• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Smash 4's name? I like Fury or Clash. Fury because it reminds me of Four and it is appropriate because there is a good chance fans will go into a collective nerd rage after the final roster is revealed :troll: Clash because it is like Mario Clash or Battle Clash.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Oh, I never thought of that, I was thinking about a trailer showing off gameplay.
In that case, yeah, we probably won't get a gameplay trailer until next year

But I don't think anyone here is expecting a gameplay trailer, especially we now know that development is only just starting

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It doesnt really take much to just slap together a (presumably) 30 second CGI trailer just to get people talking
You know what will get people talking? A blank screen with the Smash 4's logo and name on it. Nothing more, nothing less. :awesome:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

2.1 version, for all the cynics to drool over. >_>;
Replace Ryu with Megaman. The creator of Street Fighter said if a Street Fighter was going to be in, it would be M. Bison. Even so, he said he'd rather see Megaman first.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
Oh HELL no. We either get both or we get neither. It was already a sacrifice to delete Megaman, but I'll always be a fighting gamer first and a platform gamer second, so either Ryu stays or they both go.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, I think I distinctively remember saying this was my roster. True, I made some cuts due to what someone else said, but I brought it down to a realistic-ish size. But in the end these are MY choices, and I'm not budging one goddamn inch. Ryu stays or Ryu/Mega go. That's my ultimatum.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Oh HELL no. We either get both or we get neither. It was already a sacrifice to delete Megaman, but I'll always be a fighting gamer first and a platform gamer second, so either Ryu stays or they both go.
But Megaman has been in fighters too. :troll:

Plus, he's Capcom's mascot, much like Sonic is to SEGA. It's either Megaman or nobody.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

2.1 version, for all the cynics to drool over. >_>;
Looks reasonable even though I don't agree with having four Fire Emblem reps... I think it should have two at most but whatever. I am also not sure why Yoshi is so far away from the rest of the Marioverse characters? Ghirahim? Meh, I could live with that even though I prefer Tingle. Lucario? Meh... I have Brawl for that... gimme a 1st gen newcomer like Meowth to go with your latest gen newcomer. ;) Anthony Higgs? The "Remember Me" guy from Other M? Ummm... okay, that's fine though I think that slot could go to someone more noteworthy from another Nintendo franchise. At least you have Toad and Dixie Kong, two of my top five most-wanted characters. Overall I think it is an okay roster.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Tatsunooko VS Capcom. Street Fighter X Tekken.

Come again?
Mega Man fans generally don't count those two games because they are not Classic Mega Man. :rolleyes: Whatever, man.... Classic Mega Man has been hogging all the attention, it is nice to give the spotlight to the other Mega Men for once.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mega Man fans generally don't count those two games because they are not Classic Mega Man. :rolleyes: Whatever, man.... Classic Mega Man has been hogging all the attention, it is nice to give the spotlight to the other Mega Men for once.
Bara MegaMan is still Classic MegaMan, however. Same guy.

MegaMan is MegaMan to me. Being a different version doesn't matter. It's MegaMan in a fighting game. Enough said.

I heard .Exe was in a fighting game as well.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I guess what I meant is that those Mega Man fans want a specific Mega Man to look this specific way. Bara Man may be Classic Mega Man, too... but the fans specifically want Shota Man. smh

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh, boy... it is so hard to pick which characters could fill out those 15 slots. Well... I could cut Lucario and Ike... and give their slots to Zoroark (or Victini) and Krom respectively. I could cut Toon Link and give his slot to Tingle... while replacing Sheik with Impa while she shares the same slot with Zelda (effectively trolling both Sheik and Impa fanbases even though Impa is basically the updated Sheik). That is four newcomers so far... and I haven't even used up those 15 empty slots. In my dream roster, those 15 slots could be filled out by:

1. Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong
2. King K. Rool
3. Meowth or Team Rocket (Meowth, Meowth & Arbok, Meowth & Weezing)
4. Mewtwo
5. Palutena
6. Medusa
7. Little Mac
8. King Hippo
9. Takamaru
10. Ducks & Hunting Dog
11. Starfy
12. Mii
13. Toad
14. Ridley
15. Mega Man or Bad Box Art Mega Man (either one is fine with me)

Cut 4 veterans (Lucario, Ike, Sheik, Toon Link) and add about 18 newcomers plus Mewtwo... very nice!!! Not a bad trade-off, IMO.
1. Nobody but you seems to want Team Rocket.
2. Tingle is in no way more deserving or more interesting than Toon Link.
3. Kiddy Kong ain't invited. :p
4. the Duck Hunt Dog ain't coming.
5. Very few want Impa to replace Sheik or both to make it.
6.That fits your roster sample, even if a lot of your choices are questionable.
7. Again, one newcomer probably takes about as much work as 2 to 2 1/2 (Brawl) characters already in smash. It's simply like business. Nintendo already has their data and statistics and stuff. All Sakurai and co is gonna do is modify many of their moves, transfer over the frames and whatnot, give them new updated (graphically) character models, and maybe a few new attacks. That's it really, along with new frames for stuff like items.

With new characters, you have to design them from scratch, come up with alternate outfits, invent movesets, implement those movesets, and competely start from scratch. This is completely a different scenario from the one you are painting, and probably a more accurate one, too, unless Sakurai starts entirely from scratch. Sakurai only stared mostly from scratch with Brawl.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, not completely. MvC fans wants just a MegaMan in 3. X, .EXE, MM Zero, Classic, Bara, Legends, ZX, Starforce, doesn't matter.

I would actually like X in Smash, as he was a shotoclone in MvC, and I want that changed. But that's just me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Actually, not completely. MvC fans wants just a MegaMan in 3. X, .EXE, MM Zero, Classic, Bara, Legends, ZX, Starforce, doesn't matter.

I would actually like X in Smash, as he was a shotoclone in MvC, and I want that changed. But that's just me.
Oh, well... they can still play as X in MvC3. Zero's alternate costume makes him look exactly like Mega Man X anyway. There's no real difference other than seeing Zero's name on the health bar but that's nothing to get upset over. If I have a PS3, it is almost a guarantee that MvC3, SFxT, and SSFIV will be among the first games I buy for the PS3 along with God of War Collection, Origins Collection, and God of War III AND Prince of Persia, Trilogy, and Forgotten Sands AND both Batman games (yes, I love those action-adventure platformer games).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, well... they can still play as X in MvC3. Zero's alternate costume makes him look exactly like Mega Man X anyway. There's no real difference other than seeing Zero's name on the health bar but that's nothing to get upset over. If I have a PS3, it is almost a guarantee that MvC3, SFxT, and SSFIV will be among the first games I buy for the PS3 along with God of War Collection, Origins Collection, and God of War III AND Prince of Persia, Trilogy, and Forgotten Sands AND both Batman games (yes, I love those action-adventure platformer games).
It's still not MegaMan in there. It's just Capcom trolling with a costume so they don't have to do the dirty work and actually work on the character.

It's a product of laziness as is. Either give us a real MegaMan or don't. That infuriated fans instead of quelling their wants. It was a terrible idea.

Thus, 3 has no actual MegaMan. The funny thing is that Zero was supposed to be X, so other than being a call back to the original X games... it was dumb.

Anyway, what's Trilogy?

payasofobia

Smash Champion
Get Demon's Souls and Dark Souls too. The PvP is pretty awesome and it's one of the best PS3 single-player experiences there are. Just remember to not run, but walk. If you run, your chances of dying are increased tenfold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sop4DU0MzC4

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Prince of Persia Trilogy. It is a HD Classic with all three Prince of Persia games from the PS2. I am telling you... if Prince of Persia was owned by Nintendo, I would 100% support him! I love those games. I already beaten Sands of Time (GCN) and Two Thrones (Wii) but not Warrior Within (I don't have that game) and Forgotten Sands.

1. Nobody but you seems to want Team Rocket.
2. Tingle is in no way more deserving or more interesting than Toon Link.
3. Kiddy Kong ain't invited. :p
4. the Duck Hunt Dog ain't coming.
5. Very few want Impa to replace Sheik or both to make it.
6.That fits your roster sample, even if a lot of your choices are questionable.
7. Again, one newcomer probably takes about as much work as 2 to 2 1/2 (Brawl) characters already in smash. It's simply like business. Nintendo already has their data and statistics and stuff. All Sakurai and co is gonna do is modify many of their moves, transfer over the frames and whatnot, give them new updated (graphically) character models, and maybe a few new attacks. That's it really, along with new frames for stuff like items.

With new characters, you have to design them from scratch, come up with alternate outfits, invent movesets, implement those movesets, and competely start from scratch. This is completely a different scenario from the one you are painting, and probably a more accurate one, too, unless Sakurai starts entirely from scratch. Sakurai only stared mostly from scratch with Brawl.
I don't want Sakurai to take the lazy way again and just add a couple original characters and a bunch of clones. It was awful that Melee added 8 original characters and 6 clones. That's why I was glad that Brawl added 15 original characters but only 3 clones (Toon Link, Wolf, Lucas). If Sakurai really wants to attract more fans to the game but retain most of the Smash fanbase, he will keep most of the veterans and add a bunch of newcomers who aren't clones.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Let's make us some big *** 75 character + rosters already.

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't want Sakurai to take the lazy way again and just add a couple original characters and a bunch of clones. It was awful that Melee added 8 original characters and 6 clones. That's why I was glad that Brawl added 15 original characters but only 3 clones (Toon Link, Wolf, Lucas). If Sakurai really wants to attract more fans to the game but retain most of the Smash fanbase, he will keep most of the veterans and add a bunch of newcomers who aren't clones.
That isn't the lazy way. Hell, any work that involves working 20 hours a day for 6 days out of the week isn't "lazy." If anything, it is unethical hours of labor. You don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying keeping these veteran characters allows the roster to be bigger, just like how clones are easier to add (except in this case, these characters are [mostly] original). If Sakurai just got ride of all the previous smash bros characters and got new ones, the cast would be about 30 characters probably. That's how much easier it is to work with characters from the previous games.

And lastly, clones are (mostly) late add-ons. If Sakurai has time to make original characters, but enough time to make 1-3 clones, I say add 'em in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want Team Rocket :cry:
See? This guy wants Team Rocket. I am not alone on this. Seriously, even if it is unlikely... having Team Rocket in Smash would be awesome.

Meowth alone. Down B. Meowth & Arbok team. Down B. Meowth & Weezing team. Down B. Meowth alone.

It is like Meowth gets three sets of special moves. Meowth uses the same A moves in all three movesets. Meowth uses his own special moves: Pay Day (B), Faint Attack (Up B), Fury Swipes (Side B, like Marth's Side B) when he is alone. Arbok uses his own special moves to support Meowth with Poison Sting (B), Wrap (Up B, like Captain Falcon's Up B), Glare (Side B, like Mewtwo's Down B in Melee). Weezing uses his own special moves to support Meowth with Smog (B, like in Melee), Poison Gas (Side B), Sludge (Up B, like Yoshi's Egg Throw) but Weezing lets Meowth float like Jigglypuff when Meowth rides on Weezing.

It would be amazing to have an Event Match where you play as Pokemon Trainer and you must protect Pikachu from Team Rocket.... or have a 2 vs. 2 match where one team is Pokemon Trainer and Pikachu and the other team is Team Rocket and Mewtwo. There's something iconic about this classic scenario and you know it!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I take clones if we can get in over 60 characters because of them. We'd all play as them anyway if the gameplay is good. :/ Melee proves this.

payasofobia

Smash Champion

Here you have it.

>Super Mario Bros.

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Wario
Yoshi
Namek
Paper Mario

>The Legend of Zelda

Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Girahim
Impa
Tingle

>Metroid
Samus
Zero Suit
Anthony
Ridley
Dark Samus

>Pokemon

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Pichu Brothers
Deoxys
Lucario
Zoroark

>Fire Emblem

Marth
Ike
Black Knight
Grom
Grom's sister

>F-Zero
Captain Falcon
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow

>Kid Icarus

Pit
Medusa
Palutena

>Kirby

Kirby
DDD
Metaknight
Knuckle Joe
Bandana Dee

>Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K Roll
DK Junior with Trixie Kong

>Nintendo

Sukapon
Ice Climbers
Ballon Fighter
Mach Rider
Lip
Takamaru
Mii
ROB
Mr Game and Watch

>Star Fox

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal

>Mother

Ness
Lucas
Porky
Gyigas(humanoid Form)

>Punch Out

Little Mac
King Hippo

>Sin and Punishment

Saki
Isa Jo

>Nintendo RPG

Isaac
Alex
Xenoblade guy

>Third Party

Snake
Sonic
A belmont
Trvis Touchdown
MegaMAN
Baby from Imagine: Party Babyz.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That isn't the lazy way. Hell, any work that involves working 20 hours a day for 6 days out of the week isn't "lazy." If anything, it is unethical hours of labor. You don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying keeping these veteran characters allows the roster to be bigger, just like how clones are easier to add (except in this case, these characters are [mostly] original). If Sakurai just got ride of all the previous smash bros characters and got new ones, the cast would be about 30 characters probably. That's how much easier it is to work with characters from the previous games.

And lastly, clones are (mostly) late add-ons. If Sakurai has time to make original characters, but enough time to make 1-3 clones, I say add 'em in.
Chances are, Sakurai spent most of that time balancing the gameplay and creating those trophies in Melee. I am fine with clones if they are the last priority when it comes to building the roster and the number of clones is 1/3 of the total number of newcomers. Case in point, 1 clone for every 5 original character in Brawl. If we are getting 20 newcomers in Smash 4, I expect 1 clone for every 6 or 7 original characters.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd like to see as few clones as possible and I don't want to see newcomers in as clones. It still feels a bit dirty that Lucas and Wolf were both just four moves away from being completely unique characters.

Anyway, ARc, what did you think of the DHD specials I sent?

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
Tatsunooko VS Capcom. Street Fighter X Tekken.

Come again?
You said MegaMan. Not "MegaMan Volnutt", not "BBA MegaMan". My point is still valid.

Did it already. Cut it down to fit inside the box of these people (Also to be a bit more realistic), but the first version was bigass.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Chances are, Sakurai spent most of that time balancing the gameplay and creating those trophies in Melee. I am fine with clones if they are the last priority when it comes to building the roster and the number of clones is 1/3 of the total number of newcomers. Case in point, 1 clone for every 5 original character in Brawl. If we are getting 20 newcomers in Smash 4, I expect 1 clone for every 6 or 7 original characters.
Trophies don't take much adding. All you do is transfer over the graphical data for a character from another game (or if they are already in smash, use that), add a description, and put them on a stand.

However, much of the development period for Sakurai probably does revolve around balancing the game and making sure everything runs smoothly and feels like a "Smash Bros" game and a game that any and everyone could/would enjoy.

Also, I agree with your point on clones. If Sakurai has no other original characters planned and no time to plan them, add all the clones you can I say. Better clones than nothing.
You said MegaMan. Not "MegaMan Volnutt", not "BBA MegaMan". My point is still valid.
Exactly. We don't want any of the Volnutt crap as a playable character in Smash. Also, X and Zero can be alternate outfits. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cloning in forms will happen if the roster grows much bigger than it is now. And that's why Anthony is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom