• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@GiantBreadbug: Yeah, I enjoyed Other M as well. Sure, the story could've been better (like the total lack of mentioning Samus was raised by the Chozo and giving Adam all the credit) but gameplay was intense, solid, and fun. I do agree with people going too harsh on the game (same goes with Urban Champion: I love the game but it has a huge hate base).
Yeah, now that you mention it, there was an unnecessary omission of Samus's pre-Federation past. Maybe in a sequel they can provide more insight.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Are we not counting Shake It and MGS4?
I think the theme for MGS4 was an unique one made specifically for Brawl. It was probably put in specifically due to how Kojima's determined Metal Gear's Brawl content. I thtink the MGS4 content was all determined maybe all the way back in 2006.

And if you are saying that Shake It's content was Wario's victory theme, I think its much more likely that the Shake It music was based off Wario's victory theme rather than Shake It content being extrapolated into Brawl.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yeah, now that you mention it, there was an unnecessary omission of Samus's pre-Federation past. Maybe in a sequel they can provide more insight.
Not sure when we'll see a new Metroid game (I hope soon) but according to the Metroid timeline the only game that came after Other M is Fusion which has some nodes to Other M even though it's a 2002 game. But yeah, I'd like to see some stuff answered from OM (maybe whenever Nintendo finally decides to make Metroid Dread)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Star Could you link me to your stage concept pages? I remember you concocting one for Built to Scale, and I effing love Rhythm Heaven (waiting for my copy of Fever to get here :D).
My thread is in the following link:

Super Smash Bros. 4: Stage Conception

On the first post there is a directory linking to all of my various concepts.

Let's keep in mind Metroid isn't terribly popular in Japan, so not referencing the latest game isn't entirely out of the question for Sakurai.

But most of the other games were, so...

*is hoping for some of Tingle's themes in SSB4*
Despite this Sakurai still includes a lot of Metroid content. My only qualm has been he could have chosen a better Prime stage, preferably not one in an enclosed environment. Apart from that he gives the series quite a bit, as he does Mother. In fact from what I remember he added Zero Suit Samus specifically because he wanted to include another Metroid character in the game.

Still, I can see us getting another Prime and Other M stage.

Speaking of Metroid:

By show of virtual hands, who here hates Other M? I've played Metroid since Super Metroid, and I thought Other M was the best game (in the series or otherwise) that I've played in awhile. Of course, it isn't as raw and inspired as the Prime series, but I really don't get the hate for it. Team Ninja did a fantastic job making Samus really athletic and badass like she should be. If the narrative was really that troublesome, then I question the general public's ability to sit through videogames that have stories.
I have, but I did not reach as favorable an opinion as you have. My problem with the story is continuity and quality. I also did not particularly enjoy the only levels within the game being sectors again. The first person mechanic was wonky and ruined the speed of battles for me.

However, the game still was some of the best money I ever spent. I held off on purchasing the game because I was still hesitant to drop down money, so I rented it first before spending $49.99. Best $7 I ever spent.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Despite this Sakurai still includes a lot of Metroid content. My only qualm has been he could have chosen a better Prime stage, preferably not one in an enclosed environment. Apart from that he gives the series quite a bit, as he does Mother. In fact from what I remember he added Zero Suit Samus specifically because he wanted to include another Metroid character in the game.

Still, I can see us getting another Prime and Other M stage.
So can I.

Actually, I'd like if he made a stage that wasn't another remake of Brinstar Depths(Frigate Orpheon) and Brinstar/Planet Zebes(the other one).

Is it that hard to be unique here?

Also, Zero Suit Samus' style was slightly similar to Sheik's, making it easier to program in general. Their body type is nearly identical. Also, he found Ridley best as a boss(clearly), and want to continue the Character Switch mechanics. All 3 versions are unique in themselves.

Zelda/Sheik requires eachother for optimal gameplay(or that's his idea), Pokemon Trainer uses Lag. And ZZS is Samus' faster half that you have to lose all your direct power to gain(normally), and get a Smash Ball to change back.

So it was a matter of uniqueness, I'd say. I think he's trying various character switch mechanics.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
I think the theme for MGS4 was an unique one made specifically for Brawl. It was probably put in specifically due to how Kojima's determined Metal Gear's Brawl content. I thtink the MGS4 content was all determined maybe all the way back in 2006.

And if you are saying that Shake It's content was Wario's victory theme, I think its much more likely that the Shake It music was based off Wario's victory theme rather than Shake It content being extrapolated into Brawl.
I think the best part is that Kojima was technically advertising what (for some) is considered to be the PS3's Killer App on Wii's Killer App. Plus, he made the Brawl Theme of Love exclusively for Brawl, THEN included it into MGS4 (replacing only "Brawl" with "Action", which is still pretty close, somewhat). Inadvertently he had also showcased one of the more dangerous enemies within the game, the Gekko. Ray and Rex were an equally amazing thing -- too bad we got no Snake Eater reference beyond the instrumental version of its theme song.

yani

Smash Lord
I actually really like the addition of ZSS. Love her down B hop thing :awesome:

edit- I'd like her to be selectable on the character screen though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I actually really like the addition of ZSS. Love her down B hop thing :awesome:
I'm probably the only one that feels like it could've been a more unique move. :p

But yeah, I love everyone in Brawl. They're all excellent characters, and I truly wish we got the last 7.

Yes, I want to play as Toon Sheik, and obviously Plusle & Minun.(I love the 3rd Gen!)

D

Deleted member

So can I.

Actually, I'd like if he made a stage that wasn't another remake of Brinstar Depths(Frigate Orpheon) and Brinstar/Planet Zebes(the other one).

Also, Zero Suit Samus' style was slightly similar to Sheik's, making it easier to program in general. Their body type is nearly identical. Also, he found Ridley best as a boss(clearly), and want to continue the Character Switch mechanics. All 3 versions are unique in themselves.

Zelda/Sheik requires eachother for optimal gameplay(or that's his idea), Pokemon Trainer uses Lag. And ZZS is Samus' faster half that you have to lose all your direct power to gain(normally), and get a Smash Ball to change back.

So it was a matter of uniqueness, I'd say. I think he's trying various character switch mechanics.
And planned on a 4th unique one of Diddy and Dixie. (It was speculated that they would work like the DKC games, where you switch the lead Kong.)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So can I.

My opinion is he probably did not seek or receive too much input from Retro and just included the opening stage as it might not have required extensive research on his part to develop a stage around that location. Maybe now, with more time having passed and with other Prime titles having been released there will be someone, if not himself, better familiarized with the game to create a more atmospheric stage reflective of the titles. The series have too many wonderful alien environments to relegate to a bland, uninteresting stage like Frigate Orpheon.

----
I'm thinking about doing a purely fun stage concept. One that I know is not likely, but would be great to see none the less. Typically I work around what is plausible, but in my head this stage is just too excellent to pass up! Plus it is choice I rarely, if ever, have seen suggested.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And planned on a 4th unique one of Diddy and Dixie. (It was speculated that they would work like the DKC games, where you switch the lead Kong.)
I'd actually consider that like switching between the Ice Climbers. I'd say the key difference is that you could stop Diddy and Dixie from switching with an attack.

Plus, Diddy's top tier, so...

bbl.

yani

Smash Lord
Yeah me too Hyper, I think Toon Zelda/Sheik would have been pretty cool. I'm glad Diddy & Dixie aren't together though. I want her to be her own character :)

Also - rumor - Mario Tennis 3DS = Mario Tennis Open - May 20th, 2012. HYPE.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
Time for me to head off for the night. I leave this final tid bit:

What if the Wii 2 (Am NOT putting the U there) could be just as easily hacked as the first one?

inb4 porting brawl characters to sm4sh

yani

Smash Lord
Hopefully it's true! It's from Gamefly though, so who knows.

We gotta play me when it comes out fo sho :cool:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Star: Yep! I want more than basic backgrounds. Look at FD!

@Yani: I wanted to play as them all. Although I do agree Dixie should be her own character. :grin:

Decemberist

Smash Cadet
Backreading is pretty interesting. Did I want to know that about HyperFalcon? Can't say that I do. Oh well.

Recent thoughts:
  • Wasn't Dark Link in Wind Waker? You fought him either right before or right after empowering the Master Sword in the that giant citadel, right?
  • A character from Sin&Punishment would be pretty excellent, actually. Or even a stage.
  • I hope Luigi's Mansion 2 gives Smash 4 Luigi an updated moveset.
  • In the information in the OP, Sakurai states that he had some limitations working with the Wii and that these limitations are nonexistent on the Wii U. Would be pretty nice to see Mewtwo and Roy return. I think Mewtwo is not outside of the realm of possibility, because he's probably the second most recognizable Pokemon behind Pikachu.
  • You can have Mewtwo and Lucario in the same game. They're based off the same template, but play much, much differently.
  • Sora from Kingdom Hearts looks like a really good fit, and KH has been on the DS a few times (although I'm contradicting myself by wanting a character solely because he was on a Nintendo console, though porting him would not require any real changes in said character).

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If the Mario Tennis game actually has the RPG feature that the GBC/GBA games had, then ALL OF MY MONEY DAMNIT!!!

Plus I really like the name and its release date

Skyleaf

Smash Cadet
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone. Sorry for all you boys in the thread, I WOULD be someone's Valentine for the sake of being friendly, buuut...
I'm into girls.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
On the surface, they may be similar, but Zamus has a much stronger emphasis on spacing than Sheik. Other than being a faster alter ego and having a dive kick, they don't have anything in common.

And I doubt body type plays that much of a role in ease of development. Otherwise, every single fighting game would give every male and female the exact same build. It seems more like a last resort than an efficient method.

Zelda/Sheik requires each other for optimal gameplay(or that's his idea), Pokemon Trainer uses Lag. And ZZS is Samus' faster half that you have to lose all your direct power to gain(normally), and get a Smash Ball to change back.

And they all seem to have failed in some shape or form.

And I'm still mad how the switch for Samus to Zamus is not only really unfair to mainers of either one of them, but is also blatantly contradicting canon.

BTW, here's my valentine for everyone.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, I wouldn't say that exactly, MO. He's calmed down on his Blog, probably got a warning from an Admin after I reported a rude post of his. But who knows.

Anyway, it's fine, Decemberist. I wasn't offended.

Skyleaf

Smash Cadet
I definitely fill the love in the air right now. Seriously guys, we're all pretty mellow and super kind.

Too bad it'll only last for a day, or two at most. q: Oh well, bathe in the fluffy sweetness!

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Indeed a Happy Valentines Day to all! :)

Yes, I want to play as Toon Sheik, and obviously Plusle & Minun.(I love the 3rd Gen!)
If Plusle & Minun made it, they would have definitely been my mains! It was upsetting to see Pichu go in Brawl. :( At least if these two made it, they would have replaced that loss for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom