• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Balanced is an odd term when describing a character's playstyle. Ryu's meant to be a jack of all trades character, like Mario, but he was top tier in the first SFIV and high tier in Super. Balancing refers to how fair the matchups are against other charaters. Ideally, Mario should 50:50 matchups across the board because while he doesn't exceed in anything, he can out do other characters via their weaknesses.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Yup, pretty much so, i wonder who the next top-tier character is going to be?

*hopes it's Ray Mk I* :awesome:
I have a gut feeling it would be Megaman or one of Sakurai's creations Medusa or something. I think Stafy could be top tier too :p

:phone:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Starfy? Oh god please don't!!

Medusa would be pretty cool though, that I would like to see.

Medusa or Magnus would make sense both coming from one of Sakurai's games both D3 and MK did and they're top tier...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Balanced is an odd term when describing a character's playstyle. Ryu's meant to be a jack of all trades character, like Mario, but he was top tier in the first SFIV and high tier in Super. Balancing refers to how fair the matchups are against other charaters. Ideally, Mario should 50:50 matchups across the board because while he doesn't exceed in anything, he can out do other characters via their weaknesses.
Well, I meant that Mario is known to be a generally balanced character meaning he usually tends to have average stats in most games, generally because hebisnt a fighter for the most part like Ryu is, Ryu on the other hand wouldn't necessarly be balanced all the time since he's well...a fighter.

D

Deleted member

Day Fifty-Six of Rate Their Chances is up.

Anyway, in regards to tiers, I don't think Mega Man will be high tiers if he gets in. I think middle-lower tiers would be a more likely range for him.

Meta-Knight is going to get nerf into either the middle or low tiers. Can we all agree to that?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I know it's completely baseless speculation, but Saki seems like he would be top tier material. Like a Marth with added projectiles or something.

I expect Ridley to be awful, lol.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yes, just for the record; I never said I wanted Megaman to be top-tier material, hopefully Meta-Knight will get some much needed nerfing.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think it'll depend on a number of things. For example, Saki will likely not have Marth's signature spacing game. I see Saki being a closer range fighter than Marth at the very least.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think it'll depend on a number of things. For example, Saki will likely not have Marth's signature spacing game. I see Saki being a closer range fighter than Marth at the very least.
Would not some projectile-like normals help with spacing? Of course, that depends entirely on how they're implemented, lol.

I guess he wouldn't have the TIPPER either.

Y'KNOW KUMA, Star Fox characters have a pretty good track record on being higher up in the tier lists, so maybe you'll be in luck if Krystal gets in.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Would not some projectile-like normals help with spacing? Of course, that depends entirely on how they're implemented, lol.

I guess he wouldn't have the TIPPER either.
Kind of sorta. Thing with projectiles is that they can remain as active as long as they're allowed to be. Therefore, you can use that to limit the opponent's mobility options while getting in.

Spacing is not the same as the above example as that's about respecting the range of melee attacks. Marth and Chun-Li keep the opponent out with melee attacks. Compare this to Dhalsim who chuck out fireballs (CHun-Li has one as well), anti-airs, and teleports to keep the opponent out among other things.

I might have my terminology wrong, but I hope you got the message.

AND KRYSTAL FOR TOP TIRE!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Probably a Smash-original outfit. Blending the tribal and space themes sounds like quite a task, lol.

How the hell did Krystal ADJUST so quickly from flying on pterodactyls and beating up lizards with a stick to flying in a spaceship shooting lasers at robots...

Are pterodactyls and Arwings really so similar.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Sorry folks, gotta put my two cents in regarding these "rumors."

-Sakurai wants to focus more on characters this time, and less on the extra fluff, though he still wants there to be plenty of extra content.

Wrong on every word. Although Sakurai will work on the characters, it won't be his primary goal.

-Some of the assist trophy characters will become full characters, however Lucario will not be returning. Mewtwo is also out of the question, as are the Melee clones. It's also a possibility that some characters who were starters in Brawl will become unlockable in 4, much like Falcon and Ness from Melee to Brawl.

This may be true in some areas, as no one (except me) liked the Melee clones. AT's (i.e. Little Mac, Isaac, or Saki) may be upped to full playability, and fans would like to see the new Pokemon generation be represented. The Mewtwo bit is indeed false; he was original and should return. The part about Brawl starters being unlockable is also possible; Sakurai will no doubt want to showcase many newcomers early.

-Main control scheme will be Classic Controller, as the Wii U is not compatible with Gamecube tech. The tablet controller won't be for controlling characters, but there will be a use for it.

I don't know much about the Wii U right now, but this basically says you can't play the game at all. Totally wrong!

-Pokemon Trainer may get new pokemon. Another Pokemon Trainer character is "Highly unlikely"

Even though I hear people say that there's too many playable 1st gen Pokemon, the first part won't happen. I do agree with the 2nd part; one trainer is enough.

-No new characters for "heavily populated" series, more focus will be put on series that need more characters. Star Fox series is "A notable exception" to the rule for some reason...

Wait, what? I understand the 1st half, but the Star Fox bit...?

-No more Pikmin characters. Feels that Olimar is "suitable representation"

I do agree; to be honest, I didn't expect Olimar to show up at all.

-No more F-Zero characters, as Falcon had to have a lot of work done to become a character, and is the "face" of F-Zero. Having other characters would detract from this...

Oh, that is absolute BS!

-No more Mother characters, as the series is still mainly a Japan exclusive. Lucas and Ness represent the major titles effectively.

Agreed, and most likely true.

-No more Donkey Kong characters, though Donkey Kong assist trophies are in high demand, and at least three new assist trophies are planned, including one from Diddy Kong Racing, which will be represented better in Smash 4.

Expect hate mail from fans on this one, if it happens. Although I can see the AT bit happening.

-No more characters for the Yoshi and Wario series.

Why was this brought up? Yoshi and Wario are the sole reps for their respective games, anyway. (Although if the last bit becomes true, I can kiss Ashley good-bye.)

-No more Zelda characters; if Tingle were to become a character(NOT confirmed), he would get his own series icon and be the sole representative.

They'll consider more Zelda characters; in the form of playable, however, is uncertain. NO TINGLE!!

-No more Kirby characters.

True to the core. You have your main guys; who else is left to consider?

-Kid Icarus will be receiving a major overhaul. Expect at least one new character, several assist trophies, and a new stage alongside the one from Brawl.

Kid Icarus is already getting a major overhaul with the upcoming release of "Uprising." The new stage part could still happen, though.

-For Metroid, there will be one new character added. One that fans requested, and was thought to be an impossible addition, but the team have found a way to add them to the game, though it won't be a perfect transition.

OK, this is just a cheap way to assure the fans that Ridley's going to be playable. I'm sorry, but I'm saying it again: It's not going to happen. It cannot work.

-Alternate costumes for characters other than Wario are "being looked into", still nothing concrete.

This has a good chance of being true. Dr. Mario still has a chance of making a comeback, even if it's just as a costume.

-No more Fire Emblem characters. Marth represents the old, while Ike represents the new. Fire Emblem is still going to receive extra attention to other details however, including at least two new assist trophies.

This also may be true, as no new FE games are reportedly on the way. However, if the AT portion turns out to be true, Roy still has a chance to return.

-If a Third Party character has appeared in Smash, they are not likely to leave. In the case of Sonic, his reception was met positively, so SEGA has decided to give the development team free liberty to add him as a playable character. There won't be more than one character per company however. For example, if Capcom allowed the team to use both Ryu and Mega Man, they could only choose one.

Although fake, it seems legit. And which one WOULD they choose?

-In addition to new stages, there will be a selection of classic stages from all 3 previous Smash titles. One in particular from the original was "missed dearly by the fans".

This would be a good idea to pursue, if it turns out to be true. Hmm.... what stage was that?

-Mario will incorporate a new move from the Galaxy series, and the Galaxy series will be represented proper in Smash 4. Galaxy wasn't represented in Brawl due to not having substantial content to work with, but now there is "plenty of content to derive from the Galaxy series, especially with two distinct titles".

Hmm... it's not too far-fetched. It could happen.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Although I've seen the rumor, all that needs to be said about it has been said. It's simply fake.

On an on-topic subject before I start this game, does anyone have suggestions regarding Event Matches?

Anyways, I noticed Shortie ask us how we would feel if the alternate Brawl roster she posted became true, and no one responded (other than a confused Omega). I liked the idea, so I'm reviving the game, but with an SSB4 twist.

I will post an alternative/fake Brawl roster, and you respond with what you would predict in SSB4 if the posted roster was indeed the final Brawl roster. If you also wish to comment on the fake roster itself, you may.

I'll start with a different image than Shortie's provided one.

[COLLAPSE=Fake Brawl Roster - Character Differences]
  • Bowser Jr. --- Mario series (row 1, column 1)
  • Midna -- Legend of Zelda series (row 1, column 9)
  • King K. Rool -- Donkey Kong Country series (Row 2, column 1)
  • Ridley -- Metroid series (row 2, column 4)
  • Dark Samus -- Metroid series (row 2, column 6)
  • Lucario -- Pokemon series(Row 2, column 9)
  • Wolf O'Donnell a.k.a. Star Wolf -- Star Fox series(row 3, column 1)
  • Krystal -- Star Fox series (Row 3, Column 3)
  • Ashley -- WarioWare series(row 3, column 8)
  • Micaiah -- Fire Emblem series(row 3, column 10)
  • Black Bull -- F-Zero series (row 4, column 6)
  • Masked Man -- Earthbound/Mother series (row 4, column 9)
  • Mewtwo -- Pokemon series (row 2, column 11)
  • No Falco
[/collapse]

Assuming this was Brawl's final roster, predict SSB4's roster.

You may also comment on how effective this roster would be as a final Brawl roster.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
It's false, geez, relax.
I KNOW that it's all fake! I just had to say something on the matter.

Anyways, I noticed Shortie ask us how we would feel if the alternate Brawl roster she posted became true, and no one responded (other than a confused Omega). I liked the idea, so I'm reviving the game, but with an SSB4 twist.

I will post an alternative/fake Brawl roster, and you respond with what you would predict in SSB4 if the posted roster was indeed the final Brawl roster. If you also wish to comment on the fake roster itself, you may.

I'll start with a different image than Shortie's provided one.

[COLLAPSE=Fake Brawl Roster - Character Differences]
  • Bowser Jr. --- Mario series (row 1, column 1)
  • Midna -- Legend of Zelda series (row 1, column 9)
  • King K. Rool -- Donkey Kong Country series (Row 2, column 1)
  • Ridley -- Metroid series (row 2, column 4)
  • Dark Samus -- Metroid series (row 2, column 6)
  • Lucario -- Pokemon series(Row 2, column 9)
  • Wolf O'Donnell a.k.a. Star Wolf -- Star Fox series(row 3, column 1)
  • Krystal -- Star Fox series (Row 3, Column 3)
  • Ashley -- WarioWare series(row 3, column 8)
  • Micaiah -- Fire Emblem series(row 3, column 10)
  • Black Bull -- F-Zero series (row 4, column 6)
  • Masked Man -- Earthbound/Mother series (row 4, column 9)
  • Mewtwo -- Pokemon series (row 2, column 11)
  • No Falco
[/collapse]

Assuming this was Brawl's final roster, predict SSB4's roster.

You may also comment on how effective this roster would be as a final Brawl roster.

Unfortunately for me, I can't even begin to guess the next roster for Smash. All those characters (except Ridley) are good picks.

But I can say that if this roster was the official roster for Brawl, that would've been awesome. (Once again, except for Ridley)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well how about this. Why do you think that they are already working on it when Sakurai is still producing another game? Would Sakurai delegate the task or would he do it himself? And if he is doing what you say he is, why does he need to?

(I agree with you, but I'm playing Devil's Advocate here)
Ok, I am off work now and am able respond in the way I wish too.

Most people seem to believe Sakurai has sole authority when picking and implementing content into the game (though this is certainly true to an extent), but in all actuality thos decisions lie with the individual companies within Nintendo. It is a collaborative effort between both parties; which is why during the credits of each game you see so many companies listed.

The best way to explain it is to think of the Federal Government and the individual states (assuming most here are either American or have a general understanding of Civics). While the Federal Government holds a power unto itself it cannot act independently and subjugation of individual state's rights. States hold the ability and liberty to operate independently on their own, with the government acting as a cohesive force amongst the states (forgive me if my explanation does not do either the federal government or states justice).

This, loosely, can be applied to how Nintendo, as a corporate collective, and their subsidiary studios function. For example, if Intelligent Systems does not want Ike in the next game, Sakurai cannot use Ike. Inversely the company can make suggestions on what content could or should be included; from which Sakurai can either take or reject their proposals. Of course there are other variables involved such as fan demand and the curiosity of the developers. All of these things factor into each discussion.

After that long explanation I now reach the inevitable question, "why does this mean anything is happening at this moment?" With the amount of meetings that will have to take place it is only logical to assume they would begin "talks" before any development occurs. This way Sakurai and his team are allowed to begin a general draft on potential characters, stages, items, trophies, etc. You do not go into development half cocked with out any clue on what you need to be doing. That is not how a company functions, especially one with a product as anticipated as the next Super Smash Bros. Remember development is beginning in October, not negotiations.

But what about Kid Icarus: Uprising? Why would Sakurai begin immersing himself in this prep work when Uprising is not even released? It is not unheard of for a director or producer as they finish one project to transition into the next even before the first is completed. Usually what can occur is there will be select members of the team who begin laying the foundation for the next project to begin (this deals with the amount of preparation that goes into pre-development). Delegates who can begin contacting studios, go to meetings, write and file papers that Sakurai can eventually look at and take a more comprehensive role on. Or what is the other possibility is he does the work himself, leaving a few select members to oversee the final production and testing of Kid Icarus. Allowing him to do the work himself. If any situation is the more likely to me it will be the latter.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Unfortunately for me, I can't even begin to guess the next roster for Smash. All those characters (except Ridley) are good picks.

But I can say that if this roster was the official roster for Brawl, that would've been awesome. (Once again, except for Ridley)
What's bad about Ridley? Even if he can't work for Smash Bros. (hecan), he is a great choice for a Metroid rep, extremely popular, and just one darn cool character in his series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom