• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

PF9

Smash Lord
Another thing that could be done for WiiU in general, and Smash especially, is to stream live radio stations while playing the game.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
People, that is not what he is saying. Unless you were expecting a fifty-eight character roster, than yes this may com as a surprise to you, but outside of that there is nothing that is different than what Sakurai has already said.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
it just means he's focusing on gameplay and enhancing thecast, while adding some newdudes on the side.

which is what pretty much everyone on this site wanted anyway.

I may actually buy that issue now, though.

D

Deleted member

So pretty much what has been said before has been reiterated?

And both times Sakurai used the number 50....
Wonder if that actually means anything, like if it will be 50 (by his standards; remember, in his eyes, Brawl has 39 characters) or slightly less.
In my viewpoint, I feel at most we'll get 11 new (or returning, in the case of Mewtwo and Roy) characters, because again, Sakurai sees Brawl as having 39 characters.
EDIT: Which would be 46 actual slots.

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: I think the thing that really caught my eye about the statement is where he said "In terms of quantity, we probably already reached a limit in what is feasible". My interpretation of this is that not only does he want to avoid just adding stuff (which is good), but also feel as the limit for characters/stages may have been reached. I'm not trying to panic as it could be the best thing that happens to Smash, but I thought the bold was worth a mention.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Here is what a forty-four character roster can look like. Hopefully this will calm people down.

@Starphoenix: I think the thing that really caught my eye about the statement is where he said "In terms of quantity, we probably already reached a limit in what is feasible". My interpretation of this is that not only does he want to avoid just adding stuff (which is good), but also feel as the limit for characters/stages may have been reached. I'm not trying to panic as it could be the best thing that happens to Smash, but I thought the bold was worth a mention.
If that is the case then why make a sequel at all? You see what I'm saying. Previously he has stated he could just add fifty characters and double the stages, but he does not want to. Nothing in this statement is saying he cannot do it, I mean after all he has more power to work with now; his intention, however, is to not simply add increase without differentiating the title from its predecessors. Read in the context of everything else he has said recently.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And this kind of goes back to what I said that we could be looking at a completely different roster from before. Like Street Fighter 3, but with way more veterans.

This might be the first Smash game where not all past playable characters will appear. Of course, let's see what happens. Maybe Sakurai might give in to the idea of doing an update. It would definitely require less work than a new sequel.

D

Deleted member

And this kind of goes back to what I said that we could be looking at a completely different roster from before. Like Street Fighter 3, but with way more veterans.

This might be the first Smash game where not all past playable characters will appear. Of course, let's see what happens. Maybe Sakurai might give in to the idea of doing an update. It would definitely require less work than a new sequel.
Technically, this would be the 2nd game since Brawl cut five characters if we do see a refresh of the roster.

As for a refresh game that is completely different, I'd be up for that. It'd be interesting to see him focus a lot more on move set potentials the characters has than ever.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Technically, this would be the 2nd game since Brawl cut five characters if we do see a refresh of the roster.

As for a refresh game that is completely different, I'd be up for that. It'd be interesting to see him focus a lot more on move set potentials the characters has than ever.
The thing is most people do not want that. Super Smash Bros is a game where people want to play as their favorite Nintendo characters duking it out. In this sense it is not like other fighting games. Right now Sakurai is just realizing he has hit a point where there just is not that many characters left that people are going to be screaming an wailing to be included. Yeah, you have Ridley, King K. Rool and Mewtwo (even Megaman though he is third party) that are pretty much the unanimous choices, but beyond that? Nothing. You start wade into murky territory where characters are just not as widely supported or are only supported by certain regions.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Nintendo Power: With so much content packed into the previous Smash Bros. games, what difficulties do you encounter when creating a new one?

Sakurai: It isn't a matter of "if the next game has 50 characters, that'll be enough." There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance, and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and make them feel distinctive... In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible. I think a change of direction might be what's needed.
Wait, which NP is this? It's definitely not the Ridley one.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's unfortunate that Sakurai feels the need to establish some arbitrary limit on characters, considering the difficulties he points out are easy to fix. The game is difficult to balance? Let a knowledgeable team take care of it, rather than haphazardly doing it yourself. Characters aren't distinctive enough? Use more resources on creating unique, non-Luigified movesets rather than on drawn-out adventure modes.

Regardless, I can't see this impacting the roster count significantly. Sakurai mentioned in one of the initial Wii U interviews that balance was largely subjective, depending on the community. He won't sacrifice the main aspect of the game people care about for such trivial reasons.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's the newest issue, I got it from a post over at GAF. :bee:
I'll have to check it out then, either that or wait for Toise to (Castlevania and whatnot).

Although I'd rather here a bit more about development, for with the timeline of a week right now, an interview this early is either a good or bad sign for a reveal (betting on the latter).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It's unfortunate that Sakurai feels the need to establish some arbitrary limit on characters, considering the difficulties he points out are easy to fix. The game is difficult to balance? Let a knowledgeable team take care of it, rather than haphazardly doing it yourself. Characters aren't distinctive enough? Use more resources on creating unique, non-Luigified movesets rather than on drawn-out adventure modes.

Regardless, I can't see this impacting the roster count significantly. Sakurai mentioned in one of the initial Wii U interviews that balance was largely subjective, depending on the community. He won't sacrifice the main aspect of the game people care about for such trivial reasons.
That is why people should read things in CONTEXT! Heck, we don't even have the rest of the interview to know what else was asked.

JPW

Smash Ace
I totally agree with Sakurai. There is a thing with having too many characters. Games like Streetfighter are a perfect example of that. The latest Streetfight X Tekken out of all the characters there are probably 6 i only use/know. Vega, Hworang, Ken, Chun Li, Xiaoyu and Megaman(comedic purposes lol.)

Even with Brawl on wifi nights or meetups, or even tourneys i find myself leaving certain characters out or never getting a chance to really give them a go. Despite the fact i now know half the roster.

When i think about it i can only see a couple of newcomers. And judging by his comments he's probably happy with the roster and doesn't see the need to cut anyone. So certain favourites like Ike, Lucas and such could stay around.

Smash bros. does need kind of a new direction. Something to make it fresh, and different. One thing i would like to see in the next one is the choice of two final smashes. It's just gotten repetitive now. Especially with the Starfox characters. lol. I also would like to see maybe an attribute section where you gain points and can add them to increase certain impact of moves.

1 more thing i would love to see is a much more open wifi section. We should be able to win coins from our matches online and with those coins say we get to buy stages from Nintendo or other People. And use those custom stages online this time. Or even be able to buy Characters, Trophies, Assists just incase Nintendo get ideas of certain characters that we're left out. You can even trade pictures and replays online.

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: If we're going by pretty much unanimous support, Ridley and Mega Man may not fit since Ridley support is pretty weak in Japan and there are those who oppose third-party in general, but I see where you're coming from.

In the end, it doesn't necessarily change my thoughts on the character roster I feel will happen, but it did get me to thinking about the possibility that we may not see as large of a roster as we think. When I mean by this will change a lot about speculation (in at least the short run), just watch as I post the comment on GameFAQs and see how they react.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That is why people should read things in CONTEXT! Heck, we don't even have the rest of the interview to know what else was asked.
My first thought upon reading this was that people are going to rush to use this as irrefutable evidence that this game will have a 39 character roster.

It's difficult to take any solid info away from most Sakurai interviews, due to his constant uses of the phrases 'we might be able to...,' 'we could...,' and 'probably'.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think based on that one response, you're not going to justly determine what the roster size is going to look like. It will not be forty four characters, with five newcomers. If it's only 44 characters, I promise you we will be seeing cuts lol.

Also, you can interpret that response so many ways.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Didn't he say he was getting a larger team just to help with stuff like that? Not to mention we have patches now.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I totally agree with Sakurai. There is a thing with having too many characters. Games like Streetfighter are a perfect example of that. The latest Streetfight X Tekken out of all the characters there are probably 6 i only use/know. Vega, Hworang, Ken, Chun Li, Xiaoyu and Megaman(comedic purposes lol.)
This is actually rather high. A fighting game should provide as diverse of a roster as possible so you having only two is not a bad thing but may be a testament to the diversity of the cast. That being said, a lot of the Tekken characters feel like they have holes in their gameplay, namely Xiaoyu.

Smash bros. does need kind of a new direction. Something to make it fresh, and different. One thing i would like to see in the next one is the choice of two final smashes. It's just gotten repetitive now. Especially with the Starfox characters. lol. I also would like to see maybe an attribute section where you gain points and can add them to increase certain impact of moves.
One thing I've suggested was a Super Smash as a standard super and a Final Smash that would be a cinematic last stock K.O.

I made a roster BTW:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Okay, here's my newest concept for "Boss Battles", which is renamed to "The Arena".

The Arena Rest Area

Battle 1

BGM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXMAxMfVyys

You'd begin near the entrance to what looks like a colosseum. There will be a door near the colosseum, which will take you to the first boss. You will not know the identity of the boss in this room.

Battles 2 - 8

BGM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcx42nRjWBk

You'll be inside the colosseum, with a sunset being present. The room has a door, which takes you to the next boss. There's also a supply of "5" Heart Containers. If you take any of the Heart Containers, they'll be replaced with Maxim Tomatoes when you return to the rest area. While Heart Containers completely heal you, Maxim Tomatoes will only recover half of your current damage. Lastly, any Maxim Tomatoes that you grab will not respawn.

From this point, you will see an image of the boss that you'll be facing next.

Battles 9 - 15

BGM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKKa7GCqRX0

Same as above, but it'll be nighttime, with the moon being present from above.

From this point, the bosses that you haven't fought yet will have their attack power increased.

Battles 16 - 19

BGM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5kMgZ1UTVo

The sky will appear stormy with frequent lightning strikes occurring. The room remains the same with the same properties.

The Final Four bosses never change at all, meaning that they're always fought in a set order.

Boss Fight Order

The following are some of the boss inputs that I had in mind...

Battles 1 - 15

The bosses in this category are fought in a random order, which will always change with each run.

1: King Boo
2: Brobot
3: Super Dimentio
4: Tiki Tong
5: Stallord
6: Metroid Prime
7: Kyurem
8: Deathborn
9: Porky
10: Twinbellows
11: Emperor Bulblax
12: Mid-Boss All-Stars 1 (Boom Boom, Darknut, Bonkers, Eggplant Wizard)
13: Mid-Boss All-Stars 2 (Pirate Commander, Fierce Pork Trooper, Mature Red Bulborb, Konk)
14: Master Hand
15: Crazy Hand

Battles 16 - 19

The bosses in this category are always fought in a set order, which begins after the first 15 boss fights are completed.

16: Galacta Knight
17: Medusa
18: Nightmare
19: Ultimate Nightmare

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Technically he is, since he's letting others do it this time. :awesome:
Well he said something along the lines of "We've already reached that limit" insinuating the roster count of the PREVIOUS installment was his brink of balance. Thank GOD he's handing it off to multiple people this time.

Kuma, why did you keep Lucario, add Mewtwo and Meowth, but no Zorotinisect? Is this a dream roster?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well he said something along the lines of "We've already reached that limit" insinuating the roster count of the PREVIOUS installment was his brink of balance. Thank GOD he's handing it off to multiple people this time.
Yeah. Like he knows it would be too much for one man to balance a 50-character roster so he's letting others do it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Didn't he say he was getting a larger team just to help with stuff like that? Not to mention we have patches now.
I believe the quote was something to the tune of, "Although I feel the director has the clearest idea of how a game should be balanced, I welcome all the help I can get." We'll have to see whether this comes to fruition as the game development progresses.

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Because I think those are stupid. It is and isn't a dream roster.
Well I think Lucario is stupid. SO MEH.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing your roster at all. But, I would rather see something like, Pokemon Trainer be cut, add Zoroark. Some people probably think that's crazy, but, I really hate what Pokemon Trainer is. Terrible concept, to the core.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well I think Lucario is stupid. SO MEH.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing your roster at all. But, I would rather see something like, Pokemon Trainer be cut, add Zoroark. Some people probably think that's crazy, but, I really hate what Pokemon Trainer is. Terrible concept, to the core.
Pokemon Trainer can be reworked to be something like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and have the option to choose your team size. It's not a bad concept. Rather, it was horribly executed, just like Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zamus (couldn't she just have her own spot?)

And for Kumatora...

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Starphoenix: If we're going by pretty much unanimous support, Ridley and Mega Man may not fit since Ridley support is pretty weak in Japan and there are those who oppose third-party in general, but I see where you're coming from.

In the end, it doesn't necessarily change my thoughts on the character roster I feel will happen, but it did get me to thinking about the possibility that we may not see as large of a roster as we think. When I mean by this will change a lot about speculation (in at least the short run), just watch as I post the comment on GameFAQs and see how they react.
The point is is they have support going back even befor Brawl, that is what I am trying to get across. Since then other characters like Palutena, Saki, Shulk, and some others have risen to prominence, but at the end of the day it always appears to wind up with those four somewhere in the top.

Do you need help fighting this battle, Star.

Galactica.
Would be appreciated.

My first thought upon reading this was that people are going to rush to use this as irrefutable evidence that this game will have a 39 character roster.

It's difficult to take any solid info away from most Sakurai interviews, due to his constant uses of the phrases 'we might be able to...,' 'we could...,' and 'probably'.
That was my initial thought, and it appears people did not disappoint. Again, Sakurai is not saying anything shocking about the roster.

D

Deleted member

I just thought of something.
What if one of the new IPs was a revived Project H.A.M.M.E.R.?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Pokemon Trainer can be reworked to be something like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and have the option to choose your team size. It's not a bad concept. Rather, it was horribly executed, just like Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zamus (couldn't she just have her own spot?)
Zelda/Sheik are slow, I guess, but their no way near as poorly executed as Pokemon Trainer. And I think the Samus/ZSS at it's very core, is a stupid idea. Usually when I see casuals play this game, when they transform, they're usually like "Well ****, now I'm going to suck". ZSS should either be a taunt transformation, or a seperate character.

I just don't see why anyone thought PT being three vastly different playstyles, who are forced to be switched which each death WAS A GOOD IDEA. Having to be GOOD with Ivysaur, Charizard AND Squirtle is a lot to ask for a single character. Not to mention, I just want to be Charizard god damn it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Would be appreciated.
WELL. Sakurai's a pretty smart dude so he likely knows NEW CHARACTERS are one of the aspects people most look forward to. And it's not like the gameplay is going to change drastically. It'll be the content itself that takes Smash in this new direction, likely having to do with connectivity and building up characters.

So if you're going to really ADD to the game, you add new and interesting characters to be enjoyed with the gameplay. That's just. what you do. There are still notable characters missing from the roster anyway, so we haven't yet reached a point where adding more characters is unnecessary.

AM I HELPING?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I just don't see why anyone thought PT being three vastly different playstyles, who are forced to be switched which each death WAS A GOOD IDEA. Having to be GOOD with Ivysaur, Charizard AND Squirtle is a lot to ask for a single character. Not to mention, I just want to be Charizard god damn it.
That's why I think they need to go a Skullgirls/TTT2 route and get rid of the stamina crap. Make it where you can choose how many Pokemon you want and the Pokemon's damage/knockback and weight are adjusted accordingly.

D

Deleted member

ViewtifulGene will tell us why he can't, shouldn't, and won't be in the game because he would be a DDD clone. :awesome:
Because the game would suck so much, that M-09 will be able to use that suckage to suck up people like Dedede. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom