• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I feel like I think Slime would be pretty stupid as a fighter. I think Geno would be a better Square representative. I feel like Geno probably has a better chance than many may think; I could be wrong, but Square can't possibly own all of the rights towards Geno.
While I would like to see Geno, wouldn't you think that Square would go for a Final Fantasy character instead of a 10+ year old one shot character from a spin-off title? I don't know, but I think they would go with Lightning instead, or Chocobo for extra troll points. Maybe even someone from the Crystal Chronicles seires.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
While I would like to see Geno, wouldn't you think that Square would go for a Final Fantasy character instead of a 10+ year old one shot character from a spin-off title? I don't know, but I think they would go with Lightning instead, or Chocobo for extra troll points. Maybe even someone from the Crystal Chronicles seires.
Geno...geno was in mario&luigi saga as a doll wasn't he?

I think?

I think i read that on wiki...not sure tho..

I was right he is in mario & luigi super saga yay for me!

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I think Nintendo & Square should do a cross-promotion deal. Square makes a new Dissidia: Final Fantasy for 3DS which Link appears in as a guest fighter. Then in return Cloud appears in SSB4.

Link actually kinda sorta appeared in FF before so he's eligible to appear in Dissidia:

Well, by extremely slim technicality anyway. >_>

& becuase of Dissidia 3DS, Cloud would become eligible for SSB.

Zombiesarecool

Smash Cadet
I think Nintendo & Square should do a cross-promotion deal. Square makes a new Dissidia: Final Fantasy for 3DS which Link appears in as a guest fighter. Then in return Cloud appears in SSB4.
Even better, Nintendo gets the HD remake of FFVII has a limited or total exclusive. Cloud gets in Smash.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I feel like I think Slime would be pretty stupid as a fighter. I think Geno would be a better Square representative. I feel like Geno probably has a better chance than many may think; I could be wrong, but Square can't possibly own all of the rights towards Geno.
No, Geno was a one time fad during the Brawl days that didn't make much of an impact. Slime, Chocobo, Black Mage heck even I hate to say it even Cloud would be better choices than Geno. And I have played and love SMRPG, so please don't mistake me.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If Cloud gets in this game I will vomit. No character do I loathe more than him.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
No, because Geno is far more nintendo related than any final fantasy character.

@Above, I love you. I hated that day when someone made the Ike > Cloud mod. Good lord.

Zombiesarecool

Smash Cadet
To be picky, Cloud was in 2 Kingdom Hearts games that released on Nintendo handhelds, he already has eligibility.
I'm not sure if cameos as a summon card would really count. I think really Sakurai wants to put stars of their own games in that appeared on Nintendo platforms.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No, because Geno is far more nintendo related than any final fantasy character.
He is still third party at the end of the day and comes from a dead game. Barely anybody even knows who he is let alone what game he came from. Not happening.

Hate to be so blunt but it's the truth.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
He is still third party at the end of the day and comes from a dead game. Barely anybody even knows who he is let alone what game he came from. Not happening.
Implying Final Fantasy 7 is alive and well? As far as I'm concerned, anyone who has an SNES has played Super Mario RPG. I'm pretty sure Nintendo would own the rights to him, not even as a third party character, however, I don't know how all of that nonsense works.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
No, Geno was a one time fad during the Brawl days that didn't make much of an impact. Slime, Chocobo, Black Mage heck even I hate to say it even Cloud would be better choices than Geno. And I have played and love SMRPG, so please don't mistake me.
Geno definitely made an impact. One of the most wanted characters for Brawl who spurred the most memorable rumor IMO. The whole rumor about SE not wanting Geno in Brawl even though he was half programmed into the game. (This is not true of course) A lot of people actually to this day believe this rumor. Almost anyone on Smashboards knows Geno.

Geno isn't a fad considering he's lasted over ten years. He is NOT likely, but he does have a fan base, and Nintendo has SOME interest in him considering his special appearence in one of the M&L.

No fad here. Vaati and Midna, they are fads.

Black Mage, Slime, Sora, anyone over freaking Cloud. ugh. I cannot stand him.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Another Geno debate. Delicious. I think it's funny that people trash talk Geno but then put like Ryu from SF or Mike Jones in their rosters. The hypocrisy...

Edit: i'll jump on the bandwagon! Cid Highwind for Smash 4!

:phone:

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Another Geno debate. Delicious. I think it's funny that people trash talk Geno but then put like Ryu from SF or Mike Jones in their rosters. The hypocrisy...

:phone:
I personally don't feel really any capcom character would fit in brawl, aside from someone from Darkstalkers maybe...

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Implying Final Fantasy 7 is alive and well? As far as I'm concerned, anyone who has an SNES has played Super Mario RPG. I'm pretty sure Nintendo would own the rights to him, not even as a third party character, however, I don't know how all of that nonsense works.
No, Nintendo does not own the rights to him. SquareEnix owns the rights to all of the original characters in the game. He is as third party as Cloud.

While I abhor that blonde. over rated, emo piece of rubbish at least he keeps getting shoved into everything Final Fantasy related to the point that he isn't ever really not out of public eye (regrettably). And his game is one of the best selling games, which Super Mario RPG was not...

I personally don't feel really any capcom character would fit in brawl, aside from someone from Darkstalkers maybe...
Does Megaman ring a bell?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If you're going to turn down Geno, don't throw Cloud in as a replacement. That's like expecting to see Dark Knight 3 and actually going to see Spongebob the Movie. It would infuriate both fanboys and the rest of the audience in the theater.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If you're going to turn down Geno, don't throw Cloud in as a replacement. That's like expecting to see Dark Knight 3 and actually going to see Spongebob the Movie. It would infuriate both fanboys and the rest of the audience in the theater.
Ohhhhhhh believe me I am not throwing him in as ANY kind of replacement. I'm saying that at least there are things that would actually merit going through the trouble of getting him into the game.

But by NOOOO means am I advocating it. My choices have been made clear, Slime and/or Chocobo.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cloud one of the most popular rpg characters of all time? He was the lead hero in the most revolutionary rpg. Not only that, he keeps appearing in those Kingdom Hearts game, and fans of the FF series keep ask for an HD remake of 7.

Why would people be dissapointed by that choice? We got Mario vs. Sonic, let them finally have Link vs. Cloud. Remember: Fanservice.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cloud one of the most popular rpg characters of all time? He was the lead hero in the most revolutionary rpg. Not only that, he keeps appearing in those Kingdom Hearts game, and fans of the FF series keep ask for an HD remake of 7.

Why would people be dissapointed by that choice? We got Mario vs. Sonic, let them finally have Link vs. Cloud. Remember: Fanservice.
Could is overrated. No other way to put it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Yeah but guess where all those game series keep landing? Sony platforms.

Plus, there are many such as myself who loathe this character. It isn't like Megaman where a majority like him, there is a lot of hate for Cloud. There are better choices even within the Final Fantasy universe that wouldn't alienate as many people.

refugee

Smash Journeyman

Remember: FF7 has never appeared on a Nintendo console and the only time Cloud has was in that Kingdom Heart GBA game.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah but guess where all those game series keep landing? Sony platforms.

Plus, there are many such as myself who loathe this character. It isn't like Megaman where a majority like him, there is a lot of hate for Cloud. There are better choices even within the Final Fantasy universe that wouldn't alienate as many people.
Like Black Mage, Moogle, Ninja, White Mage, Cactar, and a ton of others. Who all have already crossed over with Nintendo, TWICE.

Slime has crossed over with Mario as well.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
No, Nintendo does not own the rights to him. SquareEnix owns the rights to all of the original characters in the game. He is as third party as Cloud.

While I abhor that blonde. over rated, emo piece of rubbish at least he keeps getting shoved into everything Final Fantasy related to the point that he isn't ever really not out of public eye (regrettably). And his game is one of the best selling games, which Super Mario RPG was not...

Does Megaman ring a bell?
Megaman is too obvious of a choice. It's what everyone would expect. And can you source where Square owns all of the original characters? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd like to be informed that's all :\

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
I don't care if you think it is stupid or not. I'm not going around saying he will get in. All I've said is he is a viable candidate that has better chances than most will concede. Despite having no limbs he can still function as a fighter.

If it isn't Slime I am confident it will go to Chocobo for a Square Enix representative. Or are you going to have problems with that choice too?
Yes. i do have problems with Chocobo. even a chocobo knight! even a slime knight!!

Steam

Smash Hero
Sorry to sound like an attention *****, but can someone please review my character roster and my explanation for it? Would be highly appreciated. Forgot that I wanted to have at least one review in.

*Goes back to sleep*
looked pretty solid, as for the either/ors

k.rool over dixie

lucario over mewtwo

zoroark over victini

I'm unsure about medusa... or sin and punishment. never heard of that takamaru thing.

custom robo is plausible, little mac is almost a gurantee, mega man is the best fit of a third party in my eyes. but we'll see what happens.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Isn't he in that New DS game as well?
Probably. That doesn't further validate the argument. By this fellows logic, he's still owned by Square and square alone... so he'd have little to no chance. Geno however... the child of BOTH nintendo AND square... I feel has a higher chance if they have third party characters.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Megaman is too obvious of a choice. It's what everyone would expect. And can you source where Square owns all of the original characters? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd like to be informed that's all :\
I don't have the ability to get that information right now, but it was developed by SquareEnix and only published by Nintendo. Since Mario, Bowser, Peach and Toad are licensed by Nintendo everything else logically is Square's property. Need go no further than M&L:SS for the GBA where Geno has a small cameo to see that.

Yes. i do have problems with Chocobo. even a chocobo knight! even a slime knight!!
Ugh! Well I hate to break it to you but back in the Melee days Chocobo received the highest votes for a third party character, even trumping Megaman and Sonic. As far as Slime goes, just a little fun fact, he was voted #4 in Famitsu's 100 greatest video game characters of all time. Since the whole concept of mascots seem to allude you I'm sure none of this is going to make sense.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Probably. That doesn't further validate the argument. By this fellows logic, he's still owned by Square and square alone... so he'd have little to no chance. Geno however... the child of BOTH nintendo AND square... I feel has a higher chance if they have third party characters.
But-but-but Sonic is own by Sega and Sega alone! And he still made it! :surprised:

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
I don't have the ability to get that information right now, but it was developed by SquareEnix and only published by Nintendo. Since Mario, Bowser, Peach and Toad are licensed by Nintendo everything else logically is Square's property. Need go no further than M&L:SS for the GBA where Geno has a small cameo to see that.

Ugh! Well I hate to break it to you but back in the Melee days Chocobo received the highest votes for a third party character, even trumping Megaman and Sonic. As far as Slime goes, just a little fun fact, he was voted #4 in Famitsu's 100 greatest video game characters of all time. Since the whole concept of mascots seem to allude you I'm sure none of this is going to make sense.
Your argument does not prove that Geno was not thought of by Nintendo. Is Square referenced in the intro / credits of M&L:SS? If Geno is licensed to Square, Square should be credited, no? I'm just asking for simple proof.

@Above That's true, but think about the amount of Nintendo consoles have had Sonic games. From the top of my head, I can think of 2 gamecube ones, 3 gameboy advance ones, 3 wii ones. That's a lot :\

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Your argument does not prove that Geno was not thought of by Nintendo. Is Square referenced in the intro / credits of M&L:SS? If Geno is licensed to Square, Square should be credited, no? I'm just asking for simple proof.
Proof is not that simple. You look it up. I can vouch that I've heard this from multiple people who are honest and CAN bring up proof. Square owns Geno, Mallow and a lot of other characters. I'm not sure what you're asking for.

@Chocobo, you need to remember that even Bomberman was voted for more than Sonic/Megaman at that point.

Some of the greatest characters can fall from grace. I like Chocobo and Bomberman, but they aren't exactly up to snuff these days.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
oh it makes sense, but i choose to be an automaton when debating. much like my hatred towards the "Original 12" and the "Mario big 8", i take a more technical standpoint when selecting characters and leave my emotions behind me. (although i am unaware that i prefer Mega Man X over his big brother Classic Mega Man, going so far as to bring classic down by criticizing the moveset)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom