• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I rememeber there was something about Leon S. Kennedy being a more rumored character than Mega Man in the pre-Brawl days. Can someone explain?
Never heard of it, but Leon Kennedy had a surprisingly bigger than expected fan base pre-Brawl. Of course, I didn't expect a fan base for Leon! :embarrass:
I have been checking to see if there has been any new discussion for Smash Bros. on Japanese forums/topics/blog entries in relation to FE13, and I have not seen much of anything. Heck, I saw little discussion when Uprising was released. I am kind of getting the feeling that the Japanese are not anticipating newcomers as much as we are, which might explain Sakurai's statement that Smash 4 will have less newcomers added than Brawl.
When did Sakurai say Smash 4 could have less newcomers than Brawl=??? I need a LINK!!! :bee:
If the Smash series continues, there will be a point where the number of new characters added will decline, and it might be with SSB4.
Well Brawl added 13 roster spots, but Melee added 14 rosters spots. However, Brawl cut 4 characters, and added 17 characters, whereas Melee added 14 characters with 0 cuts.
Yeah, but then people'll just want a ****load of DLC
If it is free, I'll take anything. If it costs money it better be good and be worth buying. Of course I expect more content for something for $20 than $5.

If it's characters for Smash though, I'll cough up a crap ton of money, especially if it's a good character. Heck, I'll even pay for characters I hate! :chuckle:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I seriously doubt Master Hand was considered for playable status. I mean, think about it; a health based fighter that can fly freely across stages in a game about knocking characters out of an arena?

And being playable through a glitch doesn't count, as it wasn't intended that way; that's why it's called a glitch. To argue that Master Hand counts as an official character playable in Melee is the same as calling Missingno. a legitimate Pokemon.
Heck, Galactus in UMvC3 is more of a legitimate character than Master Hand because you can actually use him without glitches or hacks. But even then, he isn't FULLY legitimate because you can't use him in multiplayer.

:201i: :201l::201i::201k::201e: :201t::201a::201l::201k::201i::201n::201g: :201i::201n: :201u::201n::201o::201w::201n:.
I am so using talking unown now :-D

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Just for the record, anything anyone says in Unowns I will absolutely ignore. XD I am not going to interpret what people are trying to say haha

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Online Passes are ****ing stupid
I hate that crap. That is one of many reasons I hate EA WITH A PASSION!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Also, lmao at people thinking Master Hand and Crazy Hand were thought to be actual playable characters. As Oasis would say, this is getting Silly.

Lastly, the Unown talk is Stoopid. :bee:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just for the record, anything anyone says in Unowns I will absolutely ignore. XD I am not going to interpret what people are trying to say haha
I agree. It's annoying after a while. Was funny at first... but like all things, too much goes too far.

Like Meta Knight. :awesome:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Aww, but you had to give me a chance... I wasn't even here when you guys started it. :urg:

And PKNintendo had a really awesome signature that has MK in it and has me laughing every time.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Umm, but it's really easy. You just scroll the mouse over the unown, and it tells you the letter.

:201l::201i::201k::201e: :201t::201h::201i::201s:
If I have to even scroll over them I'm still going to ignore it.

And no I'm not ****ing lazy. XDDD

Oh, and the "Sakurai cutting on newcomers" I think is referring to what was mentioned and discussed a while back I believe.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Not... GOOGLE TRANSLATE!!!! WAAAAA! >.<

Okay, i'm going to find that post I made before about recursive translation and show you guys so you can laugh a bit.

Nononono, I wasn't implying that you were lazy holder, I... I... *feels shot down*

I'll be back. :urg:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Talk instead if Pokémon language from :001: (#1 in the Pokédex; it is the letter "A") to :026: (#26 in the Pokédex; it is the letter "Z").
I honestly don't think we are getting brand-new, never-before-playable characters through DLC... the best they might do is bring back the cut characters via DLC like Mewtwo, Roy, and possibly anyone else who might get the cut during the transition from Brawl to Smash 4 like Ike, Lucario, Toon Link, even Jigglypuff due to time constraints.
I think that is the most likely scenario, if not only scenario. I think no one would really oppose that happening.

Although puff ain't getting cut. Smash would be better off if disposable characters like Yoshi, Zelda, and Pit got cut. :troll:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ok here's the example. You should be able to pick it up from the first stanza, but i'll let you know that the second is from the same song. O.O

If there is strange something
At your neighborhood
Whether who calling if
Destructive person

Incomprehensible something
Of the illusion which has done and it is
Whether who calling carefully
The destructive person of the illusion which that it has gone does not see

Yea. That's right. It's Ghostbusters. >.<

And that was from the episode of spicks and specks.
Here it is.

Also....

Although puff ain't getting cut. Smash would be better off if disposable characters like Yoshi, Zelda, and Pit got cut.
I will murder you. Not really. Maybe. Probably not. Kind of. Uhhh.... I'm good. :3

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Luco
I meant Yoshi, Zelda, and Pit are disposable because not many people play them. They also are all below average in every smash game they have been in. Granted I like playing as Yoshi. Plus I think that Zelda has a ton of unique moves that could potentially make a great character that doesn't totally suck in a future smash bros. game! :rotfl:

Plus Pit is just a terribly designed character IMO in Brawl. He's just a campy little hoe! :mad: Oh, and Pit mains are in general terrible and annoying at everything ever. :facepalm:
Mewtwo? DLC?
**** that
Mewtwo as DLC in Brawl would be more than okay by me. :laugh:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@ Luco
I meant Yoshi, Zelda, and Pit are disposable because not many people play them. They also are all below average in every smash game they have been in. Granted I like playing as Yoshi. Plus I think that Zelda has a ton of unique moves that could potentially make a great character that doesn't totally suck in a future smash bros. game! :rotfl:

Plus Pit is just a terribly designed character IMO in Brawl. He's just a campy little hoe! :mad: Oh, and Pit mains are in general terrible and annoying at everything ever. :facepalm:

Mewtwo as DLC in Brawl would be more than okay by me. :laugh:
:013: :005: :005: :020: :009: :014: :022: :009: :019: :009:

He's awesome. ;)

Also, sorry that the spaces there didn't quite work. for reference, the first word's last letter is raticate. :)

WOW, hey auto, nice to see you here man! ^.^

One thing i've never understood. What exactly does DLC mean?

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
They're disposable in the same way Kirby, Pikachu and DK were considered disposable in Melee.
They were? My god... I thought ever since the first those three were no-brainers.

Also, I agree about Pit. Good thing he may likely be reworked considering he has been given a 3D game that has a lot of fighting that can reworked into SSB4. He may even be quite the interesting addition among the veterans if that is the case.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
They're disposable in the same way Kirby, Pikachu and DK were considered disposable in Melee.
I dunno, Donkey Kong was pretty popular for a while, especially when it was found out that he had about an even match up with the space animals.

Plus Pikachu and Donkey Kong just "click" in Melee, even if they are just average. I'd say about 75% of the Melee roster clicks at least a little bit.

Kirby in Melee was disposable, but at least he had that suicide combo! :chuckle: Still, Kirby in Smash 64 is enough reason to keep Kirby in smash. :shades:
I think characters should NOT be included separately. They need to be bundled together. Besides, doesn't "Forgotten Warriors" sound rather appealing of a package? As for new characters, I question how likely that is. While I can see balance updates being done, especially if Black and White 2 is any indication, I wonder if any characters besides those four would be added. Of course, this really depends on how long they want Smash 4 to last.
This is the how it should be IMO. Especially the first part.

Package characters as a whole, rather than individually, just makes more sense. While some may not like this character or that character, a price of say $4 per character or less (ie: it would be a $12 total for 4 characters) would entice them to buy it.

On the business side of things, people in general tend to buy bundled DLC more than individual DLC. Continuing on the business side, release the DLC characters within the 1st 3 months to maximize profits. Statistics show that most DLC is bought for a game within the 1st 3 months of the game's release.

Also, make sure they are much more balanced than characters that came with the game. The quality should be higher now that they have had more time.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Kuma
Of course Sony instigated this. Sony and Microsoft have been in a 3rd party exclusive content war since at least 2005. :laugh:
We finna get Birdo as a playable character in New Super Mario Bros. 2, y'all

Heard it here first
I would not mind that at all, along with Wart, Bowser (let me play as him in a 2D Mario game, dang it! The Thousand Year Door was a teaser!), Bowser Jr., Kamek, Yoshi, Baby Yoshi, Baby Mario/Luigi (either separate or teaming), Wario, Toad, Miis, and/or Donkey Kong/Cranky Kong would all be great options IMO. :shades: :cool: :smirk:
Ya'll think Sakurai and Co. will have a trailer for E3 this year?

Smooth Criminal
If they do, it will be very short. If they don't, expect one this fall. And if it is in fall, expect it at Nintendo World (if that happens this year; I'm unsure as to whether it will or won't).

Smooth knight1 :shades:
Apparently, there are some people that think both K. Rool and Dixie Kong won't get in due to them basically being relegated to Paon's games and outsourced spinoffs since DK64.

Is there anyone in this topic that thinks the same way?
LOL that is amongst the stupidest opinions I've ever heard. Donkey Kong since DKC has been "outsourced" to a Western developer. Well, at least when the series is running strong. The series just sold more copies in 1 game than twice what the entire Fire Emblem series has sold with 13 games.

If we were to hold this logic to be true, more than half of the franchises in smash wouldn't get characters. That and we'd have like 27 Mario characters with that roster! :chuckle:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@John
Releasing DLC surely can't be that simple. If you release DLC a couple of months, say six, and the DLC is new characters in a fighting game, that's gonna look mighty damn appealing as it just reignited some of the lost interest in the game. Also, bundles work better for developers as that means less fees to pay to get the content online which also explains why Skullgirls hasn't released any patches or DLC yet.

You know, Nintendo's competed for that stuff too, but I suppose being exclusive on one console that the other two trying to get some extra stuff before the other.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Kuma
Still, Capcom lied about various things, including stuff about the online that Mortal Kombat had done, as well as hiding the 12 characters on the disc. Oh, and they got several people on youtube and other sites banned for including videos of Xbox 360 consoles playing said game. That's terrible. You don't go after you fans. That's why Capcom's rating on the Better Business Bureau site went down from an A- to a C in a few weeks. Fans complained about that crap, and for good reason.

As for bundles, I agree that it does ignite more reaction. Still, releasing it say 3 months after the release would generate more earnings. If you were to wait 6 months, you would need to campaign for it a lot and either have more DLC content in that bundle, or more DLC to follow. A good example of this (well, at least the former) would be GTA IV's 2 add-ons in The Lost and the Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony (which were successful 360-exclusives for a long time, were done honestly, and were worth the price IMO).

And when Nintendo competes for it, they tend to be more honest. I think honestly honesty has a lot to do with the cultural of the company. Nintendo is run by a bunch of humble guys who took pay cuts just so they wouldn't have to fire anybody. Capcom has run out some of their best people over the years. You tell me who you'd like to work for. Loyalty, honesty, and quality can't be faked by companies (for long).
You're like John. I never/hardly find I post of yours that is like at least less than 3-5 sentences o_O.
Actually the quotes are usually the longest part of my post! :laugh: Still, I try to keep each point under 4 lines, and I try to cover a lot in one post.

That and I like to space a lot! :grin: That makes everything look bigger! :shades:

I would not mind that at all, along with Wart, Bowser (let me play as him in a 2D Mario game, dang it! The Thousand Year Door was a teaser!), Bowser Jr., Kamek, Yoshi, Baby Yoshi, Baby Mario/Luigi (either separate or teaming), Wario, Toad, Miis, and/or Donkey Kong/Cranky Kong would all be great options IMO. :shades: :cool: :smirk:
The following are near or just plain impossible :

1.) Bowser - He's the main antagonist. He can't be playable.
2.) Bowser Jr - He's a Semi-antagonist/Scrappy Doo or a mini boss. He can't be playable
3.) Peach - She's suppose to be the damsel in distress. However, if the plot has absolutely nothing to do with Peach being kidnapped, it's possible
4.) Donkey Kong/Any DK character - Meh. Who knows. Maybe they're special guests
5.) Kamek - Like Jr, he's a mini boss/semi antagonist
6.) Baby Yoshi - Herp derp

The following could be playable

Mario and Luigi
Blue Toad and Yellow Toad/Toad and another Toad (Colored Toad/Toadsworth/Toadette)
Miis
Wario and Waluigi
Yoshi and Birdo
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi
Koopa and Dry Bones (???)
Honeyqueen :troll: and Rosalina

All of them would be cool though. I'm just stating those who can't be playable or aren't likely. I wonder.... What if Mario's "Friends" are actually just those miis.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am keeping my expectations low regarding New Super Mario Bros. 2. I think the most likely scenario is that only Mario and Luigi are playable. The second most likely scenario is that Mii and Toad are also playable. The third most likely scenario is that Yoshi is playable only in certain levels like in NSMBWii. Any more playable characters beyond Mario, Luigi, Toad, Yoshi, and Mii seem like a pipe dream.

:phone:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I am keeping my expectations low regarding New Super Mario Bros. 2. I think the most likely scenario is that only Mario and Luigi are playable. The second most likely scenario is that Mii and Toad are also playable. The third most likely scenario is that Yoshi is playable only in certain levels like in NSMBWii. Any more playable characters beyond Mario, Luigi, Toad, Yoshi, and Mii seem like a pipe dream.

Then all of the sudden, Geno. :troll: No, I agree. Hey, I heard the normal Raccoon tail is returning. Dis true?

Xhampi

Smash Lord
There's so many Racoon transformation lately (super mario 3D land, Mario Kart 7 and now this) that I expect to see Mario use it in SSB4 :
B Neutral : Fire Ball
B Up : Super Jump Punch
B Sides : Galaxy Spin
B Down : Racoon Tail or Statue Transform

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Actually, I wouldn't mind if Mario's new Up B was flying with the tail. :awesome: I also want to see the Super Leaf appearing as a new item in Smash 4.

yani

Smash Lord
I recall someone mentioning that Mario should be able to glide with his cape. I thought that was a pretty cool idea

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I find it ironic how each of the Fallen Five made some sort of new appearance since Brawl:

Dr. Mario: Had two new games (Dr. Mario Online Rx and Dr. Mario Express)
Pichu: Was basically the mascot of HeartGold and SoulSilver in the form of Notched Ear Pichu
Young Link: Ocarina of Time 3D was made.
Mewtwo: Featured on the boxart to Pokemon Conquest, and is the personal Pokemon of choice of a major character in that game.
Roy: Receivied a major re-design and became DLC for FE13.

Compare that to many other characters that people are asking for in Smash 4.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Dr. Mario: Is in Smash Bros. As Mario.

Pichu: I wouldn't quite say he was the mascot. He was just a semi-popular event Pokémon. He's no more the mascot of Gen 2 remakes than Zoroark is of 5th Gen.

Young Link: Pretty much lives on as Toon Link (in terms of being the second Link that Sakurai loves so much). Plus he goes hand in hand with OOT Adult Link, who has likely seen the end of his his run as main Link design.

Mewtwo: Plus he's had several worldwide distribution events with B&W. He's awesome.

Roy: Is also awesome. Roy's our boy.

I'd rather see characters from new series than those first three.

DISCLAIMER: Not bein' an a-hole, jus' sayin'.

And if by that last sentence you mean that people are overwhelmingly asking for older characters, then I agree, and am disappoint. I mean, the main speculative crowd is an older one that grew up sometime in the NES/SNES era (myself included), so it doesn't surprise me.

It's just aggravating that people slam their fists on the table about how certain characters are better than others because they've been in more games or their games have been around longer.

Even the popular requests for new franchises are for old characters. Saki, Isaac? Little Mac has made a recent appearance, but most new franchise choices are for older characters.

I think I'm just butthurt that Jill from Drill Dozer stands no chance.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For some bizarre reason, people (At least on IGN) are mad that Nintendo is making a new game in the NSMB series.

They blame Nintendo for releasing too many Mario games.

I find that very weird.

As long as the games don't start getting really bad, who cares?

Also it seems NSMB games come out 3 years apart in the least. That's not that close together

Dark Yoghurt

Smash Cadet
To me it's like filling the gaps between the 3D Mario's, and with all the fans out there they sell alot of 'em.
It seems like the Wii U will come bundled with a 2D Mario, I hope they don't make it a New Super Mario Bros. game (along with the style of those games)... that would be cheap, I thought NSMBMii was pretty lame, if they don't do something interesting with the graphical style and gameplay, and it's just a 2D Mario game with Mii's, I'd only forgive them if it would be packed with the console for free (like Wii Sports).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Dr. Mario: Is in Smash Bros. As Mario.

Pichu: I wouldn't quite say he was the mascot. He was just a semi-popular event Pokémon. He's no more the mascot of Gen 2 remakes than Zoroark is of 5th Gen.

Young Link: Pretty much lives on as Toon Link (in terms of being the second Link that Sakurai loves so much). Plus he goes hand in hand with OOT Adult Link, who has likely seen the end of his his run as main Link design.

Mewtwo: Plus he's had several worldwide distribution events with B&W. He's awesome.

Roy: Is also awesome. Roy's our boy.

I'd rather see characters from new series than those first three.

DISCLAIMER: Not bein' an a-hole, jus' sayin'.

And if by that last sentence you mean that people are overwhelmingly asking for older characters, then I agree, and am disappoint. I mean, the main speculative crowd is an older one that grew up sometime in the NES/SNES era (myself included), so it doesn't surprise me.

It's just aggravating that people slam their fists on the table about how certain characters are better than others because they've been in more games or their games have been around longer.

Even the popular requests for new franchises are for old characters. Saki, Isaac? Little Mac has made a recent appearance, but most new franchise choices are for older characters.

I think I'm just butthurt that Jill from Drill Dozer stands no chance.
I feel for you in that regards. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would love to see more retro characters join the fray, including that damn dog from Duck Hunt. But I also would like to see some newer characters as well, including someone from Xenoblade Chronicles, Golden Sun, Animal Crossing, and there's that new IP that Miyamoto mentioned sometime ago that's going to be released for the Wii U, so assuming that's released, that'd be a good one to represent as well. Just my opinion though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
To me it's like filling the gaps between the 3D Mario's, and with all the fans out there they sell alot of 'em.
It seems like the Wii U will come bundled with a 2D Mario, I hope they don't make it a New Super Mario Bros. game (along with the style of those games)... that would be cheap, I thought NSMBMii was pretty lame, if they don't do something interesting with the graphical style and gameplay, and it's just a 2D Mario game with Mii's, I'd only forgive them if it would be packed with the console for free (like Wii Sports).
I'm 100% certain the Mario game IS New Super Mario Bros. Mii

Especially since they've revealed more screen shots of it recently with new features

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It's hardly surprising. I mean, it took several years of campaigning by fans to get Nintendo to release Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. I'm guessing NoJ figured it wouldn't sell very well in the U.S., which is their only reasons for not releasing Xenoblade and Last Story to begin with. Who knows?

vicgur

Smash Ace
I loved the NSMB games. For me, it was almost as adctive and challenging as the old Super Mario Bros. games. I love how it's like the oldschool game, but with some little cool innovations.

But I do think a New Super Mario World would be a million times better. I want to explore like I did in my old SNES days, taking my Yoshi EVERYWHERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom