• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Ummm if we did that we would be too similar to SF...

If we had to I would only want to see Assist and maybe Air dashing but me Oso already said air dashing would have fit in melee.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yea but in a smash way, no way do I want something unique as Snash turning into another SF, with Smash balls rather than Super Meters.

:phone:

I actually like how unique Smash.

I never thought of a % system. That's actually unique. The thing I'll enjoy that could be in sm4sh would be assist.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
The more I think about it the more unlike Smash it sounds. Tag Team Smash? Defeats the purpose of the game having 3 or 4 player option when talking about teams.

I don't know. Assists seem to be the least out of place or unfit. It sounds cool but it's not a great idea if it's in smash.

I wonder.... Using the screen of the Wii U controller, is it possible to do more than 4 players? Will Sakurai implement it. It sounds awesome but it seems too much.

OmegaXXII

I guess that mode of "assist" would only be available during Team Battles of course, no way would such a feature be implemented in single Melee's, like you said it would defeat the purpose of single multiplayer.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least make him kill at a minimum of 200%. In brawl, he is capable of killing at 130%. Wtf.
KOing stuff at 130% isn't that uncommon. There are a decent number of characters who are not Meta Knight and Solid Snake who can pull that off.

I don't know. The only broken characters I know are MK and Not Snake Snake. The others are fine. There are some characters who need some serious buffing like Ganondorf
Ganondorf was a dissapointment, he was slow and nerfed as ****, he was horrible, hopefully Sora will significantly fix his issues along with a possible new set of moves.

I did mention an altered special moveset for Ganondorf, which involves him using a sword. He'd still be slow and restricted to being a close combat fighter with no projectiles, but that's to keep him from being imbalanced; the Triforce of Power would make his attacks quite strong after all.

For his Final Smash, he'll still change into Ganon, but it'll be an actual transformation instead of a mere attack.

I want Daisy to replace Peach. Daisy is prettier.
Peach is more iconic than Daisy. If you haven't noticed, Princess Peach appeared in more games than any other female character that has been made.

KOing stuff at 130% isn't that uncommon. There are a decent number of characters who are not Meta Knight and Solid Snake who can pull that off.
That's the point.

MK is suppose to be a weak but fast rush down character. He could kill in a percent as low as a powerful guy Snake which is really broken. The other sad part is that all of his match ups are generally in this favor.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's the point.

MK is suppose to be a weak but fast rush down character. He could kill in a percent as low as a powerful guy Snake which is really broken. The other sad part is that all of his match ups are generally in this favor.
Isn't that from mostly Meta Knight's neutral aerial though? I can see that for a reason to get burned up.

Neutral air and down smash. Also shuttle loop

About the video, those are controlled by CPUs right?

Off for now

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
yea the button layout is the same as the original classic besides the L, R, and the Zs.
but well i'll have to try it out. Theres one thing that i don't like though. That its wireless. -.- Thats not good for tournaments.
First of all. Wiimotes use bluetooth. Not 16 channel RF like the wavebird. Wireless should be much better.

Second, there is little to no hope of getting GC controllers back. Even if there was some adapter supporting it, The game devs would specifically have to program support in. Knowing Sakurai, he probably won't do that (He also had the choice to add SDHC support in brawl, which he PURPOSELY disabled)

I have a classic controller pro. It's nice and all, but you will have to relearn everything. It's not even remotely close to GC. Also, you will get tripped up by the LR and ZLR placement because LR is shield and ZLR is grab. Which is the opposite (layout-wise) of the GC controller.

And while you CAN remap it, I would recommend getting used to the actual layout, because if you are at a tourny and you don't have your button layout saved on your wiimote, you will have to use default.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
OWtf is he saying? MK can kill below 90, his defense is broken, his options are unlimited and he just use the same ones and you can't do anything about it, he gimps or ***** you offstage, and more.

Mariosonic do you play the competitively at all? Lol

I think he's talking about Snake or someone heavier.

MK is that broken lol. He can do worse than 130%.

Off for now

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Mk can kill snake earlier offstage than fox can kill snake on stage though :/

Besides snake himself fox kills him the earliest unless I'm forgtting someone.

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
Talking about assists what about the ones like in MvC1? Meaning they're not actually playable characters but they appear on screen doing something.

I see many not otherwise so well rounded characters could appear in gameplay. Dog Hunt Dog could run through the stage and jump in the background damaging anyone on his way. Excite Biker could speed through the stage. Balloon Fighter could fly around the stage for a while (if his body hits enemies they take damage but if they hit his balloons they break). Urban Champion Boy could walk through the stage punching everything on his way only to fall on the other side. Advance Wars platoon could appear at the edge of screen unleashing their attack and retreating. Pooyan could move up and down the edge of screen shooting one or two arrows...

I think MvC1 had around 50 of assists characters. You still only use 1 character but the assist is like a boost & mascot at once. I'd like to dare people here to come up with 50 ideas to see if it could work.

And I got to say the % damage is probably the best thing about the game. With simple health bars these games would be way worse. I like how death is almost never certain but neither is surviving. Although I guess competitive community would like the predictability health bars bring.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ummm if we did that we would be too similar to SF...

If we had to I would only want to see Assist and maybe Air dashing but me Oso already said air dashing would have fit in melee.
As I've said in the past, you would have to do a lot to make Smash too similar to SF. The fact that we have a different K.O. method, no actual health meters, DI, non-traditional blocking, varied stage designs, and a simplified moveset should be enough. Take those away and we do have problems.

When did I bring air dashing up with you? I thought it'd be a neat idea in the past, but now I'm not sure it's really needed in this kind of game unless you did something like Oni in SF.

For Assists, I think it'd be really cool if we used that for Assist Trophies so they aren't glorified Pokeballs where they're basically MvC1 assists.
Yea but in a smash way, no way do I want something unique as Snash turning into another SF, with Smash balls rather than Super Meters.

The big problem with Smash balls is that it shifts the focus away from the players to the Smash ball. With a meter, this is not the case.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I guess you're right, and we brought up air dashing back around the time smooh posted the zoning vid.

Omega, the competitive community has already tested smash balls and they appear closer to the player and also break easier for the losing player. :-/ hopefully they can fix that for the casuals.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, one thing that BlazBlue does is that while there are different meter gain values for each attack, the person who gets hit has a different rate. When the opponent has lower health, the meter they gain from received damage has an increased rate and can even gradually build over time.

Sometimes though, I can't help but wonder if us living in an age of political correctness has turned people into sore losers and whiners.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
With me being a Classic Controller user for Brawl, the lack of GameCube support isn't too troubling on my end. In fact, the only Wii title that I primarily use the GCN Controller with is Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that the Wii U Controller can be set up to work like the Classic Controller. It could also be used to control certain stage elements; there is my Rotohex stage plot.
You're not thinking tournament wise though. I know brawl is mainly casual, and I hope the next Smash Brothers isn't like that. I'm hoping for a melee like game with those high level techniques(wavedashing, L-canceling, shffling,Etc.) Even if Nintendo and Sakurai fail again with that, The Fans will make another project M :)
But anyways the classic controller and Wii U controller is not for tournaments it is wireless making it unusable. I hope they keep the gamecube controls or atleast make an adapter for it in usb (since theres 4 usb ports)

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff needs an overhaul on her Final Smash since it just sucks.

Jigglypuff
1. Hyper Voice - A soundwave around her expands out at a specific range.
2. Jigglypuff's Song - A steroid enhanced version of sing. As a shout out to the anime, she sings until it puts everyone to sleep. She gets ticked and then draws on the opponent's face with the whole thing ending on zooming in on the opponent's face to see what Jiggly drew.

I'm not sure about the others.
I know it's a bit old, but it's amazing!

D

Deleted member

berserker01 said:
I didn't notice SSBF's sig but you removed Jr.!?
I prefer Paper Mario to Bowser Jr.
berserker01 said:
If you noticed in the brawl poll, he put almost all the nintendo characters (A lot including the minor ones) and he checks which character had the most votes. That's how Ike and the others got in
When was that Brawl poll? If after E3 2012, I think the only one that got in due solely to popularity was Sonic.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I for one enjoy losing though, I get learn from my mistakes and get better. If I always won how would I know if I'm getting better.

Forreal a lot of people are babies when it comes to losing LOL. If you go to Allisbrawl, go into the chat, wait 5 mins. There is bound for someone to start *****ing about how they lost and how they **** their friends and would **** said person offline.

That's why I love wifi players they are the funniest, I just go to allisbrawl now to start fights and fuel them when I see them LOL

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
First of all. Wiimotes use bluetooth. Not 16 channel RF like the wavebird. Wireless should be much better.

Second, there is little to no hope of getting GC controllers back. Even if there was some adapter supporting it, The game devs would specifically have to program support in. Knowing Sakurai, he probably won't do that (He also had the choice to add SDHC support in brawl, which he PURPOSELY disabled)

I have a classic controller pro. It's nice and all, but you will have to relearn everything. It's not even remotely close to GC. Also, you will get tripped up by the LR and ZLR placement because LR is shield and ZLR is grab. Which is the opposite (layout-wise) of the GC controller.

And while you CAN remap it, I would recommend getting used to the actual layout, because if you are at a tourny and you don't have your button layout saved on your wiimote, you will have to use default.
I always use a default button layout. I don't play brawl whatsoever(cuz i hate it with a passion) I will hope for an adapter for gamecube controllers and hopefully the next smash will be like Melee. :)
But well if Nintendo doesn't care as always, Madcatz should do something about this hopefully.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
The game won't like melee at all LOL the man said he wants it to be different than all others, that statement by itselfs says it all, and as overkill to the thought he said he is using brawl's engine as he starting point.

D

Deleted member

What do you think is the most important factor in deciding characters? Popularity, importance, relevance, or sales?

I think importance is the most important factor in deciding characters. Popularity alone will not get a character in, as shown in Melee, you don't have to appear in the latest game to be considered, and sales is the most overrated as I doubt Sakurai cares about sales that much (He considered Takamaru after Melee despite the original game selling poorly and picked Pit over Takamaru despite the GBA version of Kid Icarus selling worse then The Mysterious Murasame Castle). Importance to a franchise, on the other hand, is undoubtedly important and as Nintendo is about All-Star character, many characters will be picked based off how important they are to their respective series.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Learn to accept because I have as a melee player. There Won't be a Melee 2.0 and if you really feel that strongly about a Melee 2.0, play project M.

Edit: ssbf, sales and popularity. Imo

OmegaXXII

@xIblisx: I doubt we'll ever be getting an exact copy of Melee, but I do believe it can be better than Brawl where in some ways it could improve, not saying Brawl was a bad game, just some of the character like Meta-Knight seemed very broken while others like Ganon were pathetically slow and nerfed.

I believe if Sora takes their time and doesn't rush through this I believe it could improve dramatically.

@SSBFan: I believe that popularity +importance is what Sakurai uses as a factor for deciding, he won't won't choose a character such as a generic Goomba even though he's known because like you said he isn't "all-star" material, also the character has to be popular enough to even be considered, he isn't going bother putting a character that didn't even make it into the polls, such an example would be Sonic, he was considered and was added late in development due to fans highly demanding him since he's popular.

@

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
The game won't like melee at all LOL the man said he wants it to be different than all others, that statement by itselfs says it all, and as overkill to the thought he said he is using brawl's engine as he starting point.

I know its sad right? :( I hope eventually we see an HD remake of Melee with the same mechanics and all.
Sakurai said he'd start from brawl's point he didn't say the same engine son. We'll see what can happen hopefully its something good this time.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
@Omega: We need to slow characters! This make the balanced game! think about it, if Ganondorf was fast no one could escape the incredible strength of it, and if for example, if Fox were slow it would be rubbish! The high speed makes characters bad into good and low, make almost invincible characters becomes on average and jigglypuffs in jigglypuffs! This balances the game!

Hoots

Can Be Combative
@Omega: We need to slow characters! This make the balanced game! think about it, if Ganondorf was fast no one could escape the incredible strength of it, and if for example, if Fox were slow it would be rubbish! The high speed makes characters bad into good and low, make almost invincible characters becomes on average and jigglypuffs in jigglypuffs! This balances the game!
That being said, speed is all relative. All that matters is how fast everyone is compares to everyone else. This can also lead to imbalance. Why is Captain Falcon so bad? They wanted Sonic to be the fastest character in the gane so they had to drop Falcon down a few notches(among other things), making him essentially horrible.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
That being said, speed is all relative. All that matters is how fast everyone is compares to everyone else. This can also lead to imbalance. Why is Captain Falcon so bad? They wanted Sonic to be the fastest character in the gane so they had to drop Falcon down a few notches(among other things), making him essentially horrible.

said it all!

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
I'm glad snake and sonic won't be coming back. :) and I hope Brawl doesn't either.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Lol omega, you just agreed with me.

@nine: who said they weren't coming back? Also read that article again, where is a starting point without the engine?

OmegaXXII

You have a point there, but what I was referring to is Ganon was horribly nerfed in Brawl, no way that he needed to be that way, but I don't mind him being slow if you put it that way, as it would create an imbalance, I just think he could have been better than he turned out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom