• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
It has nothing to do with pressing buttons and moving the control stick. That's the thing, pressing the buttons and moving the control stick is about as deep as platforming gets. But in fighting games there is a lot of knowledge of technical things that create a much deeper experience using the very shallow blocks that is the platforming. Therefore, I am good at the basics, more so than the average person, but knowledge and consistency that is required in being good at fighting games, I lack.
Technicallity? It's still button pressing... Up, Down, Right = Hadouken. We're talking legit coding operations here, everyone!

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
There are clearly different mentalities involved with platforming and fighting. Not sure how everyone is thinking they mesh together because they both involve pushing buttons. Absurd. Being good at one genre does not equate to being good at all, I thought that is common sense.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Holder of the Heel said:
Being good at one genre does not equate to being good at all, I thought that is common sense.
You JUST foiled your own argument!

Mitsuo said:
It's Rhythm Heaven with a life bar!
Percentages to be accurate to that!

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
There are clearly different mentalities involved with platforming and fighting. Not sure how everyone is thinking they mesh together because they both involve pushing buttons. Absurd. Being good at one genre does not equate to being good at all, I thought that is common sense.
Mentalities... Hmm... But based on your original statement of both playing into each other, dear lord sir, you are contradicting yourself! Iblis, I need an objection up in here!

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
How so? I am saying being good at Smash Brothers requires the mentality to understand platforming and fighting?

My body isn't ready for this.

For example, a person who is good at strictly fighting games is not going to pick up Smash Brothers and hit it off as easily as he would with a more traditional fighter.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I am very good at Smash. I suck at MvC3. Technical aspect/prowess(?) plays a role here.

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
How so? I am saying being good at Smash Brothers requires the mentality to understand platforming and fighting?

My body isn't ready for this.
But you said being good at Platforming = semi-skill in Brawl...

And besides, unless the next Smash is on the X-Box Connect or some other full body motion system, you don't have to move more than the muscles in your hands. I never thought this would be overly difficult... Learn something new everyday...

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You are in a minority Poppy or lying.

My friends who were minorly or at least moderately good in Smash go over to MvC3 and place. APEX 2012 is a good example.

Concepts translate from fighter to fighter unless it's 2D to 3D but they still hold some of the some stuff. Are you sure you are good at Smash?

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
False Iblis, did I not say I was decent despite sucking at one? But being good at both is imperative to being excellent.

And yes Mitsuo, that IS what I said. How does that contradict what I'm saying? :laugh:

And Iblis, I'm not saying concepts don't transfer over. .___. It is also not surprising that people who like Smash Bros. like other fighting games. Did I not say Smash Bros. is half fighting? Fighter players are obviously going to be capable of enjoying it, and they will have an advantage when first picking Smash up, but if they suck at platformer games, they are going to have to learn those basic. They aren't playing their typical 2D fighting game anymore. My argument wasn't that people aren't going to have some advantage, my argument is not that they aren't going to enjoy it, my argument is that SMASH IS MORE THAN THAT.

You guys are making me want to step away from this place. >___>

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Don't let it discourage you, we're just having fun with our perspectives.

Basically, it read like your having competence at platforming carries over to your abilities in this style of a fighting game.

When later you mentioned that being good in one aspect of the field doesn't relate to the whole field.

Am I reading it right?

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It is just everytime I say something obvious lately, it causes some sort of debate. :laugh: I'll come back later.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You don't get it. The player vs. player vs. stage aspect of Smash does not require platformer skills.

If you can't take this I'm sad to say I thought of you as one of the better post. :-/

@Bread: Why do we speculate this adsfsaadsfasfsafasfsafthis is a videogameasdfasdfasfasfasfsaf

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
False Iblis, did I not say I was decent despite sucking at one? But being good at both is imperative to being excellent.

And yes Mitsuo, that IS what I said. How does that contradict what I'm saying? :laugh:

And Iblis, I'm not saying concepts don't transfer over. .___. It is also not surprising that people who like Smash Bros. like other fighting games. Did I not say Smash Bros. is half fighting? Fighter players are obviously going to be capable of enjoying it, and they will have an advantage when first picking Smash up, but if they suck at platformer games, they are going to have to learn those basic. They aren't playing their typical 2D fighting game anymore.

You guys are making me want to step away from this place. >___>
Simple there, my friend, you stated, and I quote, that "Your body is not ready for this." You do not use your full body to execute an attack, just a simple push of the button. If you require your full body to do this, then I extend my deepest empathy.

Platforming is just, as you said, jump and run. Perhaps some other concepts, but that is the very basics. Fighting is run and attack. Same idea. Please Holder, explain the, quote, different mentalities, that your argument in barely surviving on.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Here's the end all statement: Sakurai will do what he does with Smash U/3DS and we will live with it. Until someone mods it.

Boom.

Also, Mits, please tell me that evaluation you made of Holder saying "my body is not ready" is not serious.

Tell me that. Please.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm only minorly good at Smash, good enough that I can beat most any casual (I win tournments all the time on my campus and gaming club), but I can't win against an actual competitive player (lost to a Ganondorf by a non-Ganondorf main).

With MvC3, I can only do a few basic Bread and Butter combos with a few characters, and can only complete about half of the missions in mission mode. I've never tried playing online yet ironically enough, I don't even have a true team yet.

Any other fighter I suck completely at. I'm guessing you're in a similar boat Poppy?

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
@Automatic- My Agenda is filled with various activities like Sleeping and Eating as I live my day to day life. These events can occur in any order, as you may assume, and I'll call your hand and say, yes, I have no life. However, even in this self-pity session, you came to call me out for calling out Holder. What, pray tell, is your agenda?

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
Yeah, I ended up in the Hospital later that night for having a delicious Pizza Bite lodged in my throat. Would not recommend it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If you were trying to be me, then you can never be right in trying something so wrong.

Also it's "HUUUUARRGH."

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
MvC3: The only character I'm REMOTELY good with is Tron. And I just end up using the same attack over and over again...

Meanwhile, in Smash, I excel. Good with nearly every character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom