• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its a shame that Diddy Kong did not get in Melee, and that K. Rool or Dixie Kong did not get in Brawl, because if they did, Smash 4 would probably have all four of the major DKC characters.

Kantrip

Kantplay
At least two additions for a series aren't unheard of. Nintendo kind of neglects Donkey Kong Country and has taken the franchise in a new direction since they took control of it. Donkey Kong Country Returns was a nice homage, but it still didn't include K. Rool or Dixie.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
At least two additions for a series aren't unheard of. Nintendo kind of neglects Donkey Kong Country and has taken the franchise in a new direction since they took control of it. Donkey Kong Country Returns was a nice homage, but it still didn't include K. Rool or Dixie.
Yeah, I find it disconcerting that the only game appearance that K. Rool and Dixie Kong made since Brawl's release was Mario Super Sluggers (which was released only a few months after Brawl).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
At least their inclusion in Super Sluggers showed us they still exist. -shrug-
The only Donkey Kong platformer to be released after Brawl's release was Donkey Kong Country Returns, which was a massive sales success (even selling nearly one million copies in Japan alone). I think aside from the appearance of K. Rool and Dixie Kong in Mario Super Sluggers, there was the playable appearance of Funky Kong in Mario Kart Wii (which again was released only a few months after Brawl).

Aside from that, the only DK character aside from Donkey Kong that has managed to make regular appearances in the Mario spinoffs is Diddy Kong.

Kantrip

Kantplay
The only Donkey Kong platformer to be released after Brawl's release was Donkey Kong Country Returns, which was a massive sales success (even selling nearly one million copies in Japan alone). I think aside from the appearance of K. Rool and Dixie Kong in Mario Super Sluggers, there was the playable appearance of Funky Kong in Mario Kart Wii (which again was released only a few months after Brawl).

Aside from that, the only DK character aside from Donkey Kong that has managed to make regular appearances in the Mario spinoffs is Diddy Kong.
Yep and yep.

I'd prefer to see Chunky/Tiny/Lanky over Dixie imo
Yeah 64 characters are pretty cool and all so I understand this. However, I feel Dixie is overall a better pick, objectively speaking.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
I say King K Rool and switchable Lanky/Chunky/Tiny are better because of the sizes, but I can't argue, both good probably but Idk, just seems Lanky and the others would have fun playstyles

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
DKCR2, if they ever get around to that, should have Dixie and Funky as 3rd and 4th player options, with K. Rool as the boss. IMO.

4-player platformers are all the rage anyhow.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Switchable Lank/Chunky/Tiny is a no for me.

However I would very much like a switchable Squawks/Squitter/Rambi controlled by Cranky sitting in his rocking chair. My impossible fantasies of playing as Squitter and camping with web spam from my web platform. :)

Kantrip

Kantplay
DKCR2, if they ever get around to that, should have Dixie and Funky as 3rd and 4th player options, with K. Rool as the boss. IMO.

Yeah it would be pretty swell if they integrated some sort of Kremling/Tiki relations and had them work in tandem. Then the kongs head over to Crocodile Isle and stuff.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

I am hoping that this game gets announced at E3 2012, though I think it won't. I guess our only hope for another game that has K. Rool and Dixie Kong in it before the end of 2012 is if Paon is making another DK spinoff for the 3DS. Though there is also the chance that one of the two ends up in Mario Tennis Open.

D

Deleted member

With this news on Pokemon, I'm completely unsure of who is the best rep.

Clearly, the likes of Zoroark and Victini are out with.

Would it be Kyurem, despite being another "bigger than Bowser" character like Ridley and K. Rool?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
In the long run, it really isn't.

Hell, now that Meloetta's been revealed already, I feel Genesect is the biggest choice outside Kyurem.
I feel they're all awful choices compared to Mewtwo.

I mean, it's not about who was in the latest movie. Lucario was always going to be the right choice no matter what Manaphy, Darkrai, or Shaymin did.

EDIT: Is it bad I turned on Mario 64 DS just so I could toss a penguin off a cliff.

EDIT AGAIN: When the heck are they going to make WarioWare for the 3DS. That better be at E3.

D

Deleted member

I mean, it's not about who was in the latest movie. Lucario was always going to be the right choice no matter what Manaphy, Darkrai, or Shaymin did.
Shaymin's movie wasn't out until after Brawl. :awesome:

But that aside, there is also the fact that Genesect has a backstory similar to that of Mewtwo.

And with Kyurem, it's not that it will be in the "latest movie". It's that it's the mascot for two games that are direct sequels to games in the same generation (something never done before), as well as taking references to the previous two mascots.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I feel they're all awful choices compared to Mewtwo.

Yeah. I feel the same way. Mewtwo really sticks out as the only Pokemon character that NEEDS to be added.

There is no one from Generation 5 that sticks out like Lucario did. I don't think Zoroark caught on due to him being so much of a retread of Lucario (canine anthropomorphic Pokemon). Maybe if Victini, Meloetta, or Genesect was the first revealed Pokemon of Generation 5 they could have had the following that Lucario had. On a side note, Keldeo is perhaps the worst looking of the Generation 5 event Pokemon.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think just the fact that they tried to make Zoroark LIKE Lucario speaks enough about the INVESTMENT they had in him. If there has to be a Gen V Pokemon in Smash, that's why I would lean toward him. I only entertain the idea of Victini because a case could actually be made that he's more of a mascot. At least Zoroark actually APPEARS in the game, too. Only as N's Pokemon, no less. N even has Zoroark's hair, lol.

Big Moose

Smash Cadet
I feel Dixie Kong is the only other kong that is recognized enough to make it.The rest just dont.. fit.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Watch Lugia be the new Pokemon addition after Mewtwo, lol. Didn't he have some requests back in the Melee days?

I know he's always been rather popular, with a somewhat constant presence since his debut.

D

Deleted member

I just wonder how big Kyurem's forms are going to be. Will they be around the same size as it's normal self, around their counterparts' sizes? Or larger?

Either way, they'll still be technically smaller than Ridley. :smirk:

@Oasis: Yes, pre-Melee, Lugia was 20th in the Top 20 in Japan.
However, he ain't getting in before Mew, who was in the Top 10.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still think its possible that some sort of new Pokemon will be rolled out in the 2013 movie alongside Genesect.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Is Sakurai going to care that much about it when he already has the roster finalized this year.
Pokemon Company may force his hand to make a late addition if they do have as much control over Smash Bros.'s Pokemon content as Sakurai says. Considering that Sakurai is a Fire Emblem fan and that he still had to go to Intelligent Systems on which Fire Emblem character to add as a newcomer in Brawl, I think that Sakurai will probably go to the Pokemon Company (or the Pokemon Company come to him), and give him the heads up about this new Pokemon before anyone else.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's not like they have an IRON GRIP on its content. He was just saying they were strict about the designs, which he also said was true for Zelda and Mario characters, and that getting Pokemon to work in a game like Smash was TRICKY BUSINESS. Y'know because they're out of their element and all that.

Obviously they weren't SUPER STRICT because they let him get away with Mewtwo.

D

Deleted member

That, and he went to IS for a SUGGESTION. Meaning he didn't know who to add.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It's not like they have an IRON GRIP on its content. He was just saying they were strict about the designs, which he also said was true for Zelda and Mario characters, and that getting Pokemon to work in a game like Smash was TRICKY BUSINESS. Y'know because they're out of their element and all that.

Obviously they weren't SUPER STRICT because they let him get away with Mewtwo.
Sakurai seemed to be talking about that determining Pokemon content was difficult at least twice due to the Pokemon Company's involvement. I have not seen him bring this up about any other series except for maybe third-parties.

I do think that there is a plausible chance we could see a Pokemon that has not been revealed yet as a newcomer in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

I REALLY doubt that.

Considering that not being officially revealed by Nintendo seems to have prevented Shaymin and Arceus from having any sort of appearance in Brawl.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I see Tryphen down there, and I bet he's thinking "These guys don't know what they're talking about. Where did I put that link to this interview."

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You both are all going about this wrong.

I'm almost postive that Genesect's movie will have a 6th Gen Pokemon, however, it will be in a minor role. The movie after that will have the 6th Gen play an actual role, similar to Lugia, Latias/Latios, Lucario, and Zoroark.

Based on the development of Smash 4, however, since the 6th Gen Pokemon that will be revealed next year will be in a minor role, it won't ever have a shot at being playable (like Maril/Snubull, Kecleon, or Munchlax), but it would have a shot at being a Pokeball (assuming, of course, they actually reveal a new Pokemon at all).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Assuming we ever get a 6th Gen in the first place. I don't even think we'll get that far, and would get a real Pokemon Grey first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom