• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Okay guys, I just got back from my tournament. It was great, but instead of typing it all out again i'll copy-paste what I said in the lucas boards. Also, Lukin, I didn't make Lucas the big winner, but the tournament was just another step in doing so, IMO. Anyway, here's what happened:

My furthest was in one of the brawl singles brackets, it was a reasonably large bracket and I got pushed out of winners straight away. I progessed in losers for a little while before being knocked out just before the quarter-finals.

Doubles (surprisingly) went pretty horribly, my brother and I got knocked out of winners, then batted out again in losers, which is pretty sad considering we came 3rd last time, so we'll just have to practice more for next time.

I missed out on brawl low tier bracket, I suspect had I gone in there I would have progressed a tad further than I did, but in any case, the tournament was great and some of the matches were intense! I even got some matches recorded. Most of them are lucas but some are ness. I'll post all of them, so you can take a look if you like. BE AWARE HOWEVER that I have fallen back in to some old habits that i should not have, mainly rolling too much. It's mainly because after last tournament I stopped playing brawl for ages and then only picked it back up a couple days ago, picking the darn habit back up again before this tournament, so if you'll excuse that flaw i'm going to work on it again and try to get it under control.

Feel free to critique them when they come out, suggest what i can do better, what's working well, what I should discontinue, stuff like that, i'm sure you know the drill better than I do so i'll let you nut that out.

In any case, even though I didn't place that well, the tournament was fun and that's what's important, IMO. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results and vids when they do come out i'll post them here for you to look at.

Every tournament I go to is a big step-up in my learning curve and even though I didn't play much between last tournament and this one I still felt myself getting better, more used to playing against lots of different play-styles and so on. It's great to see the old friends and meet new ones and in general, every tournament fogs up in my mind until it eventually becomes a hazy, misty dream that I treasure going over.

(end of copy-pasting)

Smash, and you guys, are both really awesome. Thanks for receiving me as warmly as you guys did when it comes to smashboards. I can't begin to describe how it makes me feel but my most basic emotion here is gratitude and happiness. It's been amazing. Thankyou. :-)

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
People, calm your minds.

We people here in the New Smash Bros for Wii U thread pride ourselves on our professionalism and intellect

which is what I'd like to say, but this place gets ugly a lot. Don't contribute to it anymore. I am beginning to understand why SSB4 speculators have such a bad rep outside of these walls. If veterans of this place are going to be of poor quality half the time, how are we going to expect anyone else to be? Because we all tend to expect that, now don't we?
Professionalism? lol

The problem with this thread, IMO, is a combination of taking things WAY too seriously and nothing to really discuss that we haven't already before. The majority of this thread consists of character speculation (another problem with this thread), and people come in here almost every day expecting to have a mass debate hall about characters and how realistic their chances are. While that's fine and all, y'all got to remember that all that serious speculation isn't always necessary for just a video game, where ultimately, the goal is to just have fun. This ain't the Election of 2012 or something lol. What's even worse is that I've seen people denouncing dream rosters in here before. Like, lol seriously? It's okay to be a little silly and entertain ideas that may not realistically happen. It's not like we have a healthy stream of Smash 4 news or even rumors to speculate on. Comic relief, or "derp" as people like to call it, is necessary in times like these, especially considering many of us have still been posting here regularly for almost a year now despite us barely having anything Smash 4-related to discuss. It helps break up the monotony of this thread by "derping around"

Another problem with this thread as of recently, IMO, is how people constantly feel the need to comment on how cyclic this thread can get, as if it's just the most insightful thing in the whole world or something. Look, everyone who posts here regularly knows how this thread can get at times. No need to keep repeating the same thing over and over. Instead of trying to play the role of the "voice of reason" of this thread by saying that or statements similar to it all of the time, why don't you just not post in this thread if the tendencies of the thread bothers you so much

:phone:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
^
The main reason why I hardly contribute to this thread anymore. THERE IS NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT! Anything kind of topic anyone brings up is the same thing we've already discussed.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo should totally give the option to remove pants and shirts from Mii's, be able to customize your own hairstyle, and be able to change the color of the Mii's underwear.

So I can play as...

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
^
The main reason why I hardly contribute to this thread anymore. THERE IS NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT! Anything kind of topic anyone brings up is the same thing we've already discussed.
Either that or off-topic stuff. :p

But yeah, that's one of the reasons i'm looking forward to the wave to people that'll turn up after E3, because it'll bring a fresh wave of ideas in, or at the very least, a wave of new people with those ideas, which is refreshing in itself. I understand we can become a bit elitist and defensive at times but I really love how you guys were so accepting of me when I first posted here. I just hope it's the same way for the others that come in and post things. ^^

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I just looked it over (I'm a fast reader). I see what you mean now by "guest," I feel a little silly for not getting it earlier (or at least in the context you were getting at).

I'll probably add it to links thread to save for later, I've been planning out a good sized update to do when I get bored. ;)

Don't get me wrong though, I, like many other people, am still putting some money on some 3rd party characters.
It's OK. I didn't explain it very well.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hahah I was obviously kidding. You provide more information than anyone else does on here, and keep your head on your shoulders, probably better than myself. In fact, I think a lot of what I know now is from stuff you've posted in SSB4 discussion group.
Sometimes I wonder...

And here I thought you were rebelling against your lord.

I'm going to be honest.

I haven't slept since I first posted here.

It's true.
I've honestly been Speculating that for quite a while now. You must be Sad that Omega is gone too then.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Professionalism? lol

The problem with this thread, IMO, is a combination of taking things WAY too seriously and nothing to really discuss that we haven't already before. The majority of this thread consists of character speculation (another problem with this thread), and people come in here almost every day expecting to have a mass debate hall about characters and how realistic their chances are. While that's fine and all, y'all got to remember that all that serious speculation isn't always necessary for just a video game, where ultimately, the goal is to just have fun. This ain't the Election of 2012 or something lol. What's even worse is that I've seen people denouncing dream rosters in here before. Like, lol seriously? It's okay to be a little silly and entertain ideas that may not realistically happen. It's not like we have a healthy stream of Smash 4 news or even rumors to speculate on. Comic relief, or "derp" as people like to call it, is necessary in times like these, especially considering many of us have still been posting here regularly for almost a year now despite us barely having anything Smash 4-related to discuss. It helps break up the monotony of this thread by "derping around"

Another problem with this thread as of recently, IMO, is how people constantly feel the need to comment on how cyclic this thread can get, as if it's just the most insightful thing in the whole world or something. Look, everyone who posts here regularly knows how this thread can get at times. No need to keep repeating the same thing over and over. Instead of trying to play the role of the "voice of reason" of this thread by saying that or statements similar to it all of the time, why don't you just not post in this thread if the tendencies of the thread bothers you so much

This is explained better than almost anyone else can.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Okay guys, I just got back from my tournament. It was great, but instead of typing it all out again i'll copy-paste what I said in the lucas boards. Also, Lukin, I didn't make Lucas the big winner, but the tournament was just another step in doing so, IMO. Anyway, here's what happened:

My furthest was in one of the brawl singles brackets, it was a reasonably large bracket and I got pushed out of winners straight away. I progessed in losers for a little while before being knocked out just before the quarter-finals.

Doubles (surprisingly) went pretty horribly, my brother and I got knocked out of winners, then batted out again in losers, which is pretty sad considering we came 3rd last time, so we'll just have to practice more for next time.

I missed out on brawl low tier bracket, I suspect had I gone in there I would have progressed a tad further than I did, but in any case, the tournament was great and some of the matches were intense! I even got some matches recorded. Most of them are lucas but some are ness. I'll post all of them, so you can take a look if you like. BE AWARE HOWEVER that I have fallen back in to some old habits that i should not have, mainly rolling too much. It's mainly because after last tournament I stopped playing brawl for ages and then only picked it back up a couple days ago, picking the darn habit back up again before this tournament, so if you'll excuse that flaw i'm going to work on it again and try to get it under control.

Feel free to critique them when they come out, suggest what i can do better, what's working well, what I should discontinue, stuff like that, i'm sure you know the drill better than I do so i'll let you nut that out.

In any case, even though I didn't place that well, the tournament was fun and that's what's important, IMO. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results and vids when they do come out i'll post them here for you to look at.

Every tournament I go to is a big step-up in my learning curve and even though I didn't play much between last tournament and this one I still felt myself getting better, more used to playing against lots of different play-styles and so on. It's great to see the old friends and meet new ones and in general, every tournament fogs up in my mind until it eventually becomes a hazy, misty dream that I treasure going over.

(end of copy-pasting)

Smash, and you guys, are both really awesome. Thanks for receiving me as warmly as you guys did when it comes to smashboards. I can't begin to describe how it makes me feel but my most basic emotion here is gratitude and happiness. It's been amazing. Thankyou. :-)
Maybe next time.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Professionalism? lol

You make some good points, but some of them are subjective. Derp isn't necessary, in fact it's really only funny when taken in moderation. Dream rosters are okay, but people get too protective of their opinions, I myself just ignor those discussions in general.

My answer would be to start posting in the social groups more. There you get to discuss whatever you feel like, not just characters. There are pages for derping and going off-topic, the former thread being a lot funnier than the jokes made here.

You all complain about talking about the same stuff all the time, staying on a topic for too long, and being off-topic anyway, at least in the BR you can choose what you want to talk about. It's amazing what some organization can do, just look at the discussion group.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I thought it was great discussing Ridley with you, guys. I got a lot of response from people that I know post here a lot, and you made me realise that Ridley's changes might not be that small after all.

D

Deleted member

Another issue rides in the fact that people often get too full of themselves and talk down to others as if they were superior.
And before anyone says anything, I admit I am guilty of that too.

However, this is not escapable, even if you go to a social group, as this lies in the personality of the individual, not the thread itself.
So long as people like shortie and Kuma live and breathe, this is an issue.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
the only reason Ridley is on my roster is because Sakurai said he will try to make it work. I love Ridley, but if it wasn't for that statement, he would never be on my roster.

for those who haven't the privilege to see it... i will release it here now... you may tear it apart while i go out and get a free bacon and egg burrito.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
the only reason Ridley is on my roster is because Sakurai said he will try to make it work. I love Ridley, but if it wasn't for that statement, he would never be on my roster.

for those who haven't the privilege to see it... i will release it here now... you may tear it apart while i go out and get a free bacon and egg burrito.
It´s a good roster,but it needs more newcomers.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
- Bring back Board the Platforms, Race to the Finish and Snag the Trophies

- Better events, more events like Event 37 from Melee and the Trophy Tussles

- Make Classic and All-Star fights more random again

- A better, more expansive Adventure Mode with side quests, Nintendo-themed enemies and stages, appearances from characters other than bosses and the ones already playable, etc. Maybe 4-player co-op, too?

- Unique Target stages, of course

- All-Star rest areas unique to each franchise of the character chosen

- I'd like the bonus credits mode to be more of an on-rails shooting section like Star Fox Melee's, but have it to where you get rewarded coins and stickers for shooting credits like in Brawl

^^^^^^ These are a few of my wishes for the single player modes

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Augusto: Free bacon & egg burrito! Where?

However, this is not escapable, even if you go to a social group, as this lies in the personality of the individual, not the thread itself.
Probably, but it certainly less likely to happen in a social group with multiple threads, less complaining about the discussion topic, going off-topic/derping and whatnot.

@Metal: Race to the Finish with Sonic would be awesome. :cool:

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
my roommate has a set of coupons for First Meal with Taco Bell that would have let expire cause he never wakes up before 11am

more newcomers? that was the standard amount from everyone on the board... 14 is the hot number. i have 16.
NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM....

I ALsO Hav oNe OF Th3 Mo$T NeW *gulp* Franchises in a roster with 6 without using any guest characters.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
And Nintendo doesn't release a new Mario, Pokémon, or Wii/Mii game every month, amirite=??? :rotfl:
Stuff like Mario and Pokemon are part of the product line and released as new installments of the franchises. Snake appearing everywhere is kind of like a meta easter egg for Kojima in a way. Plus, Kojima gets hella money for letting snake go to a party so that works for his humor and his bank account.

Besides, Pokemon and Mario games aren't released that frequently; get outta here, lmao.

D

Deleted member

I still find it strange that Lugia was within the top 20 in the Pre-Melee poll.

Lol, could you imagine if Lugia was the 2nd Gen Pokemon in Melee instead of Pichu? :laugh:
I bet there would be less "Ridley is too big" people. :troll:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@Tri-Hy- I didn't mean that derp is necessary. I see derp as a different thing altogether from comic relief. I just meant that comic relief is necessary from time to time, and that there should be a balance between joking around and "Ok, we need to sober up this time and actually talk about something worthwhile.". I feel like with this thread, there's no middle ground, it's usually either way too serious or way too silly

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Tri-Hy- I didn't mean that derp is necessary. I see derp as a different thing altogether from comic relief. I just meant that comic relief is necessary from time to time, and that there should be a balance between joking around and "Ok, we need to sober up this time and actually talk about something worthwhile.". I feel like with this thread, there's no middle ground, it's usually either way too serious or way too silly
Probably just me trying too hard to reach a middle ground, not that excuses a lot of people's joke telling. Needs improvement people! :smirk:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What Metal Said. I wish there was a like button here.

Anyway, in addition, less Stickers overall. No redundant ones and no repeats of the same characters. We have tons of them. As for Trophies, make them EASIER to get.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
What Metal Said. I wish there was a like button here.

Anyway, in addition, less Stickers overall. No redundant ones and no repeats of the same characters. We have tons of them. As for Trophies, make them EASIER to get.
Trophies easier to get? lol stickers are much harder to get. Make them easier to get as well even though I like the challenge.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Trophies easier to get? lol stickers are much harder to get. Make them easier to get as well even though I like the challenge.
Trophies must be harder,they are not that hard to get,at least I think they aren´t...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Stickers are crap-easy to get, outside of the 5 specific ones.

SSE, regular matches with items(or the CD Factory), and of course, Coin Launcher gets you tons of them.

Trophies, however, are very difficult to get outside of the Challenges. All the rest, getting a new one is very rare.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
We need more emo characters,we only have Marth on this category.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Trophies must be harder,they are not that hard to get,at least I think they aren´t...
Stickers are harder, you can get 1000's of stickers and not get the one you need when you are close to getting all of them. It also take a long time to get trophies as well but there are less trophies than stickers. 544 trophies and 700 stickers, so there are more stickers to get and a better chance of getting one you already have.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
LOL at Golden using my link against someone else! :laugh: I friggen died! :rotfl:
I dont feel like looking for the quote, but, Sakurai basically said that adding them is ridiculously hard, and, fans/Nintendo Employees alike both have a problem with third party characters.

#Getthe****overit
This isn't exclusive to 3rd party content. Sakurai also ran into this issue with 1st and 2nd party content. Sakurai couldn't even get the rights to DONKEY KONG COUNTRY, a 1st party Nintendo game, to be a Masterpiece game in Brawl. Sakurai also couldn't get EarthBound or the 1st Fire Emblem games into the non-Japanese editions of Brawl, even though EarthBound has been released outside of Japan, and the 1st Fire Emblem's remake was coming out internationally. Go look it up if you don't believe me.

#forcingustospeakinunder160charactersdumbsdownsociety Basically, the difficulty in getting the rights to stuff is not exclusive to 3rd party content.
(also, Twitter is overrated)
They're not mainstays, like Chu said, and they could leave.
Ness wasn't supposed to be a mainstay. Sakurai straight up said on the Melee Dojo he would have replaced him with a (then) EarthBound 64 main character. That means Ness not just could leave, but would leave once MOTHER 3 was released. And in Brawl, he introduced Lucas like that. But wait... I think I remember Ness being playable in Brawl. :ness:

Enough of treating our opinions like facts. Everything is subjective until it is confirmed is the rule around here folks. :shades:
Except if Mario is returning.
He isn't n00bs.
:troll:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Stickers are harder, you can get 1000's of stickers and not get the one you need when you are close to getting all of them. It also take a long time to get trophies as well but there are less trophies than stickers. 544 trophies and 700 stickers, so there are more stickers to get and a better chance of getting one you already have.
I only have 5 more to get, and it is a PAIN. Seriously, during one match, I pick up at least 10-15 stickers, and NONE OF THEM ARE NEW. :mad:

I have 37 Mario Power Tennis Boo stickers. And 20-something Mario Party 6 Toad stickers. SUCH A PAIN.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It has nothing to do with how big those series are. it's should they be in Smash.
Snake and Sonic already work in smash, and are popular in smash. Thus, they shoudl return.
Sakurai has said the game is a Nintendo All-Stars game which means that these characters are not mainstays.
Just because the Smash 64 and Melee box art says that doesn't mean Sakurai said that. Sakurai referred to 3rd party characters as "guests" the same he did for Assist Trophy characters. Heck, Sakurai refers to many things as "guests." Also, just because you are a "guest" at my house doesn't mean you will never come back. :p

Also, Dr. Mario, Pichu, and the Ice Climbers are not "Nintendo All-Stars." More like... random Nintendo characters.
I can go though a bunch of reasons why they might not come back. But basically, it's not guaranteed. I'd put more money on Lucas coming back over Sonic.
I'd put more money on Sonic returning than the 2nd clone of Fox. I'd also put more money on Sonic returning than most of the potential newcomers we discuss here. :awesome:
The point I'm trying to make is they aren't mainstays and they aren't meant to be.
No, the reason Sakurai has said he refers to them as "guests" is because legally he can't guarantee them returning.

Side note: Sakurai ought to refer to Pokéball Pokémon, trophies, and NPCs as "guests" because many of them don't return. Or even the cut 4 Melee characters if they return! :laugh:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Stickers are crap-easy to get, outside of the 5 specific ones.

SSE, regular matches with items(or the CD Factory), and of course, Coin Launcher gets you tons of them.

Trophies, however, are very difficult to get outside of the Challenges. All the rest, getting a new one is very rare.
I had a much harder time getting all the stickers than I did getting all the trophies. I had all the trophies (excluding the one for getting all the stickers) about two years before I managed to get all the stickers. There were a half-dozen or so that no amount of runs through the SSE, CD factory-ing, or Coin Launcher-ing would get. And they weren't the 5 specific ones either. Overall stickers are easier to get, but not specific stickers, like Wizzrobe said. Of course, it might be different for everybody, but I found getting all the stickers much more frustrating and... difficult. (it's hard to blame difficulty when it's random chance).

I would be fine if stickers didn't return in the next one, but I doubt they'll be gone. Especially in the 3DS, where the "RPG" element of stickers seems to be a focus.

@Poppy
I had 60 of that Ouendan cheerleader sticker and 50-something of the Toad one before I got all the stickers. :laugh::urg:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Side note: Sakurai ought to refer to Pokéball Pokémon, trophies, and NPCs as "guests" because many of them don't return. Or even the cut 4 Melee characters if they return! :laugh:
That makes me miss Hitmonlee, Onix, Articuno, Zapdos, Raikou, and Clefairy. :(

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
How stickers are used is underwhelming and stupid. Plus, they really need bios. They are kinda lame on their own.
Stuff like Mario and Pokemon are part of the product line and released as new installments of the franchises. Snake appearing everywhere is kind of like a meta easter egg for Kojima in a way. Plus, Kojima gets hella money for letting snake go to a party so that works for his humor and his bank account.
It's not about the money. Well, at the short term money at least. It's about the advertisement, awareness, hype, and attention they get with Snake in such games. That is the goal; to make long-term money. That's why TV Networks bid for rights to the Super Bowl. They actually lose $50 million or so on having the game/advertisements, but they make money off of hyping their (mostly new) shows, which in the long run makes them millions upon millions more.
Besides, Pokemon and Mario games aren't released that frequently; get outta here, lmao.
But what about Donkey Kong/DKC characters appearing in Mario games=??? Donkey Kong has his own franchise.
And what about Wario appearing in Mario games all the time=??? He has two franchises.
And I'm pretty sure we have certain 3rd party characters crossover into Mario games frequently.

Side note: I'm pretty sure we've already got like 3 or 4 Mario games released this year alone! :laugh:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I have had like 100 of some of the same stickers and I still don't have them all. And you can also tell that sticker are harder to get because everyone says they have a harder time with stickers than trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom