• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Keeping it Queer A Him :awesome:

No offence though lol (this part was aimed at Oasis his kitten heels post)

Donkey Kong is no ****ing sub series. End of argument.

:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
@GoldenYuiitusin: I don't think it would be fair to say that Waluigi is as likely as Toad, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario. There's nothing really going for him that the other three don't have.

@ChronoBound: I'm not sure why anyone would expect K. Rool or Dixie Kong to even show up anyway in those games, even with the choices they made for it (which shows that Mario spin-off games pick characters off a hat).
Walugi has a lot of popularity. He has that going for him. Other than that, Waluigi does not particularly stand out. I think for this very reason, Sakurai might not give Mario a newcomer (though compensate for the lack of a newcomer by giving Mario more new items, stages, Assist Trophies, and music than other Nintendo franchises).

Also, I do think that K. Rool and Dixie Kong showing up in a Mario spinoff is entirely possible. DK characters that were not DK or Diddy were playable in Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Mario Kart Wii, and Mario Super Sluggers. They are definitely not a staple, but they can make an appearance.

I am still dismayed that both of those characters (K. Rool and Dixie Kong) have not made any more game appearances since Mario Super Sluggers (which was released four years ago). I am hoping they there is a game announced at E3 in which they make a new appearance.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
@GoldenYuiitusin: I don't think it would be fair to say that Waluigi is as likely as Toad, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario. There's nothing really going for him that the other three don't have.

@ChronoBound: I'm not sure why anyone would expect K. Rool or Dixie Kong to even show up anyway in those games, even with the choices they made for it (which shows that Mario spin-off games pick characters off a hat).
they probably thought they had a chance since Funky popped up in MKwii.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

Kitten Heels.

You will pay for this Oasis_****.

And also, I've already previously explained why Paper Mario is the most logical choice, or at the very least objectively around Toad and Bowser Jr. level. No one could refute it really.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Paper Mario isn't a bad choice at all but Golden's sooooooo right

If we were really going to get a second Mario, might as well just add Doc again

D

Deleted member

And also, I've already previously explained why Paper Mario is the most logical choice, or at the very least objectively around Toad and Bowser Jr. level. No one could refute it really.
That's because I wasn't around to refute it.
Tell me of this explanation.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Paper Mario imo is easily the best choice. Just not the most likely one. :/

That's why I support Toad over him. Bowser Jr. is a close second. Then comes Doc I guess. As long as its not Waluigi.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It's also why I would personally expect Toad and Bowser Jr. above Paper Mario and Waluigi.
edit: Keeping in mind Toad and Bowser Jr also appear in most sport and racing games as well.
I am thinking now that the most likely choices for a Mario newcomer are Toad and Bowser Jr. Dr. Mario might also be a candidate if Sakurai is feeling he wants to bring back EVERYONE who got cut from Melee.

D

Deleted member

It's interesting that Donkey Kong characters appear in Mario spin-offs.

It's crazy that Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong that Mario faced off with.

It's cool how Donkey Kong GB explained how Mario got to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
The only arguments I ever see for Paper Mario is that he'd be more unique than Doc and that his games are well received

That's nice and all, but I'd like to see a real reason why he should be added

D

Deleted member

GoldenYuiitusin said:
Assist Trophy status; Sakurai's liking of him, showing in both Melee and Brawl.
If anything, putting Paper Mario on that list is not fair. Why people think he's so damn likely is beyond me.
I never stated Paper Mario was likely, just that he was more likely than Waluigi.

How is Waluigi being an Assist Trophy helping his chances? It's more than possible that Sakurai may consider him just AT material?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Donkey Kong GB was released before DKC. Cranky being the original DK means the series are LINKED, not that DKC is a sub series.

Guess Zelda and Metroid are sub series to, as Link and Samus appeared in Mario RPG :rolleyes:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
What is classified as a good reason for a character to be in exactly?

And might as well add Doc if we are to get a second Mario? Are you kidding me? Paper Mario is leagues better than Doc, they aren't even close to similar either.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
What is classified as a good reason for a character to be in exactly?
There is the character criteria, but most people just ignor them or over/under think them.

Also you have 999 posts. ;)

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Paper Mario isn't a bad choice at all but Golden's sooooooo right

If we were really going to get a second Mario, might as well just add Doc again

Doc doesn't have much to draw from his games for a unique moveset that's unique. Like, the viruses could act like pikmin do for Olimar but that wouldn't feel organic to Dr. Mario considering that viruses are enemies so yeah. You could tweak his normals but that wouldn't be too satisfying imo.

D

Deleted member

Donkey Kong GB was released before DKC. Cranky being the original DK means the series are LINKED, not that DKC is a sub series.

Then explain how it is Donkey Kong characters appear in Mario spin-offs? And borrow elements from Mario as well?

I don't even know why I'm arguing this, since Nintendo and Sakurai view Donkey Kong as a subseries, so it's one boy vs. a company.

@SSBF: And did it occur to you that Sakurai may think Paper Mario to not be material at all, considering all he is ever was was a trophy? And that he would rather add Dr. Mario again than consider Paper Mario, as shown in Brawl's data?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think the only PLUS on Paper's side is that he'd be a very visually interesting character. But I've yet to see anyone take advantage of the Paper aspect of Paper Mario in a moveset. The only reason we consider him is because he is paper, because that sets him apart from all other Mario designs, but if he's just going to fight like another Mario, then why bother with him.

Another Mario? Another Bowser? Toad is useless? None of the above, please.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I am thinking now that the most likely choices for a Mario newcomer are Toad and Bowser Jr. Dr. Mario might also be a candidate if Sakurai is feeling he wants to bring back EVERYONE who got cut from Melee.
Did I manage to sway Chrono, even a little? :surprised:

I finally feel like I've contributed to the thread. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Although I probably just had the timing to post an argument that supported Chrono's new mentality.

And I agree that the only way the Doc would show up as his own character is if Sakurai brought back (or at least attempted to bring) all the cut Melee veterans.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: I fear that they (K. Rool and Dixie) may not make an appearance for awhile since it doesn't look like we're getting DK Country Returns 2 for a few more years.

As for Mario reps, I think we'll get at least something in regards to rep (although nothing guarantee), even if it's just Doc as an alt.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Did I manage to sway Chrono, even a little? :surprised:

I finally feel like I've contributed to the thread. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Although I probably just had the timing to post an argument that supported Chrono's new mentality.

And I agree that the only way the Doc would show up as his own character is if Sakurai brought back (or at least attempted to bring) all the cut Melee veterans.
I was feeling this way for a while. I had considered Paper Mario for a long time to be in the same tier as Toad and Bowser Jr., however, I then realized that Paper Mario would probably need specifically made "paper" animations for most of his A-moves. I also think that Sakurai would probably opt to represent the Paper Mario sub-series in other means, such as a stage (with accompanying music), items, and possibly an Assist Trophy of a character from the series.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I think the only PLUS on Paper's side is that he'd be a very visually interesting character. But I've yet to see anyone take advantage of the Paper aspect of Paper Mario in a moveset. The only reason we consider him is because he is paper, because that sets him apart from all other Mario designs, but if he's just going to fight like another Mario, then why bother with him.

Another Mario? Another Bowser? Toad is useless? None of the above, please.
Paper Mario wouldn't behave like a normal Mario at all. In fact, he'd play drastically different from anyone else, just about everyone who has made a moveset for him has shown how ******** easy it is. In fact, I thought his moveset potential was one of the few things people accepted that he was the best with in terms of possible Mario newcomers.

I'll look for my post that I posted for Shortie's game, perhaps no one read it because it was kind of lengthy.

There is the character criteria, but most people just ignor them or over/under think them.

Also you have 999 posts. ;)
Not anymore. :awesome: I AM OFFICIALLY AT FOUR DIGITS, I FEEL SO GOOD RIGHT NOW.

Paper Mario satisfies Sakurai's criteria, and also lacks weaknesses and bears greater strengths than Toad or Bowser Jr, at least slightly. I believe that was my conclusion when I posted at length about it. I even started typing beginning to think Toad and Jr. were better than I imagined, but once I started talking about Paper Mario, I found that all of the issues people have with the first two are gone with him, and the things that we can praise of the other two are there, and Paper Mario even has his own franchise. He absolutely trumps the competition, it even surprised me when I finished my old post saying that.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
One of Bowser Jr's biggest advantages for inclusion is that he can probably be based off Bowser for some of his moves (specials, notably). People need to start realizing that a prospective newcomer having another character already on the roster for which they can already be based off of, works more to their advantage than it does not. I think it certainly helped Wolf, Lucas, and Toon Link.

D

Deleted member

GoldenYuiitusin said:
@SSBF: And did it occur to you that Sakurai may think Paper Mario to not be material at all, considering all he is ever was was a trophy? And that he would rather add Dr. Mario again than consider Paper Mario, as shown in Brawl's data?
Diddy Kong wasn't even a trophy in Melee and he's in Brawl.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Nah, most movesets just make Paper some kind of Ice Climber variant. Tack on a gimmick partner system or badge system. No one really takes advantage of the fact that he's made of paper. I mean, he can turn into a boat while swimming, roll himself up to crawl quickly, glide as a paper airplane. AND THAT'S ALL COOL. But again, he's just a more visually interesting Mario doing things any Mario could do.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I wasn't saying that Paper and Doc would be similar in any way

I'm saying that we don't need a second Mario, but if that were to happen, it would probably be Doc since at the very least, he was in Smash as a playable character before. Not saying that he should be in because of that, or that Paper can't get in, mind you

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
First off, comparing Nana to swapping out different types of partners that'd alter his special moves is a bit of a stretch. Second of all, if you don't see people using paper moves in his set, well, it doesn't change that he still can. And no, not every Mario can do paper stuff, just him.

D

Deleted member

Again, as Oasis is saying, what "paper stuff" does Paper Mario do in movesets that Mario cannot?

I have yet to see a moveset that takes advantages of folding, rolling, etc.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ice Climber variant, as in, he just swings around his hammer a lot.

They TRY to make him UNIQUE by tacking on a partner/badge system, completely ignoring the fact that he's PAPER. If being PAPER isn't what makes PAPER Mario worth consideration, then why bother.

D

Deleted member

Ice Climber variant, as in, he just swings around his hammer a lot.

They TRY to make him UNIQUE by tacking on a partner/badge system, completely ignoring the fact that he's PAPER. If being PAPER isn't what makes PAPER Mario worth consideration, then why bother.
This.

It would be the same deal as having two Warios one in WL style, one in WW style.

They look different, have different attacks, and apparently different sizes and weights. (WL Wario should be around Luigi's height, not Mario's like WW Wario) Also, they move different. WL Wario moves at a more fluid pace like normal characters while WW Wario moves like Game & Watch.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Paper Mario could have like one hammer move, his forward Smash. He doesn't need to use it throughout. He can turn into a paper plane for a recovery. His roll can be him rolling into a paper roll. One Special can swap partners. Another Special can be to activate his partner's special power. And the last special can have him turn 3D and thus thin, like a defensive skill (which he does). So much unique potential involving partners AND paper stuff. It is easy as crap.

You guys are acting like you haven't seen anyone post a Paper Mario set ever.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We are only three weeks away from E3. I wonder if we will soon be seeing a deluge of new posters in this thread in anticipation for a possible Smash 4 unveil? I am thinking next week is when we will start to see this. The week before E3 there will be a chaotic euphoria in anticipation for Smash 4's impending unveil.

Keep in mind that Smash 4's unveil will probably not happen at Nintendo's press conference on Tuesday. Brawl was revealed at a separate event later on during that week.

D

Deleted member

Paper Mario could have like one hammer move, his forward Smash. He doesn't need to use it throughout. He can turn into a paper plane for a recovery. His roll can be him rolling into a paper roll. One Special can swap partners. Another Special can be to activate his partner's special power. And the last special can have him turn 3D and thus thin, like a defensive skill (which he does). So much unique potential involving partners AND paper stuff. It is easy as crap.

You guys are acting like you haven't seen anyone post a Paper Mario set ever.
It's easy as crap to make a 2nd Wario as well.
And it would also rep the Wario Land series, which is horribly underrepped while WarioWare is repped as the majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom