• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
My Options for 3rd party characters
Megaman
Slime and Chocobo
Black Mage
Travis Touchdown

Prof.Layton

That's all that comes to mind

edit: I want 49 characters 51 with form changes

:phone:
I agree with the rest except those two, I don't see Black Mage as probable, if anything we might get Chocobo first as far as Square (not Square-Enix) goes, Travis Touchdown? Men.. I don't know much about him, nor is he requested enough.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Movesets have become increasingly interesting, mainly due to new mechanics being added into Smash that moves can be made from.

What is a bit frustrating is how every non-Special attack is shoved under the rug as something generic that can be filled with anything. Smashes, tilts, aerials, and throws can be unique as well with some effort, but that's just it...effort needs to be distributed everywhere throughout a moveset. Specials are just the flashiest moves that tie everything together.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I see a lot of Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy stuff suggested here...I'll leave you all to rate and suggest whoever, but might I remind you how seriously Sakurai takes third party characters. We've only ever gotten third parties who are immensely popular, or who have stemmed from creators who are friends with Sakurai. Characters who, while having ties to Nintendo, aren't -that- popular, aren't going to be asked and paid for, and included, just to make a splash.
SquareEnix characters are a much bigger deal in Japan. In the West they may not be as requested as other particular characters. But it isn't as though their (SquareEnix) properties' are completely foreign.

[COLLAPSE="Famitsu’s top 50 favorite video game characters"]

1. Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
2. Mario
3. Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)
4. Slimes (Dragon Quest)

5. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
6. Link (Zelda)
7. Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vespersia)
8. Amaterasu (Okami)
9. Pikachu (Pokemon)
10. Sonic[/COLLAPSE]

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Fill me in on something here. Who's Professor Layton?

@Omega
I'll start with you: What would your "realistic" roster consist of? List series, number of, and names of characters. Have someone on there people may be confused about? Feel free to explain why you think they would be good choices.

No time limit, but when you post your response, please KEEP THIS TOPIC GOING. Thank you.:)

D

Deleted member

I see a lot of Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy stuff suggested here...I'll leave you all to rate and suggest whoever, but might I remind you how seriously Sakurai takes third party characters. We've only ever gotten third parties who are immensely popular, or who have stemmed from creators who are friends with Sakurai. Characters who, while having ties to Nintendo, aren't -that- popular, aren't going to be asked and paid for, and included, just to make a splash.
Slime is among the most popular requests in Japan for a playable third-party character.

Slime also has the potential to be a very highly requested third-party character worldwide and if that happens and relationship with Nintendo continues very well, Slime may get in.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
*shrug* It's something in their favor, but unless I see Japanese popularity play a major factor in the inclusion of a third party, I'm remaining skeptic. It could happen, but I'm not buying that every third party character with popularity, ever, is a shoe-in. Heck, it's arguable that America has the upper hand in deciding third parties, after Sonic's situation.

OmegaXXII

Movesets have become increasingly interesting, mainly due to new mechanics being added into Smash that moves can be made from.
This is what makes Smash interesting as well, I truly see some mechanics and unique sets for specific characters as well.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
No time limit, but when you post your response, please KEEP THIS TOPIC GOING. Thank you.:)
You have my respect for expressing that. Omega can get sidetracked pretty easily.

Which reminds me, do you have a computer Meggy?

OmegaXXII

Which reminds me, do you have a computer Meggy?
Not yet, I'm almost getting home so I will.

Fill me in on something here. Who's Professor Layton?

@Omega
I'll start with you: What would your "realistic" roster consist of? List series, number of, and names of characters. Have someone on there people may be confused about? Feel free to explain why you think they would be good choices.

Okay, you brought my attention, I will need to do this on my computer, just remind me in about half an hour lol..

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
*shrug* It's something in their favor, but unless I see Japanese popularity play a major factor in the inclusion of a third party, I'm remaining skeptic. It could happen, but I'm not buying that every third party character with popularity, ever, is a shoe-in. Heck, it's arguable that America has the upper hand in deciding third parties, after Sonic's situation.
To be honest third party characters are such a volatile thing that trying to pin anything down is impossible. We are not even sure that the two guest characters we have will return.

Sonic was pretty much a universal request. The only reason I have brought up Dragon Quest in the past (since I'm seen as the pioneer of the Dragon Quest movement in this thread) is due to Nintendos interest and commitment to the series. For whatever reason Nintendo loves this series. Going through the trouble of publishing titles in the West even above some of their own, such as Xenoblade. So that has usually been the basis of my argument. I've gone into lengthier discourses over that particular series, but I'm just giving the summation.

Just things worth thinking about. Tis all...

@SSBF:

You set yourself in a very bad situation. Hope you can defend yourself. lol

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

What is a bit frustrating is how every non-Special attack is shoved under the rug as something generic that can be filled with anything. Smashes, tilts, aerials, and throws can be unique as well with some effort, but that's just it...effort needs to be distributed everywhere throughout a moveset. Specials are just the flashiest moves that tie everything together.
Definitely agree with you there. Normals are what you (should) use the most, so they should be where a character's individuality truly shines. Specials tend to be an afterthought when I think of a moveset... :awesome:

Apparently Sakurai has said he places "utmost importance" on character individuality. CLEARLY THAT IS NOT ENOUGH.

...If I may ask, what potential characters excite you the most with their moveset possibilities?

For whatever reason Nintendo loves this series.
I'm sure it has something to do with DQ being so popular that SE has to release new iterations on the weekends so EVERYONE doesn't skip out on work.

OmegaXXII

To be honest third party characters are such a volatile thing that trying to pin anything down is impossible. We are not even sure that the two guest characters we have will return.

Sonic was pretty much a universal request. The only reason I have brought up Dragon Quest in the past (since I'm seen as the pioneer of the Dragon Quest movement in this thread) is due to Nintendos interest and commitment to the series. For whatever reason Nintendo loves this series. Going through the trouble of publishing titles in the West even above some of their own, such as Xenoblade. So that has usually been the basis of my argument. I've gone into lengthier discourses over that particular series, but I'm just giving the summation.

Just things worth thinking about. Tis all...
Well too be quite frank I'd say even 3rd party characters like Sonic and Snake could be cut at Sakurai's discretion, no 3rd party characters are guaranteed whatsoever, of course i believe we'll at least get Sonic but i also would mind seeing another Nintendo all-star in it's place instead.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Characters that excite me are characters that can't possibly become clones, or even share remotely similar moves.

This is why I endorse K. Rool to the extent that I do, as well as Ridley, Isaac, Megaman, etc.

The exception to this is Bowser Jr. over Toad...Bowser Jr. could potentially bring more to the table than spawning bombs and Mario Karts and vegetables and propellers, but because he could become a clone, I'm worried for this potential and likelihood.

OmegaXXII

Hey, sorry if I'm being off-topic, but do you think the we'll be able to transfer Wii's data - such as saves, VCgames, Miis, etc. - to WiiU?
Well I'm guessing a USB function might be introduced?? I think saves can already be done so through SD cards right?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Saves yes

However there isn't a clear cut way that Nintendo will be able to tell whether the transfers are genuine.

Perhaps if you (being an adult) were to register your purchases over an official account? Seems a bit of a hassle for Nintendo to go through.

Off topic: That new SF x Tekken promo is surprisingly charismatic, will be needin them games throughout Nintendo's dry periods here.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Characters that excite me are characters that can't possibly become clones, or even share remotely similar moves.

This is why I endorse K. Rool to the extent that I do, as well as Ridley, Isaac, Megaman, etc.

The exception to this is Bowser Jr. over Toad...Bowser Jr. could potentially bring more to the table than spawning bombs and Mario Karts and vegetables and propellers, but because he could become a clone, I'm worried for this potential and likelihood.
I would say Bowser Jr. could probably be THE most unique character in Smash. That freaking PAINTBRUSH.

HIS MOVES PAINT WRITE THEMSELVES.

Surely with just the tiniest bit of research, if that is even NECESSARY, Sakurai would take note of that? D: I mean, more than anything else, when it comes to adding characters he really has the opportunity to ADD to the game. ADD TO THE FUN...

AAAA I dunno, but I worry about Jr. too.

OmegaXXII

Well, I hope we can somehow transfer at least the things that you bought at Wii Shop.
I think it might be a possibility, considering VC might come back[and even be expanded[yes, I'm talking about GC]] for the WiiU.
Yes, you are in luck, I read an article that there will be GNC games for the Wii-U as DLC.

Off topic: That new SF x Tekken promo is surprisingly charismatic, will be needin them games throughout Nintendo's dry periods here.
Agreed, El Fuerte needs to show up so kuma can do some mighty combos. :cool:

vicgur

Smash Ace
Saves yes
However there isn't a clear cut way that Nintendo will be able to tell whether the transfers are genuine.
Perhaps if you (being an adult) were to register your purchases over an official account? Seems a bit of a hassle for Nintendo to go through.
I hope they find a way. I spent some good money in lots of VC games.

Yes, you are in luck, I read an article that there will be GNC games for the Wii-U as DLC.
Will I finally be able to play Eternal Darkness!? I like the sound of that.

--wait, how are we supposed to play GC games in WiiU if it doesn't support GC controllers?
Oh, no! Not the rumble-less Classic Controller!!

OmegaXXII

Yeah, just like the PS3 has their account history setting, I believe the Wii-U should do something similar, just provide account details, it shows the history of what you bought, and simply lets you re-download them to the new system, I think this could be a way I guess.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Agreed, El Fuerte needs to show up so kuma can do some mighty combos. :cool:
True dat, we'd never hear the end of it from him.

I feel u on that note, though I wouldn't put it past them not to

It would be nice to be able to use new school controllers on games you've already paid for, that is if they make some new versions (they'd better >:| )

Which reminds me, I owned 3 GC controllers by the time of DKC Returns. One Wii mote plus two brothers equaled a lot of pad passing.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Like the guy from Asia once said, "only time will tell".

I need some WiiU details or I think I will freak out! :scared:
Not major details, not big details... Just details...
I would be happy, even if the only detail is the number of new noses in Mii Channel

OmegaXXII

Will I finally be able to play Eternal Darkness!? I like the sound of that.

--wait, how are we supposed to play GC games in WiiU if it doesn't support GC controllers?
Oh, no! Not the rumble-less Classic Controller!!
Well, for the time being i'm guessing the Classic Controller Pro, hopefully Nintendo or a 3rd Party manufacturer will think of a solution with this in mind.

True dat, we'd never hear the end of it from him.
Yup, all we need is that confirmation and its game time!!!

OmegaXXII

we should be getting details by Christmas or before
I doubt any major details about the Wii-U will be announced, maybe just it's games, any other announcements I believe will be held until e3 2012 along with a possible e3 Smash 4 Wii-U and 3DS trailer which will be one of the biggest e3's yet if it happens.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11747438&postcount=3

My own Jr. moveset. This one isn't insanely over the top...a lot of people have become brainwashing by the simplicity of Sakurai movesets into thinking that anything unique is too much. Yes, these movesets require conscious thought to play as...what else is new?
Oh yes, I really liked that one. Helped me see the POTENTIAL. I was thinking he could also change the type of goop for added effects, and draw on the 2D plane you fight on? Like you're drawing on the screen? (Hey, maybe that'd look neat on the 3DS)

...Maybe I should do up my own sometime. THOUGH I HAVEN'T LOOKED AROUND FOR OTHER JR. SETS. Also I'm no writer, lolol. U3U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom