• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay and no to Jr. He's not really that popular... Honestly.

Popular:
- Toad
- K. Rool
- Ridley
- Mewtwo
- Roy

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Junior and Krystal would definitely be in the unique category since they're basically just a paintbrush and staff. If they're not carrying those weapons, then they're garbage not worth consideration.

And Isaac has the psynergy, c'mon.

D

Deleted member

One thing that has me confused about the whole Ganondorf being decided as the clone because Sakurai couldn't think of any plausible ideas, is why he didn't consider Mach Rider?
Or would having moves called Rider Punch and Rider Kick cause legal issues with the company that does Kamen Rider?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Still, Bowser Jr. would be an interesting character to implement if he gets his own personal moveset. After all, he does differ from Bowser in a good number of ways.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Mach Punch, Mach Kick?

I think I suggested a while ago that when Sakurai said Mach Rider was his favorite character for "Smash 2," it was because he had him on the brain as Falcon's clone, but in the end went with Ganondorf because of his massive popularity.

But I don't think that theory holds much weight.

D

Deleted member

Mach Punch, Mach Kick?

I think I suggested a while ago that when Sakurai said Mach Rider was his favorite character for "Smash 2," it was because he had him on the brain as Falcon's clone, but in the end went with Ganondorf because of his massive popularity.

But I don't think that theory holds much weight.
That could very well be, if Sakurai had clones on the brain early, which he didn't.
What I think happened is that he had Mach on the brain for someone he wanted to revive, but instead went with the Ice Climbers because they offered something unique by being a tag-team.

But I'm still praying that Mach gets a chance for Smash 4, even if he has competition with Takamaru and Muddy Mole, two other characters Sakurai said something about.

Oh, and that Mach Rider Unchained suddenly ends up being real and revealed at E3, which would make Mach Rider NOT have those two as competition.

@Meatshieldsandall: This might prove a few things:
1.) Sakurai takes moves from spin offs (Non-mainstream games) if he wants to. This may help the case of some characters (Waluigi most notably).
2.) Sakurai never tagged Toad as "A non-fighter" material. No evidence so far.
3.) Sakurai does not really care if a character lacks moveset potential. It's more of if he could fight, he's unique and if he has a unique design compared to present characters. (Examples are Game and Watch, Zelda and Ice Climbers). OF COURSE, that's unless you come from a game where in you don't really fight (Animal Crossing).

D

Deleted member

Or he figured Falcon alone was enough tokusatsu references, lol.
We need a blatant Ultraman ripoff now. :laugh:
Captain Rainbow looks like someone that could pull off some Ultraman moves....

EDIT: And while we're at it, make a mecha character, a kaiju (unless Bowser/Giga Bowser fits that role), a magical girl, etc. And whatever else is a uberpopular Japanese genre of fiction.
EDIT2: OTHER than tentacle monster ****.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm guessing he chose Ganondorf to finish off the main Zelda series. As in, have all the key characters. It was either that or Ganon, but Ganon has no character he could be a clone of. Bowser nor DK works in general.(moveset clashes too much) But Ganondorf is a super strong and powerful man who uses magic.

So... he became a clone of a super strong and powerful man who uses fire. Only character I could see him being a decent clone of. But what other clone would've been good instead of Ganondorf?

D

Deleted member

*coughMachRidercough*

I mean, we were literally just talking about him.

Oh, and I guess Black Shadow could've been a good clone, taking Ganondorf's exact moveset. Or Blood Falcon. Or even Super Falcon. I mean, if they can have Mario and Dr. Mario...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am really anxious that in three weeks time we could be discussing Smash 4's first trailer. I am not expecting a trailer, but I am expecting to learn more details about Smash 4 and an announcement of when we will get an unveil.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I meant of an already repped series. And for that matter, somewhat more key character. Using a clone spot on a new series isn't a good idea to me.

Using it on an already repped series is better.

Let's see... series that could've had it are... F-Zero, Game & Watch, Metroid, Ice Climbers, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Earthbound, Kirby.

-Baby Bowser would've worked for the Yoshi series.
-Lucas obviously for Earthbound.
-Black Shadow most likely for F-Zero.
-Game and Watch, um...
-Perhaps Ridley could've been a modified version of Bowser? Except with a different Up B, something like Peach's?
-Not many choices for DK. Diddy wouldn't work. Actually, was anyone available beyond him at the time? King K. Rool?
-Ice Climbers... unless it was the Hammer Brothers...

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It will be sweet Chrono. For some time after E3 we shall be as happy as kings.

Then we will rapidly spiral back into depression and neglect as we resort to reenacting old arguments repetitively and acting like derps to cope. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

I meant of an already repped series. And for that matter, somewhat more key character. Using a clone spot on a new series isn't a good idea to me.

Using it on an already repped series is better.

Let's see... series that could've had it are... F-Zero, Game & Watch, Metroid, Ice Climbers, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Earthbound, Kirby.

-Baby Bowser would've worked for the Yoshi series.
-Lucas obviously for Earthbound.
-Black Shadow most likely for F-Zero.
-Game and Watch, um...
-Perhaps Ridley could've been a modified version of Bowser? Except with a different Up B, something like Peach's?
-Not many choices for DK. Diddy wouldn't work. Actually, was anyone available beyond him at the time? King K. Rool?
-Ice Climbers... unless it was the Hammer Brothers...
Baby Bowser as a clone of Bowser could've worked.
Earthbound 64 was cancelled, so I doubt Lucas would even have been considered as a clone at the time.
Or Blood Falcon, Super Falcon, etc.
Paper Mario, maybe? Although too many Mario characters.
If Ridley had a different Up B, he wouldn't exactly be a full CLONE, would he?
I don't think anyone from DKC was allowed at the time.
Again, too many Mario characters.

If Mario characters wasn't an issue, Daisy for Peach.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

EDIT: And while we're at it, make a mecha character, a kaiju (unless Bowser/Giga Bowser fits that role), a magical girl, etc. And whatever else is a uberpopular Japanese genre of fiction.
What about Ridley, Meta-Ridley, and then Lip. She can be Miki Saegusa.

Then... I dunno. Squidley.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

EDIT: And while we're at it, make a mecha character(ROB), a kaiju (unless Bowser/Giga Bowser fits that role)pretty much though so could Ridley, a magical girlZelda(she transforms and all) or Lip, etc. And whatever else is a uberpopular Japanese genre of fiction.
EDIT2: OTHER than tentacle monster ****So tentacruel..
comments in bold.

D

Deleted member

I was saying "OTHER than tentacle monster ****", as in excluding it... -_-

Also, R.O.B. is a robot. I'm talking a mecha like Gundam.
But then there's that Marionation Gear, so something from that could work, whichever's the "main" mech or whatever.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, obviously I meant non-direct Mario clones.

And Ganondorf's still a clone in Brawl with a different Forward B, so he'd still be a clone. One special move changed doesn't say much to me.

Blood Falcon was a costume, so... why upgrade him fully? They look almost exactly alike.

Daisy got a costume, but it does make sense. Then again, I could see her a sports character much like our Waluigi ideas.

D

Deleted member

In Melee, Clone meant same specials.
And Ganondorf is considered "semi-clone" in Brawl anyway.

If Ridley would be a Bowser clone in Melee, he would need to breathe fire (check), slash and grab with his claws, as well as bite (check), butt slam (check?), and spin in a shell. Since he can't spin in a shell, he wouldn't have worked.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He could do a tail slam instead. Also, wouldn't a move just like Peach's be a clone move anyway? :p

But fair enough.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@NEONKID: For the 5th time exactly in this thread, Sakurai never said anything about Toad being a non-fighter. There could have been other reasons as to why Toad was Peach's neutral B. SHEESH. IMO, Peach didn't have that.... UGHGH... I NEVER SAY THING FOR OTHER CHARACTERS but.... much abilities.....
Yup, you're right. Before I was trying to present both sides of the argument, but the second time I mentioned Toad I jumped the gun and made assumptions about Sakurai's opinions without stating they were just rumor. And even if it was hypothetically true, it's been over ten years, it's entirely possible Sakurai's opinion has changed.

And I went to go check through the Melee Dojo (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/index.html), where it was supposedly said, but I found nothing. There were some mentions of Sukapon and Takamaru and stuff in the questionnaire part, and a few mentions of Toad, but nothing about whether Sakurai thought he could be a fighter. Pages 59 and 60 were scrambled, at least for me, so something might have been said about Toad there, but it's pretty unlikely.

I remember John bringing up Sakurai's opinion on Toad and saying it was stated in the Melee Dojo. Maybe I'll ask him if he has a link or something. I know it's pretty much beating a dead horse at this time, but now I'm curious, does anybody actually have any proof towards this?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He can't be a fighter because he's Miyamoto's least favorite character

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
lol, figures.

Oh well, at least I never tried to take it as more than a rumor anyway.

And I don't know why I care all of a sudden, I never participated in Toad discussions and honestly never really cared if Toad made it or not.
...And still don't, lol.

I blame that trickster John. :laugh::laugh:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Ray, Ridley, Lip, and Takamaru.

I'm guessing he chose Ganondorf to finish off the main Zelda series. As in, have all the key characters. It was either that or Ganon, but Ganon has no character he could be a clone of. Bowser nor DK works in general.(moveset clashes too much) But Ganondorf is a super strong and powerful man who uses magic.

So... he became a clone of a super strong and powerful man who uses fire. Only character I could see him being a decent clone of. But what other clone would've been good instead of Ganondorf?
Black Shadow?

lol, figures.

Oh well, at least I never tried to take it as more than a rumor anyway.

And I don't know why I care all of a sudden, I never participated in Toad discussions and honestly never really cared if Toad made it or not.
...And still don't, lol.

I blame that trickster John. :laugh::laugh:
Yes. Miyamoto dislikes Toad thus he will not get into Smash.

*Puts on shades* :cool:

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
And I went to go check through the Melee Dojo (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/index.html), where it was supposedly said, but I found nothing. There were some mentions of Sukapon and Takamaru and stuff in the questionnaire part, and a few mentions of Toad, but nothing about whether Sakurai thought he could be a fighter. Pages 59 and 60 were scrambled, at least for me, so something might have been said about Toad there, but it's pretty unlikely.

I remember John bringing up Sakurai's opinion on Toad and saying it was stated in the Melee Dojo. Maybe I'll ask him if he has a link or something. I know it's pretty much beating a dead horse at this time, but now I'm curious, does anybody actually have any proof towards this?
Someone should spend some time on the info thread. :awesome:

Currently there is no proof towards Sakurai saying anything about Toad. Not even the great and powerful Toise has any proof to such a claim.

Kinda off topic but, TOONAMISBACK*****ES. :cool:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Someone should spend some time on the info thread. :awesome:

Currently there is no proof towards Sakurai saying anything about Toad. Not even the great and powerful Toise has any proof to such a claim.

Kinda off topic but, TOONAMISBACK*****ES. :cool:
That's where I read John's claim in the first place, lol.

Don't worry, I'm working my way through it, there's alot to read. Even when I realized I've read something in it before, I read it again. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom