• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
What do you mean? Of course jiggs is more iconic in Smash along with pikachu since they have both represented the series since SSB64, I didn't mean in Pokemon in general :/
You meant just in Smash? Lol, I thought you meant Pokemon in general, I totally agree then.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I've been thinking about something that came to mind today. I don't think Sakurai looks at the sales of a series; I think he looks at its entries. Which would explain more of the decisions he has made when it comes to the roster. That may sound a little strange, or even contradictory in some ways.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I've been thinking about something that came to mind today. I don't think Sakurai looks at the sales of a series, I think he looks at its entries. Which would explain more of the decisions he has made when it comes to the roster.
What is it that came to mind?? elabotrate you're thoughts!!

Also, glad to see you here, <333333

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I've been thinking about something that came to mind today. I don't think Sakurai looks at the sales of a series; I think he looks at its entries. Which would explain more of the decisions he has made when it comes to the roster. That may sound a little strange, or even contradictory in some ways. But when you think about what I said it is actually quite different than you think.
I actually thought of this a while back. You could probably elaborate on this better than I could, so please post your thoughts!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I've been thinking about something that came to mind today. I don't think Sakurai looks at the sales of a series; I think he looks at its entries. Which would explain more of the decisions he has made when it comes to the roster. That may sound a little strange, or even contradictory in some ways.
Explain. I get he doesn;t soley think of sales, but to not think of them at all? I don't think so.

On another note:
lol. Is all I can say.

OmegaXXII

Omega, I cut out Jigglypuff even though I main her in Melee and Brawl, I want to play as new Pokemon. There are over 600 Pokemon and Sakurai/Nintendo is forcing me to stick with just Pikachu and Jigglypuff for all future Smash games? The fans want the 1st gen starters, Mewtwo, Lucario to be in all future Smash games... meaning there are no new Pokemon for me to play with. Oh, wait... there's Zoroark and Victini and the 5th gen starters... but then there are too many playable Pokemon in SSB4 which the fans will complain about. So, I cut Lucario, 1st gen starters, and Jigglypuff to make room for these new Pokemon.

I do not want SSB4 to look like this:

Pikachu (stays because it is the mascot)
Jigglypuff (stays because fans will be mad if she got cut)
Mewtwo (returns due to fan demand)
1st gen starters (stays because fans will be mad if they got cut)
Lucario (stays because fans will be mad if he got cut)
Zoroark (adds because it is the flavor of the month)

And I most certainly do not want SSB5 to look like this:

Mewtwo (stays because fans will be mad if he got cut again)
Zoroark (stays because fans will be mad if he got cut)
6th or 7th gen Pokemon (adds because it is the flavor of the month)

And I don't want SSB6 to look like this:

Mewtwo (stays because fans will be mad if he got cut again)
Zoroark (stays because fans will be mad if he got cut)
6th or 7th gen Pokemon (stays because fans will be mad if he/she got cut)
7th or 8th or 9th gen Pokemon (adds because it is the flavor of the month)

See where I am going with this? Character cuts need to happen to make room for new characters. I know there is no logic for cutting characters but that's what needs to happen with the Pokemon series since that series has over 600 (and that number is growing) Pokemon to choose from.

Oh, and I am sure Jigglypuff's fanbase is much larger than Meowth's because it's playable in Smash games. Mewtwo's fanbase is much bigger than Jigglypuff's despite being playable in one Smash game. Any character who ever becomes playable in a Smash game will see their fanbase grow. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Tingle becomes popular in America if he ever becomes playable in Smash 4.
Well, Tingle will only become popular only if he gets considered for smash 4, which I won't deny because he clearly has a realistic chance at it.

As for jiggs, well, if it means to make room for a new Pokemon then I guess i see logic in that, but don't you think Sakurai would use that slot where mewtwo or lucario will otherwise occupy a slot?

I do agree agree though, since jiggs was indeed threading a fine line in Brawl then it would make perfect sense, it only depends whether or not Sakuran deems jiggs to be gone or not which at the moment i'm having doubts about but not as much since she was bound to get cut from Brawl anyhow.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Explain. I get he doesn;t soley think of sales, but to not think of them at all? I don't think so.

On another note:
lol. Is all I can say.
No, I think sales play very little, if any, factor in his character decision making process. Entries and sales go hand and hand, so the case can be made that in an inverse way sales do affect the selection process. The point being Sakurai does not specifically hinge a characters inclusion or exclusion upon sales. Otherwise you would have trouble explaining the amount of Star Fox characters and Earthbound according to the criteria of "sales only". Although there are still other factors that go into it. Looking at Sakurai's process by which he develops sales seem to play a very small role in that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What do you mean lol, you don't like Jigglypuff?

I honestly would like to see Meowth in it's place but I'm kinda doubting his inclusion this late in the series.
But with that negative attitude, I can see why Meowth isn't going to be in Smash at all. More and more people are giving up on Meowth out of despair/doubt. If more people kept on supporting Meowth after he was deconfirmed in Brawl, he would have stood a better chance against the likes of Zoroark and Victini. I am not a closet Meowth supporter. I make my voice heard on the Internet for Meowth. I mean, people kept on supporting Ridley, Geno, Isaac, etc. after they were deconfirmed in Brawl and they still have a good chance (not so much for Geno but at least he has a loud voice on the Internet). If Meowth isn't included in SSB4, I think there ought to be an "Operation Meowth" movement of some sort for SSB5...

OmegaXXII

Arcadenik said:
I am not a closet Meowth supporter. I make my voice heard on the Internet for Meowth. I mean, people kept on supporting Ridley, Geno, Isaac, etc. after they were deconfirmed in Brawl and they still have a good chance (not so much for Geno but at least he has a loud voice on the Internet). If Meowth isn't included in SSB4, I think there ought to be an "Operation Meowth" movement of some sort for SSB5...
There ought to be an Operation right now, don't you think? by the time more supporters come here a massive group could be established, of course it may be too late since Sakurai is probably planning ideas as we speak since development is scheduled to start next month.

But nonetheless, I would like to see meowth it's just that I'm not confident enough since I hardly ever see support for him here aside from you.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
But with that negative attitude, I can see why Meowth isn't going to be in Smash at all. More and more people are giving up on Meowth out of despair/doubt. If more people kept on supporting Meowth after he was deconfirmed in Brawl, he would have stood a better chance against the likes of Zoroark and Victini. I am not a closet Meowth supporter. I make my voice heard on the Internet for Meowth. I mean, people kept on supporting Ridley, Geno, Isaac, etc. after they were deconfirmed in Brawl and they still have a good chance (not so much for Geno but at least he has a loud voice on the Internet). If Meowth isn't included in SSB4, I think there ought to be an "Operation Meowth" movement of some sort for SSB5...
Meowth is going to have to take a back seat so big boy Mewtwo can return. lol

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am not confident about Meowth's chances, too... but that shouldn't stop me from being the only one who actively supports Meowth around here. :p I have been emailing Nintendo several times requesting for Meowth's inclusion as a playable character in SSB4. I know nothing probably will happen but at least I am trying. :(

Thanks for reminding me, Starphoenix... I think people forgot all about Meowth by shifting their support to Mewtwo. If Mewtwo didn't get cut from Brawl, those same people would have been more supportive for Meowth. :glare:

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Meowth is going to have to take a back seat so big boy Mewtwo can return. lol
Indeed :)

I like Jiggs and all but, Arcadenik is right, there are too many Pokemon now and the more sequels we get, the more Pokemon will have a chance to be repped, so if Jiggs gets cut it was for another Pokemon, whether shes original or not.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I am not confident about Meowth's chances, too... but that shouldn't stop me from being the only one who actively supports Meowth around here. :p I have been emailing Nintendo several times requesting for Meowth's inclusion as a playable character in SSB4. I know nothing probably will happen but at least I am trying. :(

Thanks for reminding me, Starphoenix... I think people forgot all about Meowth by shifting their support to Mewtwo. If Mewtwo didn't get cut from Brawl, those same people would have been more supportive for Meowth. :glare:
Just another reason why Mewtwo should never have gotten cut from Brawl...

Meowth still has a sliver of hope as a DLC character, though.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's just hope that Sakurai isn't lazy with the DLC and make the DLC characters semi-clones of existing characters just to throw us a bone.

OmegaXXII

Let's just hope that Sakurai isn't lazy with the DLC and make the DLC characters semi-clones of existing characters just to throw us a bone.
Let's hope so, I really do want to see Pichu and possibly Roy back without them being clones, as for Dr. Mario, meh...I'd rather see him as Mario's alternate costume, still a unique moveset would be nice if a costume alternate were to be implemented.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Have Nintendo ever done DLC in any of their games? If so, what were they and what games?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I like Jiggs and all but, Arcadenik is right, there are too many Pokemon now and the more sequels we get, the more Pokemon will have a chance to be repped, so if Jiggs gets cut it was for another Pokemon, whether shes original or not.
Okay, with five slots, you can make an interesting roster WITH Jiggs.

Pikachu, Jigglypuff, 3rd Gen trainer, Zoroark/Victini, Mewtwo.

You're all just scared to lose Pokemon Trainer Red.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, this is a b****.
Possibly, characters made by someone who doesn't work for Nintendo anymore...
I'm not really the best person to talk about it, because I pretty much suck at stuff like that. But I think some characters created by, let's say, Rare[DKCountry characters, for example] can still be a little problematic to Nintendo.
I dunno, gonna pass it to someone who really knows this stuff.
I don't think Rare is an issue. IIRC, when Nintendo sold Rare, they were transferred the rights all characters within the Donkey Kong and Starfox series that were made by Rare. This is how Diddy and Krystal, among others, appeared in future titles following the selling.

OmegaXXII

Have Nintendo ever done DLC in any of their games? If so, what were they and what games?
They've never done it, it was intended for games like Guitar hero and such but they found difficulty doing so, so they ended up scrapping the idea completely.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Shortie

It sounds like you are saying the Pokemon roster cannot be interesting WITHOUT Jigglypuff. Are you scared to lose Jigglypuff? :awesome:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@ Shortie

It sounds like you are saying the Pokemon roster cannot be interesting WITHOUT Jigglypuff. Are you scared to lose Jigglypuff? :awesome:
Yeah. It's stupid to cut one of the founding characters when you have someone like Lucario or PT who has significantly less history with the series. It's like cutting Peach, but keeping Daisy. It makes no sense.

If the roster can be done well, without losing a staple character (Which it definitely can) maybe you should rethink who gets cut. The Pokemon roster can be interesting without her, but shouldn't not have her.

Someone once brought up that Nintendo doesn't like DLC because they like "to release a game when it's finished". Although I'm not sure if that was just a sassy excuse for not doing DLC in the past.

3rd Gen Trainer?

I'd rather take N or Giovanni thank you very much.
Yes. More of what we need. First Generation and two fifth generations. :awesome:

Fobmescs

Smash Cadet
@ Shortie

I'm not scared of Jigglypuff. In fact, everyone's not scared of any Pokémon.

OmegaXXII

All of those daily videos, snapshots and stages. Yeah, that was DLC my friend. It may not be what you want or had expected. None the less it was what it was.
Huh? Weren't those just development shots though? y'know progression of what the game was turning out like? The only DLC part about it is that if was given to use on the DOJO and we "absorbed" the information given to us by it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Huh? Weren't those just development shots though? y'know progression of what the game was turning out like? The only DLC part about it is that if was given to use on the DOJO and we "absorbed" the information given to us by it.
I'm talking about the daily WiFi updates in Brawl. Where everyday was a different snapshot, custom stage and replay. That is what I'm talking about.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I think Star meant the Smash Service for Brawl's online...

DLC should be all of the characters that were cut in melee and brawl with new movesets ...........except pichu :D
I liked Pichu. :urg:

OmegaXXII

I'm not scared of Jigglypuff. In fact, everyone's not scared of any Pokémon.
Nonsence, I don't want Lucario since he may be considered OVER Mewtwo, Mewtwo's inclusion over Lucario isn't guaranreed at all, this is saying if Sakurai even considers both (or any) of these two choices.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think Star meant the Smash Service for Brawl's online...

I liked Pichu. :urg:

Pichu is definitely a cool cat. I stand by the Rain Dance idea I had. Him being a weak character that gets an electrical power boost while rain is in effect. I figure, Raindance, Zap cannon, thunderwave and volt switch would be an interesting moveset.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Both characters aren't that bad. I've grown fond of Zoroark because he sort of looks like a mean opossom. Victini is sort of interesting.

NO! No way! I refuse to believe that that mangy fox is an opossum! We need a REAL opossum Pokemon! Random Gen VI Opossum Pokemon for SSB4!

On a serious note, what do you guys feel the chances of Muddy Mole appearing are? Since Sukapon is kinda down for the count now, he'd be my choice for a throwback WTF character.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Pichu is definitely a cool cat. I stand by the Rain Dance idea I had. Him being a weak character that gets an electrical power boost while rain is in effect. I figure, Raindance, Zap cannon, thunderwave and volt switch would be an interesting moveset.
Hey, I like this idea a lot, but one question, how long would the rain from Rain Dance last?

OmegaXXII

I'm talking about the daily WiFi updates in Brawl. Where everyday was a different snapshot, custom stage and replay. That is what I'm talking about.
Whoops, my bad, I never played it back then using wi-fi so I wouldn't know of such a thing, okay maybe the custom stages and such do apply.

pikmingrapeandrape

Smash Cadet

NO! No way! I refuse to believe that that mangy fox is an opossum! We need a REAL opossum Pokemon! Random Gen VI Opossum Pokemon for SSB4!

On a serious note, what do you guys feel the chances of Muddy Mole appearing are? Since Sukapon is kinda down for the count now, he'd be my choice for a throwback WTF character.
I think muddy is cool, but I would personally wanto see either the sheriff or a unique duck hunt dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom