• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I think that's because Marth is such a plain and simple character, hard to go wrong with something so safe. That is why characters who do all these types of things are much easier to debate over in how they need to change.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The way they need to be though is that they have to be tech chases and implement grab breaks. I don't want to see a repeat of D3's derp chain.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Holder
Honestly, Olimar is (if you think about it) a super well done character that is pretty complex. The same with Snake, although his grab and long-range stuff is overpowered in Brawl.

@ Kuma
I'm still not a big fan of grab breaks in smash. In other fighting games, I think it works, but I don't think it "vibes well" with smash bros.

Although I do agree with you on the Dedede chain grab bullcrap (speaking of which, Dedede kinda sucks without that chain grab).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If anything, think of it as a pre-emptive fix on chain grabs.

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
I think that's because Marth is such a plain and simple character, hard to go wrong with something so safe. That is why characters who do all these types of things are much easier to debate over in how they need to change.
But Marth isn't that simple when you think about it. There are a lot of complex combos/counters that Marth can perform. His triple counter being the fan-favorite when in tourneys for its quick and precise nature. Perhaps on face value, Marth is simple, but I guess it ties into the mentality thing of which we discussed last night.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Kuma
That or just make it to where characters don't have super hit stun after grabs (give everyone nearly the same stun).

Because seriously, Lucas' and Ness' hit stun was stupid awful. Whoever designed them to have that much hit stun should never work on a smash bros. game again.

I think more of what I'm getting to with grab chases is something more based on Melee's grab chases (not chain grabs). I like how that aspect of Melee's gameplay worked.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Oh, no, in that sense everyone is complex. I'm talking about what Marth has to work with, he is entirely filled with sword swipes. That is arguably easier to balance than someone who has a broader range of attacks that do all sorts of things and/or characters with inherent different mechanics like Olimar, Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, etc. No doubt Marth can be complex with combos, but everyone can really.

Well, except Ganonsuck/Faildorf. :troll:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Iblis
Yep, that's what I mean. Without that chain grab, Dedede is pretty forgettable. He's just a fatter, bigger, stronger Kirby with slightly more range.

If any of you have played Project M, you can tell that making Dedede "works" is considerably harder than most characters. In Project M's Demo 2.1, they tried to make he plays just like Kirby with a bit more strength and power (while keeping him big). He just plays kinda awkward. He's neither a speedy or strong character. He's kinda like the worst of both worlds. And I don't put the blame on the Project M crew, but rather on his Brawl design and gameplay.

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
I guess it also has something to do with the familiarity of characters. For example, Kirby is my main fighter. Ever since the 64 days, he's been my top pick; but when Brawl came out, I've become semi-decent with Pit since his ariel combos are similar to that of Kirby's.

However, in that sense, each character has a specific move set that can be similar to the prior: I.E: Mario's three punch combos and other such A attacks. Practice with characters builds skill, and again, mentalities. If one is geared towards speed, then perhaps Sonic will be the character of choice, and range, perhaps Pit or Pokemon Trainer.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So if we're gonna talk about changes to characters, let me ask for your thoughts on these characters:

Lucas, Wolf, Zamus, Pit, Falco, and Link.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I'm not sure why certain characters have different frame rates on things that would make sense to be universal. It's like the designers need a frame version of spell check. I don't see how characters like Pikachu get 10 frames less of edge grab time, Ness and Lucas get 10 extra grab break frames (which ***** them), Bowser gets 10 frames less of grab release.

See the problem here?

@Kuma: Remember that Link moveset revamp I did a while back? I can't find it! I could have swore we archived it V___V

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh, no, in that sense everyone is complex. I'm talking about what Marth has to work with, he is entirely filled with sword swipes. That is arguably easier to balance than someone who has a broader range of attacks that do all sorts of things and/or characters with inherent different mechanics like Olimar, Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, etc. No doubt Marth can be complex with combos, but everyone can really.
Interesting theory, and it makes sense. Still, if one aspect of Marth was overpowered (see: Marth's Melee range and arguably his tipper), then it makes it more likely it will be broken. Thus, if such a character like Marth has anything involving such moves too weak/strong, likely they will be too weak/strong. Still, you are, in a sense, right IMO. It does make it easier to balance, although you have to have a lot of faith in your people in charge of balancing that they don't mess everything up! :laugh:
Well, except Ganonsuck/Faildorf. :troll:
I have a theory that because Ganondorf was seen as "overpowered" in Melee (even though he's like 11th or 12th on the tiers; honestly, I think he's like 14th best), that the Brawl development team tried to "unbreak" Ganondorf when he wasn't broken at all. (really everyone who acts like Ganondorf in Melee is OP hasn't faced many elite Melee players)

The same goes with Captain Falcon (although he wasn't that broken in Melee). Fox, Samus, and Jigglypuff, on the other hand, were given entirely different play styles. Oddly enough, Falco and Marth weren't much weaker at all. Really, I don't think the Brawl development team gauged how good everyone was in Melee very well at all. :laugh:

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Nahh Ganons pretty good in melee, he has a positive or even matchup against all characters except Fox, Falco, and Sheik. The only reason he is as low as he is on the melee tier list is because there are so many people who play those three characters, making his tournament viability low-ish.

I think they just flat out ****ed up the balance in Brawl, just as they did in Melee. There were just different characters who became unusable because of it.

:phone:

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
What do you mean? Ganon was great in melee and terribad in brawl. Same with Falcon.

Im not too much of a brawl player, but if I'm not mistaken Yoshi and Kirby are much more viable than they were in melee.

:phone:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@ Iblis
Yep, that's what I mean. Without that chain grab, Dedede is pretty forgettable. He's just a fatter, bigger, stronger Kirby with slightly more range.

If any of you have played Project M, you can tell that making Dedede "works" is considerably harder than most characters. In Project M's Demo 2.1, they tried to make he plays just like Kirby with a bit more strength and power (while keeping him big). He just plays kinda awkward. He's neither a speedy or strong character. He's kinda like the worst of both worlds. And I don't put the blame on the Project M crew, but rather on his Brawl design and gameplay.
Remember that Smash is not designed for the play they are trying to achieve in Project M. So trying to move characters to that end isn't going to always work well. For Dedede, he has a strange blend of faster move and slower stronger moves. This works well in a large brawl since you can strategies and find opening for it. Harder with a lot of people.

One other thing to not is that how Brawl is played in the US is wrong. This is why the Japanese stomped the westerners at Apex. They play it like Street Fighter. They play safe and look for openings. Players here are overly aggressive and attack whenever, even if it wont work. They often just trade blows back and forth. Also why Meta-Knight is so popular since he's the best when you're both aggressive.

I meant I feel there is more balance in Brawl than in Melee.
Guess I'm not the only one.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
One other thing to not is that how Brawl is played in the US is wrong. This is why the Japanese stomped the westerners at Apex. They play it like Street Fighter. They play safe and look for openings. Players here are overly aggressive and attack whenever, even if it wont work. They often just trade blows back and forth. Also why Meta-Knight is so popular since he's the best when you're both aggressive.
What? Last I checked, the American players were the overly defensive ones. If the Japanese do play it like Street Fighter, then they're just being smart about playing.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
What? Last I checked, the American players were the overly defensive ones. If the Japanese do play it like Street Fighter, then they're just being smart about playing.
In Brawl, no. Americans are very aggressive. They attack whenever. Just watch Ocean vs M2K. Ocean played really safe while M2K didn't.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Umm... no. American and Canadian Brawl players are much better than Japanese players. Just because Japan has like 5 good players doesn't make Japan better.
Nahh Ganons pretty good in melee, he has a positive or even matchup against all characters except Fox, Falco, and Sheik. The only reason he is as low as he is on the melee tier list is because there are so many people who play those three characters, making his tournament viability low-ish.
Honestly, I think Mario and Samus are both higher than Ganondorf. The main reason I think Mario is so low is because he's basically a weaker Doc. As for Samus, there aren't a lot of Samus players, but the top Samus players (specifically HugS) have consistent success.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
That's why Toise is cooler than you. Brevity.
Again with this dance for popularity concerns. I don't care for them.

@ Kuma

How does what you accuse me of have any integrity when your responses share in equal part an aspect of vagueness? Perhaps more appropriately expressed, superficial?

Lord, for shame. I find some utility in my stretching my vocabulary.

He'res the deal, I'm not trying to hear folks clamoring about how vague I come across when clearly there is no effort, coming from that perspective, to gain the gist of my message.

Save for the whatever reasoning you may have for your own accusations, which aren't even made known.

Its challenging to approach anything worthwhile in this place when consistently those topics are drowned out by pages of mind numbing nonsense. This goes beyond merely fooling around as we seem only to want to bring up circular subjects.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Remember that Smash is not designed for the play they are trying to achieve in Project M. So trying to move characters to that end isn't going to always work well. For Dedede, he has a strange blend of faster move and slower stronger moves. This works well in a large brawl since you can strategies and find opening for it. Harder with a lot of people.
The problem is King Dedede is made for a slow, defense game with minimal offense, and even at that, he is average without his chain grab game. If you put King Dedede's style in Smash 64, he becomes a sandbag because he has little offense and is easy to juggle. If you put him in Melee, he's too slow to be able to space well, and his power is minimal.
I could have sworn Ally (a Canadian player) won APEX 2012. Also, the few Japanese players who did well were fairly unknown. Once people learn how to adapt to them (much like the Europeans who had good initial shows in Melee in American but since then have faded into obscurity; aka most European players), they probably won't do as good.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm not sure why certain characters have different frame rates on things that would make sense to be universal. It's like the designers need a frame version of spell check. I don't see how characters like Pikachu get 10 frames less of edge grab time, Ness and Lucas get 10 extra grab break frames (which ***** them), Bowser gets 10 frames less of grab release.

See the problem here?
That's exactly what I was referring to. That hurts all of these characters so bad (except the Pikachu one), and it requires way more work to balance.

With Lucas' and Ness' 10 grab release frames, you literally have to increase the distance of every character's grab to fix them. Which is way more work than just making their grab release the same as everyone else. Honestly, whoever came up with this crap like to make stuff needlessly complicated and stupid. Seriously, this takes away from smash.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Every day I'm shufflin'!

There will always be someone better than me in some aspect. I don't let that discourage me, if anything it works to motivate me because I recognize there is always better out there.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Every day I'm shufflin'!

There will always be someone better than me in some aspect. I don't let that discourage me, if anything it works to motivate me because I recognize there is always better out there.
S***ty Silver Second place.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Second place in an otherwise pointless existence! Hooray!

I still think you've brought on a good point about selection/focus.

As far as effectiveness is concerned, I'm only focused on maintaining an exclusive approach.

Oh btw, Oasis, LOL at conveying ideas.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The problem is King Dedede is made for a slow, defense game with minimal offense, and even at that, he is average without his chain grab game. If you put King Dedede's style in Smash 64, he becomes a sandbag because he has little offense and is easy to juggle. If you put him in Melee, he's too slow to be able to space well, and his power is minimal.
You missed what I said. The Brawl I play is different from the one your talking about.

Competitive Smash will never be balanced without mods because the game isn't designed that way. 1v1, no item, FD is not how the characters are balanced. They are balanced based on many different elements and their attacks that into effect that. Dedede has strong moves, but you have to set them up. Stages, items and having more players helps in that.

Sakurai may change his tune as he mentioned Kid Icarus took more things into account with balance, but Brawl was not that way.

I could have sworn Ally (a Canadian player) won APEX 2012. Also, the few Japanese players who did well were fairly unknown. Once people learn how to adapt to them (much like the Europeans who had good initial shows in Melee in American but since then have faded into obscurity; aka most European players), they probably won't do as good.
Apex Results

The Japanese dominated it. M2K, one of the best Meta-Knights was beaten by ROB, a character who up to that point was thought could not beat Meta-Knight.

It will be hard to see if US players come back because Smash is a dying game (at the competitive level) it will be hard to see. But the Japanese play a m oresolid game. They don't rush in (which is how M2K lost). I don't think they will win without changing how they play.

Right now, in Smash, US play is as if Starcraft 2 was only 6 pool, cannon proxy into DTs and 3 Rax SCV all ins. That is why Dedede is popular in the first place. It's also why Meta-Knight is played a lot. The Japanese use Fox and ROB more and they play a very solid game. They don't rush.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
@John
No, Otori (A Japanese Player) won Apex, with Nientono (Another Japanese Player) coming 2nd. If you've seen any Japanese Brawl tournaments, you would know why a lot of people say the Japanese are better than everyone else.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Meah, I stopped following Brawl a long time ago, which is why I'm not surprised I was wrong! :laugh:

Also, smash isn't a dying competitive game. Maybe Brawl is very slowly (ie: Bay Area Brawl seems semi-dead), but Melee isn't. The Melee tournament scene is as strong as ever.

As for Mew2King, meah. He's kinda on and off with both Melee and Brawl becauhttp://www.smashboards.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=14562804se he plays both. A lot of players who play both games at high levels have that issue.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I presume the more patient play style that Japanese players do is the reason why some characters are higher placed in the Japanese tier list then the USA tier list. Notably Pit, Zelda/Sheik, Fox, and ROB.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Apex Results

The Japanese dominated it. M2K, one of the best Meta-Knights was beaten by ROB, a character who up to that point was thought could not beat Meta-Knight.

It will be hard to see if US players come back because Smash is a dying game (at the competitive level) it will be hard to see. But the Japanese play a m oresolid game. They don't rush in (which is how M2K lost). I don't think they will win without changing how they play.

Right now, in Smash, US play is as if Starcraft 2 was only 6 pool, cannon proxy into DTs and 3 Rax SCV all ins. That is why Dedede is popular in the first place. It's also why Meta-Knight is played a lot. The Japanese use Fox and ROB more and they play a very solid game. They don't rush.
Do you have gameplay videos of these players? I'm used to seeing the Japanese play with a more offensive style while American players camp.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So if we're gonna talk about changes to characters, let me ask for your thoughts on these characters:

Lucas, Wolf, Zamus, Pit, Falco, and Link.
[COLLAPSE="Lucas:"]Lucas doesn't need much changes. Maybe a slightly changed neutral B, a different forward B, and a different down B, but that's it. Oh, and a longer flying PK Thunder for Lucas and Ness. That and maybe he needs maybe a few more of his moves to come out faster. Oh, and double jump cancelling for several of his moves (if he doesn't already have it). Also, I think it is worth mentioning that after PK Thunder, Lucas (and Ness) shouldn't be in a helpless state. Lucas should at least be able to use his tether recovery.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Wolf:"]Wolf just needs a slightly different up B, a somewhat different neutral B, and maybe a new-ish down B (or a new approach to it). That and Wolf feels like he's not "there yet." He's kinda like a prospect in whatever that feels "raw" and not trained enough and without a clear direction of where he is headed. If both of that is changed, Wolf will be deadly in Smash 4/5. Project M Wolf is a good example of what Wolf could be in smash with a "clear direction."[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Pit:"]Pit needs to stop having lame players. Whether gliding stays or not, dump his up B or make it faster and come out as an "attack" and move quicker (because that slow move is dumb). Make Pit's down B work as more of a counter move. Change Pit's forward B into something that actually does something.

Then, give Pit more combos and more grab range. Most of Pit's combos should be in the air, and most of Pit's tilts should encourage Pit players to do some combos in the air. I mean, what is the point of Pit having wings if he can't do some land to aerial combos or some awesome mid-air juggling act=??? If Darth Maul inspired his twin swords, he should take some of those cues from Darth Maul (but nothing else from Star Wars Episode I, because that movie was a load of crap!). :laugh:[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Zero Suit Samus"]Not a whole lot needs to be changed. ZSS was pretty good in Brawl. Just make her more streamline for an offensive game, maybe improve her recovery, and maybe make her a tad vulnerable to being juggled.[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Falco (PAWNCH!!!):"]
Falco... eh. He has so far been done pretty good. Combine his Melee and Brawl style (minus the really stale parts). Then, make his neutral B two blasters (and make it like Fox's Smash 64 blaster), give him a new down smash, make his back air different, and give his down air more original frames. As for his forward B and up B, at least change them a little bit, or change up their frames. If they are removed, at least replace them without something viable and useful that doesn't take away from Falco's style.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Toon Link:"]Toon Link (and to a lesser extent, Young Link) was done pretty good in hindsight. However, some changes should be made to make Toon Link feel more like the child incarnation of Link.

For one, bring back the fire arrows as his neutral B. Other than that, leave it the same as it was in Brawl (QUICK DRAW FTW! Also SHLF-like cancelling). Maybe change his down B while we're at it. I'm not sure what it could be, but it could easily be something cool. Give Ton Link's up B the charge up option (on the ground) to where Toon Link can do his super Spin Attack like in the Wind Waker (although please don't have him basically be super vulnerable forever). Toon Link's boomerang should probably stay, since it is freaking awesome.

For Toon Link's smash attacks, I think his up smash is fine as is (DAT SLIDE!) As for his forward smash, I think it should maybe have only one swing (like Project M) or should be a sideways slice instead. His down smash should be the typical Zelda jump attack (with some range behind him to knock opponents forward for the real hit; maybe give it a tipper). For aerials, make his up air kind of like a flip slash (like he spins quick, and stabs up). Change his forward air to a just a straight down slash. As for Toon Link's down air, make it to where you can drop real fast (like in Brawl), go "up" (like the fall cancel thing in Brawl), and work it like Young Link's Melee sword plant (to where it falls slowly).

His A-A-A should be a jumping vertical slice, then a sideways leaping slash, followed by a forward flip vertical slash. Toon Link should get a new down tilt, and it should be a single-motion sweep. His forward tilt should be a quick stab with a tad more range (because Toon Link sticks out his hand farther). His up tilt should be a uppercut-esk slash.[/COLLAPSE]

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I will never doubt the Japanese. They started gaming, it's only natural that they're the best at it.
Kinda like Americans and hot dog eating competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom