• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Which makes me wonder if Nintendo officially owns Xenosaga now since they did buy Monolith. If they did, they could do that and make a new Xenosaga game.

I'm happy that the Koopalings will be in New Super Mario Bros. 2! It makes up for the fact that Boom Boom and Pom Pom replaced them in Super Mario 3D Land since they were originally planned. :)
Hmmm... no Bowser Jr.? Interesting...

Hey, so does anyone think we may get more retro characters this time around? Or just the one (Takamaru) like we've been anticipating?
You talk like we have been getting only one retro character per Smash when we have been getting at least two retro characters each in Melee (Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch) and Brawl (Pit and R.O.B.). One popular and one bizarre. I think the trend would continue into SSB4.

Takamaru and Duck Hunt Dog for Smash! :awesome:

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
If we have two retro characters, I wouldn't be able to tell a popular one from a bizarre one. I could only know the source material, not gauge it.

Alas, if Takamaru has to be one of them, the other one needs to be Balloon Fighter. Why? Because he was so close to being playable in Melee, but got trumped by the Ice Climbers at the last minute so they could introduce tag teams. It's approaching 2 installments later, and they have yet to finish what they started!

D

Deleted member

Uh, no. Balloon Fighter wasn't even in the game to begin with.

He was one of the characters considered, but was deemed useless without his balloons.
However, with Olimar being useless without his Pikmin, Balloon Fighter may have another chance.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
To Yuiitusin: I never said Balloon Fighter was "In" Melee, just that he was close to being playable.

Arcadenik, I've seen a lot of character lists, but right now yours, above all else, is where I hope someone doesn't get their way. Not only do you have Duck Hunt Dog, but Tingle and Starfy. Starfy is one thing, but I have a question for all the rest of the Tingle supporters:

The fact that Tingle hasn't appeared in a mainline Zelda title since The Minish Cap is the least of my worries. The more important question is: Who really wants to play as a wimpy, groaning 35 year old who thinks he's the reincarnation of a fairy, and sells and decodes maps for a living, and rips people off with his steep price tag to decode said maps? Because that's the bulk of Tingle's importance to the Zelda franchise. And NO, I can't explain why I don't want to touch Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land with a 20 foot pole, let alone think about why I should.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Hey, so does anyone think we may get more retro characters this time around? Or just the one (Takamaru) like we've been anticipating?
I think Takamaru would be an interesting choice. An other option would be Balloon fighter and would Little Mac count? I mean he is from the NES era before having an SNES and Wii game.

As for the hopes of mutiple retro/WTF characters. I'd be against it because I think a Smash game only needs 1 or 2 of those type of characters per game. Like Brawl had R.O.B. and Pit who were from the NES era. Any more than that would be too much. I think they should focus on bringing more characters who are from a series that need more representation like Ridley(Metroid) or King K. Rool(DK).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we have two retro characters, I wouldn't be able to tell a popular one from a bizarre one. I could only know the source material, not gauge it.
Good thing that's not a problem that most people share. It is generally quite clear that the "popular" retro character is the one promoted from the beginning and generally expected, while the "bizarre" and obscure one is usually only announced after the game is out (even though it's already been leaked) and is unlockable, as well as being a lot more unexpected. Plus gauging popularity is a fairly critical piece to realistic Smash speculation, as well as official roster creation. If characters were judged without taking popularity into account, the speculation and results would be quite different.

Alas, if Takamaru has to be one of them, the other one needs to be Balloon Fighter. Why? Because he was so close to being playable in Melee, but got trumped by the Ice Climbers at the last minute so they could introduce tag teams. It's approaching 2 installments later, and they have yet to finish what they started!
He wasn't "replaced" by the Ice Climbers to add the tag-team mechanic, he was considered and then rejected because Sakurai couldn't think of how to use him without balloons. He might still become playable in a future Smash, but by your logic, we should add Meowth, Excitebiker, Urban Champion, Bubbles, Plusle & Minun, Toon Zelda and Sheik, and any other character that was considered to be playable, just on the basis that they were once a possibility.

Arcadenik, I've seen a lot of character lists, but right now yours, above all else, is where I hope someone doesn't get their way. Not only do you have Duck Hunt Dog, but Tingle and Starfy. Starfy is one thing, but I have a question for all the rest of the Tingle supporters:
Starfy has a decent chance. His games have sold fairly well (well enough to make it overseas -- where it also sold decently), he has potential for a unique moveset, and is fairly popular (especially in Japan, where he is one of the more requested characters).

The fact that Tingle hasn't appeared in a mainline Zelda title since The Minish Cap is the least of my worries. The more important question is: Who really wants to play as a wimpy, groaning 35 year old who thinks he's the reincarnation of a fairy, and sells and decodes maps for a living, and rips people off with his steep price tag to decode said maps? Because that's the bulk of Tingle's importance to the Zelda franchise. And NO, I can't explain why I don't want to touch Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land with a 20 foot pole, let alone think about why I should.
Tingle hasn't appeared in a mainline Zelda game since Minish Cap because they gave him his own series, which only happens due to popularity. Just because you and the majority of NA don't like Tingle, doesn't mean that he is unanimously hated. He is popular enough in Japan (where character popularity counts the most for Smash) to receive three separate titles in his series, and is the most popular Zelda character not yet playable. Personally I don't see the great appeal, but it is inarguable that he will remain, for the foreseable future, the most requested and popular Zelda character (flavor of the month characters aside) who isn't Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf.

So for as to who wants to play as a wimpy, groaning 35 year old who thinks he's the reincarnation of a fairy? A couple hundred thousand people, as just the first game in his series sold nearly 300k. I could care less if he's added, and if he wasn't abhorred in NA so much he would probably be fairly likely, but national hatred aside, he is still the most likely (and most popular) Zelda character left. Especially when the Ghirahim hype fully dies down (as its done previously for Skull Kid, Vaati, and Midna).

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Who really wants to play as a wimpy, groaning 35 year old who thinks he's the reincarnation of a fairy, and sells and decodes maps for a living, and rips people off with his steep price tag to decode said maps?
I want to.

Because I have nothing to contribute here is my starter roster. I am reworking on the complete one but I'm pretty down with this for the time being. The only thing that hasn't changed in revision

I tried a few things on arranging the roster.
  • Series sharing characters are connected
  • Related series by spin-off or theme are connected as much as I could (Yoshi and Wario to Mario, space themed, retro, etc)
  • All new characters make up the border (save random)
  • When looking for new characters, I went for a mix of the inevitable (Zoroark, Little Mac) and my personal tastes (Ryota)
  • I also look at selection as a celebration of Nintendo's history, looking back at each Gen/Console for a "face" not yet repped in Smash.
  • My tastes are pretty idiosyncratic
  • EDIT: I just realized that DK and Mario should be connected, eh, **** it

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Tingle would be like Jigglypuff in Smash. He's there to be beaten up.
Why would we want another character to beat up? Tingle has one of the weirdest fan bases and I guess I'll never understand why anyone would waste a slot on a character like this when the Zelda series has better options.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
To Yuiitusin: I never said Balloon Fighter was "In" Melee, just that he was close to being playable.

In that case, Urban Champion, Excitebiker, and Bubbles from Clu Clu Land need to be in Smash 4 because they were close to being playable, too.

Tingle > Balloon Fighter IMO. That's why I have Tingle in my roster. Balloon Fight, the game, is boring. Sure, the Balloon Fighter character is interesting and shows some potential. But Tingle offers so much more. Tingle can do the same things that Balloon Fighter can (thanks to Tingle's Balloon Fight) but he can do so much more than Balloon Fighter cannot. And it's all thanks to Tingle's own games in addition to his roles in the main Zelda games.

I even came up with special moves for Tingle.

B: Tingle Shield - Tingle uses fairy magic to encase himself in a Rupee-shaped shield. The shield shatters and breaks into small Rupees when the shield is hit. Green shield would yield 1% damage and causes the opponent to trip. Blue shield would yield 5% damage. Yellow shield yields 10% and red shield yields 20%. Purple shield yields 50% and can OHKO the opponent but this color is very rare.

Side B: Stray Fairy - Tingle opens a bottle and releases a Stray Fairy. The Stray Fairy flies towards the opponent and does something to them. Pink fairies cause opponents to fall asleep like Jigglypuff's Sing (refers Goron's Lullaby). Orange fairies (stun and poison opponents like a combination between Mewtwo's Disable and Olimar's white Pikmin (refers the poison waters of Woodfall Temple). Green fairies burn enemies while blue fairies freeze enemies like Lucas's PK Fire and PK Freeze (refers the Fire and Ice Arrows in Snowhead and Great Bay Temples). Yellow fairies shock enemies with electricity like Pikachu's Thunder (refers the Light Arrows in Stone Tower Temple).

Up B: Tingle Bomb - Tingle does not get a recovery move because his balloon enables him to float around like Jigglypuff. Tingle is the Jigglypuff of the Zelda series in Smash. So, instead of a third jump, Tingle throws bombs like Yoshi throws eggs.

Down B: Tingle Watch - Tingle wears a clock around his neck. I took the creative liberty to have Tingle use the Magic Clock from the first Zelda game. Tingle tosses a clock at the enemy. Time slows down if that opponent gets hit by Tingle's clock. Tingle and the other opponents are on normal speed but the affected opponent is moving slowly. This allows Tingle to rush in and do his walls of pain. Useful against speedy opponents like Fox, Sheik, and the like. Tingle can only slow down one opponent at a time.

Final Smash: Kooloo-Limpah! - Tingle does his little dance and then he starts flying around with his balloon. He then throws hundreds of Rupees all over the stage as if he has a Rupee machine gun. This was from Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland where Tingle had to fight the final boss by shooting thousands of Rupees.

Why would we want another character to beat up? Tingle has one of the weirdest fan bases and I guess I'll never understand why anyone would waste a slot on a character like this when the Zelda series has better options.
Beter options? Most of them are one-time characters who most likely will never be in another Zelda game. At least Tingle has his own spin-off games to back him up so he wouldn't need to have the Triforce icon, he can have the Rupee icon. This would be appropriate because it represents Tingle not appearing in Zelda games anymore and he does in fact has his own spin-off series.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
Arcadenik is right. The only two characters who even compete with Tingle as possible Zelda characters are Impa and Vaati (or a Toon clone). Everyone else is flavour of the month; here one Zelda, gone the next.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It's a possibility with fewer newer series to take from. He may do more. But it's hard to say. I don't think this comment is an end all be all.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
We'll at this point, anything is possible when it comes to retro characters. Like I stated before, I think the two hypothetical retro characters would be Takamaru and Sheriff. Takamaru representing an abandoned franchise in a similar vein to Kid Icarus, and Sheriff for having some historical significance by being the main character of one of Nintendo's earliest video games. But again, we barely know anything at this point, which makes thinking about who or what is represented nearly impossible. Retro characters do narrow it down somewhat, but again it is still nearly impossible to predict anything at this point.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Anyway, I'm really excited about the thought of having more retro characters this time.

Of course I want newer IPs too like Sin & Punishment or Golden Sun (semi-new), but in the oldschool is also where Nintendo's history is at.

Maybe I'm like only one who, given my way, I'd add nothing but UNrepresented franchises (I would throw in K.Rool in there for good measure, though) from both new and old.

Mario I'd say is represented well enough. Same to Zelda. Same to Pokemon (perhaps change the Pokemon of the current generation to one that fits). Ridley could be thrown in there too somehow, but in the end, all popular Nintendo faces are already there, so it's time to look someplace else.

Just my thoughts though. I'm so looking forward to what they'll work with Little Mac and his moveset.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
I want Balloon Fighter now that I created that awesome moveset gimmick for him

Good lord, people still want Balloon Fighter?
[COLLAPSE="Balloon Fighter BitF"]
[/COLLAPSE]
i just noticed something about this image... they have Ness' face crossed out... that's ****ed up, NoA.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Good lord, people still want Balloon Fighter?
[COLLAPSE="Balloon Fighter BitF"]
[/COLLAPSE]
i just noticed something about this image... they have Ness' face crossed out... that's ****ed up, NoA.

That made me lol

TBH, I do want Balloon Fight representation, but I always preferred them going with ALICE, who is Balloon Fighter, except with an identity, a gender, a story, and a name, and hails from Balloon Kid.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
I reckon they've been making a F-zero game. If you've noticed in Mario Kart 3DS there's actually mention of Retro Studios in the credits and one of the tracks actually pays homage to F-zero. Soooooooo

Now in Nintendo Land we also see a F-zero Attraction. Soooo it has to make you wonder who is coming up with these things. Does Nintendo secretly have an ace up their sleeve with F-zero?
Unless its just there as a background, unless like you said, Nintendo has plans with F-Zero. I would honestly play a F-Zero game even though I never played the original.The Wii U GamePad could be used as a map for where to go and where everyone is.

D

Deleted member

You know, I've got to thinking, and I think it would be awesome if Nintendo updated their contract with Mike Tyson to include him in Smash Bros. :awesome:
He's a retro that is known throughout the world. :troll:

His Final Smash would be the OHKO Uppercut.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I want to.

Because I have nothing to contribute here is my starter roster. I am reworking on the complete one but I'm pretty down with this for the time being. The only thing that hasn't changed in revision

I tried a few things on arranging the roster.
  • Series sharing characters are connected
  • Related series by spin-off or theme are connected as much as I could (Yoshi and Wario to Mario, space themed, retro, etc)
  • All new characters make up the border (save random)
  • When looking for new characters, I went for a mix of the inevitable (Zoroark, Little Mac) and my personal tastes (Ryota)
  • I also look at selection as a celebration of Nintendo's history, looking back at each Gen/Console for a "face" not yet repped in Smash.
  • My tastes are pretty idiosyncratic
  • EDIT: I just realized that DK and Mario should be connected, eh, **** it
Um... You forgot Bowser. And Meta Knight. And the Ice Climbers.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Did I just see posts in support of Tingle?

Anyways, has anyone mentioned the possibility of The World Ends With You representation? Thinking about getting some RPG DS games, and people pretty much unanimously say TWEWY. Even heard there is possibly a 3DS sequel in the works.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sadly, mai boi Thrillhouse supports Tingle. It's okay, he'll get over said disease... I hope! :awesome: :smirk: ;) :psycho: :shades:
Nice, that's what I like to hear. At least it's progress.
Yep. At least (I think) Sakurai is giving us updates. Hopefully he continues to tell us how development is going. Maybe he should keep a developer's blog to tell us how Smash Wii U and 3DS are doing, and maybe use that as an excuse to launch a new Dojo extra early! :laugh:
Rome wasn't built in a day.
It also wasn't burnt down, rebuilt, burn down again, rebuilt, conquered, and then rebuilt, burnt down, and rebuilt in a day either. :bee: :awesome: ;)

D

Deleted member

Possible, yes.
Likely, no.

EDIT: We need to bombard Sakurai's Twitter with Mike Tyson and try to get ol' Iron Mike in Smash. :troll:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Why would you want a blog that only has posts about how we have to be patient?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mike Tyson's taunts:
Left: Talks about his pet bird and cries.
Right: Talks about someone "stomping on my toes."
Down: Puts on his World Championship Belt.
Up: Talks about how he's gonna eat his opponents' children.

Mike Tyson' specials:
Forward B: Wife's family beater smash.
Neutral B: charged combo barrage.
Down B: bite off ear.
Up B: Does a huge uppercut that makes him go up (kinda like in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!)

yani

Smash Lord
Tyson's Final Smash: gets a tattoo on his face. Opponents begin to rofl and are declared unable to fight. Tyson wins!

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mike Tyson's Final Smash should be him summoning his beloved bird, and it pecks out the opponents' eyes while he bites their ear off. Thus, the person controlling said character is using a character that can't see or hear their opponent properly! :chuckle:
Why would you want a blog that only has posts about how we have to be patient?
Maybe Sakurai will give us random hints that will further suck us in! :laugh:

D

Deleted member

What about characters with no ears and ones with no eyes?

Like Game & Watch?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Seeing that interview mention Mole Mania made me merry. (Alliteration for the win.)

Here's hoping he goes for Muddy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom