• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Except I don't always win, and you know it.
Now it's your turn. :p

...Not really. There's a delay among all of his moves when activated. And memorizing each move is not easy either. He goes auto-move once activated, and you have no control over him.
Playable characters normally have percentage. Master Hand has no blowback.

Come again, sir.

The hell is all them Unown symbols for, this ain't Pokemon: The Movie 3

:phone:
:201h::201a::201t::201e::201r::201s: :201h::201a::201t::201i::201n:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Super Smash Brothers. is not a Nintendo-influenced game. It's still a Nintendo game. They receive guests that have influenced Nintendo. They do not get the entire cast in such a way, nor is that the thought process that Sakurai keeps in mind when formulating an entire roster. Snake had to be begged for, and Sonic barely made the cut, being the only character added late in the game. Also, saying it is a Nintendo-influence game doesn't really disable my point about Master Chief, Cloud, and Glados. If it is truly as you say it, characters from all consoles including the PC must be considered. After all, it is merely Nintendo-influenced, right? And yet, third party characters from other series' beyond Smash Brothers doesn't really aid the point of having a SSB originated character in, they are two separate things.
Sonic nor Snake really influenced Nintendo. Especially not Snake. Sonic... if any at all. MegaMan influenced Nintendo, but the other two are just random third party character games.

No, I ignore your "Third party from series not on Nintendo" because it's nothing but a crappy strawman. No duh, it has to have a Nintendo appearance to appear on a game ON Nintendo. That's not a big deal.

There's also no problems with a Smash originated character whatsoever. They were there since Master Hand, who, as said before, has a full moveset and can be playable. I'm sure if he was not ever meant to possibly be playable, he wouldn't have any moves that you could use. It's just be computer choosing options. The fact that he had a moveset like every other playable character just proves he's a full character.

It still isn't the same thing. This is a game, even irrespective of their company origin, built upon the concept of icons fighting each other. There are no icon for SSB because the iconic image of the games themselves are the collection of other icons. Of course, it makes its own identity by necessity with things like the Master Hand, but he can't legitimately be a character, and he is not desired as such. The only one that can work is Tabuu, and does he seem fitting among the cast of icons gathered elsewhere from franchises? Sakurai worries a lot about selecting the right characters that fit together, I'm not so sure he'd be willing to do that.
We've been over this before; Smash originals are a legitimate character already. Likewise, it's just characters in a video game anyway. Giga Bowser is a full character with pure legitimacy, and is not an Icon outside of Smash. He may have a time limit, but that's... it. Which is not a good argument to say he's not a full character. The only given way to say he's not is that he lacks a victory pose(s). In fact, that's only legitimate justification I've seen thus far.

But anyways, if there were to be an OC, I wouldn't ***** about it, I'd accept it and be happy because I'll pretty much take whatever is handed to me (besides, I'd probably be just like, "Welp, this is the WTF character". But in theory, it doesn't seem right. The identity of SSB to me, and the same goes for many fans, is the Nintendo franchises (or Nintendo-influenced) coming together.
You misread what I said about Nintendo-Influenced. It's stuff from Nintendo or has appeared on Nintendo.

Likewise, Nintendo All-Stars does not exist anymore, so really, the only thing that's actually required to get in since Brawl is originated from a video game(R.O.B. is a notable exception but he actually is a pure Nintendo product and was more or less a history lesson) and has a Nintendo appearance. Speaking of that robot, he also happened to have had a Nintendo appearance in MK:DS. Which he probably wouldn't have appeared without it.

@GY: Ah, slightly forgot. He has percentage in the Race to the Finish level.

D

Deleted member

Legitimate characters are characters you legitmately play as legitmately without the use of glitches or hacks.

Again, many fighting games have bosses that act like characters that are not playable.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The Unknown thing was clever the first time, but not so much anymore.

Anyways, for you sales people. Here:
- some retailers are nearly sold out
- some retailers are worried they won't get a stock replenishment by the Golden Week holiday

“We’ve heard that others have been experiencing a scarcity of units, so we’ve added more, but still 90% of it was sold out.”

“60% sold out and it’s looking good.”
- selling even better at other retailers, for a total of 80% sellthrough

“Because of rain, sales weren’t too great. But of the new games, Fire Emblem sold the best. Although, most of the people who bought it were old guys, lol. Personally, I was expecting great things of Code of Princess, but it got completely eaten up by Fire Emblem, so I thought that was a bit of a shame. Why are Nintendo games so cheap despite being high quality? It’s no wonder the others don’t sell when Nintendo’s games are 1,000 yen cheaper. However, it’s a game directed at core gamers, so who knows how long it’ll sell for. I don’t think it’ll be a game with lots of stamina like the Mario games, so I can only hope that the numbers will continue to grow for at least next week or the week after that.”

“First thing in the morning, it’s 3DS Fire Emblem on parade. I feel like nothing else was sold at all. It’s all Fire Emblem. Rare for a Nintendo title, they released commercials and everything, so a crowd of people came in on the release date. “The customers’ ages dropped, so from dusk onward it was middle/high school students on their way back from school. I completely thought that the only people buying this would be those in their mid-thirties, so I was let down, but in a good way.”
I have to wonder how many they actually shipped. But it's interesting non the less.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Megaman influenced Nintendo? I enjoy Megaman and all, but that might be a stretch... The only third party series I am even willing to go that far with is Dragon Quest, but even than that is predominantly centered around Japan. I guess a case could be made for Pacman as well, but the circumstances are a little different there.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Different definition here.

I call Legitimate one that has a full moveset and can be playable. Giga Bowser is a legitimate character by far.

Depending whether Master Hand was meant to be playable or not(once again, this is unknown, there's really no way to say for sure), he could count towards it.

@Starphoenix: Yeah, he pretty much influenced not only another Nintendo game, but other similar adventuring games. He was the major factor in Side-Scrolling Adventure-Shooters.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
To hard to decide on what third serie character I will bet...

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Starphoenix: Yeah, he pretty much influenced not only another Nintendo game, but other similar adventuring games. He was the major factor in Side-Scrolling Adventure-Shooters.
Assuming you are referring to Metroid and Megaman, Metroid preceded Megaman. The only time where there has been any cross company influence is a loosely held, speculative influence Custom Robo had on the Megaman Battle Network series.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I am not arguing that an OC cannot be in, I am saying that they shouldn't and will likely not be in as a full-on character, and instead there should be a character added on one of the existing franchises or a new rep. Those are what my points are towards. It would be foolish to try and dictate what Sakurai would or wouldn't do with Gnosticism.

As for my "strawman", I was correcting you on the way you were wording it. The way you were saying it was very poor.

D

Deleted member

Primid as an OC would be ok to me, seeing as they kind of had a moveset, especially if you combine the various weapons.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Since E3 is creeping ever closer, I'd like to get a feel for this. How many people think we'll get anything at all on Smash 4 this year at E3? If so, what?

To express what I'm expecting as an inequality:

A name and a mention <_ My expectations <_ A cinematic teaser trailer that teases perhaps a couple of newcomers

Underscores used for "equal to."

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I've been waiting for days to see if anybody was going to notice this, but as far as I know no one has.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a traditional side-scrolling adventure game featuring Mario, Luigi and loads of other favorite characters from the popular Mario series. The game was created specifically as a pick-up-and-play experience that can be instantly enjoyed by players of all skill levels on the Nintendo 3DS system. The game will launch across North America in August.
Anybody want to take some guesses? I know I'm opening Pandora's Box because I know what will ensue, but still, it's all we've got right now to keep entertained without being derpy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Starphoenix: I know it did. But MegaMan still helped.

Re: New Super Mario Bros. 2: ...Hmm. I'm guessing no Peach again, so Daisy, Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Waluigi, Koopa Troopa(or a specific one), other various Paper Mario originated characters... um, let's see... maybe some Mario Party only characters, and, of course Main Toad and Toadette.

@Heel: Why shouldn't they? They're originated on a Nintendo system. My only preference is that we wait till the next game to make them playable. And once again, Giga Bowser is still fully playable. While it's for a short while, it doesn't make him less of a legit full character. If you mean you can select them and start with them, fair enough.

You could've just said "Well, if they're a character with a Nintendo appearance" instead. Bringing up examples that you know I especially would not have doesn't do anything. I've always been a firm believer in a Nintendo appearance requirement and never showed otherwise.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@Star I noticed that, as well. I don't know what that means, and I'm cautious to even speculate. Maybe they will do a SMB2-ish approach with the characters. Playable Peach?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Starphoenix: I know it did. But MegaMan still helped.
How? If any third party series had any influence on Metroid you'd be better off saying Castlevania.

@Star I noticed that, as well. I don't know what that means, and I'm cautious to even speculate. Maybe they will do a SMB2-ish approach with the characters. Playable Peach?
Well, I'm sure we will have Toad back. What has me curious is if a certain purple plague will finally break the glass ceiling. Goodness the dark age that would befall the Smash Bros community if this happens...

Shove it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's nice to see that FE13 is selling well. That gives me a lot of hope for a localization.

@Star: I think that was brought up before, but whatever. Other than Toad and the possibility of online multiplayer I don't know what to think.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I've been waiting for days to see if anybody was going to notice this, but as far as I know no one has.

Anybody want to take some guesses? I know I'm opening Pandora's Box because I know what will ensue, but still, it's all we've got right now to keep entertained without being derpy.
Geno and Shy Guy. :D

Edit: Waluigi... that's a great idea. ^_^ Time for him to shine! For once!

@Heel: Why shouldn't they? They're originated on a Nintendo system. My only preference is that we wait till the next game to make them playable. And once again, Giga Bowser is still fully playable. While it's for a short while, it doesn't make him less of a legit full character. If you mean you can select them and start with them, fair enough.
Like I've been saying, it is my view of the essence of Smash Brothers. While I think Sakurai feels the same way, I can't say for certain he does. And yeah, Giga Bowser doesn't fit the definition of what I am speaking about, Giga himself isn't playing as a character. He pops up with a SSB item briefly, you cannot select to use him let alone use him at all unless there are items on. So yes, I mean straight up characters on the roster. Retro Nintendo characters and characters from the franchises are easier to justify and fit more, that is it. As I've said before and acknowledged, one could get in, and I'd accept it through thinking of it as a WTF character. That is the kind of vibe it'd give to me, personally.

You could've just said "Well, if they're a character with a Nintendo appearance" instead. Bringing up examples that you know I especially would not have doesn't do anything. I've always been a firm believer in a Nintendo appearance requirement and never showed otherwise.
I know, my apologies on pushing that part too far. I don't think anyone who posts here has those kind of... "passions". <__< >__> <__<

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That was much too short a nap. I had dreams of debating with Hyper dancing through my head so I'm back. lol

Actually, in 64, all of his moves used the regular B, A, and the Control Stick. He even has a shield(which gets glitchy). However, if you try to play as him, the game glitches up for many reasons. So I'm not so sure that's true and it was more Sakurai couldn't get him to play right(which he has glitches if not on Final Destination). So he kept him CPU only. As for Giant Donkey Kong, Metal Mario, and the Polygons... as well as the Hat Kirbies(they're not the same as Kirby, they have a Permanent B move, although that's just programmed that way) were not meant to be playable either, under this theory. My problem is that they have actual playable data in the Debug Mode, meaning they can be playable. The thing is, if MH couldn't be playable, why not make the other bosses/mooks CPU only? It makes sense, IMO.

Long story short, Master Hand is the only character to not be a clone or have a clone. I believe he was meant to be playable, but it didn't work out like planned. This doesn't automatically apply to Melee or Brawl. Melee, possibly the same thing. Brawl, yeah, no.
Well as he wasn't a character selectable without an cheats/extra devices, I think most would not count him as a playable character. Plus, if Sakurai really had the intent to make Master Hand a playable character like the others, he had both Melee and Brawl to add him in (even in one mode) but he is not playable in any one them, which leads me to classify him as NPC boss.

Primid, as said before, would make an excellent and original character. Could also be customizable. But if we can customize characters(and I don't mean a Mii), we'd be making an original character too. I really doubt Sakurai cares if they're an OC or not, so the intent part is unfounded. Not saying you're wrong for thinking this, of course.
Just because they could make for a decent playable character, doesn't mean they should. However, this is mostly personal preference, as I can't tell you you're "wrong" for thinking Primid would work as a character.

And the potential customizability of a character wouldn't dictate if they were an original character or not. A primid with a set moveset is an original character. A primid with a customizable moveset is an original character. Mario with a set moveset isn't an OC, Mario with a customizable moveset still isn't an OC.

You're right that we don't know Sakurai's opinion on OCs, but while I think he would view a character such as Toon Sheik as not an OC, due to regular Sheik already existing, the fact that he has never made mention of a character built from the ground up (such as a primid) to only be featured in smash makes me think that he feels they have little place compared to pre-existing characters.

But if they were? Would you make somebody else play them to get all of Classic Mode's Trophies?
Like I said a couple pages back, I would play Classic and All-Star and anything else needed to unlock trophies, but other than that I would not play with them. This is just personal though, as others might love them and want to main them.

I'd still say Giga Bowser proves this whole thing wrong, anyway.
I think Giga Bowser and Roy are different situations because as far as we know, Giga Bowser was just created solely to be a boss in Melee, and doesn't actually relate to the Mario series outside of Smash at all.

Roy was created as the protagonist of FE6 first and foremost, and then was placed in Melee as marketing. He was never created solely to be a character in Smash.

Exactly. It would be cool to see Toon Sheik. The original bosses besides the Hands slightly annoyed me since they weren't even an OC Clone.(I like those, since they can be used for later games) IMO.
It would be interesting to see Toon Sheik in smash and to also see if she was later implemented in future Zelda games, and I'm sure Sakurai would design her well (although she would most likely just be a Sheik clone), but I would still prefer that she not be in, as she would be a playable character created just to be in Smash.

I'm sure others will disagree with me on this, and I'm not trying to convince anybody to start rejecting the notion of a Toon Sheik.

To correct the last sentence, he's not a full character in Brawl. He's a full one in Melee. ...And he's technically still a full character. He just has a time limit, instead.
In Melee he is indeed his own character, a non-playable boss character. In Brawl he is a part of the Bowser character, he was never referred to as a full character by Sakurai, someone who counts Pokemon Trainer as 3 characters (which is understandable). He has data enough to be a full character (with only a few discrepancies between himself and a real full character), but is just a part of the full character of Bowser.

Oh, it's not about winning here. I'm having fun debating with a person. You're being rational here and not sprouting off purposely false information to get what you want. :)
Thanks! I'm having fun too! I try to be as rational as I can, but things are just so much easier to say before I try and write them down! :laugh:

She ;)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
"Loads" seem to give the impression that there will be quite a few. In the Mario community "favorite characters" really can mean anything. You can wind up with Peach, or Shy Guy; never know quite what will happen. I'm thinking we will probably see Peach and Toad playable as kind of a throwback to SMB2. Outside of that, whatever else happens will be interesting to see. I'm just afraid of the "Mario War".

Geno and Shy Guy. :D

Edit: Waluigi... that's a great idea. ^_^ Time for him to shine! For once!
Well there is that rumor about Nintendo bringing back licenses for "old Mario characters" or whatever it was. :p

D

Deleted member

They should make 2 player partnerships :troll:
Mario and Luigi
Wario and Waluigi
Peach and Daisy
Yellow Toad and Blue Toad :troll:
And if they must.... Geno and Mallow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom