• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@SSBF

Finally someone responds to the topic I came up with in this day of trolling and Zelda debate. :p

Anyway, it will be a large surprise who gets the Pokemon slot. But at least with the planned Brawl roster having 6 planned Pokemon slots, this heavily raises the chances of 6 Pokemon slots for SSB4, and now practically guarantees Pokemon 5 slots.

Also using that data, FE is the only other franchise that is also more than likely to gain another spot, thanks to Roy. With recent FE support on Japanese sites and here of course. Plus the fact that Sakurai is a FE fanboy (as reported by Toise and confermed by an interview, I have a link), FE is the only other veteran franchise slot I think that is almost guaranteed to happen (that and maybe Metroid).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
What I really think is sad is that Metroid Prime only sold 1 or 2 million units (the original). That game barely gets any recognition from most gamers as a great game from that time (outside of serious Nintendo gamers), and it was a classic game. Seriously, that game was amazing. That was one of the best 20 bucks I've ever spent. (I only got the game like 2 or 3 months after it came out, too)
Sucks. Luckily Retro Studios is getting some good recognition nowadays.

AFAIK.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
People must not have hated it that much *At all three Toon Games*
Well reception for tWW after release was moderate to good, and it only went uphill from there. People have learned not to judge a game because of its art style. But the stigma remains.

They only used the toon style for the DS games because the DS's limited graphical abilities couldn't really do much else in 3D.

And I can say first hand that people are getting sick of the style.

The "Toon" style is technically used for the GBA games, but the in-game graphics are sprites anyway, so the style technically isn't in those games, despite being the style of the promotional materials.

I can tell you this much: the Toon Style isn't making Zelda game sales higher than it would have been with another style. The style is either detrimental, or has no real effect.

D

Deleted member

Never commented on my Orbulon moveset SSBF. Wanted your reaction.

Shortie, you should know I've wanted a playable Deoxys for a long time. If it were possible to scrap a 5th Generation playable character and go with Deoxys instead. I'd enjoy that.
Must have forgotten about it while making my big comment. Definitely not something that other characters can faithfully imitate. You have my attention now, all I need is the detail of the Final Smash. Orbulon may very well be the only WarioWare rep that I support for SSB4 as I find others to be bland and uninteresting.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
The style is still there though.
For better or worse. I think they need to move on from it. They're always talking about not wanting to be tied down by a single art style, but that's precisely what happened with the Toon style. >_>

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If Toon Link gets a new moveset, it should go something like this:

When trying to MOVE, you have to put in some commands and go through an animation you've seen a thousand times. He can then only move in that direction, and if you want to move in another you have to do it again. You can slow down to try and hit an opponent, but if you miss your target and try to move oh so slightly in one direction, you'll go barreling off in the wrong direction and get attacked by sharks.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Must have forgotten about it while making my big comment. Definitely not something that other characters can faithfully imitate. You have my attention now, all I need is the detail of the Final Smash. Orbulon may very well be the only WarioWare rep that I support for SSB4 as I find others to be bland and uninteresting.
Here is the full thing:

Orbulon

Weight Class: Mid

His movement is quirky, like Wario. Also like Wario he will defy a lot of the laws of Smash, and even some of those that are natural! He will be a comical take on the "alien" motif, allowing him for a very unique moveset.

A - jab
AA - kicks foot
AAA - hovers in air and kicks both feet forward

A Forward - uses both arms and pushes forward
A Crouch - Uses antannae to sweep the ground with a laser
A Up - Antannae shocks anyone above or surrounding him

Forward Smash - Fiddles with glasses, in front of him explodes with a burst of laser energy
Up Smash - Hovers on his back, making a large clap
Down Smash - Spins around, hitting opponents with his cape

Aerial - Uses three fingers to slash in front of him
Forward Aerial - Extends one hand foward, slapping opponent
Back Aerial - Swings head back to shock opponent
Up Aerial - Becomes a U.F.O and rams up into the air
Down Aerial - Kicks both feet down, utilizing his cleats

Grab - Antannae projects a tractor beam, pulling opponents too him
Forward Throw - Presses button that cause the gravity over the character to reverse itself. He then shoves them forward.
Back Throw - Fades behind them and punches opponent
Up Throw - Puts character on UFO and sends them skyward
Down Throw - Throws opponent under him, he then hovers above the character. Standing. Then he returns to normal gravity and comes down, stomping on them.

Up B - U.F.O (Unidentified Flying Orbulon): His lower half turns into a flying saucer, he will arc upwards quickly. Once finished he will hover in the air for a few seconds

Forward B - Alien Beam: Fires a beam from a cartoon-y ray gun. It won't function like any other gun based item in the game, think of Dr. Doom's aerial ray beam in MvC.

B - Alien Wave: His antennae begins to glow and he fires a bright purple ring forward.

Down B - Alien Invasion: Lower half becomes a flying saucer and he will hover slighty in the air, able to fire laser beams below his ship.

Final Smash - Mothership Oinker: Orbulong will send a S.O.S to his ship "The Oinker". The Oinker will come through the air as though too help him. Except it malfunctions before he can baord and crashes onto the stage (crashing diagonally from the side of the stage). It will have two parts.

The crash, and the second being when ship blows up. None of this affects Orbulon, except the explosion makes him look like charcoal.

By the way, this video will give you an idea of how his voice will sound. http://youtu.be/1g9pHLI3in0?t=1m23s

@Shortie: So much for trying to be nice... :|

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Shortie, you should know I've wanted a playable Deoxys for a long time. If it were possible to scrap a 5th Generation playable character and go with Deoxys instead. I'd enjoy that.
It really doesn't matter. I was talking about why we should look at reasons other than popularity and I knew the whole time it wasn't likely, or how a lot of characters are picked. That's what I was talking about.

I just know a lot about Pokemon's generation III and what major things it has done for the franchise. I still, and will always think those merits alone are enough to get a 3rd generation Pokemon as a playable character. Luckily, a Ruby/Sapphire remake has never been more likely, or possible. The situation it's in is similar to Gold and Silvers.

Anyways, we we're just discussing so it's not like you have to play a weird pity game. I'm not sore about it like a child.

@Shortie: So much for trying to be nice... :|
Just drop it >.>

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
For better or worse. I think they need to move on from it. They're always talking about not wanting to be tied down by a single art style, but that's precisely what happened with the Toon style. >_>
Nah, I think they just wanted to make Toon Link more animated, have better facial reactions, and add more humor. That's what they definitely did with the Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass (I haven't played Spirit Tracks; played every other Zelda game, though; Zelda II is a butt load of work).

A roster like this would make any Pokemon fan happy:

- Pikachu
- Jigglypuff
- Red
- Mewtwo
- Lucario
- Zoroark/Victini/Genesect/Meloetta

If the game for some reason gets 50-55 slots, then the franchise definitively earns six slots. Give it a seventh one if we get 55-60 slots. I think most Pokemon fans can agree that a franchise with so many potential candidates earns at least five slots.And universal roster, and ChronoBound's/Arcadenik's return, and information in regards to what Japanese want and more. But those moments were surely a terrible time to be part of this thread.
Pikachu and Jigglypuff are practically tenured in Smash Bros. A new Pokémon is guarenteed. Lucario will probably return, as will the Pokémon Trainer. And Mewtwo may rise again. If all of that happens, everyone will be happy.

Although if Pichu returned as I envision it (new move set, still hurts itself, but in exchange has "sweet spots" that do severe knockback and damage), or we got an original Plusle and Minun duo with great combination moves that don't rob the chus or the IC of their originality, that could be interesting as well. The more that can fit and be balanced, the better. But not Tingle. :laugh: :cool: :awesome:

And I think the Toon Link style makes Zelda appeal more to kids, which makes new fans. I've seen so many kids playing those DS games. I think the appeal to the younger crowd will make more dedicated gamers for life. After all, if you don't appeal to the youth, your fanbase will die out. That's why Nintendo is still around; they appeal to everyone the best they can.

Think about it: Comic Book fans died out for the most part because everything copied Watchmen and got all brutal looking, with nothing to appeal to kids like Spider-man or Superman in the days of old. Because of that, the audience is much smaller than it could have been if there was more appeal. Yet, manga is diverse and has many genres appeals to everyone, and that is still as popular as ever.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Is genesect really that popular? I think it's a really dorky looking pokemon. =P

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Is genesect really that popular? I think it's a really dorky looking pokemon. =P
Not just yet. I believe people are wondering about it's chances due to it's back story being similar to Mewtwo and Deoxys.

Also dorky looking? :p

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Toon Link gets a new moveset, it should go something like this:

When trying to MOVE, you have to put in some commands and go through an animation you've seen a thousand times. He can then only move in that direction, and if you want to move in another you have to do it again. You can slow down to try and hit an opponent, but if you miss your target and try to move oh so slightly in one direction, you'll go barreling off in the wrong direction and get attacked by sharks.
That sounds like Link in Brawl. Worthless and can't beat anyone.

Sucks. Luckily Retro Studios is getting some good recognition nowadays.
Seriously. I'm glad Metroid Prime 3 sold well, and I cannot be more thankful they revived Donkey Kong Country!

Speaking of which, that game's title screen theme would be an epic song. That song gives me goosebumps every time.

Genesect is the ultimate Pokémon, so of course it's popular. Still, I don't think it will be playable, seeing as how the last legendary was beyond powerful last generation in Arceus, and I have a feeling Genesect will be similar.

I'd rather see Zoroark. He's much more interesting looking, and could have an awesome move set.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I think Zoroark and Victini are cooler. My personal opinion. I don't really play pokemon, but I think they look cool.

I kinda lean toward victini because I like small characters in Smash.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't know how popular he is, but I like him. A few people mention him around here. Although I'm pretty sure it's only because he fits the villain role pretty easily. He was revived from a fossil if I recall correctly, and team Plasma made him this crazy Pokemon with a lazer on it's back. I feel Zoroark is expected a lot on part of him being an Anthro dog-ish pokemon. Victini and Meloetta are also talked about as well.

Genesect was revived from a Fossil and technology-enhanced by Team Plasma to create the most powerful Pokémon ever, but N had the project cancelled and the P2 Laboratory closed because he felt that Pokémon modified by science, who he thought to be perfect beings, lose their natural beauty. However, Scientist Dudley kept working on it, angry that N denied his talent. This scientist reconstructed Genesect and installed the cannon on its back.

D

Deleted member

OmegaXVII said:
Where is that essay anyway SSBFan??
It's been coming by slow due to work and having to catch-up on this thread, but I will get it done (eventually).
--- said:
Anyway, it will be a large surprise who gets the Pokemon slot. But at least with the planned Brawl roster having 6 planned Pokemon slots, this heavily raises the chances of 6 Pokemon slots for SSB4, and now practically guarantees Pokemon 5 slots.

Also using that data, FE is the only other franchise that is also more than likely to gain another spot, thanks to Roy. With recent FE support on Japanese sites and here of course. Plus the fact that Sakurai is a FE fanboy (as reported by Toise and confermed by an interview, I have a link), FE is the only other veteran franchise slot I think that is almost guaranteed to happen (that and maybe Metroid).
It hasn't been confirmed that Plusle and Minun were planned for the game, but more likely then not they were, so I'll take it as that for the mean time.

I agree that a large surprise is definitely possible or Game Freak using less wanted but still good choices. I've noticed that in Melee, people wanted Heracross but we got Pichu. In Brawl, fans wanted Deoxys or Blaziken, but we ended up with Lucario. Right now, people want either Zoroark or Victini. While it's possible that it'll finally break the cycle of less popular Pokemons getting in over more popular ones, because of Melee and Brawl, it opens up the slight possibility of Genesect and Meloetta being picked over the two most commonly suggested characters, even though the haven't been revealed yet (Development does start this October, but finalization of roster will likely not happen until late 2012, so the Pokemon who stars in the next movie may get the spot over the ones that is frequently debated about). Technically, what I'm saying is that while the most likely candidates are either Zoroark and Victini right now, it doesn't mean it'll stay that way. It is because of the Forbidden Seven that I think the Pokemon franchise will finally get five slots.

As for us getting six slots, I don't expect us to get that much, but it is possible and it allows for much more variety. It guarantees one of Mewtwo/Lucario's return, it could make 5th gen the first one with two Pokemons not from the first gen, it could finally give us a 3rd gen Pokemon like Deoxys, etc. Either way, out of the Big Three (Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda), I think Pokemon is the most likely to gain six slots and based off what we have, a fifth one is likely. At this rate, I would be disappointed if either Mario or Pokemon were relegated to four slots.

D

Deleted member

HextupleyooDOT said:
No but if it is the next Pokemon to get a movie, expect it's popularity to sky-rocket.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
Victini and Meloetta are also talked about as well.
Definitely Victini. As a matter of fact, a couple of days ago, Victini vs. Zoroark was a hot topic on that forum (GameFAQs) and there are debates in regards to this on this forum nearly every day. However, I have seen barely any mention of Meloetta until ChronoBound brought it up two days ago, but I will say that I find the Pokemon very interesting and a decent choice for a rep. It's too bad it hasn't been revealed yet, hopefully it gets a movie next summer.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I just wish if they were planning on promoting a pokemon that it wouldn't be designed to look like a living AAT tank on a nabisco mascot....

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think Zoroark and Victini are cooler. My personal opinion. I don't really play pokemon, but I think they look cool.

I kinda lean toward victini because I like small characters in Smash.
Yeah, Victini could definitely be an awesome mini character with a lot of power and a lot of unique quick attacks. However, I give Zoroark the edge IMO because I love Zoroark's physical build. It could lean over like Wolf does, be mean and nasty in the battlefield trenches, and really cause some high speed chaos. It would be the perfectly nasty combination of pure speed and pure power all packed into one Pokémon.

Either way, we got two excellent leading candidates for 5th Gen Representation, at least for now. You never know where things will sway when SSB4 comes out, or where Sakurai will sway with his character choices. (I also typed "when Brawl comes out!") :laugh:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wish I was around during the Melee days. "For Brawl" at the end of each hopeful's name worked well, but "Ridley for Melee" has even even nicer ring to it.

Kind of maybe.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
LET'S GET PREDICTION TIERS UP HERE.

From Who has the highest chance of characters being in the game to the "No. This is way off"

Get them Predicts organized, shall we?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
was there even much of a community anticipation for Melee? It came out a mere 2 years after the first game. >_>

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
LET'S GET PREDICTION TIERS UP HERE.

From Who has the highest chance of characters being in the game to the "No. This is way off"
Ridley for God Tier.

was there even much of a community anticipation for Melee? It came out a mere 2 years after the first game. >_>
Supposedly enough of a community existed to rage about the "nightmare roster."

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I keep having to backspace and replace "Brawl" with SSB4 as well =P
Me too. It's weird, because I've been doing this long enough to get it right.

It's too bad it hasn't been revealed yet, hopefully it gets a movie next summer.
Or at least an event so the massess know who they are. As for Genesect, his cannon can shoot like, five different types of beams. This could be used in smash and maybe bring something new to the table when it comes to playstyle. Like Olimar, but less frustraiting.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It sounds like The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
The Wind Waker was a great game. Sure, it was easy (every Zelda game that isn't Zelda II is easy), but it had excellent dungeons, and some fun quests and mini-quests.

Plus the way Toon Link killed Ganondorf was awesome. Toon Link in the Wind Waker killed Ganondorf by jumping twenty feet in the air and stabbing him square in the head and turned him into stone. All Ocarina of Time Link did was seal him away. Sure Twilight Princess Link stabbed him in the gut and left his sword there, but a little boy turned a grown 30 foot giant into stone. That's hardcore.

I keep having to backspace and replace "Brawl" with SSB4 as well =P
were all the same!
Glad I'm not the only one. Now I don't feel as stupid about it. :awesome: :oneeye: :cool:

I wish I was around during the Melee days. "For Brawl" at the end of each hopeful's name worked well, but "Ridley for Melee" has even even nicer ring to it.

Kind of maybe.
Seriously Oasis. Then you and I would be even more hardcore Ridley fans, albeit the SmashBoards doesn't need that. :awesome: :grin: :cool:

Speaking of which, Ridley is the only characters that wasn't made up in SSB64 to appear in the game and not be playable? (Pokémon aside; including Dedede, who appeared in the background of Dreamland 64)

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
What I'm curious about is what characters were planned for Brawl but didn't make the cut due to time constraints.....

Almost undoubtedly they'd be in the next one....

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What I'm curious about is what characters were planned for Brawl but didn't make the cut due to time constraints.....

Almost undoubtedly they'd be in the next one....
Besides the forbidden seven, and supposedly an Animal Crosser character, we don't know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom