• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pichu Fan

Smash Journeyman
One thing I really want with wii u controller- fighting in first person and third person options. Would be AWSOME. PK SPECULATION!

:phone:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Does anybody know offhand if Brawl contained any stages that came from games released after the time Brawl was in production?

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Hmmm... The only one I can think of is Spear Pillar. Diamond and Pear were released in April 2007 here in the States (Fall 2006 for the Japanese), and Brawl was already in development at that point.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hmmm... The only one I can think of is Spear Pillar. Diamond and Pear were released in April 2007 here in the States (Fall 2006 for the Japanese), and Brawl was already in development at that point.
I see. When did Brawl technically begin development? Was it not the Fall of 2005? Cannot remember when exactly; if so that would be about a year.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I see. When did Brawl technically begin development? Was it not the Fall of 2005? Cannot remember; if so that would be about a year.
It had to have been late 2005. They had that first trailer ready for E3 2006 (the one that revealed Wario, Pit, Meta Knight, Z. Suit Samus, and Snake), which means they were developing it before the Wii was released. In that case, Bridge of Eldin would be another stage that comes from a post-Brawl development game, since Twilight Princess Launched with the Wii in November 2006.

Twilight Princess was in the final stages of development as Brawl was starting, though, so that's not that big of a stretch.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It had to have been late 2005. They had that first trailer ready for E3 2006, which means they were developing it before the Wii was released. In that case, Bridge of Eldin would be another stage that comes from a post-Brawl development game, since Twilight Princess Launched with the Wii in November 2006.

Twilight Princess was in the final stages of development as Brawl was starting, though, so that's not that big of a stretch.
I am thinking the same thing. Twilight Princess was already far along so I do not think it was much of a mystery to anyone within Nintendo.

I am just trying to formulate a hypothetical cut off point where Sakurai took the most recent games and developed stages upon those games.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I am thinking the same thing. Twilight Princess was already far along so I do not think it was much of a mystery to anyone within Nintendo.

I am just trying to formulate a hypothetical cut off point where Sakurai took the most recent games and developed stages upon those games.

In that case, I think we can draw the conclusion that the cut off date was late 2006/early 2007. Spear Pillar is honestly the latest game I can think of that was released that had something as significant as a stage in Brawl. Galaxy only got a mention in the Chronicle (I think, if it even got that), and that was November 2007. I'm trying to work my way back toward early 2007 from there...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Twilight Princess was also a Gamecube game at first. They had plenty to go off of.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Spear Pillar? Technically it came from the latest game that was signicantly represented in Brawl, but D/P was in development for quite a while, heck it was announced back in late '04.

My guess is that the stage cut off is the same as the character cut off.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
In that case, I think we can draw the conclusion that the cut off date was late 2006/ early 2007. Spear Pillar is honestly the latest game I can think of that was released that had something as significant as a stage in Brawl. Galaxy only got a mention in the Chronicle (I think, if it even got that), and that was November 2007. I'm trying to work my way back toward early 2007 from there...
That makes sense, it would give Sakurai and his team enough time to coordinate with all of the different sub-companies and work out the rights for each series while researching and taking suggestions for material to add.

Hypothetically, if Sakurai is already beginning development than it is possible that any game released, or far along into development, prior to Spring 2013 still has the opportunity to lend material, whatever that may include, into Super Smash Bros 4. Pikmin 3, Luigi's Mansion 3DS, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Paper Mario 3DS, Animal Crossiing 3DS; those are about the only titles that come to mind currently in Nintendo's que that might lend themselves to stages or other items.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
That makes sense, it would give Sakurai and his team enough time to coordinate with all of the different sub-companies and work out the rights for each series while researching and taking suggestions for material to add.

Hypothetically, if Sakurai is already beginning development than it is possible that any game released, or far along into development, prior to Spring 2013 still has the opportunity to lend material, whatever that may include, into Super Smash Bros 4. Pikmin 3, Luigi's Mansion 3DS, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Paper Mario 3DS, Animal Crossiing 3DS; those are about the only titles that come to mind currently in Nintendo's que that might lend themselves to stages or other items.
You had me at Pikmin 3.

@--- When is the character cutoff exactly? I'm thinking Lucario. And since he had his whole movie thaaang going on, that means he was around during the summer of 2005, waaaaay before Brawl had started.

And again, we'd have to know when Sakurai was collaborating with the Pokemon team. I wouldn't think that they were at the point with Diamond and Pearl to include Spear Pillar until late 2005, so It seems like that might actually be the cutoff... Which makes me a sad Breadbug...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

You had me at "That makes sense" :troll:

But seriously, quite true. I hope to see a lot of this stuff incorporated.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here:

Eldin Bridge: Twilight Princess: November 2006
Spear Pillar: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: September 2006
New Pork City: Mother 3: April 2006

Those are the stages derived from the most recently release games.

I think the latest released game in which content was derived from The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, which was released in June 2007 in Japan, but only received a few stickers.

For songs, the most recently released game in which a song was derived from was Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, again released in June 2007.

So pretty much a half year away from the Brawl's release date was when content from recently released games stopped.

For characters the newest ones were:

Lucas: April 2006
Lucario: July 2005
Ike: April 2005

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
These are the most significant games that my mind can think of that have been published in the interim between Brawl and now.

Entire Wii line
Super Mario Galaxy 1&2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Metroid Prime 3 (maybe)
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid: Other M
Pokémon Platinum
Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Pokémon Black/White
Star Fox 64 3D
Punch Out!!
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Legendary Starfy
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Fossile Fighter
Pilotwings Resort
Xenoblade
The Last Story
Rhythm Heaven Fever

Here:

I think the latest released game in which content was derived from The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, which was released in June 2007 in Japan, but only received a few stickers.

For songs, the most recently released game in which a song was derived from was Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, again released in June 2007.

So pretty much a half year away from the Brawl's release date was when content from recently released games stopped.
Thanks!

Hmm... So significant material stopped by late 2006, but minor things like music and stickers still went on until the Summer of 2007.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Here:

Wow. I cannot believe I forgot about Mother 3.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Well I'm out. (Where's my sig T_T)

Have fun talkin about how they'll implent rhythm fever in smash 4 Lolz
(My guess is a sticker)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Twilight Princess Release date(s)

Wii
NA November 19, 2006
JP December 2, 2006
AU December 7, 2006
EU December 8, 2006

Nintendo GameCube
JP December 2, 2006
NA December 11, 2006
EU December 15, 2006
AU December 19, 2006

That is WIERD. The Gamecube version came out after the Wii version, except in Japan.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm a Transexual, dude.

But seriously, who are you apologizing to? If it's me, I could indeed be called a Princess. ...It's a joke.
That's.... surprising.

@Zero
Asage has been posting Maplestory emoticons for every single post of his for the last two days and no one's called him out. It's fine as far as I know.

@Starphoenix
Metroid Prime 3 was released in August 2007. I don't recall a single reference to it in Brawl. In fact, Brawl's Dark Samus trophy seemingly kept all the information on her a mystery when it had become known by release.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Have fun talkin about how they'll implent rhythm fever in smash 4 Lolz
(My guess is a sticker)
More like a stage. Given some of the other titles I posted it I feel even more confident in Sin and Punishment, Legendary Starfy and Golden Sun getting a stage in the next game. Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven seem like a given.

@Starphoenix
Metroid Prime 3 was released in August 2007. I don't recall a single reference to it in Brawl. In fact, Brawl's Dark Samus trophy seemingly kept all the information on her a mystery when it had become known by release.
That is why I said maybe. Given that Retro Studios are a Western company it is possible finding information was difficult for Sakurai, especially at that time. At least now we have both Corruption and Metroid Prime Trilogy in the mix.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't there were any games in Brawl that received content that were released later than June 2007 in Japan.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@Star Could you link me to your stage concept pages? I remember you concocting one for Built to Scale, and I effing love Rhythm Heaven (waiting for my copy of Fever to get here :D).

yani

Smash Lord
After an epic trophy hunt today, I have 543. Just need one more. WALUIGI. He's trolling me hardcore. :mad:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's keep in mind Metroid isn't terribly popular in Japan, so not referencing the latest game isn't entirely out of the question for Sakurai.

But most of the other games were, so...

*is hoping for some of Tingle's themes in SSB4*

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Let's keep in mind Metroid isn't terribly popular in Japan, so not referencing the latest game isn't entirely out of the question for Sakurai.
I think Metroid Prime 3 not getting any content had to do with that there were not any games that received content that were released later than June 2007 in Japan. Keep in mind Metroid Prime 3 was not even released until 2008 in Japan.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think Metroid Prime 3 not getting any content had to do with that there were not any games that received content that were released later than June 2007 in Japan. Keep in mind Metroid Prime 3 was not even released until 2008 in Japan.
To be fair, what I said wasn't unrealistic.

But true, timing and all.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
B-but... but the interactivity! D:

Anyway, I hope Smash 4 also gets minigames not based on fighting that are multiplayer.

Like... Race to the Finish. <_>

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Speaking of Metroid:

By show of virtual hands, who here hates Other M? I've played Metroid since Super Metroid, and I thought Other M was the best game (in the series or otherwise) that I've played in awhile. Of course, it isn't as raw and inspired as the Prime series, but I really don't get the hate for it. Team Ninja did a fantastic job making Samus really athletic and badass like she should be. If the narrative was really that troublesome, then I question the general public's ability to sit through videogames that have stories.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
@GiantBreadbug: Yeah, I enjoyed Other M as well. Sure, the story could've been better (like the total lack of mentioning Samus was raised by the Chozo and giving Adam all the credit) but gameplay was intense, solid, and fun. I do agree with people are going too harsh on the game (same goes with Urban Champion: I love the game but it has a huge hate base).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom