• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
To me the Wario series is not in need of a 2nd rep at this time. When you look at other series that have been in Smash Bros before Wario. Series like Metroid & F-Zero. Those 2 series have been represented since the 1st Smash Bros. I think they would get a rep before Wario does. Plus with tons of newer franchises in this generation yet to even have a rep, I don't see the Wario series having any luck of a 2nd rep.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well I guess I'm neutral on him.

Also Jimmy T. should be an AT. :cool:

D

Deleted member

To me the Wario series is not in need of a 2nd rep at this time. When you look at other series that have been in Smash Bros before Wario. Series like Metroid & F-Zero. Those 2 series have been represented since the 1st Smash Bros. I think they would get a rep before Wario does. Plus with tons of newer franchises in this generation yet to even have a rep, I don't see the Wario series having any luck of a 2nd rep.
Pretty much this. The only Mario spin-off series I see getting new reps is Donkey Kong. Yoshi and WarioWare has a slight chance with WarioWare faring very slightly better, but that's saying little.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
See, that's what I don't get. Why say "Toon Zelda" and "Toon Link" apart from "Link" and "Zelda?" +_+

Every Link and Zelda made an impact, Why do the toon versions get extra spotlight? Because the art style is the same for several games?

So essentially... because the artists and directors were too lazy to come up with a new style, Toon Link is considered extra special, despite the fact that there are also several different Toon Links?
There are 2 different Toon Links. They are special because:
1. They represented a youthful (ie: young) Link.
2. They now represent the handheld Zelda games, which are very popular.
3. Their movement, reactions, and even games are completely different from the others.
4. The "Toon Link" model has been used in 3 games. The traditional OOT/MJ Toon Link lasted two, and since then we haven't seen a "realistic" child Link in the series, remakes aside (although I would hardly call that realistic). On top of that, the 3 games, especially the Wind Waker, were very popular and sold a lot of units (more than the all the Star Fox games combined, easily).
5. Along with Link in Skyward Sword, Toon Link is still the newest incarnation of Link.
6. Ever since Ocarina of Time, Adult and Child Link have been different, and have been treated differently.
7. The child Link is the purest form of Link. He was child in the original Legend of Zelda (in Zelda II, in many ways, he became an adult), and he was a child in A Link to the Past (or as I call them, the 2 best games in the series).
8. Adult Link represents the dark and evil side of the series. Toon Link represents the youthful, adventuresome side of the series.
9. Toon Link is pretty much the only Link that doesn't stand there and not react. He reacts... a lot.
10. The Zelda series is popular as heck, and Toon Link is seen as a huge part of it, from the modern and historical standpoint.
11. 7. A child form of Link has been in two smash games in a row. Why all of a sudden would they remove it now? To add Krystal? She's had a minor role in a series that's next to dead. Tingle? Nobody knows about him outside of a few people, and very few of those people would want him. (who buys a game going "OMG! IT'S A FAT MAN IN TIGHTS! I GOTTA HAVE THIS!" lol) Midna? She appeared in one game.
12. The rule of 2 appearances as a playable character in smash bros has been correct up to this point, and I don't see a reason to change it for minor, insignificant characters.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Actually, all I want is Paper Mario and Jr., Toad to a lesser extent, even if we don't get all 3 just one would be good enought for me.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Actually Super Smash Bros. Fan, technically the Mario series is a spin-off of the Donkey Kong series... >.>

And Wario Ware has become a full fledged series, and to a lesser extent, the Yoshi series. Although neither have had a huge impact, become popular, or sold well, so I doubt we'll get extra playable character representation, as cool as Kamek could be.

@ Omega
Waluigi is considered a part of Mario spin-off party and sports games, and nothing more. (heck, his first game was Mario Tennis!) :laugh:

We can basically consider Waluigi a part of the "Misc. Nintendo Franchise" list. :grin: :cool:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
* Slippy Mode Activate*

HEYHEYGUYSSSSS I JUST MADE THE MOST BEST AND REALISTIC EVURRRRR
:333333333

*Super Smash Bros Fan might've seen this already...*

[collapse=NO JPNONLY THEY SUXORZZZZ] -Mario
-Luigi
-Peach
-Bowser
-Bowser Jr.

Donkey Kong

-Donkey Kong
-Diddy Kong
-King K.Rool

Yoshi

-Yoshi

Wario

-Wario

Pokemon

-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
- Zoroark
-PKMN Trainer

The Legend of Zelda

-Link
-Zelda
-Ganondorf

Kirby

-Kirby
-Meta Knight
-King Dedede

Metroid

-Samus
- Ridley

Fire Emblem

-Marth
- Ike

Star Fox

-Fox
-Falco
-Wolf

F-Zero
-Captain Falcon

Kid Icarus

-Pit
-Medusa

Mother

-Ness
-Lucas

Densetsu No Stafy/Legendary Starfy

-Starfy

Golden Sun

-Isaac

Pikmin
-Olimar

Sin and Punishment

- Saki

Ice Climber

Ice Climbers

Game and Watch

- Mr. G&W

R.O.B Series

- R.O.B

Nazo no Murasame-jo
- Takamaru

Punch-Out
-Little Mac

3rd Party

-Snake
-Sonic
-Megaman

ANY COMPLAINTS? :DDDDDDDD[/collapse]

BEST ROSTER E- *Shot*

But really, everyone's roster is based on this in every other boards out there. Have they lost faith on their own personal characters they grew with which are potential?

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ugg. Too many spin offs! :facepalm:

At this point I don't care which Mario series gets another character, there are way too many options. Just give me Mario and Luigi and I'm set.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
I for some reason started to support Kamek a bit as the new Yoshi-representative...

Maybe because he's kinda cool to me now.

Kamek would be an interesting character in my opinion. Correct me if im wrong, but would Kamek really make a good rep for the Yoshi series even though he appeared in more Mario games than Yoshi games?

OmegaXXII

@ Omega
Waluigi is considered a part of Mario spin-off party and sports games, and nothing more. (heck, his first game was Mario Tennis!) :laugh:

We can basically consider Waluigi a part of the "Misc. Nintendo Franchise" list. :grin: :cool:
Yea, I guess that makes sense, I always thought he was considered part of Wario's since he's sorta like a brother to Waluigi, well not that it matters sine Waluigi isn't deserving enough anyway, but one can't also rule out the possibility either.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Pretty much this. The only Mario spin-off series I see getting new reps is Donkey Kong. Yoshi and WarioWare has a slight chance with WarioWare faring very slightly better, but that's saying little.
Actually if you compare the series right now WarioWare is "entitled" (hate this terminology) to a second character more than F-Zero, since that was the series primarily mentioned alongside Metroid.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for another Wario Ware character when there are other characters that are more important from longer-running franchises.

There are 2 different Toon Links. They are special because:
1. They represented a youthful (ie: young) Link.
2. They now represent the handheld Zelda games, which are very popular.
3. Their movement, reactions, and even games are completely different from the others.
4. The "Toon Link" model has been used in 3 games. The traditional OOT/MJ Toon Link lasted two, and since then we haven't seen a "realistic" child Link in the series, remakes aside (although I would hardly call that realistic). On top of that, the 3 games, especially the Wind Waker, were very popular and sold a lot of units (more than the all the Star Fox games combined, easily).
5. Along with Link in Skyward Sword, Toon Link is still the newest incarnation of Link.
6. Ever since Ocarina of Time, Adult and Child Link have been different, and have been treated differently.
7. The child Link is the purest form of Link. He was child in the original Legend of Zelda (in Zelda II, in many ways, he became an adult), and he was a child in A Link to the Past (or as I call them, the 2 best games in the series).
8. Adult Link represents the dark and evil side of the series. Toon Link represents the youthful, adventuresome side of the series.
9. Toon Link is pretty much the only Link that doesn't stand there and not react. He reacts... a lot.
10. The Zelda series is popular as heck, and Toon Link is seen as a huge part of it, from the modern and historical standpoint.
11. 7. A child form of Link has been in two smash games in a row. Why all of a sudden would they remove it now? To add Krystal? She's had a minor role in a series that's next to dead. Tingle? Nobody knows about him outside of a few people, and very few of those people would want him. (who buys a game going "OMG! IT'S A FAT MAN IN TIGHTS! I GOTTA HAVE THIS!" lol) Midna? She appeared in one game.
12. The rule of 2 appearances as a playable character in smash bros has been correct up to this point, and I don't see a reason to change it for minor, insignificant characters.
Firstly, there are more than 2 iterations of "Toon Link." Minish Cap, tWW/PH, ST... not sure on FS/FSA, however.

Link in SS shouldn't be considered equivalent to Toon Link.

OoT is the only game where there was any divide between "Young" and "old." Otherwise, it's just "Link." The divide between young and old Link is also exaggerated.

Young Link was put in Melee for no good reason. Toon Link was placed in Brawl to replace Young Link, and only because Toon Link was slightly more relevant as a separate character.

There are no "rules." There is only the whim of Masahiro Sakurai.

I simply don't agree with the notion that "Toon Link" should be treated categorically as a separate entity at any level from OoT/MM/TP/aLttP/LA/Zelda/AoL/SS.

They're all different Links, with only art style uniting the "toon" category that has been created. It's silly, really.

Every Link is a different individual, despite what art style they are rendered in. The different Toon Link shouldn't be treated more connected than the others just because they look the same.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Up B - U.F.O (Unidentified Flying Orbulon): His lower half turns into a flying saucer, he will arc upwards quickly. Once finished he will hover in the air for a few seconds

Forward B - Alien Beam: Fires a beam from a cartoon-y ray gun. It won't function like any other gun based item in the game, think of Dr. Doom's aerial ray beam in MvC.

B - Alien Wave: His antennae begins to glow and he fires a bright purple ring forward.

Down B - Alien Invasion: Lower half becomes a flying saucer and he will hover slighty in the air, able to fire laser beams below his ship.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Up B - U.F.O (Unidentified Flying Orbulon): His lower half turns into a flying saucer, he will arc upwards quickly. Once finished he will hover in the air for a few seconds

Forward B - Alien Beam: Fires a beam from a cartoon-y ray gun. It won't function like any other gun based item in the game, think of Dr. Doom's aerial ray beam in MvC.

B - Alien Wave: His antennae begins to glow and he fires a bright purple ring forward.

Down B - Alien Invasion: Lower half becomes a flying saucer and he will hover slighty in the air, able to fire laser beams below his ship.
Not bad, although it sounds at bit like UFO Kirby. lol

Any ideas for a Final Smash?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If it is even relevant to this Link discussion, Sakurai has said he feels it is important to have both an adult and young Link in Smash.

Not that I think anyone was wanting Toon Link cut. :I

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Wait!! What??

Now you have me confused as what to JohnKnight mentioned.

i think it's the other way around isn't it??
Somebody said that Mario is technically a spinoff of the Donkey Kong series, when in actuality, the "Donkey kong" game is simply a Mario game titled "Donkey Kong." "Donkey Kong" technically doesn't even belong in the formal Donkey Kong series/franchise.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Star

Awesome, Smash does need more Pig shaped Spaceships. :cool:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I don't necessarily want Toon Link cut, but I don't really see the necessity of him. If he's in, he better be a completely different moveset, because otherwise he has no right being there.

OmegaXXII

Somebody said that Mario is technically a spinoff of the Donkey Kong series, when in actuality, the "Donkey kong" game is simply a Mario game titled "Donkey Kong." "Donkey Kong" technically doesn't even belong in the formal Donkey Kong series/franchise.
Yea, that makes sense, i just got confused by what john mentioned!!

You guys are posting way too fast O_O

D

Deleted member

Young Horsetail said:
But really, everyone's roster is based on this in every other boards out there. Have they lost faith on their own personal characters they grew with which are potential?
As I've said before, I really don't like it when a Pokemon roster has four slots and Zoroark being one of those four. It shows pessimism when the franchise is due for a fifth slot and will likely get at least that. I am, however, worried we could see just that, which is quite frankly, not only boring, but also would be upsetting to me due to the unnecessary removal of Lucario and the addition of Zoroark, a character that you obviously know I have no favorable opinion on.

Although a roster having just three character from the Zelda series is anything but ordinary.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well as I've been saying, Toon Link is more that tWW Link. I mean, it's not like the Wind Waker is any more battle-useful than the Ocarina.
It's perfect. :D Could base most of his moves on the vacuum/push effects Brawl introduced. Set "patches" of wind to blow opponents in a desired direction. Of course, he'd use his sword too.

And the Leaf. >:I

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I take it you haven't played any of the other games that featured "Toon Link?" =P There's plenty to choose from if you want a Toon-exclusive moveset.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Random thought. Anyone else think that the Bulblax Kingdom would provide an interesting Pikmin stage?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I just thought the Wind Waker would have some pretty interesting BATTLE USES, but I know there's plenty more to draw from. I mean, you could pretty much make a Smash game using only different Link incarnations. They could all be so different.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I brought this up earlier today, but what does everyone think of the planned Brawl roster? I mean with the forbidden 7 in? As if they were in it what would happen to the SSB4 roster seeing as there would have been major changes in reps per series:

Pokemon: 6 Slots
FE: 3 Slots
Zelda: 5 Slots
Mario: 5 Slots
D.K.: 2-3 Slots

Would it mean the SSB4 roster is bigger than we may think? Might this be a good prediction of the final SSB4 roster? Will we see these slots filled with these characters or with different ones? Or do these character who were cut don't matter at all and are just left over data?

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom