• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Ridley vs. Spyro in the fight of purple dragons. :troll:

GTG for now. I'll be on to check what is happening later.

D

Deleted member

If anyone has seen my last post, just want people to know that I edited it to where it reflects more of my opinion today and less of the drama it caused.

I just want to say that I am deeply sorry for what I said. There was clearly other ways I could have portrayed it, but I did it out of irrationality and was overly emotional about it.

Back then, I was a depressed person. My mind was all about Smash 4 and getting Victini in Smash 4 to prevent Zoroark's inclusion and mentally, it swallowed me up. I felt like a failure and worried every day that my dream of being myself would never be accomplished.

Since I left this thread a couple of months ago, my life has been changing. In February, around the time I left, I saw Schindler's List (my grandmother bought me the DVD). The one thing I saw in Oskar Schindler that I could learn from was that no matter how far you fall morally, anyone can be a hero and anyone can change their life. I would argue that this is one of the very best movies ever to be created and it has been influential to changing me for the better.

I've also been getting very much into movies recently. One fan base I'm currently involved in is An American Tail and I love both An American Tail and An American Tail: Fievel Goes West. The fan base is small, but I love being around it. The people are respectful, polite, and don't constantly fight with each other. What I'm saying is this; we should be more like them and less like what we are now.

Starphoenix here has it down perfectly...
Anyways, the truth is I sense elitism coming from this board. The way we treat Diddy, it is not cool. The solution is available yet we choose not to utilize it. Instead we berate him and harass him. True he is annoying, but I still catch myself remembering that there is a human at the end of the username and avatar. Perhaps my conviction is not shared among you, probably so, but just take a step back and evaluate everything.

In the discussion of who is the weakest I'd say we all are. Much of our lives are invested in one tiny, little electronic message board. Our lives bleed from our fingertips into the keys we touch. For what? Of all things in this universe a video game. Even one year’s off with no certainty of release. What is it, truly, that drives us then when we so readily admit out own distaste for everything about this board? Quite simply this drive is birthed out of a common need all men share. Community, friendship, and belonging. When we as people feel we are lacking in our lives our eyes fix themselves on the other avenues to achieve that desire. Strip back the facades and look at things for what they are. Half of us operate in some automate, catatonic state where our responses are the result of habit than contribution. The other half traipse around like scholars and select members of an ivory tower club that look down on the poor, uneducated peons beneath us. Is this not silly? Would this not be absurd in any other facet of life? For a game?

I do not know, I am appealing more to the human behind the screen and less to the username and avatar. You can sometimes see the hearts of people behind a computer. Masks we wear all day are removed online. A world where people need not be responsible for the things we say. Cruelty that would be unbecoming in most real circles are acceptable daily practices on the internet. Words. Countless words carried by the constant streams of information and life. Perhaps it is true what they say. Technology is rewiring us all. We slowly become as cold and as lifeless as the computers we touch.

Just the musings of a little bird. I think I will fly away for a season. Later everyone. Hopefully this will answer SSBF's question in a roundabout, rhapsodic kind of way.
This is one of the best post on the Internet because what he's saying is true. We go too much into the game and it eventually consumes us, like it did me. And eventually, if the vicious behavior most of us exhibit on those who disagree with us continues, it will be the undoing of our fan base. I ask that everyone, including myself, keep this in mind.

Just before anyone ask, my opinions on characters have changed a lot and many of those changes will be surprising.

Probably the biggest surprise is that I no longer support Victini's inclusion for SSB4. I've been thinking about why I supported Victini and the reason was so that Zoroark doesn't get in. That's it. I wasn't too concern about how it played, I just wanted to find a way to avoid Zoroark getting a spot and Victini seemed to be someone that I felt challenged it. Turns out with the recent event and Zoroark being released in the wild makes him the established mascot of this gen that there is no real competition for Zoroark to worry about this gen. As I fully expect Mewtwo and Lucario to return, the only thing that really concerns me about Pokemon now is this question; will Zoroark still be the mascot of the current gen by the time Smash 4 is out? If so, I have already accepted he would be in and there is nothing we could do about it (unless in the incredibly unlikely case Genesect becomes more popular than Zoroark and steals the mascot spot from him), but if 6th gen is already out (release date will most likely be late 2014), I fully expect that one instead. That being said, if having to choose between Zoroark and Victini at gunpoint, I would instantly choose Victini because I still despise Zoroark and I still like Victini.

My most wanted character has steered back to Mega Man. I have always loved Mega Man and have always wanted him to be in Smash. If he were to be in, I would immediately main him. Luckily, I feel he is very likely to show up this game and I do expect him.

Two more things. First off, I will not actively push for characters I want to see in SSB4. I've realized it was pointless and I shouldn't be changing people's opinion as I tried to do so hard when I came here. Secondly, I am going to upheld a high expectation for the roster. Now I understand people are going to say "You're setting yourself up for disappointment." and I acknowledge that, but why bother avoiding disappointment? Everyone is likely to find something that they find less than satisfying, regardless of how low they set their expectations and the roster will be no exception. I expect at least fifty-three characters (transformation included). Of course I can definitely work with less, but I don't think Sakurai is going to pull a bad roster on us.

As for other things that you see changed about my opinions on characters and Smash in general, you'll see. Hopefully, with my campaign for Victini behind me, I can finally not have to stress about something so unimportant.

BTW Starphoenix, is it possible that you could make a GIF for Leaf from Fire Emblem and the Brawl roster for SSB4 (if you have already, just tell me). Thanks.

Lastly, has Sakurai stated anything in regards to relevancy being a factor he considers in characters? I see it as a buzz word at worst and indirect in influence at best; in other words, I don't seriously consider it.

grizby2

Smash Lord
we need life shrooms to be an item in sm4sh.
"you just killed me but now i picked up a life shroom":troll:
now thats a really bad idea....
i hope they make using items uniuqe for each character.
anyone remember mewtwo + beam sword?

yani

Smash Lord
Welcome back SSBF! I'm sure you'll be glad to hear the Impa vs. Sheik has become more of a friendly rivalry now :rotfl: :sheik:

Also, inb4asage on your Victini comment :troll:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well it's nice to see that you're doing good SSBF. Good choice of movies as well. The American Tail series has always scared me a bit though. lol

That reminds me of a similar discussion we had going on in the off-topic section of the old discussion group (the one Spydr had going was closed down due his absence, SmashChu is now incharge of a new one):

The world is a crazy place.

The elitism probably comes from the fact that this is styled as a "No Girls Allowed Club" and to be allowed in, definitely can inflate people's egos. Something of which we are all guilty of as a species in general.

We all have our breaking points, and for many of us Diddy has broken them, often times on purpose. I will admit though, we are definitly being over dramatic about the whole "Impa Cancer" thing. I'm not sure if anyone else is doing this, but I like using this "elite" and private thread to get rid of some of the thoughts in my head or as I like to call anger management.

I find it funny though that you bring up internet addiction, as I recently did an essay for one of my classes on it. I will admit that I can have a bit of an addiction here as well. You do have to admit, it feels nice to express your opinion and with so many topics and going off-topic all the time, heck this thread was made for that. As for what goes on in my life is private, but I will admit that it definitely doesn't help.

Speculation is rather funny here, as most of it is all just personal opinion and reflecting on moments in your life with the games that you have come to enjoy. So that's definitely one of the reasons people come to sites like this. I bet that most of us are annoyed at Diddy as he tries to keep the topic on a character that only he likes and it has become tough for anyone to get in their own words edge wise. The thread is only as interesting as long as you feel a connection to it. For example, I myself am not a Zelda fan, so when we talk about that series in particular I usually leave and check back later. While in Mewtwo and KI discussions, I on the other hand usually become a dominate force and other people who have nothing to say leave and also come back later.
Well it's nice to see you reach the point that many of us haven't. The thread is taken way too seriously (although sometimes it can be too not-serious).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
we need life shrooms to be an item in sm4sh.
"you just killed me but now i picked up a life shroom":troll:
now thats a really bad idea....
i hope they make using items uniuqe for each character.
anyone remember mewtwo + beam sword?
If you mean the 1-up Mushroom, then that would be potentially game-changing, especially if it works the way I think it would; increasing the player's stock by 1. That would be pretty awesome. :awesome:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Glad to see Smash Fan back!

If anyone has seen my last post, just want people to know that I edited it to where it reflects more of my opinion today and less of the drama it caused.
I just want to say that I am deeply sorry for what I said. There was clearly other ways I could have portrayed it, but I did it out of irrationality and was overly emotional about it.
Back then, I was a depressed person. My mind was all about Smash 4 and getting Victini in Smash 4 to prevent Zoroark's inclusion and mentally, it swallowed me up. I felt like a failure and worried every day that my dream of being myself would never be accomplished.
Shut up with the apology. You don't need to apologize to us. We knew you had good, but perhaps wrongly expressed reasons to leave. I figured you were perhaps too caught up into this, possibly to mask something. I did the same thing pre-Brawl for a while.

I was masking how I had recently been betrayed by most of my best and closest friends, many of whom I had been friends with for almost a decade. They had been stealing money and things from me for several years when I invited them to my house. We used to be real close when I was really athletic and involved in sports before I contracted an illness that prevented me from being physically active. But when my health started to deteriorate, they stopped wanting to be around me at school. I went from being one of the "cool kids" because of my athletic ablility (although I didn't like the rest of the crowd we hung out with) to being just another nobody who was seen as nothing special. They also only visited me, as I said, to steal from me. But you know what=??? I got over it, and so will you. Don't make me link a Ray Lewis speech. Plus now I truly get physical talents aren't what make the man. The mind makes the man, and this experience made me a grounded and intelligent person with a lot more passion for life.
I've also been getting very much into movies recently. One fan base I'm currently involved in is An American Tail and I love both An American Tail and An American Tail: Fievel Goes West. The fan base is small, but I love being around it. The people are respectful, polite, and don't constantly fight with each other. What I'm saying is this; we should be more like them and less like what we are now.
Here's the thing: We debate over Smash Wii U and 3DS because we want different things to happen in the sequel. I want wave landing back, someone else doesn't. I want Toon Link back, a few people want Young Link back, and Arc wants a Masked Link concept. We are debating-which ripens our ability to reason. Because without doubting our opinion with the opinions of other, we are using argumentative certainty instead of reasoning. In other words, we are sharping our ability to reason, in a sense, by debating.

We also are able to learn more ideas, opinions, and thoughts from others, thus giving us a wider and better pool of ideas, opinions, and thoughts to like, dislike, and be indifferent or neutral to. I wouldn't have "liked" Geno if the Geno fan base hadn't come around and convinced me to play Super Mario RPG. I also wouldn't have pushed for Ridley if I didn't know other people also thought he was a great character.

The "An American Tail" series hasn't had a sequel in years, and likely, the whole fan base wants the same thing in a sequel. Thus "debating" is pointless, unless it comes down to how you interpret things in said movie.

However, I do agree arguing and name calling has no place here. But you know what=??? So does just about everyone here. We shouldn't be debating to win, but debating to get our point across better, more effectively, and to understand where others are coming from. We also do it to try to figure out what the other person views in all this, what they perceive, when they began to perceive this, how they began to perceive this, why they continue to perceive this, where they began to perceive this from, and what is the root of their views on what should be perceived as "important."

For instance, if I view Donkey Kong characters as "top priority characters," that means I value the DK's franchises characters as the most important. My root must be from either growing up liking Donkey Kong characters (more than other smash bros character candidates), liking the games a lot, or just liking the concept of them being playable in smash. If it's say the latter, that means I view character concepts as the most important part of adding playable characters. Literally our debating, if done right, is as simple as that my friend. ;)

I agree some of us cross the line with our comments on Diddy Kong involving Impa, but he knows we like him aside from how annoying he can be. Think of him as the obnoxious older brother who thinks he is trying to do the right thing... in a sense. Back in the pre-Brawl days, he used to do the same thing with the character Diddy Kong. The difference=??? Dang near everyone wanted to play as Diddy Kong, whereas (now) nobody wants to play as Impa, especially as a replacement for Sheik. Plus back then there were separate boards for each character. Once there is a Smash Wii U/3DS character board, Diddy will inevitably overflow the Impa character page with comments about her. Quite frankly, that will annoy basically no one but the few dark lost souls who decide to visit such a page... :smirk:
My most wanted character has steered back to Mega Man. I have always loved Mega Man and have always wanted him to be in Smash. If he were to be in, I would immediately main him. Luckily, I feel he is very likely to show up this game and I do expect him.
So I guess that means we're all in the same boat on Mega Man being the Strongest! :awesome:
Two more things. First off, I will not actively push for characters I want to see in SSB4. I've realized it was pointless and I shouldn't be changing people's opinion as I tried to do so hard when I came here. Secondly, I am going to upheld a high expectation for the roster. Now I understand people are going to say "You're setting yourself up for disappointment." and I acknowledge that, but why bother avoiding disappointment? Everyone is likely to find something that they find less than satisfying, regardless of how low they set their expectations and the roster will be no exception. I expect at least fifty-three characters (transformation included). Of course I can definitely work with less, but I don't think Sakurai is going to pull a bad roster on us.
Well that's why I say hope for say up to 55 characters, but don't expect anymore than say 47 (you need to bring that 53 characters expectation down a tad). Don't expect certain characters (except maybe the Ridleys, King K. Rools, and Mega Mans of the world), and don't expect the game to blow the universe out of the water.
As for other things that you see changed about my opinions on characters and Smash in general, you'll see. Hopefully, with my campaign for Victini behind me, I can finally not have to stress about something so unimportant.
I get that you were mainly pushing for Victini because he would prevent Zoroark from being playable, but you can still push for Victini because you like Victini. Now if you aren't that big on Victini, that's cool. I kinda like Bowser Jr. and I would kinda like to see him playable, but if he doesn't make it, I'm cool with it (and I don't actively support him). If that's what you wanna do man, do it. Be free to do whatever you feel is the most... "you."
Lastly, has Sakurai stated anything in regards to relevancy being a factor he considers in characters? I see it as a buzz word at worst and indirect in influence at best; in other words, I don't seriously consider it.
The only "real thing" we've gotten was a Kid Icarus: Uprising interview where the interviewer forgot Pit was in Brawl, and asked Sakurai if Pit could be in the next smash bros game! :chuckle: Sakurai said "it is a possibility." That sly dog... :shades:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@SSBF

Granted, I've only just started posting in this thread, but I have been lurking for a while, and I do recall some of the posts you were referencing.

I like to think what brings us all together is a passion about a series of games and an interest in the future of the series, instead of just the desperation of having nothing of value to do outside this board.
I guess both have their truths, but it was passion that drove us to this site in the first place.

And while I feel elitism can sometimes be a problem in Smash speculation, I feel as if everyone has valid opinions, and whether somebody would judge the validity of other's points based on something as trivial as stubbornness, writing ability, post count, smash skill, etc. reflects more about their state of mind than the one exhibiting those behaviors.

I believe you're right when you say that when we get to a point where we are at each other's throats trying to prove each other wrong, just for the sake of winning an argument, there is an unconscious (or possibly conscious) feeling of elitism that they exhibit.

However, at least recently, I believe that most people are indeed respecting other's opinions, or at least not actively trying to oppose them with the sole purpose of the person submitting to them.
I think one of the key examples of lack of elitism is those changing their minds and listening to the logic of other members (which not everyone does) but it is prevalent enough in this thread to at least make me think that there has been some breakdown of the elite wall.

I think the best cure against elitism is to reminds ourselves that this place is a board for fans of a game, to discuss a game, and in no way will affect the development of the game.
Pretty much just reminding ourselves it's just a game. (A really fun game -- but a game nonetheless)

Just my two cents.

Plus I love the American Tail series. Good choice ;)

PS.
No Girls Allowed Clubs suck. Boys are dumb anyway. :laugh:

grizby2

Smash Lord
If you mean the 1-up Mushroom, then that would be potentially game-changing, especially if it works the way I think it would; increasing the player's stock by 1. That would be pretty awesome. :awesome:
especially if set on very high :bee:

which reminds me, in sm4sh they ought to let the players toggle the item appearence rate by percentage instead of the what-item-was-toggled-on-first method.

o0o0, and perhaps saving special sm4sh conditions, like..
low gravity + small character = Preset #1
fixed screen + 2x speed = Preset # 2
maybe they could even remember what items /regular options are on.

that way we wouldn't have to go through the trouble of re-putting in all the settings for a crazy special match.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^ Agreed.

Also, what if they decided to put Miyamoto himself as a playable character, with that guy's face from Brain Age as an Assist Trophy? Just throwing ideas around...
I would totally main him. That's what would happen.

The AT effect would be making us take a break from the game to do some math. :troll:

edit: I joke about it at first, but knowing Sakurai, this could scarily enough be his effect.

The first two were pretty much givens, and FE was more than likely bound to happen, but I'm glad we're finally a little closer there.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So since we all seem to like Mega, how about which weapons for weapon switching do you think he should use?

So far from off the top of my head I can see a lot of good uses for:
Magnet Missles (MM3)
Mirror Buster (MM:WR)
Wheel Cutter (MM10)
I think the Elect Blast (Elect Man, MM1), the Metal Blade (Metal Man, MM2), and the boomerang (Quick Man, MM3) are clearly weapons that must be included.

Pokédex Pro, eh=??? Interesting... :smirk:

D

Deleted member

To be quite honest, I don't care much for Mega Man, so I don't really have anything to say about weapons...
Not that I don't want him in the game, just that it doesn't matter to me if he makes it or not.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So since we all seem to like Mega, how about which weapons for weapon switching do you think he should use?

So far from off the top of my head I can see a lot of good uses for:
Magnet Missles (MM3)
Mirror Buster (MM:WR)
Wheel Cutter (MM10)
If he doesn't have Metal Man's Metal Blades from Mega Man 2, I'm not interested.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
To be quite honest, I don't care much for Mega Man, so I don't really have anything to say about weapons...
Not that I don't want him in the game, just that it doesn't matter to me if he makes it or not.
Are you not a fan of the classic Mega Man games=??? :confused:

D

Deleted member

I haven't really played the Mega Man games.
I feel as though he deserves being in Smash though, but if he isn't in, I'm not going to rage or anything. I didn't when he wasn't in Marvel 3; I only questioned why characters from his series were but he wasn't.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Sol
Yeah, that makes sense I guess.

@ Golden
I guess that makes sense. Still, you ought to do yourself a favor and play Mega Man 1-3 if you like side scrolling platform/action/shooter games. They are classic games. :shades:

Also, I think Mega Man should at least have 1 weapon from each of the 10 classic MM games (maybe 1 from MM and Bass). Although if that doesn't happen, Mega Man should have several weapons from the 1st 3 games. And even if that former scenario does happen, the latter scenario still should happen (although it isn't as badly needed). :cool:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm somewhat the same way.

He'd be great, I agree, but after him being screwed over in multiple games... my hope for him is small.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The Metal Blade would be weird IMO. It would have to be changed heavly to make it work in Smash without it being overpowered. That and I don't think that it would do all that much that the Mega Buster wouldn't, other than being able to shoot in 8 directions.

@Johnknight: 10 games?! The real fans know that there are 16 main games! :p

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I haven't really played the Mega Man games.
I feel as though he deserves being in Smash though, but if he isn't in, I'm not going to rage or anything. I didn't when he wasn't in Marvel 3; I only questioned why characters from his series were but he wasn't.
Capcom cheated by making him an alt costume for Zero in UMvC3. Ahhh, Capcom and their love of cutting corners.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Triple Dash
Meah, just don't make the Metal Blade overpowered like in Mega Man 2. Just make it to where you can fire it at a reasonable rate.

Also, 16 games=??? Are you referring to the Game Boy Mega Man games=??? The ones I played (Dr. Wily's Revenge and II and III) were good, but not as good as the originals. :p

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Has someone noticed that in Marvel vs Capcom 3,Phoenix Wright is the last of the Tier List?

:(

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Phoenix Wright is the only character who I played a game who has in MvC3 ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom