donkey Kong, perhaps it’s time Retro pulled off a barrel roll of a different kind."
This was simply a quote from ONM listing what they hope would happen. Just wanted to point that out.

It almost looked like a dungeon of some kind. Between the blur and lighting of the screen it was hard to tell, but it definitely had some kind of fantasy vibe to it. For a minute I was thinking "dang, maybe Retro really is working on a new Zelda?"

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
My most wanted reveal is actually F-zero, but that is ruled out as a possibility for E3 2012. An E3 2013 reveal is possible, thought.

I think Star Fox will get it's revival eventually. Probably not now as you pointed out, but maybe late into the Wii-U/early 9th gen.The fact the franchise is not evolving? I'd say so.

For levels I think most of them should be a free-roaming dogfighting atmosphere to allow large expansion on the battlefield and help improve the validity of team mates. Ground levels ideas are good, thought, but I think they should be a relatively small part of the game.
I don't see why you think Starfox being revealed at this E3 is so unlikely. There have been lots of rumors that suggest that it could be. I know they are just rumors but their have been about 3 of them so considered thats more than 1, that's at least saying something.

The only thing that suggests that Retro might not be working on Starfox, is the Artists that Retro has been hiring apparently. They might be working on a new Nintendo IP, but I think theres more evidence for Starfox than there is for an IP. Nothing at all has said that they are working on an IP, people are just speculating that really.

And@ starpheonix: if you saw some of my later posts, you will see that I realized that. And considering the fact that they mention Starfox, out of the many other and more popular Nintendo series' That's saying that they might know something we don't

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not interested if it's only rail-shooting. I want variety.

I want on-foot segments. That's when I honestly started to enjoy the series. StarFox 64 was fun and all, but the second I could play the characters on the ground is where I had the most fun.

Same old formula is not fun for me. There has to be changes, otherwise, I don't see a reason to bother with a version that's pretty much the same with better graphics.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Not interested if it's only rail-shooting. I want variety.

I want on-foot segments. That's when I honestly started to enjoy the series. StarFox 64 was fun and all, but the second I could play the characters on the ground is where I had the most fun.

Same old formula is not fun for me. There has to be changes, otherwise, I don't see a reason to bother with a version that's pretty much the same with better graphics.
That's why an Assault type multiplayer for the online SF WII U would be perfect IMO and in lots of other peoples opinion too.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, question time.
Is Fossil Fighters a 1st Party franchise?

EDIT: I mean, it has Nintendo SPD as a developer, but it also has Red Entertainment, M2, and Artdink as developers, which are 3rd Party companies.
Does Nintendo own the rights to the franchise full-on? Like say, if Sakurai hypothetically was going to add a Fossil Fighter character, he wouldn't need to contact the latter three developer companies for permission?

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
The Rainman concept is... different. But it's pretty cool.

Reading his Balloon Fighter concept got me all hype about that character again, though. I wasn't too passionate about a retro, but I may have regained my favorite with the Balloonist.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's why an Assault type multiplayer for the online SF WII U would be perfect IMO and in lots of other peoples opinion too.
I want it offline and single player as well.

I'm very bored without free movement. And I prefer my free movement to be more than a short boss fight. I'm very picky about that.

I honestly hate it when control it taken away from my character, but if I can atleast have moments where I'm in full control(and should be quite often), I can tolerate it.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
You guys are sick. That's not what I meant.:c Also, I'm coming up with a complete moveset for Blaziken/Sceptile soon, prob not today, but sometime soon. Also, Flint would be perfect fpr a 3rd EB rep, because he's a physical fighter. And that vid was hilarious. death to the chu!

Edit: No, Fossil Fighters is 2nd party. Which is why I hype him for Sm4sh.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I love how, in that gif, Starfy and Kirby are like bitter rivals or something. :laugh:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
With a character named Rainman, you make the jokes too easy
he'd be an excellent fighter.

the only star fox game i played was 643D. (i was a little underwhelmed, but that could just be because i got Uprising at the same time). i'd like to see them put krystal in a new one so i can form a proper opinion on her. as of right now all i know about her is that she carries a staff and could possibly not have a blaster/reflector/landmaster sort of moveset.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I was out yesterday, so I'm just catching up with the past discussions...

@John: Mewtwo and Roy are lightweights.
I did find it very odd that Roy and Mewtwo were much lighter than the princesses. You'd think they'd be heavier.

@ Oasis
I think Roy was at least a mid-heavyweight. Mewtwo was a mid-lightweight I think. :rolleyes:

In my opinion both of those should be changed...

...just like how your shirt should be changed to "piss" Oasis. :p

That way you can be Super Seriously Scary Oasis_S! :shades:
Mewtwo should be as heavy as Wario. At least, that's how I see Mewtwo's weight going.

False.

Marth has the same weights at Roy and Mewtwo (and Young Link) in the PAL version of Melee. :p :cool: :grin:

Seriously though, the current smash weight system (ranking) is garbage. I don't know how Sakurai ranks it, but it's all messed up. :rotfl:
It is pretty messed up with certain characters. For example, Yoshi is never classified as heavy in the Mario spin-offs; his heaviest position has been middleweight.

I actually kinda liked brawl's story mode. Yea it was all over the place but that's common for fighting games that try to make a story =\.

VVV You gon take that John? You can't just let that one go
:phone:
The one thing that I'd improve on is the enemies. Focus more on the classics, instead of overkilling the adventure with originals; for example, replace those Jyks with Gordos.

but Adventure mode was barely an adventure, most of it was regular fights. i only remember two actual adventure levels, and even they were punctuated with fights against yoshi and link. i like both melee's adventure and brawl's SSE, but i think the latter does a better job of being an adventure mode.

i think SSE would've been fine if the levels themselves were the same, but all the enemies were from other nintendo titles.

and my scrotum would make terrible armor. it would be so cold.
Melee's Adventure Mode is pretty much flawed in that you had to play it up to "25" separate times, and the opponents were mostly the starter characters only.

The Subspace Emissary pretty much reduced how many times you had to play it; you only need to play it up to "2" times if you want all the cinemas unlocked. Sure you don't exactly get to choose who to play as, but it's still a relatively good improvement over Melee's Adventure Mode.

I don't know anything about Project M, but lately all I hear about it is how particular characters are not balanced well at all. ???
I did see a video of how Bowser could be improved. One of the improvements included more super armor frames. However, I did feel like he looked too powerful with those changes.

I finally finished Kirby! Not 100% with all the gears. Still gotta handle Extra mode (****).
[collapse=Review]Kirby Returns to Dreamland

Kirby's back and the game pretty much follows the roots of a classic Kirby game. There are a few new additions. The first and most notable is the multiplayer feature which was one of the biggest ups in the game. The second new addition is the new ultra abilities which I found really cool to look at. At first, I felt like it was unnecessary but as I played through the game, it was actually a cool addition.

The story is simple.
Magolor's ship lands on dreamland and loses its main parts. Kirby and his friends decide to help him gather the parts. After getting the parts, they head for Magolor's planet only to be attacked by some 3 headed dragon king who's name I forgot. Kirby and the gang decides to defeat the dragons and succeeds. As it turns out, Magolor actually was just using them to get to the crown of limitless power. Kirby and the gang eventually defeat him and everything is back to normal.
For some reason, it's like the story of milky way wishes? Or whatever that game was in Super Star Ultra where in Marx just uses you.

Gameplay is the same. Infinite flight, inhale to copy abilities and that usual stuff in Kirby. HOWEVER, the difficulty was SIGNIFICANTLY raised. Flying through won't save you anymore since you're usually likely to get hit anyway and your health is decreased so whenever you get hit, you find yourself with only 4/5 of your life. Oh and in extra mode, you're life is halved so..... Yeah, you're pretty ****ed unless your really good (Or maybe it's just that I suck. Lol). There are also these gears you need to collect throughout the levels similar to Kirby 64 with the crystal shards. Most or all copy abilities have new moves which were cool and the new abilities were cool (Leaf, water and whirlwind most notably).

Graphics are basic but I really don't give ****s to graphics.

Replay value is really good. Collecting gears, doing ability challenges and replaying the game in a harder mode seems to be worth it.

I have only 2 MINOR complaints. One of which is the "Team attack". I think its quite hard to pull off since all players need to release the A button at the same time so I didn't find myself using it a lot. My second complaint goes to the "Leg holding" feature. The "Leg holding" feature (If that's the name) is where in the player holds another player's foot/leg/whatever. It's the same as piggyback riding except you hold the foot of the character. It usually gets me killed since I NEVER mean to hold Kirby's huge foot. This happens during tight areas and areas where in there's blowing wind.

Overall rating : 4.8/5[/collapse]
tl;dr

+ Challenging
+ Multiplayer
+ Copy abilities are better than before
+ Great replay value
- Team attack isn't really all that useful
- Leg holding usually gets someone killed

This game also made my support for Waddle Dee from 75% to 90%. Unfortunately, I'm aware that his chances are 50-50 or slightly worse.

D

Deleted member

It almost looked like a dungeon of some kind. Between the blur and lighting of the screen it was hard to tell, but it definitely had some kind of fantasy vibe to it. For a minute I was thinking "dang, maybe Retro really is working on a new Zelda?"
I think the possibility of us getting a new Zelda depends on when Retro's new game is shown. If we don't see it until E3 2013, it's Zelda. But if it's being revealed next month, I'm saying new IP.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Lol Kuma how is Lloyd or Symphonia significant to Nintendo anyway, it's just one of the games in Tales-series! Why should EVEN Lloyd get in over Pacman?

Pacman's more been with Nintendo, especially when ya consider Pacman Vs in Gamecube and Mario Kart GP.

Just saying....
He's more Smash translatable.

I'm hoping for Online 4 player, now that will be great. especially if it was something like Assault's multiplayer. I'm sure that if Retro is developing the game, that we will get online.
That would be sick.

Adventures 2? 8D
Assualt 2.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
return to dream land was waaaay fun. extra mode didn't give me too much trouble, but the true arena is rough. i've gotten a far as round 12, but the longest i normally last is round 5 or 6.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
The only way I can beat the True Arena is either without any abilities at all or with Spear/Waddle Dee. :laugh:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I think the possibility of us getting a new Zelda depends on when Retro's new game is shown. If we don't see it until E3 2013, it's Zelda. But if it's being revealed next month, I'm saying new IP.
Still not seeing why you don't think Starfox has a good chance.

There is no evidence for a New IP, it's just speculation and you wanting it.

Also, is there a link to the picture that Retro showed off that looked like a fantasy game?
I want it offline and single player as well.

I'm very bored without free movement. And I prefer my free movement to be more than a short boss fight. I'm very picky about that.

I honestly hate it when control it taken away from my character, but if I can atleast have moments where I'm in full control(and should be quite often), I can tolerate it.
If you want more free movement, then they could add more all range mode levels where you still get to be in your arwing and go in all directions. Also, online should definitely be added, if you don't want to see it then just don't play it. A good online will help the game to last longer at least, especially with the Wii U's online system.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Still not seeing why you think Starfox has a good chance.

There is no evidence for a new Starfox, it's just speculation and you wanting it.
Sorry you had a typo I had to fix. A new Starfox game would be cool but it seems like your expectations are unrealistically high.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Sorry you had a typo I had to fix.

Your wrong, there have been 3 rumors all from multiple sources. Thats at least saying something, There is no evidence for a new IP. Zelda could definitely be a possibility though.

Even if all the Starfox rumors are false, it's at least showing that a lot of people are interested in seeing them work on a Starfox. And retro said themselves, "a project everyone wants us to do"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom