• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
What's bad about Ridley? Even if he can't work for Smash Bros. (hecan), he is a great choice for a Metroid rep, extremely popular, and just one darn cool character in his series.
I knew someone would pop that question at me...

Look, I have nothing against Ridley. He's a great character, honestly. It's just that I can't see him playable in Smash Bros. Why? Unfortunately, I have to bring up the size issue; he's MASSIVE. I know they can reduce him to be the same size as Bowser and Donkey Kong, but... I don't know; to me, that just wouldn't look right. I'm sorry, but... I just can't see it working.

If it can work, however, and Ridley becomes playable, you all have my permission to PM me and rub it in my face. Fair?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Whelp, I'm just about done with my script------

@Swang: Dude, you seriously can't see Ridley working? Almost everybody here (including myself) will disagree with that.

Oasis, shows him the light.
:phone:

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I knew someone would pop that question at me...

Look, I have nothing against Ridley. He's a great character, honestly. It's just that I can't see him playable in Smash Bros. Why? Unfortunately, I have to bring up the size issue; he's MASSIVE. I know they can reduce him to be the same size as Bowser and Donkey Kong, but... I don't know; to me, that just wouldn't look right. I'm sorry, but... I just can't see it working.

If it can work, however, and Ridley becomes playable, you all have my permission to PM me and rub it in my face. Fair?
I'd never rub Ridley's existence in your face - I wasn't angry. I just disagree with Ridley not working in Smash Bros.

Fair. I respect your opinion.

D

Deleted member

@JavaCroc: I would have absolutely loved the roster and would be totally satisfied with the total outcome.

As for what I would have predicted if the fake roster was true:
Super Mario Bros.:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.*

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool*

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Wario:
Wario
Ashley*

The Legend of Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf*
Toon Link*
Midna*

Metroid:
Samus
Ridley
Dark Samus*

Kirby:
Kirby
Meta-Knight
King Dedede

Star Fox:
Fox
Krystal
Wolf*

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo*
Zoroark/Victini*

F-zero:
Captain Falcon
Black Shadow*

Earthbound:
Ness
Lucas
Masked Man*

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Ike
Micaiah*

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Palutena
Medusa*

Pikmin:
Olimar

Retro:
Ice Climbers
Takamaru
Mr. Game & Watch*
R.O.B.*
Duck Hunt Dog*

New Series:
Little Mac
Isaac
Starfy
Saki Amamiya*

Third-Party:
Snake*
Sonic*
Mega Man*

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@JavaCroc: It's not much of a game because we'd still be suggesting many of the same characters as we do now. Starfy, Isaac, Saki, Ray, Little Mac, Zoroark, Goroh, Medusa... uh... Falco apparently. ETC.

@Ridley stuff: It's just strange that you'd concede he'd be a great character, but would suggest he be removed from others' rosters over something as trivial as size. People have good reason to put him on their prediction lists, lol.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Actually I liked that other fake list better. Surprisingly it is the more believable.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
It's just strange that you'd concede he'd be a great character, but would suggest he be removed from others' rosters over something as trivial as size. People have good reason to put him on their prediction lists, lol.
I don't know what else to say, dude. I really don't.

D

Deleted member

In terms of realism, definitely true. But quite honestly, I think Brawl's final roster turned out better then what the first alternate roster had. For one, I would not have liked the addition of Knuckles and two, it completely lacks in Pokemon diversity (Just 1st gen, no Lucario); among other things.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
@SSBFan: Thanks for responding. The roster I posted is slim on new franchises (Olimar and his Pikmin being the only new franchises reps) and heavy on others (three Mother characters), but overall it would have been an improvement over Brawl's roster.

As for your prediction, it's realistic. All of the major franchises would have got all the rep they need according to this fake Brawl roster - there would be little to no need to change them again. Maybe add a sixth Mario and Pokemon character or even Kamek since Yoshi would be the lonely returning SSB franchise with no additional reps, but otherwise this would be a decent prediction if this fake roster was in fact Brawl's roster.

How so...?
Sorry, I understand you like constructive criticism. :p

It makes sense. Even though I fall for the trap myself, I dislike how everyone says "Sakurai would do this", "Sakurai created this", "It's Sakurai's bias", etc. Sakurai is not the only person making this game - we need to take into account the whole Smash Bros. development team, any companies or parties related to the game's development (such as third-party companies with characters included), and Nintendo itself. Sakurai has a good deal of control over the Smash Bros. series, but it's not him making all the decisions - it's really those who are collaborating with Sakurai - in particular the gaming company he works under - whose decisions are seen in the final game.

In addition, I agree it's ridiculous to believe Sakurai, with SSB4 announced, will just throw the game aside until Kid Icarus is done. He will think about how he will handle his now-inevitable next game as he handles what's left of KI Uprising, and can very well be sharing some of his thoughts with others as we talk right now. One does not start a game's development without knowing what they're even going to do.

That's why I thought it was a good read.

OmegaXXII

Good read indeed, I'm on my phone so I can't respond lenghtly. >.<

Edit: I agree with Java wholeheartenly, nicely put.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Swayne. Well alright man. If you're just not feeling it then it can't be helped.

@Java(/Star?): I figure people resort to "Sakurai this, Sakurai that" just for the sake of simplicity. Just how it works when you have a TOP DOG typically.

@Star: I dunno, I kind of like Meta Knight's Revenge better than the original(...s?). Both version of Bramble Blast are great... Though the original is a bit cooler.

OmegaXXII

Sorry, this caught my eye. By chance, who was this intended towards?
You silly, you sent me a PM didn't you?

Also, I've been working on my own version of it, I will have both rosters soon.

KOS-MOS from Xenosaga 1 is on there. ;)

Also, I have a surprise for you guys......

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
In terms of realism, definitely true. But quite honestly, I think Brawl's final roster turned out better then what the first alternate roster had. For one, I would not have liked the addition of Knuckles and two, it completely lacks in Pokemon diversity (Just 1st gen, no Lucario); among other things.
The other fake roster isn't bad either, but it has some more questionable choices, IMO (including what you said), so I prefer the one I posted, despite the lack of new franchise representation.

On a light hearted note I feel there are two songs in Brawl that would have been better if they had been left untouched.

Metaknight's Revenge
Bramble Blast

Now compare.

Halberd
~ Taking Over The Halberd
Stickerbrush Symphony
Oddly, I like the original and newer versions of both songs equally, which I find odd since I (sadly :c) never played DKC2 nor Kirby Super Star and so have no nostalgia of those games, and thus first experienced the music in their Brawl forms.

In particular, I love how the two versions of Bramble Blast/Stickerbrush Symphony share the same basic melody, but are so different mood-wise. Bramble Blast is a happy, relaxing take with some Spanish influence.

The original Stickerbrush Symphony, however, has a tinge of melancholy to it, even though the general mood is still uplifting and calming. Interestingly, it also evokes nostalgic memories -even though I never played the original DKC2 myself, nor heard the original version until after Brawl.

For a song like that to make me feel nostalgic despite it having nothing to do with my past is truly inspiring. I love both arrangements, and I would love the SSB4 team to include both in the next game, as together they bring much justice to the music selection.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
MetaKnight's Revenge is awesome, I like it.

It's alright, but it looses most of the intensity the original song had. The first 2 seconds have the crescendo, then around the 2 second mark you have that *clank clank clunk* with the beat that transitions you into the song. In the Brawl arraignment instead of having that non-stop, intense transition it just staccatos and everything apart from the lead is silent. I understand it was a jazz arrangement, but the song just loses most what made the original tracks so intense. It is especially bad when you compare it to some of the other Kirby arrangements on Halberd such as Gourmet Race and the Boss Medley.

Seriously, listen to how the original songs sound when you apply them to the Halberd. You can't deny how both songs (Revenge of Metaknight, Take Down The Halberd) are 10x better unarranged.
http://youtu.be/B83t3Wrr1us

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
How would you guys react if, in a crystalline flowstone cavern level in Adventure Mode in SSB4, you heard this remix of the nostalgic Yoshi's Island underground song?

If you're interested, here's the original theme.

I would add another possible cave theme, one even more atmospheric and IMO, fantastic, but sadly it's not found on Youtube. :c
Is it another Yoshi's Island track? I can probably find it and upload it if I know what I'm looking for?

Something I thought about that would be funny. What if Tabuu is the final boss in Kirby Returns To Dreamland?! I'd bust up laughing if this happened. lol

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
...I don't have good memories of that song. I think I must have gotten stuck in one of those caves when I was little. SOMEHOW...

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
...I don't have good memories of that song. I think I must have gotten stuck in one of those caves when I was little. SOMEHOW...
I feel so bad for you...

Is it another Yoshi's Island track? I can probably find it and upload it if I know what I'm looking for?
Sadly, it's not even a Nintendo song, is obscure, and originates from a mod of a video game. It's pretty much forgotten and unknown - which hurts me, because it deserves so much more and is so atmospheric, inspiring, and beautiful. The faint percussion sounds resembling water droplets splashing on the cave floor, the fantastic string performance, the final, faint piano note - it just combines so perfectly into one of my favorite pieces of music I've ever heard. Too bad next to no one has heard of it. :(

It's on this website page, under the name "Flowstone Cave".

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sadly, it's not even a Nintendo song, is obscure, and originates from a mod of a video game. It's pretty much forgotten and unknown - which hurts me, because it deserves so much more and is so atmospheric, inspiring, and beautiful. The faint percussion sounds resembling water droplets splashing on the cave floor, the fantastic string performance, the final, faint piano note - it just combines so perfectly into one of my favorite pieces of music I've ever heard. Too bad next to no one has heard of it. :(

It's on this website page, under the name "Flowstone Cave".
Sweet song.

Speaking of music. What I want to know is who the heck composed Tabuu's theme? No one is credited with the song in Brawl. I cannot think of who could have composed something like that?

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Sweet song.

Speaking of music. What I want to know is who the heck composed Tabuu's theme? No one is credited with the song in Brawl. I cannot think of who could have composed something like that?
I can live knowing one other person has heard the tune. :)

That was one of the problems I had with Brawl's music. They obviously composed all of these original Brawl tunes, but none of the original composers seemingly got recognition and instead were slapped together under the name "Original". I'm guessing the composers were aware this would happen, but it's still not right and discrediting the work of these musicians.

I want to know who made those songs, SSB team. :glare:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I caught that too, every Yoshi fan I know can attest to the awesomeness of that song. Thank goodness for BRSTMs.

Lol, I remember you talking about how terrible that vs. Ridley song was. It makes you wonder doesn't it?

I've always hated this version of Brinstar Depths

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I caught that too, every Yoshi fan I know can attest to the awesomeness of that song. Thank goodness for BRSTMs.

Lol, I remember you talking about how terrible that vs. Ridley song was. It makes you wonder doesn't it?

I've always hated this version of Brinstar Depths
Was? No mi amigo it IS. Also, I think you mean just Brinstar. Either way it is still better than this... :\
http://youtu.be/wp7kG4G6Dxk

Stupid Brawl and it's weak sauce guitars. THIS is how a guitar should sound!
http://youtu.be/4KDqMgHzOQc

Even better.
http://youtu.be/ZIOn9mpuApk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom