• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As the game that generates probably the most hype of any game Nintendo could announce, I think it would be in the companies best interest to at least have a short CG trailer. Something that doesn't necessarily need any gameplay but reveals at least one or two newcomers. Add the name and a logo, and that's what I expect.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Like I've been saying, it is my view of the essence of Smash Brothers. While I think Sakurai feels the same way, I can't say for certain he does. And yeah, Giga Bowser doesn't fit the definition of what I am speaking about, Giga himself isn't playing as a character. He pops up with a SSB item briefly, you cannot select to use him let alone use him at all unless there are items on. So yes, I mean straight up characters on the roster. Retro Nintendo characters and characters from the franchises are easier to justify and fit more, that is it. As I've said before and acknowledged, one could get in, and I'd accept it through thinking of it as a WTF character. That is the kind of vibe it'd give to me, personally.
Ah, okay. I get what you mean now. I'd like to be able to choose him separately too. Which is why we've spoken of Boss Mode before.

It appears you got my point too, so we don't need to do this anymore. :p

I know, my apologies on pushing that part too far. I don't think anyone who posts here has those kind of... "passions". <__< >__> <__<
It's fine. Apology accepted. :)

ChaosKid said:
Well as he wasn't a character selectable without an cheats/extra devices, I think most would not count him as a playable character. Plus, if Sakurai really had the intent to make Master Hand a playable character like the others, he had both Melee and Brawl to add him in (even in one mode) but he is not playable in any one them, which leads me to classify him as NPC boss.
Remember, intent does not mean he kept it. It could've only been in 64. And it didn't work. So he decided to let him be the main boss. Either way, it's a hypothetical. The only thing I'm saying is that he, unlike some bosses, had a full moveset as is. Including the only one with Forward B, so that does say something. In Melee, he used the D-Pad and other Face Buttons to move. I have no idea how he works in Brawl, you'd have to ask the hackers that. XD

Just because they could make for a decent playable character, doesn't mean they should. However, this is mostly personal preference, as I can't tell you you're "wrong" for thinking Primid would work as a character.
Fair enough. I like him because he's the only one that actually is original enough and has shown moves beyond being a clone. Likewise, he's not just another guy like the Fighting [Character] Teams anyway. He's pretty much the prime candidate for an OC playable besides Master Hand and Crazy Hand, really.

And the potential customizability of a character wouldn't dictate if they were an original character or not. A Primid with a set moveset is an original character. A Primid with a customizable moveset is an original character. Mario with a set moveset isn't an OC, Mario with a customizable moveset still isn't an OC.
Yes, I meant with Primid, of course. Or any Alloy/Polygon/Wire Frame. A Mii is for the mot part an OC Stand In anyway.

You're right that we don't know Sakurai's opinion on OCs, but while I think he would view a character such as Toon Sheik as not an OC, due to regular Sheik already existing, the fact that he has never made mention of a character built from the ground up (such as a primid) to only be featured in smash makes me think that he feels they have little place compared to pre-existing characters.
Well, the fact he thought about making her means he doesn't care about OC's as much as some people do. He may not care at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Tetra or Knight Armor Zelda(if you will) isn't a better choice. But that doesn't mean Toon Sheik is really a bad choice at all. I agree not favored. I would've had all of them in Brawl if we could.

Like I said a couple pages back, I would play Classic and All-Star and anything else needed to unlock trophies, but other than that I would not play with them. This is just personal though, as others might love them and want to main them.
Well, depending what happens, you may like 'em enough to main 'em. But yeah, I understand.

I think Giga Bowser and Roy are different situations because as far as we know, Giga Bowser was just created solely to be a boss in Melee, and doesn't actually relate to the Mario series outside of Smash at all.
My point was they both became playable characters later on and originated in Smash, regardless of "what series they rep".

Roy was created as the protagonist of FE6 first and foremost, and then was placed in Melee as marketing. He was never created solely to be a character in Smash.
True.

It would be interesting to see Toon Sheik in smash and to also see if she was later implemented in future Zelda games, and I'm sure Sakurai would design her well (although she would most likely just be a Sheik clone), but I would still prefer that she not be in, as she would be a playable character created just to be in Smash.

I'm sure others will disagree with me on this, and I'm not trying to convince anybody to start rejecting the notion of a Toon Sheik.
Eh, still don't see an issue regardless. But opinions. I respect yours, of course.

In Melee he is indeed his own character, a non-playable boss character. In Brawl he is a part of the Bowser character, he was never referred to as a full character by Sakurai, someone who counts Pokemon Trainer as 3 characters (which is understandable). He has data enough to be a full character (with only a few discrepancies between himself and a real full character), but is just a part of the full character of Bowser.
Actually, do we know the full extent of the data? As I said before, the lack of a "choose to play as" and a "Victory screen" may be grounds for not being a PC. However, Sakura also never said he wasn't a full character, to be fair.

Thanks! I'm having fun too! I try to be as rational as I can, but things are just so much easier to say before I try and write them down!
Never hurts to take your time. ;)

My bad.

...That took a while to reply. XD

I've been waiting for days to see if anybody was going to notice this, but as far as I know no one has.

Anybody want to take some guesses? I know I'm opening Pandora's Box because I know what will ensue, but still, it's all we've got right now to keep entertained without being derpy.
aopfjasel;gvkdvjdsvksl;vkdskvl;sdkv;kdv;skdvksd

Toad's probably in the game, right?

So... MAYBE, Waluigi and Wario will become playable. And also Peach and Dai--- Wait a minute... Peach? Isn't she like the damsel in distress?

Well ****. I think Yoshi will finally be playable and he can ride Yoshis too :troll:. Oh and.... Umm... NSMB Mii SPECULATION

The following are likely to be characters:
Mario (You don't say?)
Luigi (Wait really?)
Blue and yellow Toad (Fuuuu---)
Mii (It's in the name)
Possibly Toad and Toadette (Hmmm)
Wario and Waluigi (POSSIBLE)
Peach and Daisy (Not really possible since Peach is the ***** of the game)
Yoshi and Birdo (YOSHIZ RIDING YOSHIZ)
Geno and Mallow (Really now?)
Ya'll think Sakurai and Co. will have a trailer for E3 this year?

Smooth Criminal
I don't think so BUT maybe they'll just announce their progress.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It was this
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=175607

Many people just assumed they were talking about Geno and Mallow though.
Well it's false either way. lol

Ya'll think Sakurai and Co. will have a trailer for E3 this year?

Smooth Criminal
I wouldn't count on it. I doubt Sakurai has even finalized his roster let alone made any significant progress in three months to be able to show at E3, cinematics or not. The only possible way would be if Nintendo separately began working on a trailer before Sakurai even started full time on the project. Since that is not very likely, I would lower your expectations. The best time will be at Nintendo's Fall Summit towards the end of the year. It makes perfect sense from both a developmental and business perspective. E3 is just too early.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If Sakurai could work with a smaller team and make Melee in 10 months, he can have a couple of characters ready in 3. Even then, just a CG trailer would suffice to generate the hype.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
With all of the online conferences and many other ones happening later in the year I wouldn't be surprised if it was not announced at E3. I'm positive it won't be announced until we get some solid Wii U info though.

I admit that announcing the game as early as it was announced, not to mention the need the Wii U has for it, and Sakurai's work ethic, there is a chance, I'm not putting much stock into it.

IMO:
75% Not E3
25% E3

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@HyperFalcon

You're right about Master Hand's potential moveset in Smash 64 being a possible indicator about Sakurai's intentions whether he did follow up on them or not.

It kinda makes me want to see what would happen if there was some sort of Boss Mode in SSB4.

Anyway, all this talk about playable Primids and bosses actually makes me prefer to play as Toon Sheik. So good job, Hyper, your job is done! :laugh:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It only took Sakurai 10 months to make Melee? o.O

Smooth Criminal
Correction, it was 13 and he was putting in an inhumane amount of hours of work in it a week.

If we want another example, Soul Calibur V took roughly 7-8 months. Not the best example, but it does show 4-8 characters can be "ready" in that time.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I doubt there will be anything for E3 in terms of Smash. He's working on two at the same time and there's really only been a small amount of time. Even if its just a CG trailer, there's a lot that a trailer can say about a game. If it really is something, which like I said I really doubt, it probably won't be all that much, or at least nothing that's really satisfying.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Correction, it was 13 and he was putting in an inhumane amount of hours of work in it a week.

If we want another example, Soul Calibur V took roughly 7-8 months. Not the best example, but it does show 4-8 characters can be "ready" in that time.
Playing through the Story mode of SCV and the whole bottom row of characters made me die a little inside.

The rest was alright though. Cept lack of Talim.

I wish they had had more time for that game, but I know very little of Namco's internal workings and schedule.

If Sakurai could work with a smaller team and make Melee in 10 months, he can have a couple of characters ready in 3. Even then, just a CG trailer would suffice to generate the hype.
But the bar for graphics is higher than before. Sure graphics isn't everything but they have to make the characters look good ya know. It's gonna take more than a month if Sakurai wants to make some characters already.

I agree though with the CG trailer. That would work.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm not just talking about gameplay and mechanics, I am also talking about licensing and other negotiations involved with various subsidiaries within Nintendo. It is not reasonable to expect a company to produce within three months a trailer for a game that has nothing firmly established. At least with Brawl's trailer more work had already been completed so that the trailer did not need too much to carry on for several minutes. That is probably not the case now. I understand that our fans appetites want everything now, but common sense and a basic knowledge of how development (and licensing) work will show that it is premature to expect anything shown. This is all I am trying to get across.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm not just talking about gameplay and mechanics, I am also talking about licensing and other negotiations involved with various subsidiaries within Nintendo. It is not reasonable to expect a company to produce within three months a trailer for a game that has nothing firmly established. At least with Brawl's trailer more work had already been completed so that the trailer did not need too much to carry on for several minutes. That is probably not the case now. I understand that our fans appetites want everything now, but common sense and a basic knowledge of how development (and licensing) work will show that it is premature to expect anything shown. This is all I am trying to get across.
I wonder how difficult it would be to acquire the licenses for the likes of Mario and Kirby? :p

Smooth Criminal

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
At the most, I'd just expect at the developers table for someone to ask about Smash and for some Nintendo rep to confirm that it is in development. Kinda like how Pikmin 3 was for a few years.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I wonder how difficult it would be to acquire the licenses for the likes of Mario and Kirby? :p

Smooth Criminal
Enough time that I don't think a trailer is going to be sufficient. I mean for Pete's sake just recently he said Pit "could" show up in the next Super Smash Bros game. If that does not show how early he is in the process I honestly don't know what will. lol

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Enough time that I don't think a trailer is going to be sufficient. I mean for Pete's sake just recently he said Pit "could" show up in the next Super Smash Bros game. If that does not show how early he is in the process I honestly don't know what will. lol
Kind of ambiguous, don'tcha think? :awesome:

Smooth Criminal

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well the only things I really have much left to say about are:

My point was they both became playable characters later on and originated in Smash, regardless of "what series they rep".
I guess you're right that it was the first appearance for both of them, and they are both playable in some form in the Smash series, but I think that's where the similarities end.

Actually, do we know the full extent of the data? As I said before, the lack of a "choose to play as" and a "Victory screen" may be grounds for not being a PC. However, Sakura also never said he wasn't a full character, to be fair.
I actually have no idea exactly how much data on Giga Bowser in Brawl there is, but I think just by the fact that Sakurai says that their are 39 characters in Brawl and not giving Giga Bowser his own character page pretty much proves he does not think of him as a full character (same with Wario-Man and Super Sonic)

Phew. I'm tired now, lol.

Pompadour

I feel like the only reason why I go to this thread is either for the lulz, because I'm bored (Like right now) or it's because of Star's posts tbh. I reeeeally want to play Skyward Sword right now but my Wii isn't working.

Star, can you support Toad like, SUPER support because I know that one or a LOT of the characters you support heavily ends up in the high tier/broken tier (Olimar is high tier and don't get me started with Meta Knight)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well the only things I really have much left to say about are:

I guess you're right that it was the first appearance for both of them, and they are both playable in some form in the Smash series, but I think that's where the similarities end.
That's actually what I was trying to say. One's an OC, and one is still a Fire Emblem char. Heh.

I actually have no idea exactly how much data on Giga Bowser in Brawl there is, but I think just by the fact that Sakurai says that their are 39 characters in Brawl and not giving Giga Bowser his own character page pretty much proves he does not think of him as a full character (same with Wario-Man and Super Sonic)

Phew. I'm tired now, lol.
True. But like I said, that's just a matter of opinion on our end. I find anybody who has their own moveset, movement, etc. a full character. To me, I consider Giga Bowser like Zero Suit Samus.

Have a good night, okay? :)

yani

Smash Lord
There WILL be mentions of Smash at e3. Even if it's "Hi I'm Sakurai gtg Smash 4 lolbai". It's the wisest move for Nintendo if they want Wii-U hype.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think he just said this because while we all know that Pit will show up in SSB4, developers never try to commit to announcing something which might change later in development, as I'm pretty sure most of the veterans Sakurai no doubt wants to bring back, that don't have complicated legal details are already on his confirmed list.
(Not that Pit might not appear, just that maybe his licensing isnt 100% yet)

About licensing, I figure the easiest would be characters that are wholly owned by Nintendo (Mario, Link, Samus, Pit, DK, Fox, etc.), then characters from second-party developers (Pokemon, Kirby (or is HAL 1st now?), Golden Sun, Starfy, S&P) and finally third party characters. I'm guessing the licensing for 1st party characters Sakurai knows he's going to use are done now. (Not that he knows all the 1st party characters he's going to use yet)

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Star, can you support Toad like, SUPER support because I know that one or a LOT of the characters you support heavily ends up in the high tier/broken tier (Olimar is high tier and don't get me started with Meta Knight)
Baha Metaknight and Olimar were my two favorites during the wait for SSBB. XD Me and Star share this power, interesting. GHIRAHIM!!! *sends his magical broken tier SSB powers while doing the dance*

Also, it took almost a year before we got our first trailer for Brawl. Like I've been saying, don't expect anything other than a logo and to someone saying to wait patiently as they work hard on the next installment.

[glow]I'm testing something here

[pdf[pdlfp[dlv[dlvd[vsdgfdhfhjgjgj

-------------------------

I'm not expecting anything but some announcements regarding the game. I guess there won't be a CG trailer[/glow] :(

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think he just said this because while we all know that Pit will show up in SSB4, developers never try to commit to announcing something which might change later in development, as I'm pretty sure most of the veterans Sakurai no doubt wants to bring back, that don't have complicated legal details are already on his confirmed list.

About licensing, I figure the easiest would be characters that are wholly owned by Nintendo (Mario, Link, Samus, Pit, DK, Fox, etc.), then characters from second-party developers (Pokemon, Kirby (or is HAL 1st now?), Golden Sun, Starfy, S&P) and finally third party characters. I'm guessing the licensing for 1st party characters Sakurai knows he's going to use are done now. (Not that he knows all the 1st party characters he's going to use yet)
The point is the dude is still early into the project. Even content wholly owned by Nintendo still take time. There are actual negotiations that are required to take place. When you have two separate entities both working off of their own schedules it can take some time. It is not like Sakurai just shoots some developer a text and says "hey, can I use King K. Rool in the next game?" no, there is more to it than that. Crossover games are not easily developed projects by any means. Even what would seem to be simple is much more involved than I think anyone else realizes.

If you need some proof of that just do a little bit of research into old articles from Sakurai and other developers of cross over titles. Heck, even from a typical business perspective cross promotion and cross company licensing are lengthy even on the smallest scale.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The point is the dude is still early into the project. Even content wholly owned by Nintendo still take time. There are actual negotiations that are required to take place. When you have two separate entities both working off of their own schedules it can take some time. It is not like Sakurai just shoots some developer a text and says "hey, can I use King K. Rool in the next game?" no, there is more to it than that. Crossover games are not easily developed projects by any means. Even what would seem to be simple is much more involved than I think anyone else realizes.

If you need some proof of that just do a little bit of research into old articles from Sakurai and other developers of cross over titles. Heck, even from a typical business perspective cross promotion and cross company licensing are lengthy even on the smallest scale.
I'm not trying to say it's just a matter of Sakurai asking if he can use a character, I'm just speculating that characters 100% owned by Nintendo are easier to license than characters partly or wholly owned by Nintendo's subsidiaries and partners. I mean, it won't work like this with every character, but overall, I believe 1st party characters would be easier to license.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I am disappoint, Tri-Hy
Meh, that's just the hunch I've been feeling and felt like getting off my chest. Doesn't mean anything. "shrugs"

Sometimes it just feels better to give yourself a number rather then just saying maybe, maybe not.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Low key though, it doesn't really bothers me that much at all, it just sounds like something SSBF would do lol (speaking of which, I wonder how he's doing?)

:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Apparently, there are some people that think both K. Rool and Dixie Kong won't get in due to them basically being relegated to Paon's games and outsourced spinoffs since DK64.

Is there anyone in this topic that thinks the same way?

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that, but I'm a vehement believer that nobody can predict more than a quarter of the twists and turns of Smash Bros. development.

I mean, I expect one or the other, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show up. Sakurai is one of the most cryptic f*cking people ever.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wonder if Broserker's test looks especially [glow]S[/glow]trong when I do it.

Nope. Weird.

Also Sakurai's not that cryptic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom