• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Now that you mention wavelanding, John, I'd be interested to see Mario's other jumps incorporated into Smash.
Off topic :I like how Mario's cape gliding mechanics from Super Mario World are totally the gliding mechanics in Brawl. Well, except for the fact Mario can't use them! :laugh:

Also, that would be interesting. Personally, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for the smash bros developers to consider or test :mariomelee: and :luigimelee: having an added jump. I also think both of those characters not just should have, but need their up B to make them go higher, unless of course :mario64: and :luigi64: tornado helps them rise up (like in Smash 64). Both :mariobrawl: and :luigimelee: have crappy horizontal recovery in Brawl.
Well, I don't think Sakurai is going to get rid of an intrinsic part of gameplay to pander to somebody's notion of "honorable combat."
If Sakurai wants to remove edge hogging, Sakurai would probably have to remove stages with ledges. Then Smash would be minimally different from traditional fighting games.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't see the big deal about wavedashing. I mean, as far as I know it's only used to show off after you KO somebody.

Like Dashdancing.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I just find wavedashing satisfying to do. But I'd never use it in a match. XD

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
See, I don't mind it when people say this. Because you know what=??? It does look unnatural. And it is really weird to watch, because it is physically impossible.
However, I gotta say that wavelanding (or at least the concept of wavelanding) at least makes sense. I mean, if you were to long jump in say Super Mario 64, naturally Mario slides due to gravity. That's why IMO wavelanding should be in smash, at least more than it is in Brawl. Seriously, the extremely fall waveland in Brawl was garbage.
I can't argue with you on that John.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
My memory is failing me but there have been pros in melee who were minimalist on such techs and were very successful.
Well with the tech teching, no. :awesome: But yeah, we call them :jigglypuffmelee: players. :bee: And some :ganonmelee:, :linkmelee:, :zeldamelee:, and :bowsermelee: players.
Mmm... Isn't this how major conflicts begin. The differing interpretations of what is "good." If you want to define it, then you better be Strong.
Good is anything that makes smash bros not needlessly complex (ie: having to push 7 buttons for one attack), or dumbs smash down just to make it simpler. Instead, smash should be about minimally complex things to execute that require a mastery of to use complexly on a consistent basis.
An example of this would be say shine spiking. Learning how to properly shine spike took me a long time. But after applying it by getting my butt whooped hundreds of times, I have learned how to use this on a consistent basis. Despite this, much better players are still able to stop me from doing this often. Thus, I haven't "mastered" shine spiking.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Can't we just have wave dashing were it's like the Tekken wavedash? You know, where the Mishimas dashed forward? None of this super short hopping or anything like that.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't see the big deal about wavedashing. I mean, as far as I know it's only used to show off after you KO somebody.
With some characters that is all it is (Bowser, Link, Ganondorf), or is occasionally useful for spacing for said characters. However, for all character wavedashing is a useful quick spacing tool that can be used both offensively and defensively. It also helps that you can wavedash into a ledge hogging.
Like Dashdancing.
Dash dancing is extremely important. It help keeps your movement unpredictable. It is a valuable asset for every character in Smash 64 and Melee. Brawl suffered without it.
I can't argue with you on that John.
You can debate it if you want. :p Regardless, I think wavelanding (at least twice as far and much faster as it was in Brawl) should be in smash.[COLLAPSE="My opinions on whether wavedashing should return or not depends on if:"]1. Dash dancing returns. If it does, I don't think wavedashing is "needed."
2. How the physics/gameplay/offense-defense balance. Brawl, for instance, IMO would have been better wavedashing due to a lack of "options" for most characters.[/COLLAPSE]

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Better yet, why don't we have a bowling or volleyball minigame in Smash or something

You know, like Tekken Bowl or Tekken Ball

*goes back to lurking*

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Edge-hogging in Melee earns one the "Edgehogger" bonus. The bonus is earned whenever one character is holding an edge and someone else moves into a spot where they can otherwise grab it, regardless of whether the edgehogged character is KO'd.
This is all that had to be said on the edge hogging tip. It means something when the developers give you a pat on the back for using a tactic.

Curling mini game IMO.

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
it's good to make it easier to adapt. Melee was terrible about that. Brawl, however, did a pretty good job of it.
There are dozens of more techniques in Brawl, and it's hard to get into than Melee. Most people who start Brawl competitively assume it'll be easier than Melee to get into.
It's not really the length so much that if you can't do it, you really can't win anymore. That's what I call alienating. L-Cancelling? Not an issue. Yes, you'll lose a bit more, but not only is it crap-easy to do ANYWAY, it really has no effect other than improving your game decently.
If you can't win because you suck, ask a better player for advice to get better and do work, son! If you wanna be good at something, you have to put the effort in first. Smash players have all they need in other players with knowledge to learn how to play competitive smash successfully.

To quote Vince Lombardi, "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will."
...Young Link is bad?
LOL. I said :younglinkmelee: wasn't "ranked very high" on the tiers, along with :samusmelee:, :luigimelee:, :mariomelee:, and :drmario:, all of whom are ranked higher on the tiers.
Roy is bad?
:roymelee: is really weak. He is an all-around worse :marthmelee:. He even weighs less than :marthmelee: and has less range than :marthmelee: The fact you don't know is startling.
Mewtwo, yes, sure... what, are you comparing this solely to the Tier List? I presume you are... but Young Link is not "bad". He's still above Link, who is mid tier. Bad would actually be in the bottom tier.
Young Link is a spot lower than :linkmelee: at 17th/26. Still, again, I said :younglink: "isn't ranked very high." He isn't. He's weaker than most characters. That isn't anything "special."

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Curling mini game IMO.

This x 10000000

Muddy Mole + Olimar + Ice Climbers + Yoshi = Best Curling Team ever.

But on a less curling-related note, but still ice related, I believe a while back someone said something about adding more ice moves. Are there any potential newcomers or revamps for old characters that can use Ice moves? Just curious.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
My favorite mini-games in Mario Party was the one with the key and boos in the 1st one, the ones with the balls in the circle area (Mario Party 1 and 2), the plane one (Mario Party 3), the snowball one (Mario Part 3), the "Super Mushroom" one (in Mario Party 3)...

...actually I like a lot of the non-single button mashing mini-games in Mario Party. Talking about this makes me kind of want a Mario Party stage in Smash. :shades:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Cubchoo would be perfect opposum. <3 that cute snotty bair.

XD I meant bear. I think this means I spend too much time here.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
My favorite mini-games in Mario Party was the one with the key and boos in the 1st one, the ones with the balls in the circle area (Mario Party 1 and 2), the plane one (Mario Party 3), the snowball one (Mario Part 3), the "Super Mushroom" one (in Mario Party 3)...

...actually I like a lot of the non-single button mashing mini-games in Mario Party. Talking about this makes me kind of want a Mario Party stage in Smash. :shades:
I've been playing Mario Party 9 pretty much once or twice every weekend for awhile now with my friends. Heck, it's better than I thought it would be. Anyway, my favorite Mario Party games so far are 2, 3 and 9. :)

And I would love a Mario Party stage for the next Smash game. .__. They have done it with WarioWare Inc so why not a Mario Party stage?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, that just proves Edgehogging is a legitimate in-game tactic and we're supposed to use it.

Not to say it can't be banned.

Also, I think teammates should be able to grab the ledge together, but enemies(outside of tethering, which should work. IMO, it should only autosweetspot when nobody is on the ledge OR there is nowhere else to grab)

Let me put it this way:

It autograbs the ledge under these conditions:

1) It's not occupied by an opponent.
2) It's occupied by a teammate.
3) There is nowhere else to autograb.

Otherwise, it should hit the wall, like in Melee.

Also, yes to Mario Party stuff. It's a great series. I mean, we acknowledge Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, and Mario Golf already. Plus Super Mario RPG.(and arguably Paper Mario with the Parasol)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It would probably be a cool concept if Adventure Mode has a stage involving Squiddicus. Just like in Donkey Kong Country Returns, you'd have to avoid Squiddicus's attacks as you advance through the stage. If any of Squiddicus's tentacles hit you, you'll take heavy damage.

[collapse=Squiddicus]
[/collapse]

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thank you. In fact, maybe for a finishing touch, there would be a part of the stage where Squiddicus would literally chase you. During that part, you have to get away from him until you reach shore, but if you're too far ahead of him, he'll charge forward to catch up (similar to how Giant Bowser operated in New Super Mario Bros. Wii).

Now, like the Pig King Statue from the Subspace Emissary, Squiddicus can't be harmed in any way, so you have no choice but to run.

On a final note, Squiddicus serves no one, so he's basically a neutral enemy.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I approve of a Donkey Kong Country Returns stage and a Mario Party stage for SSB4. The Mario Party stage could be very simple with Mario Party themes and could be interrupted with little mini games or involve cubes spinning and players could jump up and hit them. Not sure what could commence then, haven't thought too hard on it.

Also Return to Dream Land stage ideas?

And I still think a generic Super Mario Galaxy with several planets and such around where you can run 360 degrees around them and jump to one to the other would be fantastic.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
And I still think a generic Super Mario Galaxy with several planets and such around where you can run 360 degrees around them and jump to one to the other would be fantastic.
No, it has to be flat and without any hazards or ANYTHING THAT WILL MAKE IT INTERESTING.

What are you, some kind of casual freak?

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Oh my apologies, every stage needs to be Final Destination with a different theme for each franchise.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Some of them can have between one and three platforms, but they have to be to code. Non-regulation platforms must be banned.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
FD, I rarely play on. It's not even a real "neutral" stage. You want Battlefield for that. Closest one possible.

Hint: This game is about knocking your opponent off the stage. A single surface is terrible for that, as the metagame revolves around platforms. Oy, people. BTW, FD is a very controversial stage and banned by some TO's. ...Which Battlefield, never heard of it ever being hit.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I approve of a Donkey Kong Country Returns stage and a Mario Party stage for SSB4. The Mario Party stage could be very simple with Mario Party themes and could be interrupted with little mini games or involve cubes spinning and players could jump up and hit them. Not sure what could commence then, haven't thought too hard on it.

A Mario Party stage could make a very interesting stage probably.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Tails' only possible clone move is the Up B.

Tails' Adventure gave him TONS of items to use. Punches, Spindash variants, various explosives, even a robot.(that one's good for a taunt)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Princess Peach's Birthday Cake.

Cookie Country

I still prefer the idea of a Starship Mario/Rosalina's Observatory stage that goes through various galaxies from both games, and as it does the gravity changes. Best way of implementing every theme of the Galaxy series without resorting to trying to implement crazy 360 mechanics.

@Iblis: Yo, you know SEGA just put up a bunch of Sonic soundtracks on Itunes, right?
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=177174

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
[glow]I Would love to see this!! May be kind of a strangely structured stage though.[/glow]
Platforms are made of pieces of cake with icing. If you stand on a platform too long you sink through the icing and cut through the cake to a layer below. Pieces of fruit could act as miniature springs.

Oh, and with this theme.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Princess Peach's Birthday Cake.
You know, that is a pretty good idea.

A really long detailed description. I'll take this. XD

I still prefer the idea of a Starship Mario/Rosalina's Observatory stage that goes through various galaxies from both games, and as it does the gravity changes. Best way of implementing every theme of the Galaxy series without resorting to trying to implement crazy 360 mechanics.
But the 360 mechanics would just be so much fun. ;-;

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wow, there are some very blurred views of some very old stereotypes that died a while back LOL
LOL I know.

I think stages are fine with variations. I just don't want to see it where hazards are defining aspects. Like, Norfair would be fine (albeit a bit bland) without the the tunnels or the lava. Likewise, Port Town would've been great without the cars being mandatory.

I mean, look at the stages for Virtua Fighter and Tekken. Some of VF's stages lack ringouts while others don't. Likewise, Tekken's stages vary with having walls or not and having floors or not. The stages with varied, and I don't know of any particular bannings.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
A really long detailed description. I'll take this. XD
Take a look at other concepts in my blog, they get longer than that. lol

But the 360 mechanics would just be so much fun. ;-;
It could be, but my mind cannot think of a way to make it work to where it would not become a distraction from the battle.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
@Iblis: Yo, you know SEGA just put up a bunch of Sonic soundtracks on Itunes, right?
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=177174
Ahhh thank you Star.

LOL I know.

I think stages are fine with variations. I just don't want to see it where hazards are defining aspects. Like, Norfair would be fine (albeit a bit bland) without the the tunnels or the lava. Likewise, Port Town would've been great without the cars being mandatory.

I mean, look at the stages for Virtua Fighter and Tekken. Some of VF's stages lack ringouts while others don't. Likewise, Tekken's stages vary with having walls or not and having floors or not. The stages with varied, and I don't know of any particular bannings.
Some things never change.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Regarding the Super Mario Galaxy stage concept, there is that Galaxy Tours stage plot that I got involved with.

Basically, you're on a battlefield that travels from galaxy to galaxy. It will also make occasional stops, and even land on parts of galaxies. The Starship Mario will also make random cameos at some galaxies.

Galaxies that will appear include, but are not limited to...

1: Gateway Galaxy; this galaxy always comes first
2: Good Egg Galaxy
3: Battlerock Galaxy
4: Gusty Garden Galaxy
5: Freezeflame Galaxy
6: Melty Molten Galaxy
7: Yoshi Star Galaxy
8: Wild Glide Galaxy
9: Throwback Galaxy
10: Mario Squared Galaxy

After every five galaxy trips, the battlefield will then head to the Comet Observatory, where it will circle around the place; it's basically like a tour. After the Comet Observatory tour, the galaxy trip counter resets, starting with the Gateway Galaxy again.

This stage is Rosalina's personal stage, and is automatically unlocked when the player defeats Rosalina in a challenger match; you need to unlock her to unlock the stage itself.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Take a look at other concepts in my blog, they get longer than that. lol
I'll have to do that sometime my friend.

It could be, but my mind cannot think of a way to make it work to where it would not become a distraction from the battle.
That's the point! XDD

Wow, there are some very blurred views of some very old stereotypes that died a while back LOL
I don't know what this is, but I'm offended by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom