• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Maybe if you're talking to dummies. We're both fans of dress-up here, but if your idea is bad no dress is going to make it not ugly.

You can try your hardest to make a boring character look interesting, but they're still boring. I freely admit with my idea of how Mach Rider would work, it was just my way of making him seem interesting and not so similar to Falcon. I do not expect at all that he would have a moveset resembling my idea of him.
*insert picture of Mach Rider exploding and reforming*
Say he's a Captain Falcon clone.

People eat it up.

What was that now?

The point is, you can make anything interesting, with the right tools, and MOST will eat it up.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That's silly. Take away move talk, and all characters aren't "interesting" additions.

K. Rool on his own is big Crocodile with cataracts and a stupid crown. Roy is a ginger, and Mewtwo is a Mew clone.

They aren't all THAT interesting without getting into HOW they can be interesting.
Oasis's point is that they should be interesting in themselves. I should look at K Rool and maybe get a short description and be down with him. If I have to try and sell them, it's not worth it.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Mitsuo said:
Hey, what's up?
Mostly us talking about how character involvement has a criteria based around Uniqueness.

Though in for the most part, we've come to an understanding that this criteria can get subjective based who's perspective you're dealing with.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I have to say, I would prefer a character who i know and find interesting. What makes a person interesting? That's different for every person.

Haha, I can trust you, N, to make this point before I can say a thing! ;)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It shouldn't be subjective. This would all go a lot easier if you all just conformed to my standards

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
That's what I'm looking for!

Tell me Mitsuo, what do you think about picking a character. What basis would Sakurai do it? Would it be subjectivity and arguing characters with close parameters a moot point? I.E. most popular pokemon. Or is it actually worth debating in a circular motion with no set goal in the end?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oasis's point is that they should be interesting in themselves. I should look at K Rool and maybe get a short description and be down with him. If I have to try and sell them, it's not worth it.
If the person isn't trying to sell them, then the character isn't going to SOUND interesting.

K. Rool: big croc King

- he throws his crown
- Uses Helicopter Pack
- Has a counter attack using his belly
- Is slow and heavy

Nothing is interesting unless you make it interesting.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If the person isn't trying to sell them, then the character isn't going to SOUND interesting.

K. Rool: big croc King

- he throws his crown
- Uses Helicopter Pack
- Has a counter attack using his belly
- Is slow and heavy
What about his blunderbuss?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Seems interesting. However, contradictory within itself, I suppose.
Touche.

But as human beings, it can be very hard to be objective on a point like this. And that's good. Being objective on something you love is not going to inspire others about that love you have. Being subjective about something you love just shows everyone else how passionate you are about it. It does cause bias, which is problematic when it comes to history. But I think we have enough bias in here to balance each other out. :D

Shorie, I disagree. You've contradicted yourself, seeing as who would want to sell a character they're not interested in? It makes selling said character very, very hard.

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
I know that whatever I say is going to get trolled by you very quickly there Iblis, as most things I mention are, but I believe that it is kind of pointless. You are good with what you are good at, and all opinions are biased in there own regard. So really, if we argue about characters, we'll never reach this so called "end", because no one will completely agree with reasoning, no matter the level of valadity.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If it was based solely on uniqueness, Shy Guy would be the best candidate in the world. Simply put, I know he isn't.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know that whatever I say is going to get trolled by you very quickly there Iblis, as most things I mention are, but I believe that it is kind of pointless. You are good with what you are good at, and all opinions are biased in there own regard. So really, if we argue about characters, we'll never reach this so called "end", because no one will completely agree with reasoning, no matter the level of valadity.
The end will be delivered by the prophets, and the truth will be discovered from the mouth of the DOJO

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
But what defines validity, for that too is purely subjective. Seeing as we aren't the creators, that's the only thing it can be.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=5853878

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Mostly us talking about how character involvement has a criteria based around Uniqueness.

Though in for the most part, we've come to an understanding that this criteria can get subjective based who's perspective you're dealing with.
I'm not sure that "unique" or "interesting" are even the right words to be using. In some ways, they still matter, but maybe "individual" is more at the core of it? Lucas is a pretty weird addition. Same abilities as Ness, looks almost identical. He's rather obscure too, compared to the rest. Now, his moveset isn't what propelled him to a spot on the roster. I've wondered that maybe it was Sakurai's attempt to get Mother 3 more recognition for an international release. Maybe it was just going back to his idea of adding Lucas in Melee. BUT WHAT REALLY SETS HIM APART FROM NESS...

It's his personality, isn't it? Lucas is more unsure of himself. He has that... meekness about him. It's brought up a lot too. His trophy and Snake codec mention how he "grew stronger." It's something Sakurai was trying to push forth. Aside from his moveset being much different than Ness, maybe even something that... subtle? is what Sakurai also looks for when trying to make sure every addition feels like an "individual."

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
I agree with you there Luco. However, we are all entitled to our opinions. I would love to see the rage of such posts arguing for a certain large penguin as I have been so told of. Perhaps we should just kill time as such, argue who we love, realize that we will never win, and, this being the internet, never admit defeat when we, may be completely wrong.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
That's just it Mits! The purpose of this discussion isn't limited solely to character discussions, its really an ongoing effort to stay connected by speculating aspects of this series that we enjoy.

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
Then make haste good sir! Who is in for a rousing arguement which will turn into a heated debate that current politics could never beat?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Also, I wonder if you'd really call it subjective? Sakurai is subjective himself, deciding what is best, but if we're all trying to be Sakurai here, then there would be a SORT OF objective... point to be reached.

But that's only if we're discussing what "will happen" and not what we'd like to happen.

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
This has been quite the enjoyable entry experience. I see what Iblis has been going on about now.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
rousing, heated...

I like where this is going
-DEAD-

Also, I wonder if you'd really call it subjective? Sakurai is subjective himself, deciding what is best, but if we're all trying to be Sakurai here, then there would be a SORT OF objective... point to be reached.

But that's only if we're discussing what "will happen" and not what we'd like to happen.
But in the end Sakurai makes it objective as he has the means to make the ends. We don't.

Then make haste good sir! Who is in for a rousing arguement which will turn into a heated debate that current politics could never beat?
Metaknight>Kirby.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Forreal though, what in the Kirby franchise leaves him the right to the impact he has in the game? None in my opinion. He doesn't even really deserve 3 character reps compared to how some other franchises need representation.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kirby has always been one of my favorite series, and until his unveiling in Brawl, Dedede was my most anticipated character.

Kirby's dreamland 2 shall be forever in my top favorite games

Check my icons, I friggin' main D3

Mitsuo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-4738-3710
Suffice to say, without Kirby, there would be no Smash, as the creator of Smash got his start from Kirby. Kind of like writing a novel with one main character, then in the next book, completely forget he existed.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
But in the end Sakurai makes it objective as he has the means to make the ends. We don't.
But we can still guess what he may do...? Because he's going to do something. He's given us plenty of insight on how he does things. From those we can make EDUCATED GUESSES on what it is he will have done in the near future.

I might be toying with the definition of objective though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom