• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Landorus, Tornadus, and Thundurus have new forms... o.O
Seems that "leak" yesterday was wrong.

Still these alts are hilarious. Looks like Tornadus bird form was the mystery Pokemon. lol

EDIT: I really hope what they said on Serebi is true, that old characters from past games will return such as: Green (also known as Gary), Misty, Giovanni, Lance, Volkner, Steven, Brock, etc.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oops, I just saw the new FE13 DLC.

I'm not a big fan of him (in FE8 I always did Erika's story instead, she needed the exp and whatnot), but Ephraim definitely has one of the better redesigns. Personally I like it better than Roy's.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
...Smash is a fighting story. It is not a "friendly" environment. It's a battle environment with enemies and destruction. It is not a cutesy game. I can't believe people actually think it's even close to that. It doesn't have all that "blood" and "gore". It's a major game of destroying your opponents in various ways.
I added short backstories, and gave characters adventures based on how they normally act. I also gave them their regular personalities. In other words, I made each how they ACTUALLY ARE, instead of the SSE saying "oh, it's time to go on an adventure for no reason and stop acting like I normally do now" like the majority of the cast did. If you can't imagine characters fighting in the worlds I mentioned, then that's your fault. Not mine. I brought up that you fight enemies of those worlds all along the way, plus many bosses.

In an actual story mode, the characters would eventually all wind up for a much more epic super battle than that crap with Tabuu and his Rainbow Wings Doom.
SSE is a Story Mode, not a simple Adventure Mode. They're completely different here.
Then why is it called "Adventure Mode" on the menu, eh=??? Besides, something can be an Adventure and a Story. It's called every damn adventure/platform game ever.
Yes, a regular Adventure Mode would be great, but the original one wasn't a story, it was just a simple string of events and had no real story at all. Just a guy who travels through some worlds to fight a supervillain.
You can build a story around all the characters traveling through different worlds with different intents, goals, and missions. The problem with the SSE, again, is it had few of the character's interests, goals, or personalities involved. When it did, it was only a small tidbit in their intro. Again, that goes back the "Who Frame Roger Rabbit?" example. Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny act like Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny in that. If they didn't, fans would be irate. That is where the SSE fails.
SSE is nothing like Adventure Mode. Its purpose was to literally be Sakurai's own fanfiction and should be treated as such. Not a literal canon Nintendo story, but a glorious original story that takes the basic structure of the characters themselves and turn them into something awesome.
These characters acted nothing like they do outside of smash. That is why they are trash in the story. It's not Falco I am playing as, but a shadow of Falco. That's lame.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You have to take into account that the setting of Smash =/= the setting that the characters came from, John. It's like an alternate reality, where all of the characters look the same but are changed in ways influenced by where they are.

That aside, I agree that the story for Brawl was kinda lulzy, but what did you expect?

Smooth Criminal

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Smooth
I can handle a crappy story. However, I can't stand Falco starting out by appearing as such a BAMF (like he is in Star Fox) for 5 seconds, and then never acts out, or acts like he normally does ever again. That happened with dang near the entire cast.

If the entire cast acted like themselves all the time, that alone would be the price of admission for me. I mean, C'MON! Captain Falcon did one little Falcon Pawnch, and then we never saw him do anything worthwhile again ever. Seriously, the POSSIBILITIES ARE MIND BLOWING!!!
Dixie and Diddy are supposed to be 'one' character... soo unless sakurai intends to seperate them they should go back to what they originally were. Putting them together at all times. I really hope he does go with his original plan, as who actually enjoys playing against naner spam? lol
Well if you want Diddy Kong to be weaker, why would you add a teammate as a solution=???

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I added short backstories, and gave characters adventures based on how they normally act. I also gave them their regular personalities. In other words, I made each how they ACTUALLY ARE, instead of the SSE saying "oh, it's time to go on an adventure for no reason and stop acting like I normally do now" like the majority of the cast did. If you can't imagine characters fighting in the worlds I mentioned, then that's your fault. Not mine. I brought up that you fight enemies of those worlds all along the way, including several bosses.
But then it stops being Smash Bros. Smash Bros. is not a Canon or related game to any of their original series. It just has the characters. It was literally a fanfiction, Johnknight1. In every sense of the word. It's basically a fangame. Why is it a fangame? A fan of Nintendo made it. Albeit, yes, it's an official series and all. But it still its every definition of a fangame regardless.

In an actual story mode, the characters would eventually all wind up for a much more epic super battle than that crap with Tabuu and his Rainbow Wings Doom.
Calling Tabuu crap despite being actually a pretty good villain for a guy with absolutely no dialogue is silly. He did pretty well. Also, it was either him or Marx as the final villain. Do we need yet another Kirby character running the show? No. Story Mode means there's a story. There is definitely an obvious story there. Adventure Mode in Melee HAD NO REAL STORY. Like, at all. It was just basically the same as Classic Mode, or specifically, 64's version. No difference whatsoever.

Then why is it called "Adventure Mode" on the menu, eh=??? Besides, something can be an Adventure and a Story. It's called every damn adventure/platform game ever.
You mean like it's called Tourney Mode despite being unusable for any real competitive tourneys? Oh, you still go on an Adventure. But let's be honest, it's the only existing Story Mode in Smash. What it's called does not automatically determine what it fully is.

You can build a story around all the characters traveling through different worlds with different intents, goals, and missions. It's not that hard. The problem with the SSE, again, is it had few of the character's interests, goals, or personalities involved. When it did, it was only at their intro. After that, they were just tag along characters who rarely acted like they do outside of smash. Again, that goes back the "Who Frame Roger Rabbit?" example. Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny act like Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny in that. If they didn't, fans would be irate. That is where the SSE fails.
*looks at lack of dialogue* And that's the only reason it fails. It's still an epic adventure. Also, remember, being a literal fanfiction as is(or hell, a non-canon fiction, if you will), it should not be exactly like the original games. Never mind that nearly all of them have pretty much little to no personality and Smash can't directly change that, as they would be non-canon if they had a lot more.

Stop using the example of a completely different genre as is. There is no comparison to there. It's the same as trying to compare it to Kingdom Hearts. They are entirely different games. The story is a Kirby-style story. That is what it is. This means little to no dialogue, shallow characters, and tons of GAMEPLAY with less emphasis on story. The only mistakes were making some characters utterly useless(I don't mean the last three, as they do not exist in the story anyway) like Yoshi and Pit. That's it. Everybody else was a shallow, but notable character who did exactly what they would do realistically in the settings. Ganondorf was cold and cunning. Bowser was definitely an annoying villain who attacked a lot... like normal.

I don't see any difference between a character and their original version, to be honest. I actually saw their canon personalities. Likewise, it would make no sense in Smash if they could all talk, etc. Key term being all.

The only issues are gameplay and some of the design. Not their characterization, which was pretty accurate anyway.

These characters acted nothing like they do outside of smash. That is why they are trash in the story.
Maybe because they're toy versions of the characters and AREN'T the real Mario, etc? I mean, you know, it was made pretty darn obvious by the fact that they are completely represented as Plushies and Trophies in-universe. Or the fact that the main boss is... a hand to control them?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In addition to what Hyperfalcon said, characters like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. never had personality from the start due to appearing in classic games. This is where SSE come into play to establish their personality.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

All this talk of Smash being a sumo styled fighter of knocking opponents out of the ring got me thinking. We need a sumo in Smash.

Though, does Nintendo really have any memorable sumos? (OTHER than a Pokemon like Hariyama)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
All this talk of Smash being a sumo styled fighter of knocking opponents out of the ring got me thinking. We need a sumo in Smash.

Though, does Nintendo really have any memorable sumos? (OTHER than a Pokemon like Hariyama)
Sumo Brother aka Fire Sumo from Super Mario World.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Twilight Princess. Link, Gorons, and whatever his face is.

Goron for Sm4sh!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I almost forgot. Sumo Kong from Donkey Kong Jungle Beat!

Link could have some sumo moves incorperated in Smash somehow.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it may be a little late for that... since that was in TP-only. I hope he does sumo stuff again in the newer Zelda games. Did he do any of that in SS?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Calling Tabuu crap despite being actually a pretty good villain for a guy with absolutely no dialogue is silly. He did pretty well.
The story line was awful, but how the story went with him was garbage. It barely mentioned him, it didn't bring up his reasons for what he did. It just merely threw him in the story, and had a boss fight. But for some reason, the story still focused on him more than the established characters we payed to see. That's lame.
No. Story Mode means there's a story. There is definitely an obvious story there. Adventure Mode in Melee HAD NO REAL STORY. Like, at all. It was just basically the same as Classic Mode, or specifically, 64's version. No difference whatsoever.
Well why can't we have a good story that is also an Adventure Mode=??? Again, the SSE is story mode. On the Dojo the SSE is listed as "ADVENTURE MODE!!!" :lol:
I don't see any difference between a character and their original version, to be honest. I actually saw their canon personalities. Likewise, it would make no sense in Smash if they could all talk, etc. Key term being all.
Falco: Acts like a BAMF outside of smash.
Falco in Brawl: Shoots up Bowser like a BAMF. Then does anything again. He just stands there like a tree. Clearly Falco in Brawl is accurate. :glare:
Maybe because they're toy versions of the characters and AREN'T the real Mario, etc? I mean, you know, it was made pretty darn obvious by the fact that they are completely represented as Plushies and Trophies in-universe. Or the fact that the main boss is... a hand to control them?
Well then maybe the character should be listed as "toy Mario" to prevent us from getting hyped then. This is almost as silly as saying Retro Studios made Star Fox. :rotfl:
characters like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. never had personality from the start due to appearing in classic games. This is where SSE come into play to establish their personality.
I don't mind it with them. However, characters with established personalities maybe showcased a little of it, but few stuck like it. Instead, they acted like trees for the rest of the story. Who the hell wants to play a game with a story where everyone is just standing around and doing nothing=??? It's like the opening of Kingdom Hearts II all over again! :mad:

D

Deleted member

If you seriously paid to play SSE, then you're doing it wrong. :troll:

And really, if Falco acts like a BAMF like you noticed, then he's still true to his character.
It's just that he didn't do much (and when you have a large *** cast it's near impossible to make sure everybody is doing their own thing every waking moment without pretty much completely ****ing over the rest of the game or delaying it for even more than it should be) afterwards.
It's not like it was inaccurate; just poor characterization, since the times that Falco actually did ****, he did it within his character.

If you want to talk about inaccurate though, try Wario. Since when did Wario become a bounty hunter (with apparently no money reward) for evil?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Golden
Some people I know did just that Golden. They all sold their Brawl copies back, and then sold their Wii consoles back. Then again, a lot of people I know did that, because of the lack of quality Wii games, and them not liking Brawl in the long run.
I don't see how the two princesses being once again paired up solves the issue of them once again being paired up lol. It's like stereotyped that they be together because princess partners = a must lol. I'd just rather have some variety instead of a predictable duo.
Not really. One got kidnapped, one is trying to get stronger to defeat Ganondorf. Both wind up in Eagleland (from EarthBound). How is that not amazing=??? Seriously, they are going to fight New Age Retro Hippies, Cars, Cavemen, Starmen, Snakes, Dogs, Crows, Angry People, Zombies, and UFOs! If that's not awesome, nothing is! :rotfl:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't think it's fair to say some characters don't have personality. It may not be very DEEP, but every character in Smash has certain qualities or traits you could attribute them.

Also it's kind of funny when people say SSE needed dialogue, because I was under the impression that IN THE FIELD OF ANIMATION, if you can tell a story without any words then you're doing pretty good.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The story line was awful, but how the story went with him was garbage. It barely mentioned him, it didn't bring up his reasons for what he did. It just merely threw him in the story, and had a boss fight. And to make it worse, for some reason Ganondorf, Bowser, etc. were his slaves, instead of acting out of self interest to become all powerful. That's lame.
Yes, the story was kind of bad. But it has nothing to do with "Canon Defilement" at all. It was just written in a shallow way.

Well why can't we have a good story that is also an Adventure Mode=??? Again, the SSE is story mode. On the Dojo the SSE is listed as "ADVENTURE MODE!!!"
Yes, it's an Adventure. But to say it's not a Story Mode... are you serious? It's the only "story" Smash ever had. Atleast one that was legit. It did have characterization. Shallow or not.

Falco: Acts like a BAMF outside of smash.
Falco in Brawl: Shoots up Bowser like a BAMF. Then never acts out again or does anything to show his arrogance. He just plays like a Kirby character.
Clearly that is accurate. :glare:
Clearly he was more than a snarker and "be on your own" or "wow, you kind of suck" in the first place. ...Sounds pretty much like Smash. Not really a "good" example. Either way, once again, why does it matter when most of the characters have no consistent canon to speak of? Mario has none.(there is no official canon, and at best, some games that have connected stories)

Well then maybe the character should be listed as "toy Mario" to prevent us from getting hyped then. This is almost as silly as saying Retro Studios made Star Fox.
I made a mistake one time, apologized, and people still can't stop taking potshots at me about it. No, he'll stay listed as Mario, because in Smash canon(and only Smash), he IS the real Mario. He is not the real Super Mario version of Mario. He's the real Smash Mario. This is just plain nitpicky. They are presented as toys and we all know this if we pay even the slightest bit of attention to details.

I don't mind it with this. However, characters with established personalities maybe showcased a little of it, but few stuck like it. Instead, they acted like trees for the rest of the story. Who the hell wants to play a game with a story where everyone is just standing around and doing nothing=??? Seriously, it's like the opening of Kingdom Hearts II all over again!
Since the game is non-canon, they have to establish their personalities in Smash. Also, none of the original series except perhaps the two third parties had consistent personalities. Maybe, just maybe, StarFox and Donkey Kong. The rest? Widely inconsistent, if they have any personality at all.(Link has one? Nah, he just has emotions)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I don't think it's fair to say some characters don't have personality. It may not be very DEEP, but every character in Smash has certain qualities or traits you could attribute them.

Also it's kind of funny when people say SSE needed dialogue, because I was under the impression that IN THE FIELD OF ANIMATION, if you can tell a story without any words then you're doing pretty good.
SSE though kept me confused a bit at times. (-l^l-);

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yes, the story was kind of bad. But it has nothing to do with "Canon Defilement" at all. It was just written in a shallow way.
Well then write it with the characters' personalities constantly in the game. It's not... that... hard.
Yes, it's an Adventure. But to say it's not a Story Mode... are you serious? It's the only "story" Smash ever had. Atleast one that was legit. It did have characterization. Shallow or not.
I never said it didn't have a good story. I said a bad story. Again, something can be an adventure mode and a story mode-which is kinda what I want!
Clearly he was more than a snarker and "be on your own" or "wow, you kind of suck" in the first place. ...Sounds pretty much like Smash. Not really a "good" example.
Again, Falco was in the story, but disappeared from then on out.
I made a mistake one time, apologized, and people still can't stop taking potshots at me about it
You're right. That was rude of me. I apologize.
No, he'll stay listed as Mario, because in Smash canon(and only Smash), he IS the real Mario. He is not the real Super Mario version of Mario. He's the real Smash Mario. This is just plain nitpicky. They are presented as toys and we all know this if we pay even the slightest bit of attention to details.
Again, I don't mind smash having a story. It is just the characters should be required to always act like they do in the canon. Also, other worlds need to be in smash. Maybe have a central world that is only accessed via warping=???? :shades:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm a bit late to addressing some of these things because my computer keeps failing on me every few seconds. Pertaining to the new pokemon forms... I find myself not caring in the slightest. I'm sick of all of these new legendary forms, I don't even use legendaries outside of the story, and they begin to fill up my six slots if I do use them. Slightly altering their appearance and stats (and a move or two) just isn't interesting either, at the very least it could be done with non-legendary pokemon. The story is always so revolved around legendaries, I'm finally beginning to tire of that. Though Triple Dash mentioning a bunch of previous characters returning does give me some hope that it will be very good nonetheless.

As for Ephraim... he looks really cool and he has a spear. I almost want Roy AND him in. .___. I don't even play these games but the characters just seem beautiful. Makes me wonder if I should at least get this one..

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well then write it with the characters' personalities constantly in the game. It's not... that... hard.
It's harder than you think. Especially when you have almost no personality to start with. Also, this is presuming Sakurai was allowed to give them an entirely unique personality. He may not have the literal right to do that. Yes, he had control over how they fight and all, but not everything. Maybe he did. But since when was he good at this? Clearly, it's hard for him or he just doesn't care. BTW, I don't really care if a fighting game has super awesome personality characters. I care about the gameplay, firstmost. And clearly a lot of people prefer it too. If the gameplay sucks, which it clearly doesn't, a good story CANNOT save terrible gameplay. And i mean terrible, not fairly bad.(See Sonic 2006. The gameplay was bad, but it was not unbeatable or anything like that)

I never said it didn't have a good story. I said a bad story. Again, something can be an adventure mode and a story mode-which is kinda what I want!
...That's just contradictory. If it has a bad story, it's not a good story. What are you even trying to say? Also, it has exactly that anyway. You just don't like how it was done. Nothing wrong with that after all.

Again, Falco was in the story, but disappeared from then on out.
To be honest, he didn't even feel like he was there at all. It was just "Hey, I'm Fox with a different name." the entire time.

You're right. That was rude of me. I apologize.
Apology accepted.

Again, I don't mind smash having a story. It is just the characters should be required to always act like they do in the canon. Also, other worlds need to be in smash. Maybe have a central world that is only accessed via warping=???? :shades:
Um, how can they act like in Canon when they aren't the actual original character? They are legitimate, and in-universe, well, toys/etc. Remember, the only time we see them as canon is in the SSE, and they are clearly trophies during it. Also, I think Sakurai mentions they were specifically different versions anyway during his SSE explanation.

No disagreement on the other part.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Since the game is non-canon, they have to establish their personalities in Smash. Also, none of the original series except perhaps the two third parties had consistent personalities. Maybe, just maybe, StarFox and Donkey Kong. The rest? Widely inconsistent, if they have any personality at all.(Link has one? Nah, he just has emotions)
[COLLAPSE="Here are my thoughts on every character in the SSE:"]Mario is the atypical hero. Sakurai did right by him.
Luigi was made too cowardly, but not funny enough. He also didn't act consistently.
Bowser is menacing. That was accurate. However, I didn't like him being a slave.
Peach... kinda disappeared into the shadows too often. But her personality was constant, and well-done.
Donkey Kong: Fitting, but fades into the background after a while.
Diddy Kong: Acts a lot like a monkey, but rarely like the cool dude he was back in the Super Nintendo days. He wasn't good. He wasn't terrible. He was okay.
Link: Goes off on a random adventure for no reason, and seems to have no clear set goal. Still, his personality works.
Zelda (and Sheik): Acts too much like Peach. Also, Sheik's appearance was random, and probably out of place.
Ganondorf: Fits somewhat like his character, except he was afraid to fight.
Toon Link: Unused, which was garbage.
Samus/ZSS: The motivation was there, but the character... kinda disappeared. However, I loved the Samus-Ridley rivalry. I think it was the best rivalry in the story, actually.
Yoshi: Had no purpose at all.
Kirby: The end of his story seemed like a lame way to use his powers. Still, he seemed accurate.
Meta Knight: Accurate, but I would have liked to see him beforehand. I mean, he was the plot.
King Dedede: Sakurai made him, voice him, and wrote the story with him in mind. So he was accurate.
Fox: After the first two scenes, he was just another bland character.
Falco: Awesome intro. After that, he sucked, did nothing, and wasn't Falco.
Wolf: Lame appearance afterwards.
Pikachu: Kinda just a plot device for Samus' story line.
Jigglypuff: Didn't matter in the story.
Lucario: Did some cool stuff initially, but disappeared soon after. So, he was okay.
The Pokémon Trainer: The only thing I remember him doing was catching the Pokémon. And even for that, Ivysaur felt like a poor add-on. Charizard felt properly placed.
Captain Falcon: Did one Falcon Punch, and the did nothing awesome ever again... except for calling his Falcon Flyer.
Ness: Cool intro. That's about it.
Lucas: Was emo the whole time. I don't mind him emo, but tone it down man.
the Ice Climbers: Were a plot device.
Mr. Game and Watch: Funny and well-used for their role.
Marth: Cool intro. After that, he did nothing.
Ike: Did nothing. Awfully used.
Pit: Cool introduction, and stayed relevant for a while. However, like most characters, he eventually became a background character for the latter half of the story.
Wario: Funny throughout, but I don't seem to understand his goals entirely. I hate to nitpick, but he was way too based off Wario Ware for my likings.
Olimar: Did nothing ever. Poorly used, aside from the first scene.
R.O.B.: I hated him being the Ancient Minister. After that, he really was just... "there" despite being one of the 2 main playable characters (the other being Meta Knight).
Snake: Had two funny scenes involving hiding in a box. Seriously, aside from hiding in a box, he did nothing in the story.
Sonic: Was a poorly done late add-on to the story. Seriously, that was a lame way to "weaken" Tabuu. Terrible story-telling methods by Sakurai.[/COLLAPSE]

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
It's too bad that they got farther from the "a kid makes his toys fight"
What would be even better,is back when we suggested Nester,we could dicover that Nester is behind all of this(only in the real world,but in the smash one it's master hand 'n' sh*t,Nester behind the smash world would screw it)
But didn't masterhand die in brawl?i hope they find a reason to bring him back to life.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
There are too many characters to expect good representation of all of them, and to expect a good story for them especially since this is a fighting game and the multiplayer is what gets the focus. This is only going to be increased since the roster is going to be increased. We shouldn't have a deep interesting story at all in Smash Brothers Wii U. That is more fit for a separate game that, well, actually focuses on making an in-depth story. I personally feel as if the 3DS version is a solo mode story that is built to have your characters play through and have RPG elements, and the characters you play with can be put up in the Wii U and show off what you have accomplished. With the 3DS you could have them all talk, just as text bubbles that you can read. It doesn't have to be this giant shallow adventure where a lot of the characters fade in and out.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But what is interesting about Mario himself that is worth giving a real personality to? Nothing. The reason the Mario games are good is because the gameplay is top-notch or atleast good. There are possible exceptions, but those are pretty subjective.

But remember, if Sakurai could give them more personality, wouldn't Mario be just a bit more than that? He has had personalities throughout various media. Same as everybody but a select few. No, wait, not really. Whether it's a fan interpretation(which, btw, Smash Bros. is, factually, since the original owners did not write for it) or not, there is more than one way to do it.

I actually think Mario's personality is absolute crap. On the other hand, a lot of the other characters have a lot more than he does. He's really really bland. When a filler only character has more than the main hero himself, I see something wrong.

Alternatively, Nintendo and Sakurai are just crap at personalities anyway.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Hyper
Sakurai made some good characters in Uprising. Maybe he needs to try dialogue, and get some people from the companies that make the series that are represented in smash as playable character/bosses/story mode characters to help Sakurai craft them in the story.
It's harder than you think. Especially when you have almost no personality to start with. Also, this is presuming Sakurai was allowed to give them an entirely unique personality. He may not have the literal right to do that. Yes, he had control over how they fight and all, but not everything. Maybe he did. But since when was he good at this? Clearly, it's hard for him or he just doesn't care.
That's why I'm withholding blame towards Sakurai, and am directing it at Nintendo. It's not Sakurai's fault he can't make 39 characters mesh together. It's the studio that gave him and only him the tools to make it work with a rookie fighting game staff.

Also, I don't mind Sakurai being unsure what to do with characters with no personality. But with characters like Captain Falcon, Snake, and Falco who are filled with bad assidry, they should just be awesome all the time.
BTW, I don't really care if a fighting game has super awesome personality characters. I care about the gameplay, firstmost. And clearly a lot of people prefer it too. If the gameplay sucks, which it clearly doesn't, a good story CANNOT save terrible gameplay. And i mean terrible, not fairly bad.(See Sonic 2006. The gameplay was bad, but it was not unbeatable or anything like that)
I just want the characters personified properly story-wise. But still, you are right. The game play comes first. If the game took place in the actual universes/several locations from the universes of Nintendo (and Sonic and Metal Gear), it would have been much better. The bosses also should have come from there, too. The original bosses, save for Tabuu and the Hands, were dumb. Last but not least, Sakurai should take cues from other 2D games as to how to make some boss fights.
...That's just contradictory. If it has a bad story, it's not a good story. What are you even trying to say? Also, it has exactly that anyway. You just don't like how it was done. Nothing wrong with that after all.
Sorry, I meant to say "I never said it had a story. I said it had a bad story." I don't know why I inserted the world "good" in there. :facepalm:
To be honest, he didn't even feel like he was there at all. It was just "Hey, I'm Fox with a different name." the entire time.
That's my problem with the story, and you agree with me. :awesome: Seriously, make Falco act like Falco in the story, and we're good. He acted like Falco in the multiplayer perfectly. Heck, Sakurai even gave Falco some bread to defend! :smirk:
Um, how can they act like in Canon when they aren't the actual original character? They are legitimate, and in-universe, well, toys/etc. Remember, the only time we see them as canon is in the SSE, and they are clearly trophies during it. Also, I think Sakurai mentions they were specifically different versions anyway during his SSE explanation.
Just give them their base personalities from their games. That is all. That was done in the multiplayer very convincingly. We aren't having this debate about the multiplayer incarnations of playable smash characters, after all. I don't want every character with a great personality to just sit in the back and do nothing. If I wanted that, I'd play Halo.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
LMAO August. That is what all meme abusers should get on tests.

Also, the Masked Man (as in Claus) would be a great boss. :ness:

The Masked Marth would be a great alternate outfit for Marth (as long as it's designed with Marth under it). :bee:

Ghirahim would make a great alternate appearance for a sandbag! :awesome:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
LMAO August. That is what all meme abusers should get on tests.

Also, the Masked Man (as in Claus) would be a great boss. :ness:

The Masked Marth would be a great alternate outfit for Marth (as long as it's designed with Marth under it). :bee:

Ghirahim would make a great alternate appearance for a sandbag! :awesome:

I'm sorry, I just had to! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom