• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Well, I didn't mean that she couldn't have one unless it came from a past game (alot of characters have FSs that were pretty much made up for Smash), I just thought that DK could have a different FS that still fits him, and his old one would fit Dixie if changed slightly to include her guitar.

Plus, Dixie wasn't in DK64 (Diddy played the guitar in that game), and Tiny was the one that changes sizes. If Dixie could change sizes, that would probably be implemented into her FS.

@Oasis
That would be half amusing and half terrifying. :laugh:
Ahh, I was thinking of Tiny. My brain Wasn't thinking straight but they are really similiar.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So then she'll fly around with her hair, controlling like Diddy's jetpack, and instead of peanuts she'll spit out bubblegum bombs.
That's just different enough without actually being different that it will probably be used. :glare::awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Dr. Mario's new symbol would be a megavitamin. I think the thought of Dr. Mario representing his own series comes from the fact that the Dr. Mario stickers and Chill were not grouped with the Mario series in Brawl.
Weren't they grouped with Panel de Pon stickers? Maybe they were there because of Nintendo Puzzle Collection?

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Weren't they grouped with Panel de Pon stickers? Maybe they were there because of Nintendo Puzzle Collection?
I think he should just keep the Mario symbol. I think its dumb when characters from a series have their own game and then they get their own symbol like they are from their own series when they are not.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^I think the DKC and WarioWare series do enough to distance themselves from the main Mario series, but I think anything else should be classified as part of Mario. Although I suppose I could understand if Paper Mario wasn't (though I think it should be). Dr. Mario should still be a part of Mario, but I guess it might not be anymore.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think Dr. Mario is more likely to return as a Mario costume than a character with his own slot anyway. I think Dr. Mario's only shot at returning with his own slot is if the reaction towards Mewtwo and Roy being cut soured Sakurai on cutting all of the Fallen Five, and decides to add back Dr. Mario and Pichu as a result.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
^I think the DKC and WarioWare series do enough to distance themselves from the main Mario series, but I think anything else should be classified as part of Mario. Although I suppose I could understand if Paper Mario wasn't (though I think it should be). Dr. Mario should still be a part of Mario, but I guess it might not be anymore.
I understand DK having his own series but not Wario since he debuted in a Mario game and was in lots of his games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai completely dropped Pichu.

The rest were planned. I'd say don't get your hopes up for the tiny mouse.

The rest, totally a possible choice.

Wario is his own series, he has TWO of them. No, don't lump him solely with Mario. It doesn't matter where he debuted.

I can apply that to Mario too. I guess he should have the DK symbol since he originated in a Donkey Kong game, right? Bull. If they have their own series, they can have their own symbol. Also, WarioWare isn't even RELATED to Mario. Hell, it's in a different dimension, for crying out loud.

All that's left is for Peach and Luigi to get their own symbols.(Parasol and Boo respectively) They've made their marks with their own series. Deal with it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think he should just keep the Mario symbol. I think its dumb when characters from a series have their own game and then they get their own symbol like they are from their own series when they are not.
Pretty much this. You don't see Toon Link getting his own symbol just because his games had nothing to do with the adult Link games.

The only reason Dr. Mario got in Smash was because he was a Mario clone and Sakurai needed to buff the roster on a short notice. It wasn't because Dr. Mario deserved it with his own merits. He is just Mario in a doctor's outfit. Nothing more. He only got in because he is Mario, not because he is Dr. Mario.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I understand DK having his own series but not Wario since he debuted in a Mario game and was in lots of his games.
I would agree if it was just the Wario Land series, with Wario in his original outfit, platforming and having references towards the rest of the Mario series, but WarioWare is just so totally different from the regular Mario series, and features no elements of it (other than in a few minigames -- which also reference other games). Plus there is a whole new cast of characters, with only Wario (in a new outfit) returning.

But I understand why some people think it should just be classified as part of the Mario series, and they have valid points too.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
^Well, Wario is his own series now, since his Spinoff Warioware was critically and commercially successful. It's kinda like how Constantine got his own series after Swamp Thing.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Pretty much this. You don't see Toon Link getting his own symbol just because his games had nothing to do with the adult Link games.

The only reason Dr. Mario got in Smash was because he was a Mario clone and Sakurai needed to buff the roster on a short notice. It wasn't because Dr. Mario deserved it with his own merits. He is just Mario in a doctor's outfit. Nothing more. He only got in because he is Mario, not because he is Dr. Mario.
The same goes for Pichu?

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Sakurai completely dropped Pichu.

The rest were planned. I'd say don't get your hopes up for the tiny mouse.

The rest, totally a possible choice.

Wario is his own series, he has TWO of them. No, don't lump him solely with Mario. It doesn't matter where he debuted.

I can apply that to Mario too. I guess he should have the DK symbol since he originated in a Donkey Kong game, right? Bull. If they have their own series, they can have their own symbol. Also, WarioWare isn't even RELATED to Mario. Hell, it's in a different dimension, for crying out loud.

All that's left is for Peach and Luigi to get their own symbols.(Parasol and Boo respectively) They've made their marks with their own series. Deal with it.
Are you serious about Peach and Luigi, NO WAY. And Wario is in much more Mario games than his own WarioWare games. Just because they have their own games doesn't mean they are part of an entirely different series.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Donkey kong has been in More mario games then DK games,but you don't see them changing the symbol.

and excluding spinoffs, Wario has only been in 2 Mario games(SML2,and 64DS),though one could argue SML3, since it also is WL1.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Dr. Mario does no deserve a spot. Roy an dMewtwo deserve spots. Check out my Roy movesets

Roy's sword is stronger in close range (hilt) and weaker in far range (tip)

have high knockback and can KO under 150%, except his up smash.

Roy Moveset
Jab: three horizontal slashes with sword.
Dash Attack: Roy will make jump in the air and come down with the Sword of Seals with a vertical slash. 6-11% damage. A very laggy move.
Up Tilt: Roy quickly raises the Sword of Seals pointed edge to the sky (looks sort of like his up-smash from Melee). 9-4% damage
Side Tilt: Roy will do a spin kick with one of his legs, than follow with a horizontal slice with his sword. 7-11% damage.
Down Tilt: Like his down tilt in Melee. 9-10% damage

Nair- A two handed version of his Melee nair. First hit 4-6%, second hit 6-7%.
Uair: Roy simply raises the pointed end of his Sword of Seals at 45 degree angle. While this move has very limited range, it is a powerful kill move. 9-12% damage.
Fair: A faster versions of Ike’s fair in Brawl. 6-10% damage.
Bair: Roy will swing the Sword of Seals behind him in a manner similar to Link’s Up-B, which also means that it will hit the opponent that are in front of Roy when doing this attack. 6-9% damage behind and front.
Dair: Frontflips twice, thrusts sword downward, and falls. Similar to Toon Link’s dair but it has added two front flips. 5-9% damage This move is a meteor smash.

Up-Smash: Roy will perform Marth’s up tilt, followed by a strong backflip. 13-19% damage no matter where it hits. A poor KO move.
Forward-Smash: Roy will close his eyes (this is him focusing his emotions into the Sword of Seals), and the blade will become on fire. Roy will then do the same flaming sword swipe in which he does a critical in Fire Emblem 6. 14-19% tipped, 20-27% hit from hilt of sword. Stronger than Marth’s side smash.
Down-Smash: Once again, Roy will close his eyes, and the Sword of Seals will shoot a fire ball on the ground, with strong vertical KB. 15-21% damage. It has mediocre range.

Pummel: Roy will knee the foe. 2% damage
Uthrow: Roy will kick the foe upwards. It is nerfed from SSBM. 5% damage
Fthrow: Roy tosses the foe forward. This is good for tech chasing. 4% damage
Bthrow: Roy kicks the foe behind him, poor for tech chasing. 6% damage
Dthrow: Roy tosses the foe downward and stomps on them. 7% damage

B: Flare Blade: The same move Roy had in Melee, but it is now a thrust, and lost his edgeguard abilty. 6-50% damage
Up B: Pillar: Points sword upward and rises on a pillar of flames. 13% damage, but poor vertical or horizontal recovery combined with his extremely fast falling speed makes it rather unreliable for recovery and a better out of shield option.
Side B: Holy Fire: Roy charges the Sword of Seals directly in front of him, and a white fire ball will shoot out. It has the worst range of a projectile, and it has long start up lag. If it hits a foe, it will cause a huge explosion with a HUGE hitbox. It has low knockback though. 11%
Down B: Recover: Roy will hold the Sword of Seals in the same position as he did with Counter in Melee. Two flames rotate around Roy. It he is struck while in this pose, he will heal 25% of the total damage and deal 75% of the total damage. For example if Roy was hit by Marth’s uncharged tipped side smash (which does 20% damage), he would heal himself 5% and deal 15% damage to Marth.
Final Smash: Great Balls of Fire: This Final Smash is self-explanatory. Roy will push the Sword of Seals into the ground, then get on one of his knees, and close his eyes. It will look like Roy is praying. Then, fire meteors starts shooting out diagonally from the top-left corner of the screen down toward the arena. The balls of fire don’t have much knockback, but are hard to avoid. The fireball onslaught ends after 20 seconds. Afterward, Roy will pull the Sword of Seals out of the ground and get on with the fight.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Donkey kong has been in More mario games then DK games,but you don't see them changing the symbol.

and excluding spinoffs, Wario has only been in 2 Mario games(SML2,and 64DS),though one could argue SML3, since it also is WL1.
That's just because their hasn't been enough DK games. DK has had his own games for years and years now. Wario games haven't been around near as long.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Are you serious about Peach and Luigi, NO WAY.
Technically they could be counted as their own series, but they have more impact in the main Mario series (unlike DK and Wario), which is why until something drastic changes (which it won't) they will continue to be part of the main series.

And Wario is in much more Mario games than his own WarioWare games.
But the WarioWare games and the Wario Land games have much more of an impact on the Wario character, and they are his own series. You're right in that he could easily be a part of the Mario series, but he has many more reasons to represent himself.

Just because they have their own games doesn't mean they are part of an entirely different series.
Yes it does. But they can be part of more than one series. Hell, by default every character in Smash is part of multiple series just by being in Smash. Wario is in many series: WarioWare, Wario Land, Mario Kart, pretty much all the sports games, and Smash Bros. He probably plays the least role in the main Mario games.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
That's just because their hasn't been enough DK games. DK has had his own games for years and years now. Wario games haven't been around near as long.
But...

Mario Kart,Mario Party,Mario Tennis,these games do not matter?

(for Wario)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Are you serious about Peach and Luigi, NO WAY. And Wario is in much more Mario games than his own WarioWare games. Just because they have their own games doesn't mean they are part of an entirely different series.
Um, yes, it actually does. The series are called Super Princess Peach and Luigi's Mansion. It doesn't matter if they're related to the Mario series. Like, at all. They're not Mario games. They're Peach and Luigi games. Just like Mario is Missing is a Luigi game.

Those are actual facts.

Also, Tingle has some games. They're his own, and they're not even related to the Zelda series, like, at all. Besides his origin.

Is Yoshi's Story a Mario game? No. Mario doesn't even exist in it. Hell, Luigi's Mansion doesn't even apparently take place in any Mario world. At most, it's a callback to the Boo Houses. Which... doesn't exactly make it a Mario game. Just related to the world.

D

Deleted member

I think Dr. Mario is more likely to return as a Mario costume than a character with his own slot anyway. I think Dr. Mario's only shot at returning with his own slot is if the reaction towards Mewtwo and Roy being cut soured Sakurai on cutting all of the Fallen Five, and decides to add back Dr. Mario and Pichu as a result.
I think there's a rather decent shot that Dr. Mario gets to be an alt of Mario. Sakurai likes to finish what he starts and I think Sakurai will want him to come back, but feel as a playable spot would be a waste of time and resource.

I'd be happy if the only thing they did with Mario reps was that.

In a way, I'd like for all of the Fallen Five to come back in a way. Mewtwo, Roy, and Pichu as their own slot, Dr. Mario and Young Link as alts of Mario and Toon Link respectively. Sadly, Pichu has almost no shot of returning.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Technically they could be counted as their own series, but they have more impact in the main Mario series (unlike DK and Wario), which is why until something drastic changes (which it won't) they will continue to be part of the main series.

But the WarioWare games and the Wario Land games have much more of an impact on the Wario character, and they are his own series. You're right in that he could easily be a part of the Mario series, but he has many more reasons to represent himself.

Yes it does. But they can be part of more than one series. Hell, by default every character in Smash is part of multiple series just by being in Smash. Wario is in many series: WarioWare, Wario Land, Mario Kart, pretty much all the sports games, and Smash Bros. He probably plays the least role in the main Mario games.
Wario was always a Mario character and then they decided to give him his own game. He is still a part of the Mario series. just because he got his own game it doesn't mean he shouldn't be included with the Mario cast. And do you think of an entirely different game series when you think of Wario? The Wario land games are basically just Mario sub games with Wario as the main character.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Pichu as his own slot is iffy.

even more so with the "evolution" theory.

@wiz:Wario is Odd. they didn't give him a series per se-they ended a series and turned it into his. also wario is the only Spinoff character with a successful sub-spinoff(Yoshi's Cookie Flopped, DK Barrel blast flopped, etc.), which is more unique from Mario universe Proper. and also the most requested characters-Syrup, Mona,Ashley, Jimmy-none have appeared in Mario U, just like how no one from DK(except funky and diddy) appeared.he has a universe of is own, so he earned that W.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's just because their hasn't been enough DK games. DK has had his own games for years and years now.
There not being enough games is an excuse one could also use about Wario, as it is a rather vague excuse. There had been arguably only 4 unique games in the DK series when he first got into Smash. (Depending on how you look at it, Yoshi might only have had 2). When Wario got in Brawl, he had already had around ten main games.

Wario games haven't been around near as long.
Wario got his first playable title in 1994, the same year as Donkey Kong Country.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mario series
- Super Mario Bros. games
- Super Mario Land games
- Super Mario World
- Super Mario 64
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Super Mario Galaxy games
- New Super Mario Bros. games
- Mario Kart games
- Mario Golf games
- Mario Tennis games
- Mario Party games
- Mario Baseball games
- Mario Strikers games
- Paper Mario games
- Mario & Luigi games
- Dr. Mario games
- Luigi's Mansion games
- Super Princess Peach

Donkey Kong series
- Donkey Kong arcade games
- Donkey Kong Country games
- Donkey Kong Land games
- Donkey Kong 64
- Donkey Konga games
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong games

Yoshi series
- Yoshi's Island games
- Yoshi's Story
- Yoshi Topsy Turvy
- Yoshi
- Yoshi's Cookie

Wario series
- Wario Land games
- WarioWare games
- Mario & Wario
- Wario's Woods

What's so complicated about this?

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
There not being enough games is an excuse one could also use about Wario, as it is a rather vague excuse. There had been arguably only 4 unique games in the DK series when he first got into Smash. (Depending on how you look at it, Yoshi might only have had 2). When Wario got in Brawl, he had already had around ten main games.

Wario got his first playable title in 1994, the same year as Donkey Kong Country.
I forgot about the Wario Land games when I said that and I was thinking of the WarioWare games.

Wario is still related to Mario to the point that he should be included with Mario's franchise.

For example, when you think of Peach you think of her being saved by Mario in the Mario games. Just because she got her own game doesn't mean she should represent her own series. That's why she still has the Mario symbol in the games and not her own symbol.

Wario debuted in a Mario game as well. It's not like he debuted in his own series and started appearing in Mario games, he is still part of the Mario series

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think there's a rather decent shot that Dr. Mario gets to be an alt of Mario. Sakurai likes to finish what he starts and I think Sakurai will want him to come back, but feel as a playable spot would be a waste of time and resource.

I'd be happy if the only thing they did with Mario reps was that.

In a way, I'd like for all of the Fallen Five to come back in a way. Mewtwo, Roy, and Pichu as their own slot, Dr. Mario and Young Link as alts of Mario and Toon Link respectively. Sadly, Pichu has almost no shot of returning.
Pichu is definitely the least likely of the Fallen Five to return. At least Dr. Mario has being planned for Brawl and being very easy to be made into a costume to fall back on, while Young Link has the possibility of being swapped with Toon Link (I don't think an alternate costume is feasible since Toon Link and Young Link have different proportions). Pichu cannot be easily made into a costume, and there does not exist another character for which he could possibly be swapped with.

I am curious what incarnation of Link will be used for Zelda 3DS, because assuming its another "child Link", that will most likely be the incarnation of Link used for Young/Toon Link spot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wario was always a Mario character and then they decided to give him his own game.
Yes, that is how spin-off series work. Doesn't mean their new series counts as part of the old series, just the origin of a character.

He is still a part of the Mario series. just because he got his own game it doesn't mean he shouldn't be included with the Mario cast.
I agree. He is part of both series. One he plays a minor role in spin-off sports and racing games, and the other he is the main character. He could be included in either, but him representing his two popular and successful series rather than being the fifth (technically sixth) in an already represented series he plays a small role in makes less sense.

And do you think of an entirely different game series when you think of Wario?
It is subjective what somebody thinks of first when they think of Wario, but obviously it was Sakurai's intention for people to think of Wario as part of his own series, dressing him in his WarioWare costume and differentiating himself as much as he did from the Mario series.

The Wario land games are basically just Mario sub games with Wario as the main character.
Only Super Mario Land 3. The rest were completely devoid of Mario references or series similarities beyond platforming.

Basically it comes down to: Wario could be a part of the Mario series in Smash. But it makes much more sense for him to represent his own series, something that the actual creator of Smash obviously agrees with. Peach has one title that has many similar elements of regular Mario games, and she appears in almost every main series Mario game. Her impact lies with the main series, which is something that differs with Wario, who has had the most impact in WarioWare/Land.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Roy's new look might be too awesome and could cause the game to freeze. :awesome:

Seriously though, I'm guessing his FE13 outfit would be the one used as his main outfit. Same with Marth and Ike (when he gets one). Although Marth might be a little more debatable.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Roy's new look might be too awesome and could cause the game to freeze. :awesome:

Seriously though, I'm guessing his FE13 outfit would be the one used as his main outfit. Same with Marth and Ike (when he gets one). Although Marth might be a little more debatable.
Falcon's in Smash and that doesn't make the game freeze, So I think the game could handle it. Although, Falcon was toned down by too much to count so it's understandable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Falcon's true awesomeness in Smash was unfiltered, the game would explode when you first turned it on.

edit: Ooh, Vaati do you have a link for that? I hope it's not the case. I understand Toon Link is popular and now might even help sell the game more, but I like variety in my Links. :woman:

D

Deleted member

Pichu is definitely the least likely of the Fallen Five to return. At least Dr. Mario has being planned for Brawl and being very easy to be made into a costume to fall back on, while Young Link has the possibility of being swapped with Toon Link (I don't think an alternate costume is feasible since Toon Link and Young Link have different proportions). Pichu cannot be easily made into a costume, and there does not exist another character for which he could possibly be swapped with.

I am curious what incarnation of Link will be used for Zelda 3DS, because assuming its another "child Link", that will most likely be the incarnation of Link used for Young/Toon Link spot.
Shortie did make some arguments about how Pichu could be an alt of Pikachu, but I'd have to dig and considering how often he posts, I'm too lazy to do so, but I can't see it as well.

As for a variation in Zelda 3DS, I think it'll be a return of Toon Link since I don't think they're finish with him yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom