• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's being published by Nintendo, and will be exclusive to the Wii U. All signs point to it being a 2nd party Nintendo IP, in the same vein as Starfy.
Yeah, Platinum Games is just the developer. Nintendo holds all the rights to the title from what has been explained. However, I think this is the beginning of a new (possibly long-term) something of a "partnership" between Platinum Games and Nintendo. I like the idea. Platinum Games is easily one of the most underrated 3rd party video game studios.
Thought we all agreed that we would never speak of that ever again. :facepalm:
I agree. :embarrass:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Oh god did you see the disturbing picture with Shulk/Reyn/Sharla? :laugh:
Oh god no, I haven't. XDD

I think he should use his ether attacks, and then a YOU CANNNNN DO IT!
Riki's breath smells so good it heals wounds! :laugh:

Makes me want to go back and play it, never got my characters maxed out, there is still a lot to do in that game for me. D:

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
It's being published by Nintendo, and will be exclusive to the Wii U. All signs point to it being a 2nd party Nintendo IP, in the same vein as Starfy.
Yeah, Platinum Games is just the developer. Nintendo holds all the rights to the title from what has been explained. However, I think this is the beginning of a new (possibly long-term) something of a "partnership" between Platinum Games and Nintendo. I like the idea. Platinum Games is easily one of the most underrated 3rd party video game studios.
That sounds pretty beast. Platinum really is severely underrated; primarily because they don't produce dudebro shooters or aren't a 1st party studio for any company.

EDIT: Can I get a citation?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I really hope so, I loved Viewtiful Joe and Okami (back with Clover Studio) and also have enjoyed MadWorld and Bayonetta. I haven't played God Hand, Infinite Space, or Vanquish. I'm not sure how occupied they are with their Sega contract, but since they're now making games for Konami and Nintendo, hopefully they'll be able to sign a multiple game deal with Nintendo eventually (if they haven't already), and create some more great IPs. Plus Sakurai seems interested in them, which is always good. :awesome:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I haven't been in this thread for a while.. anything new or anything significant that is worth being mentioned?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Some of the people at the top of Platinum Games also helped create the Devil May Cry AND Resident Evil franchises. That alone makes them amazing!!! Throw in that even more of the people also worked on Viewtiful Joe, Okami, MadWorld, and Infinite Space, and you got some incredible minds. That's pretty freaking amazing!

As for Sakurai, he's friends with some of them, and they are making Metal Gear Rising. That probably explains why they saw him.

@ Op (that sounds funny for some reason)
Sakurai said Smash Wii U and 3DS are in the "first stage of development" to Nintendo Power (this information was released yesterday).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai said:
We've just taken what you could call the first step of the process. This is the first time I've ever had my next project announced before it's even entered development, and because of that, I fear that players will be forced to wait even longer than they expect to. Please be patient.
I don't know why everyone is acting like this quote is new, he said it at the beginning of June, before E3, and now it's getting reported on again.
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=178534

Maybe I'm missing something...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The more Sakurai says to be patient, the more impatient I get.
The longer you wait, the better the chances are the roster will be bigger, there will be more stages, the game will have better online, the game will have better graphics, the game will be more balanced, the game will have more content, and the game will be deeper.

Basically, there will be a lot more of the good stuff (sexy kills and less cut characters) and a lot less of the bad stuff (random tripping).

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Speaking of getting reported on again, Sakurai mentioned a little bit about retro characters again. You guys can digest this one:

Adam Riley: You have mentioned how you like to breathe new life into forgotten franchises. Now that Kid Icarus has been completed, what other old classic would you like to look at? Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, MoleMania…or something non-Nintendo?

Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Speaking of reiterating old news, here's a new interview where Sakurai again states he plans to revive retro character(s) in SSB4.

C3 Interview said:
C3: : You have mentioned how you like to breathe new life into forgotten franchises. Now that Kid Icarus has been completed, what other old classic would you like to look at? Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, MoleMania…or something non-Nintendo?

Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.
My favorite part is Sakurai finally got asked about StarTropics. :chuckle:

The rest of the interview is mostly about Uprising.
http://www.cubed3.com/news/16920

edit: Before posting I already got (double) ninja'd, but I might as well post anyway.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
...That was pretty much the most epic sequence of posting by myself, Star, and N3ON!!! :laugh:[COLLAPSE="Also, this Mario power-up from NEW Super Mario Bros. 2 looks awesome."]
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Here's some more pictures of NEW Super Mario Bros. 2 while I'm at it"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sadly, Capcom will be losing one of its' best employees. Capcom seems like a sinking ship...
Mike Tyson for Punch-Out Wii U final boss! :troll:
That would be pretty awesome. I mean, he's been in the Fight Nights and now WWE all recently. ;) So Mike Tyson returning to Punch-Out would make sense. Heck, Mike Tyson appearing in Gears of War at this point makes sense, too! :laugh:

Also, it would be awesome if in Punch-Out!! you could play as your own character (Miis), all the enemies, and whatnot. If Mike Tyson was in it, I'd play as him! :awesome:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Rocky from which movie=??? Rocky from the original can't dodge and is all heart.
Rocky from Rocky II is no longer a Southpaw, and has some better footwork.
Rocky from Rocky III has tons of speed.
Rocky from Rocky IV has got all kinds of power.
Rocky from Rocky V has all kinds of brain issues; apparently so did Sly Stallone, which is why that movie sucked! :laugh:
Rocky from Rocky Balboa has arthritis, is slow, and the last punch he gives is a below the belt cheap shot! :chuckle:

Also, are we talking NES/arcade Little Mac, or the SNES to modern era Little Mac=??? :grin:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Speaking of reiterating old news, here's a new interview where Sakurai again states he plans to revive retro character(s) in SSB4.

My favorite part is Sakurai finally got asked about StarTropics. :chuckle:

The rest of the interview is mostly about Uprising.
http://www.cubed3.com/news/16920

edit: Before posting I already got (double) ninja'd, but I might as well post anyway.
So was mine! :D I can't believe it! Finally somebody asked him about it!

You can't think unrepresented old franchise and NOT think StarTropics (if you know it, of course).

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sadly, Capcom will be losing one of its' best employees. Capcom seems like a sinking ship...
I wonder if Killian was the fall guy within the company for the poor performance of SFxT? Coupled with the disaster of Dragon's Dogma, things seem to be getting worse for Capcom. It's sad, Capcom and Sega were two of my favorite companies, and now both are abhorrent relics of once great companies. Heck, Sega is not too far away from going bankrupt in their Western offices.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That does for suck for Capcom, but honestly I don't have much sympathy for Capcom these days.

A little unrelated, but I hope Inafune works with Nintendo on a game in the future. I'd love a Inafune-created Nintendo IP.

Also, it would be awesome if in Punch-Out!! you could play as your own character (Miis), all the enemies, and whatnot. If Mike Tyson was in it, I'd play as him! :awesome:
Yeah, I was disappointed that Little Mac was the only playable character in Punch-Out Wii, but I wasn't surprised, and I doubt we'll ever get to play as his opponents.
It's unfortunate, I'd really like to play as Glass Joe. :awesome:

So was mine! :D I can't believe it! Finally somebody asked him about it!

You can't think unrepresented old franchise and NOT think StarTropics (if you know it, of course).
I agree, StarTropics was a great game, and one that should've received more games. (And probably would've, if it had been released in Japan).

Even though it was finally brought to Sakurai's attention, he didn't really acknowledge it (:c) and I doubt Mike Jones, and StarTropics in general, will get anything more than a sticker or trophy in Smash 4 (if that).

I guess it was nice that we got a game that Japan didn't for once, but I don't really think it was worth never getting more than two games. At least they released it on the VC, something I wasn't sure would happen.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wait, StarTropics was mentioned by the interviewer, not Sakurai.

@ Star
Meah, SEGA of Europe isn't that great. Heck, SEGA of America isn't that great. And again, those are rumors, and aren't necessarily true.

As for Capcom, he doesn't seem like a fall guy. He seems like he legitimately wants to leave the sinking ship. I got a feeling a few layoffs are coming. That and nearly everything produced by Capcom these days is a old concept, an uninspired sequel, and/or has a crap ton of DLC.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I agree, StarTropics was a great game, and one that should've received more games. (And probably would've, if it had been released in Japan).

Even though it was finally brought to Sakurai's attention, he didn't really acknowledge it (:c) and I doubt Mike Jones, and StarTropics in general, will get anything more than a sticker or trophy in Smash 4 (if that).

I guess it was nice that we got a game that Japan didn't for once, but I don't really think it was worth never getting more than two games. At least they released it on the VC, something I wasn't sure would happen.
Well last time he wanted to include characters famous outside Japan, but kinda forgot about that, or shifted his priorities.

I guess it's time to campaign again. :p

@john: Yes I know, I wouldn't expect Sakurai to be aware of its existance, I meant I am glad somebody mentioned it to SAKURAI. XD

I can safely say that Little Mac and Takamaru are basically a given now.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
...That was pretty much the most epic sequence of posting by myself, Star, and N3ON!!! :laugh:[COLLAPSE="Also, this Mario power-up from NEW Super Mario Bros. 2 looks awesome."]
[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Here's some more pictures of NEW Super Mario Bros. 2 while I'm at it"]
[/COLLAPSE]
The golden tanooki is in Mario Land 3D as well, isn't it?

I don't like New Super Mario Bros 2 so far

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think we should add that interview to the Backroom info thread guys. ;)
That does for suck for Capcom, but honestly I don't have much sympathy for Capcom these days.
I have sympathy for Capcom's employees, not the people running the show who are destroying their own image.
A little unrelated, but I hope Inafune works with Nintendo on a game in the future. I'd love a Inafune-created Nintendo IP.
He's making that cutesy looking pirate game that looks awesome... I think! :laugh: I forget what it was called, but it looked pretty awesome
Yeah, I was disappointed that Little Mac was the only playable character in Punch-Out Wii, but I wasn't surprised, and I doubt we'll ever get to play as his opponents.
It's unfortunate, I'd really like to play as Glass Joe. :awesome:
Yeah, I want to play as the Raging Bull! :grin: I love that film... :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Rocky from which movie=??? Rocky from the original can't dodge and is all heart.
Rocky from Rocky II is no longer a Southpaw, and has some better footwork.
Rocky from Rocky III has tons of speed.
Rocky from Rocky IV has got all kinds of power.
Rocky from Rocky V has all kinds of brain issues; apparently so did Sly Stallone, which is why that movie sucked! :laugh:
Rocky from Rocky Balboa has arthritis, is slow, and the last punch he gives is a below the belt cheap shot! :chuckle:

Also, are we talking NES/arcade Little Mac, or the SNES to modern era Little Mac=??? :grin:
Rocky IV's power and endurance with a mix of Rocky III's speed vs. Title Defense modern Little Mac.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You have chosen your Rocky well Golden... :grin:
The golden tanooki is in Mario Land 3D as well, isn't it?
I'm not sure. I don't have a 3DS! :laugh:
I don't like New Super Mario Bros 2 so far
Canon Mario games have yet to let me down. Even under-appreciated Mario games like the Lost Levels, SMB2, Sunshine, the original NEW Super Mario Bros are pretty good.

D

Deleted member

I'm dissapointed that there wasn't any opportunity to see Clubber Lang vs. Ivan Drago.
THAT would be an interesting match-up in my eyes.
EDIT: It seemed awfully wierd that Clubber just dissapeared without a trace after his defeat. I mean, not even Tommy Gunn had to face him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Well, Pauline's doing pretty well.
Nintendo should consider giving Pauline a trophy cameo, just to bring back memories of the Donkey Kong game.

Anyway, on another subject...

[collapse=Koopalings]
[/collapse]

Nintendo would have to be crazy to not make them a stage element of some kind; Bowser's Castle would work in this case. After all, they never even got any cameos in the last Smash Bros. titles.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I seriously didn't know there was a Rocky V...

Was it really bad?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@john: Yes I know, I wouldn't expect Sakurai to be aware of its existance, I meant I am glad somebody mentioned it to SAKURAI. XD
Yeah, that makes sense. I got a feeling Sakurai has at least heard of StarTropics before... :bee:
I can safely say that Little Mac and Takamaru are basically a given now.
What do you mean by that=??? I think they are both givens to be considered as playable characters. I don't, however, think they are given as playable characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think we should add that interview to the Backroom info thread guys. ;)
I can go add it, although it really doesn't have that much new Smash info.

I have sympathy for Capcom's employees, not the people running the show who are destroying their own image.
Right, that's sort of what I meant. I'm sympathetic towards the employees like Ono, who despite being hospitalized (probably due to being overworked), was told to get back to work, (which Capcom denies) and then immediately shipped off to Rome while he was recovering.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/06/yoshinori_ono_still_overworked_despite_health_scare

He's making that cutesy looking pirate game that looks awesome... I think! :laugh: I forget what it was called, but it looked pretty awesome
Yeah! Kaio: King of Pirates. It looks awesome and I love the character designs. ^_^
I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out, but I think it would also be awesome if he made a game in collaboration with Nintendo. Plus then it would be eligible for Smash (as a 2nd party).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm dissapointed that there wasn't any opportunity to see Clubber Lang vs. Ivan Drago.
THAT would be an interesting match-up in my eyes.
EDIT: It seemed awfully wierd that Clubber just dissapeared without a trace after his defeat. I mean, not even Tommy Gunn had to face him.
Clubber Lang was suppose to be in Rocky Balboa, but due to scheduling conflicts, Mr. T couldn't reprise his role. Instead, Rocky Balboa had *drum roll* Mike Tyson! :laugh:
I seriously didn't know there was a Rocky V...

Was it really bad?
It's so bad, we're done talking about it.
I don't think anything can be a given at this point.
I think the original 12 playable characters from Smash 64 are a given, the 12 Melee newcomer playable characters that were also playable in Brawl, and most Brawl newcomers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom