• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

MechaWave said:
What do you guys think the physics for Smash 4 be? Should it fast-paced like Melee? Slow and steady like Brawl? Or combo-heavy as 64? Or just brand new?
I'd liked it to be somewhere in between Melee and Brawl.
Starphoenix said:
I think nLIM8d had his account hacked.
:(

Very disappointed to hear this. I actually enjoyed having him around while it lasted.
soviet prince said:
@ssbf fixed spelling and added saki, and really lets be less pessimistic

45 voters so far

direct link to the poll

http://booroo.com/s.asp?sid=dwi2hgezamk0ynk13709
Question, do we have to vote again? And does my vote for Saki (When I typed in the box) count or do I have to vote for Saki Amamiya for it to count?
Hoots said:
I joined the Kremling Kees and even made a post! Imma make them boys work for K Rool!
Looking forward to see what you just posted.
Starphoenix said:
PCAM is the collective network those of us doing our character alliances fall under. Instead of having small little groups everywhere we all came together and decided to help one another by creating a cohesiveness throughout every group. Right now Super Smash Bros. Fan, Barbasol and myself have been the most active. Although my time is going to greatly diminish in a couple of weeks once classes begin.

I'm about ready to turn over my Saki group to someone else, I'm spending more of my time focusing on my Slime and Chocobo group. Trying to sustain two groups will and is biting off more than I can chew.
That's pretty much what PCAM is.

You might want to PM a Saki supporter like shinhed-echi that has the time to take over the group and is interested in this.
OmegaXVII said:
It seems like everybody will be busy very soon, it means this thread will most likely be dead during the morning and more "hyped" during the evenings I assume.
Yeah my activity will go down dramatically when school starts for me on August 22nd, 2011, though I will try to work it to where it doesn't affect PCAM too much.
OmegaXVII said:
Ha, that's some good history you found there, but yea even I have had some grammar issue back then, I totally used to act and type like a typical scrub, I was heavily ignored.
I also had some grammatical issues back in the day. Makes me glad I have something to correct my spelling.
soviet prince said:
well is there any characters I missed big or small in my poll?

http://booroo.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=dwi2hgezamk0ynk13709
Super Mario Bros.: Add Dr. Mario to the list, he was in Melee

The Legend of Zelda: You forgot Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik, a possible candidate for SSB4.

Pokemon: You missed Deoxys and Pichu. Both are unlikely but have a chance of being playable. Also add Blaziken to the list, he was highly popular back in Brawl.

Retro: Lip should be added as a possible choice.

3rd Party: Rayman, Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, Jill Valentine Amy (Sonic), Grey Fox (Metal Gear), Raiden (Metal Gear), Tom Nook, Animal Crossing character, Mii, Pac-man, Cassandra (Soul Caliber), Sophitia Alexander, Young Link (as he is different from Toon Link in appearance)

Star Fox: Leon from Star Fox should be added.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm curious why Ghirahim seems any more likely than Midna & Wolf Link were for Brawl? Skyward Sword won't be released by the time development starts, and while that doesn't necessarily rule him out completely, you could have said the same thing for Midna. Skyward Sword is going to be a years-old game by the time Sm4sh is released, so why "promote" it any more than they promoted Twilight Princess in Brawl? We had Bridge of Eldin (andwellnewTPdesignsforLoZcharacters) but that was it. Sure, we'll probably see a Skyloft stage or something, but I doubt we'll see Ghirahim playable.

I mean, you don't necessarily need a PLAYABLE CHARACTER to represent every little thing, lol.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Because he might be a promotion character, think of Roy for example, his game didn't come out during Melee development yet he was still added to the Melee roster, regardless if he's a one-shot character or not he still has a likely chance if Miyamoto wants him in.

Even after his game was released years later people still want Roy for SSB4, why wouldn't it apply to Ghirahim as well?

:phone:

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Because he might be a promotion character, think of Roy for example, his game didn't come out during Melee development yet he was still added to the Melee roster, regardless if he's a one-shot character or not he still has a likely chance if Miyamoto wants him in.

I don't think Miyamoto is working on SS, is he? I thought he turned over development to Eiji Aounuma.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Even after his game was released years later people still want Roy for SSB4, why wouldn't it apply to Ghirahim as well?
Because Roy was ACTUALLY IN Smash once before. Lol.

The example with Roy doesn't even match since Roy's game HAD YET TO BE RELEASED even when Melee was released. So he was an actual promotional character, whereas Skyward Sword will be at least a couple years old by the time Sm4sh is released.

Again though, I'm saying you could probably make a parallel between Ghirahim and Midna. The situation for both is very similar. Midna wasn't in as a promotion (as though LoZ even needs promotion) so why should one expect Ghirahim would be...?

Obviously it's not COMPLETELY OUT OF THE QUESTION, but it seems weird that some people are expecting it when there's not much of a... uh... precedent? for it.

D

Deleted member

@Oasis_S: One thing to note was that Midna was simply a major ally in Twilight Princess. Ghirahim is going to be the main villain of Skyward Swords and if Ganondorf doesn't make a surprise appearance and Ghirahim is the final boss, Ghirahim will actually stand a better shot of being playable then Midna ever did.

We also need to factor in how well the game does. If the game is as successful as Twilight Princess if not more, Ghirahim could very well beat out Tingle for the possible fifth Zelda spot.

Also, remember that Sheik was a one-shot by the time Melee and Brawl came out and she still got in. Being one-shot alone is not going to keep Ghirahim off.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Eh, that's true (though is it actually confirmed that Ghirahim is THE main antagonist?) but they're both still major characters in their respective games despite differing roles.

I dunno about sales, but I would imagine how well the game is received, ESPECIALLY THE CHARACTER IN QUESTION, would be more important.

About Sheik, I'm not sure why people say that. She IS ZELDA, lol. Sheik got on the Melee polls, and Sakurai thought "Oh, I can accommodate her as part of Zelda." I don't think that's too much of a farfetched assumption to make. He loves his gimmicks.

ANYWAY, again about Midna, supposedly she is hugely popular within the Zelda community, and since Ghirahim's game isn't out yet, I wonder if she would place much higher than he does (still below Tingle I bet, lol).

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Today has been a rather slow day. Guess that is what happens over the weekend for people who have lives... Last time I was honored to be able to post a special guest concept, but this time it's time to return to the normal routine. Dealing with me. This is one of those stages that I'm 100% positive is going to happen, but let's still have fun with it anyways? Not need to get burned just because of that, am I right?

The Geothermal Powerplant from Other M, the signature locale in the game for both good and bad reasons... You fight Ridley in this stage and it would act as his Super Smash 4 homestage.

This stage isn't a walk off, obviously. On top of that it is fairly simple and straightforward. It will be a normal sized stage with the inclusion of two platforms on each side of the stage. These will be important as this stage still has a few tricks to it...

Notice that large pipe in the middle of the stage? Doesn't it look like the platform is able to travel up and down? Well that is correct, it can and it WILL! During set times in the match the stage will actually lower, traveling down the pipe towards the lower lava level. As it lowers the stage will spin, causing the platforms to circle above you. Thus making them unusable during the process of moving.

Once you reach the bottom your battle field will expand as outside of the platform you will see small isle of rock platforms in the lava. So just chill along the bottom until you return to the surface. A neat little cameo at the floor level will be that of the lava creature boss from Other M swimming along the pool of lava, occasionally raising it's eyes' to look at the players ahead.

Once it is time to return to the surface the lava will begin pouring from along the walls, covering the rock platforms and causing the stage to elevate. Be careful as the lava will still be pouring even as the stage rises. It will act as a barrier around the edges of the stage meaning during this phase players can only be star KO'd. Every one else will simply run into lava.

Not much else to it, we have our complimentary acid/lava hazard stage without it being something that is annoying and shoved upon us. A fair trade.

Stage Example
..__........__

Bottom floor example:* **

....................__........__
=-==x----=xx___________xxxx|===|

*"X"=Lava
**"=" "-" represents rock formation

Metroid: Other M - Ridley
Metroid: Other M - Brug Mass
Metroid: Other M - Desbrachian
Metroid: Other M - Queen Metroid
Metroid Prime - Magmoor Caverns
Metroid: Zero Mission - Kraid's Lair
Metroid II - SR388
Metroid Fusion - Sector 1 (Brawl)
Metroid Prime - Parasite Queen (Brawl)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes- Vs. Meta Ridley (Brawl)
Disaster: Day of Crisis - Main Theme
Gameboy Camera - Shooting medley ~ Shoot 1 ~ Shoot 2 ~ Items

So, it has taken awhile to write this for an otherwise non-assuming stage. Still hope everyone enjoys it as usual.

OmegaXXII

Tingle is definetly up there but IMO he isn't deserving enough, maybe Midna is more but just isn't as relevant as Ghirahim is, I don't think Ganon will be going anywhere though, he's too big of a villain to be easily brushed aside, if anything happens with the Zelda series it's that they might get a 5th rep instead.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
IT'S A COOL CONCEPT, but oh goodness I hope it doesn't happen. That would put us closer to getting Other M Ridley. Plus I want Ridley to have Norfair as his stage.

HUUUARRRGH STRONGEST FEAR OF CHANGE IN THE WHOLE WORLD HUUUUARRRGH

...It'd be even worse if Ridley was instead a stage hazard like in that Dead or Alive 3DS game.

OmegaXXII

Ha! Funny star put a picture of Ridley on there...anybody say Stage Hazard Ridley?? :awesome:

Also whats the difference between Ridley's Other M look and Norfair?

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Great work yet again Star, although I did see this stage coming. (Blame DoA 3DS XP)

In honesty this may be the most likely stage to happen so far; but as said it would be a perfect and epic homestage for Ridley. Now I'm just waiting on the predicted Tourian stage. ;)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Ha! Funny star put a picture of Ridley on there...any say Stage Hazard?? :awesome:

Stop trying to instigate something with Oasis, I only posted those pictures for setting references. lol

Tried to also add some dynamic elements to this stage.

Great work yet again Star, although I did see this stage coming. (Blame DoA 3DS XP)

In honesty this may be the most likely stage to happen so far; but as said it would be a perfect and epic homestage for Ridley. Now I'm just waiting on the predicted Tourian stage. ;)
Sorry, not going to happen. :(

I already did Skytown Elysia and now Geothermal Powerplant, I also have Norfair returning as the Brawl Metroid stage. So those are 3 right there. In fact, maybe my next stage concept shouldn't be an actual concept, but a write up on all of the stages from Brawl I feel will be returning?

Kind of did already: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13122521&postcount=19786

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Here are the list of stages I see returning from Brawl:

Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Bros.*
Pirate Ship
Norfair
75m*
Pokémon Stadium 2
Port Town - Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island
Halberd
Castle Siege
Summit
Skyworld
Lylat Cruise
Warioware Inc.
Distant Planet*
New Pork City*
Flat Zone 2
Smashville
Pictochat

Third Party stages:**
Shadow Moses
Green Hill

Cut:
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion***
Bridge of Eldin :'(
Rumble Falls
Spear Pillar
Hanenbow
All Melee Stages :'( x2

*This one could easily go either way.
**Assuming Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog return
***Luigi's Mansion will instead be replaced by a new Luigi's Mansion stage, incorporating the 3DS sequel.

OmegaXXII

@Starphoenix: Hmm...don't you think that a little too many stages too be returning? I can of course see it if thet were offered through DLC which I'm pretty much doubting as of now.

I mean, how many Melee stages did we see in Brawl? Probably not more than 10, I suppose most of the stages will be brand new original stages, I wouldn't really say that half of Smash 4's stages will be Brawl based, not that it can't happen, but I just don't see that many stages happening.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Starphoenix: Hmm...don't you think that a little too many stages too be returning? I can of course see it if thet were offered through DLC which I'm pretty much doubting as of now.

I mean, how many Melee stages did we see in Brawl? Probably not more than 10, I suppose most of the stages will be brand new original stages, I wouldn't really say that if of Smash 4's stages will be Brawl based, not that it can't happen, but I just don't see that many stages happening.

You could be right. Consider the size of Melee's stage count versus Brawl's, it is obviously larger. Another interesting tidbit, the stage count for each title has always been approximately the same size as the roster, in Brawl it was over. So to have twenty stages return, with twenty new ones isn't that unprecedented if we have a roster of 40-45. Having stages return is a way of boosting the stage count by using assets already in creation, and since they are using Brawl as the starting point that would mean it would be easier (not that it would be easy) for things such as this to transition.

Even with DLC, look at what I said. I said these were the stages I could see returning, that is all. Notice I also listed 3 stages that I thought could easily be cut too. Which would reduce the count to seventeen.

Sakurai even admitted it is possible to double the stage count with the amount of power the Wii U possesse's.

D

Deleted member

Starphoenix said:
You could be right. Consider the size of Melee's stage count versus Brawl's, it is obviously larger. Another interesting tidbit, the stage count for each title has always been approximately the same size as the roster, in Brawl it was over. So to have twenty stages return, with twenty new ones isn't that unprecedented if we have a roster of 40-45. Having stages return is a way of boosting the stage count by using assets already in creation, and since they are using Brawl as the starting point that would mean it would be easier (not that it would be easy) for things such as this to transition.
There's no reason to not expect at least a late 40s roster for stages. I honestly can see it going up to mid 50s.
Chris the Ripper said:
Everyones returing,no one is getting cut.
We'll have to see. Right now, Lucario's fate doesn't look good.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sorry, not going to happen. :(

I already did Skytown Elysia and now Geothermal Powerplant, I also have Norfair returning as the Brawl Metroid stage. So those are 3 right there. In fact, maybe my next stage concept shouldn't be an actual concept, but a write up on all of the stages from Brawl I feel will be returning?
I still think another NES stage is more likely than a Prime 3 stage, but oh well. It's all opinion. ;)

Too bad though it's all yet again up to Sakurai. XP

OmegaXXII

Even with DLC, look at what I said. I said these were the stages I could see returning, that is all. Notice I also listed 3 stages that I thought could easily be cut too. Which would reduce the count to seventeen.

Sakurai even admitted it is possible to double the stage count with the amount of power the Wii U possesse's.
Hmm..you do seem to have a point, what I was referring to though is that Sakurai might want to include more of the new stages moreso than Brawl's, I guess with the massive power that the Wii-U is going to have I can probably see this happening, maybe not as much in the 3DS but I won't get into that.

Also I thought I read an article where Sakurai simply might not want to double the stages or character roster for that matter, I have the link but I have to look for it.

Where did Sakurai mention that he wanted to double stages? Apperently I must have missed such an article. :/

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I still think another NES stage is more likely than a Prime 3 stage, but oh well. It's all opinion. ;)

Too bad it's all yet again up to Sakurai. XP
Well you have to consider that since Brawl we had both Corruption and the Metroid Prime Trilogy released. After that was Other M. It isn't so ludicrous to expect another Prime stage considering we will be losing two Metroid stages in the transition to Smash Bros 4.

Hmm..you do seem to have a point, what I was referring to though is that Sakurai might want to include more od the new stages moreso than Brawl's, I guess with the massive power that the Wii-U is going to have I can probably see this happening, maybe not as much in the 3DS but I won't get into that.

Also I thought I read an article where Sakurai simply might not want to double the stages or character roster for that matter, I have the link but I have to look for it.

Where did Sakurai mention that he wanted to double stages? Apperently I must have missed such an article. :/

What he said is he CAN double the stages and roster count, but that isn't all he wants to do.

Sakurai had actually begun thinking about what he'd do with the next Smash Bros. while he worked on Kid Icarus. He felt that it would be wrong to make a mere extension of Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He did not feel that it would be right to just increase the volume, adding 50 characters or doubling the stages for instance. He also felt it would be wrong to just improve the visuals. This is why he felt that selecting to make the game for the console just because it would have greater performance would be wrong.

"There's a lot of implied differences between the 3DS and WiiU versions. The issue of limitations (or lack thereof) come up ("I could make 50 characters, or double the stages, or make everything prettier (graphically), but with the WiiU I don't have to choose just one of those options"), while he runs into that problem with the 3DS, "maybe something fun like the original smash bros." adding something about a handicap."
Some people have misinterpeted this to mean he won't add much in the way of content. But read it carefully and you will see he isn't saying that at all. What he is saying is that doubling the stages and roster count without adding anything else is not what he as a developer wants to do. That is why he feels comfortable developing a 3DS installment as he says, because he isn't looking at the game in terms of pure volume.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That Ridley is a different character, based on the information that I got from the Metroid Wiki.

THE Ridley is the one who killed Samus's parents.

Speaking of which, it would be pretty amusing if THE Ridley is playable, while the Other M Ridley is a boss.
How you put it, I must admit is confusing.

The original Ridley died in Super Metroid.

The Other M Ridley is the original's accidental clone, who was killed at the end of the game and became the Parasite X infected corpse in Metroid Fusion.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
How you put it, I must admit is confusing.

The original Ridley died in Super Metroid.

The Other M Ridley is the original's accidental clone, who was killed in at the end of the game and became the infected corpse in Fusion.
You think that's weird, Ridley appeared in Super Metroid, which took place after Omega Ridley's demise in Metroid Prime 3.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have been on GameFAQs for over a decade. However, here I am closing in on five years.

I founded the Roy for Smash 4 Support group, Knights of Elibe. Can KOE be a part of PCAM? Though that group has been around since 2009.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
WAIT!I got real stage idea .

What if you could take a picture of something with the Wii-U controller,use the picture as a background,edit it with Stage Editor 2.0 to give it obstacles,ladders,blocks,etc.,and give it custom music you download or choose from the Wii-U database.(Same applies to 3DS)

Best idea out of this thread. :awesome:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You think that's weird, Ridley appeared in Super Metroid, which took place after Omega Ridley's demise in Metroid Prime 3.
Yeah, I've been wondering about that, but then again in the manga he could recover by eating people and absorbing their dead cells to regenerate.

New Special Move? :awesome:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I have been on GameFAQs for over a decade. However, here I am closing in on five years.

I founded the Roy for Smash 4 Support group, Knights of Elibe. Can KOE be a part of that? Though that group has been around since 2009.
Congratulations. If anything your group deserves such a celebration as well for being such a long standing alliance. After Brawl most groups disbanded, so it is pretty rare to see one still standing. Only now are myself and other beginning alliances, which is in response to the impending inception of Smash Bros 4's development.

WAIT!I got real stage idea .

What if you could take a picture of something with the Wii-U controller,use the picture as a background,edit it with Stage Editor 2.0 to give it obstacles,ladders,blocks,etc.,and give it custom music you download or choose from the Wii-U database.(Same applies to 3DS)

Best idea out of this thread. :awesome:
That is actually a good idea Chris. See, when you set your mind too it you can do something positive and constructive.

OmegaXXII

What he said is he CAN double the stages and roster count, but that isn't all he wants to do.

Some people have misinterpeted this to mean he won't add much in the way of content. But read it carefully and you will see he isn't saying that at all. What he is saying is that doubling the stages and roster count without adding anything else is not what he as a developer wants to do. That is why he feels comfortable developing a 3DS installment as he says, because he isn't looking at the game in terms of pure volume.
So what are you suggesting? That Sakurai might include more stages even though he feels he doesn't need to have it all in terms of volume? Hmm...puzzling indeed, but how does the 3DS play in all this? I might be misintrepreting that a bit.

OmegaXXII

Expand on it!!! Good Chris, you deserve a muffin from Derpy!

@Hex: Hey! :)

we were just talking about stage inclusion and such, look at Star's latest stage concept a page back.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So what are you suggesting? That Sakurai might include more stages even though he feels he doesn't need to have it all in terms of volume? Hmm...puzzling indeed, but how does the 3DS play in all this? I might be misintrepreting that a bit.

What I'm saying is that Sakurai's mentaliity isn't restricted to making a sequel that increases the content so many times and leaving it at that. For better or worse he always is trying to bring new content and features with each title. This is why he expresses so much enthusiasm in finding unique ways of connecting the 3DS and Wii U installment. This isn't to say we won't have 40 stages or that it is unlikely to even go higher. But Sakurai's goal isn't to just throw more stuff in the pot and call it a sequel. That is what he is saying.

As I said, each title has had a roster count roughly around the size of the total roster. So to take an overly pessimistic route really isn't necessary. How the ratio of new stages and old stages will play out, I couldn't tell you. But to expect one per franchise at the very leat, as with Melee, isn't entirely unreasonable. At least in my opinion.

Evening, fellas. Anything interesting happen? =P
If you're interested you are welcome to look at my latest stage concept. The writing is a little sloppy so excuse that.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13142125&postcount=21608

Outside of that the rest has been a, surpsisingly, slow day.

Off topic: Noticed I'm a Smash Champion now. Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom