• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Your argument does not prove that Geno was not thought of by Nintendo. Is Square referenced in the intro / credits of M&L:SS? If Geno is licensed to Square, Square should be credited, no? I'm just asking for simple proof.
Yes Square is referenced in the credits and it states:

All rights, including the copyrights of Game, Music, Scenario, and Program are reserved by Nintendo. Regardless of the above mentioned the copyright of the character "Geno", reserved by Square Enix Co., LTD.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Proof is not that simple. You look it up. I can vouch that I've heard this from multiple people who are honest and CAN bring up proof. Square owns Geno, Mallow and a lot of other characters. I'm not sure what you're asking for.

@Chocobo, you need to remember that even Bomberman was voted for more than Sonic/Megaman at that point.

Some of the greatest characters can fall from grace. I like Chocobo and Bomberman, but they aren't exactly up to snuff these days.
I'll go a searching, that is all I want to know. I want to learn more about how collaboration games are licensed and such.

@Above: Thanks that's all I was curious about. I still think he'd be a cool 3rd party character should they use third party characters in ssb4.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i remember when it said that last geno bit at the end of superstar saga. i thought, whoa! mind blow! i can't believe i even sat through the credits.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Proof is not that simple. You look it up. I can vouch that I've heard this from multiple people who are honest and CAN bring up proof. Square owns Geno, Mallow and a lot of other characters. I'm not sure what you're asking for.

@Chocobo, you need to remember that even Bomberman was voted for more than Sonic/Megaman at that point.

Some of the greatest characters can fall from grace. I like Chocobo and Bomberman, but they aren't exactly up to snuff these days.
My point was to prove that these "random enemies" are not equivalent to "Goomba's". If anything they are more like Pikachu. A MASCOT! Pikachu isn't the only Pokémon out there yet if you see Pokémon you better be ready for a face full of Pikachu to follow. These are what these other characters are.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
I'm a tad bit worried about SSB4. Mostly, in terms of the controllers which will be supported. First, the WiiU pad is clearly not viable for high-level play.

For one, it's far too valuable a piece of property to bring around to tournaments and such. Second, the sticks are problematic. Those nubs are DEFINITELY not going to be as nice as a good stick. Third, the controller just looks unwieldy for Smash. The shoulder buttons simply don't look easy to press, and the controller doesn't look especially comfortable.

Now, I HOPE the Gamecube controller will be supported.. but I have my doubts. I think it's more likely the classic controller will be supported, but the classic controller simply isn't as perfect as the Gamecube controller was. If they took the GC controller, made the Z button more comfortable and the C-stick a bit more solid.. we'd have a perfect controller. As is, I'm starting to think we might be stuck with the Wii classic. :(

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I'm a tad bit worried about SSB4. Mostly, in terms of the controllers which will be supported. First, the WiiU pad is clearly not viable for high-level play.

For one, it's far too valuable a piece of property to bring around to tournaments and such. Second, the sticks are problematic. Those nubs are DEFINITELY not going to be as nice as a good stick. Third, the controller just looks unwieldy for Smash. The shoulder buttons simply don't look easy to press, and the controller doesn't look especially comfortable.

Now, I HOPE the Gamecube controller will be supported.. but I have my doubts. I think it's more likely the classic controller will be supported, but the classic controller simply isn't as perfect as the Gamecube controller was. If they took the GC controller, made the Z button more comfortable and the C-stick a bit more solid.. we'd have a perfect controller. As is, I'm starting to think we might be stuck with the Wii classic. :(
You won't use the Wii U controller because the system only supports one.

The system does not support GC media or controllers.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
My point was to prove that these "random enemies" are not equivalent to "Goomba's". If anything they are more like Pikachu. A MASCOT! Pikachu isn't the only Pokémon out there yet if you see Pokémon you better be ready for a face full of Pikachu to follow. These are what these other characters are.

Pikachu/Yoshi are much different than Rattata/Goomba. This is true.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I honestly don't think we'll see as many third party characters as people think we'll see. Just because there aren't as many "major" Nintendo characters left doesn't mean that there isn't enough to bring in the regular amount of newcomers (maybe even more) using only Nintendo characters that are either popular, familiar, or important to their series.

These Nintendo characters should always be higher priority than third party characters. With that said, the only third-party I'm expecting is Megaman, simply because of fan demand, like in Sonic's case.

-

As far as controllers go, I'm really hoping that we'll get some sort of new controller that resembles a gamecube controller so that more hardcore, classic games like Smash can be played with greater ease, as well as appeal to fans who have been with the series from the beginning.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord

Classic Controllers. GC controllers are a no go in Wii U.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
You won't use the Wii U controller because the system only supports one.

The system does not support GC media or controllers.
I've got my fingers crossed for an updated conventional controller release from Nintendo, then. I doubt they'd make it Wiimote only, so at the moment we're probably looking at Wii classics.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
These Nintendo characters should always be higher priority than third party characters. With that said, the only third-party I'm expecting is Megaman, simply because of fan demand, like in Sonic's case.
But look where that got us. . .

I would prefer someone less than an obvious choice. He would be a really bland character anyways.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
I honestly don't think we'll see as many third party characters as people think we'll see. Just because there aren't as many "major" Nintendo characters left doesn't mean that there isn't enough to bring in the regular amount of newcomers (maybe even more) using only Nintendo characters that are either popular, familiar, or important to their series.

-

As far as controllers go, I'm really hoping that we'll get some sort of new controller that resembles a gamecube controller so that more hardcore, classic games like Smash can be played with greater ease, as well as appeal to fans who have been with the series from the beginning.
I kinda hope we don't see many third party characters to be honest. Smash should be basically nintendo and nintendo only :X. Perhaps they could pull a Marvel VS Capcom 2 and add a character to represent the Smash series?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

I keep my expectations low in regards to this future game; I'm already anticipating my favorite characters to be removed, already anticipating the third party characters to be removed, preparing for the annoying Bowser Jr., and only expecting a roster of 40-42.

So my expectations are in check. Hard to be disappointed.

EDIT: Megaman bland? Expected yes but bland certainly not!

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i'm also against Sega and Konami being in this smash... Capcom and Square should replace the spots...

if sonic and/or snake return(s), then they/he will have to stay for all oncoming smash titles because apparently, the word guest means nothing and i hope sakurai feels this way too.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I think it's definitely possible that both Snake and Sonic could get cut... but it is also possible that both could stick around. I never know what to expect with third-parties. If only one gets cut though, it's going to be Snake, considering he was only added as a favor for a single person, and Sonic has high fan demand.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
i'm also against Sega and Konami being in this smash... Capcom and Square should replace the spots...

if sonic and/or snake return(s), then they/he will have to stay for all oncoming smash titles because apparently, the word guest means nothing and i hope sakurai feels this way too.
But hey what is better than a guest? A returning guest! Seriously, Snake may go but Sonic is staying. There is no way SEGA or the fans will let him go easily. You thought Mewtwo and Roys' removals were bad? Wait for the storm that will come from that mess!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If you've played MvC, then you really already know what to expect from Megaman. He will use projectiles. And possibly be a crappy Kirby copycat.

If we are going to have third parties, you might as well keep all of them. Otherwise, we should just axe the two we have.

Don't underestimate the amount of third parties that could make it in. Smash is good publicity.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If you've played MvC, then you really already know what to expect from Megaman. He will use projectiles. And possibly be a crappy Kirby copycat.
I've played Marvel Vs Capcom and that in no way is indicative of how he would fight in Super Smash Bros. Sure he will probably borrow some moves, but there will be other things too. If anyone looked bland on the outset it was Sonic the Hedgehog. I can't even begin to tell you all of the "all he can do is run" topics I had to endure!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I've played Marvel Vs Capcom and that in no way is indicative of how he would fight in Super Smash Bros. Sure he will probably borrow some moves, but there will be other things too. If anyone looked bland on the outset it was Sonic the Hedgehog. I can't even begin to tell you all of the "all he can do is run" topics I had to endure!
Sonic had a lot of potential to feel new, and look what we got. Megaman has a lot less movements/attacks to base a moveset off IMO. Unless you plan on pulling x move from this megaman trilogy, and y move from this one. Megaman generally jumps, runs, shoots, and steals ablities. . . that's it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sonic had a lot of potential to feel new, and look what we got. Megaman has a lot less movements/attacks to base a moveset off IMO. Unless you plan on pulling x move from this megaman trilogy, and y move from this one. Megaman generally jumps, runs, shoots, and steals ablities. . . that's it.
Well a lot of characters in Smash Bros were only able to jump, run, and attack. Didn't keep them from getting implemented into the game. Heck, some of them were bound to space craft exclusively before Smash 64.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I keep my expectations low in regards to this future game; I'm already anticipating my favorite characters to be removed, already anticipating the third party characters to be removed, preparing for the annoying Bowser Jr., and only expecting a roster of 40-42.

So my expectations are in check. Hard to be disappointed.

I am keeping my expectations low too. However, if you are hoping for Mega Man, I will say that Mega Man is one of the few characters in which I would be SHOCKED if they did not become playable in Smash 4 (the other being that if there is no second Kid Icarus character).

I personally got the feeling that we will be seeing much more guests (possibly more than four) this time around, and that Snake and Sonic will return.

Supposedly, Sakurai has said that he has not even begun to think about characters for Smash 4. Either he is lying, or Smash 4 will focus more on gameplay and new modes this time around.

My character wishlist for Smash 4 can only be counted on one hand anyway. Ridley, Toad, Little Mac, Roy, and Mewtwo are pretty much the only characters with a realistic shot of getting in that I look forward to for Smash 4.

The only guests I would like to see would be Mega Man and Crono. However, only the former has a realistic chance of getting in.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well a lot of characters in Smash Bros were only able to jump, run, and attack. Didn't keep them from getting implemented into the game. Heck, some of them were bound to space craft exclusively before Smash 64.
Which leaves a lot to imagine for nintendo. But Megaman's isn't Nintendo's to Imagine for. He has a selective group of attacks items that they have to work with. That moveset was not oriented towards smash, and even if it was I would like to point out again that Sonic had a lot of potential to be amzayzayingly cool and instead we got a VERY strcitly made Sonic. Not based of any spin-offs/fighting games whatsoever.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's a fine moveset and all, but all those moves belong to the different Robot Masters, not Megaman himself.

Megaman's big three things are weapon changes, projectile spamming, and the vast amount of tools. This would be fine and dandy had they all been Megaman's own attacks, but they're not. This is my theory on MvC3 not having him: Along with the above attacks not actually being his technically, there were other characters that could do those three separately. So, the option is to now have three characters with more indepth take on those concepts or a single character that doesn't do those concepts no where near as in depth. And that is how we got Amaterasu (weapon changes), Arthur (projectile spamming), and Dante (vast amount of tools) and the attacks that those three use belong to them (or at least in the sense Link's items belong to him).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oooh, man. Ridley's Incredibly Dedicated League of Enthusiastic Youths will be campaigning for our Cunning God of Death again soon enough. I wonder if we'll get Ridley threads banned again. Not that it would stop us this time. Guess I could start by handing these out...

Also this for a personal favorite of mine~

ANYWAY I wonder if alternate costumes would be something Sakurai will consider this time. Sounds like something he'd put on the 3DS version. I know I'd love unlocking all of them.

If Luigi in Peach's dress (from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga) isn't an alt costume I will be very disappointed.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I am keeping my expectations low too. However, if you are hoping for Mega Man, I will say that Mega Man is one of the few characters in which I would be SHOCKED if they did not become playable in Smash 4 (the other being that if there is no second Kid Icarus character).

I personally got the feeling that we will be seeing much more guests (possibly more than four) this time around, and that Snake and Sonic will return.

Supposedly, Sakurai has said that he has not even begun to think about characters for Smash 4. Either he is lying, or Smash 4 will focus more on gameplay and new modes this time around.

My character wishlist for Smash 4 can only be counted on one hand anyway. Ridley, Toad, Little Mac, Roy, and Mewtwo are pretty much the only characters with a realistic shot of getting in that I look forward to for Smash 4.

The only guests I would like to see would be Mega Man and Crono. However, only the former has a realistic chance of getting in.
For me, where as most people take extreme optimisim, I am taking extreme pessimism. Because if I go in expecting Slime, Megaman, Mewtwo, Paper Mario; than I am the one disappointed if Slime or Paper Mario doesn't get in. So I'm more realistic than wishful, I have characters I want to see playable, but I'm always expecting the worst... Like a playable Cloud...

Which leaves a lot to imagine for nintendo. But Megaman's isn't Nintendo's to Imagine for. He has a selective group of attacks items that they have to work with. That moveset was not oriented towards smash, and even if it was I would like to point out again that Sonic had a lot of potential to be amzayzayingly cool and instead we got a VERY strcitly made Sonic. Not based of any spin-offs/fighting games whatsoever.
Both Snake and Sonic were developed individually by Konami and Sega staff. So technically Capcom would be developing him, not Nintendo.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, Shortie, some of Sonic's attacks were based off of Sonic the Fighters. I do wish though, that they gave more to Sonic as followups to his side and down Bs.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
sonic the fighters... what an outdated game... should have used sonic battle.

lol@ glowworm.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Isn't he in that New DS game as well?
I was not aware but I'll take your word for it. Still doesn't make sense adding him though because the game he is most known for (FFVII) has not appeared on a Nintendo console. It is also the reason why people want him, not because they played some Kingdom Heart game. If he gets in, FFVII better appear on a Nintendo console before hand.

That's a fine moveset and all, but all those moves belong to the different Robot Masters, not Megaman himself.
And what about Kirby's moveset?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
All I'm asking from Smash at this point is uniqueness and a competitive edge to it. (I would prefer more then just and "edge", but Sakurai wouldn't go for that. Maybe Iwata or Miyamoto can convince him!)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
By the way, has anyone thought about Xenoblade at all? Last I checked it is in fact a Nintendo property, so it could be a possibility? Not saying we will see Shulk or anything but he would be an interesting surprise as an AT. All I care about is we get some Sin and Punishment and Xenoblade music in, because at the end of the day I care more about the music.

Mechanical Rhythm
Fight!

System Menu
Man Eating Forest

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys I have a question; is Sin & Punishment really a Nintendo franchise? You guys keep listing it as such but then when I look at who developed it, it's Treasure who is a 3rd party developer. Some of you seem to think that just because the game is published by Nintendo that it makes it a Nintendo franchise. This is not always the case. Sometimes it is the developer who owns the rights to the game made. For example Nintendo published DQIX but Square was the one who developed it.

EDIT The same can also be said for Last Story. Nintendo might of published that game but it was developed by two 3rd party companies.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Alright guys I have a question; is Sin & Punishment really a Nintendo franchise? You guys keep listing it as such but then when I look at who developed it, it's Treasure who is a 3rd party developer. Some of you seem to think that just because the game is published by Nintendo that it makes it a Nintendo franchise. This is not always the case. Nintendo published DQIX but that obviously does not mean that they own that game.
If only it was...

Anyways yes Sin and Punishment is in fact a Nintendo franchise, Treasure just developed the latest (and probably only) sequel.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
From what I've read it seems they also developed the first one as well.
That may be so but it is in fact a Nintendo franchise. Look at how Saki made it into Brawl, whom by the way was the closest of all the ATs to actually being playable.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
That may be so but it is in fact a Nintendo franchise. Look at how Saki made it into Brawl, whom by the way was the closest of all the ATs to actually being playable.
I guess you're right since Saki did make it in and I didn't hear anything about him being 3rd party anyways before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom