• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm the Strangest in the whole world.

But you see, I Said Toise Said something he didn't Said. So I Said I should feel embarrassed.

I can't wait until I get my hands on that volcano arm.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Do you think representation will be a problem in Smash 4? I'm having this theory that the brawl roster already is a great representation of nintendo. Maybe Sakurai will focus more on the retro/new franchises (Like what he said) or add the characters fans we're blabbering about. What do you think?

Edit: The only characters missing in the roster are Ridley and K. Rool. Other than that, it's pretty complete. Of course, we'll expect a newcomer from the pokemon and fire emblem series.
Short answer: No, representation will be -- and generally will always be -- fine.

Under-representation (lack of characters for Series X) is an inevitability because there's always a limit, so try to enjoy what we DO get. Over-representation or misrepresentation (wrong characters getting in) is a slight concern but really nothing to worry about post-Melee.

D

Deleted member

I love how there was a "time out from fatties", yet the "time in" never came. :laugh:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Master Quest and the OOT 3DS are not ports, sorry.

They're remakes at best. A port has no real differences beyond glitches or graphics changed. Or various music.

The original OOT had 3 versions, all fixing up some various differences. They technically are the same as ports.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't call him a one off really as Gdorf HAS appeared before, just not in a humanoid way. More like piggynoid.

Ice Climbers are strictly retro. Much like Takamaru, he's suggested a lot to. Though personally, I wouldn't exactly MIND Smash without the Climbers (if they bring us a suitable replacement).

Sheik's still on a different league to the rest of the cast, in a bad way. Not that her MELEE inclusion was a bad one, no, but it should've been her only one.

In my HUMBLE PERSONAL OPINION of coarse. :reverse:

:phone:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I agree wit Toise.

People will always cry under or over representation as some series might get four characters while others might only have two. It's inevitable that once the SSB4 roster is out, people will think the series are once again unbalanced. Even though, as representation goes, I agree with berserker, only Metroid and DK are needed.

@Hyper
Sorry, I did mean he was a one-off in Melee, not in general. My bad, didn't say it well. :embarrass:

edit:
@ Diddy
Technically Takamaru isn't a one-off though. He appeared in Captain Rainbow and Samurai Warriors 3.

Short answer: No, representation will be -- and generally will always be -- fine

Under-representation (lack of characters for Series X) is an inevitability because there's always a limit, so try to enjoy what we DO get. Over-representation or misrepresentation (wrong characters getting in) is a slight concern but really nothing to worry about post-Melee.
Thanks for sharing your opinion Toise *Bows*

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Donkey Kong, Metroid and Fire Emblem in my opinion need two newcomers.

Smash would just be THAT more awesome if we had Dixie, K.Rool, MANthony Higgs, Ridley, Krom and Hector Roy playable.

Though I'm willing to guess the 'Big 3' of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon could easily get 2 newcomers as well.

Post Melee the biggest mistake was re-adding Sheik and not Mewtwo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would be surprised if Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon got two newcomers. (Counting Mewtwo as a veteran)
edit: Unless you mean in total, and not each series, in which case I agree.

I would even be more surprised if the second hypothetical Metroid rep was Anthony.
Hell, I'd be surprised if Metroid got more than one new rep.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, with Mario I could expect Toad, and maybe a Luigified clone as Bowser Jr. Or a full clone as Dr.Mario.

With Zelda I could see 2 new characters for the cost of two veterans (trading Toon Link and Sheik for Ghirahim and Impa).

Pokemon might get a cut as well. And not everyone counts Mewtwo. In this case I do count him though.

Any Metroid newcomer would please and surprise me and Anthony is just a strong personal choice.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Tis fine, N3ONK1D. We meant the same thing, then. :)

...Toon Link will either be replaced by Young Link, or not cut at all. Don't bother even suggesting it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think I'm unique in that I really don't care if we see Toad, Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, Geno, or Waluigi, I think they would all work well, I just want to see a new Mario rep. The more the merrier, though I don't find more than one newcomer likely. Wouldn't want to see the Doc as anything more than an alternate outfit though.

Like Hyper said, Toon Link will only be replaced by Young Link, and even that's not very likely. He's not going to be removed in favor of a one-off villain. (As fabulous as he might be :awesome:)
I really don't have much new to say about Impa vs. Sheik.

I think the general consensus over Pokemon is Mewtwo and a rep of the newest gen are the most likely to get in, which could be counted as two additions. Personally I think that Lucario could very likely be cut, but only due to a lack of time. I also think he's one of the most likely to show up if there's DLC.

Any Metroid newcomer other than Ridley would make me upset it wasn't Ridley. :laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't care much about Mario either, safe for Toad. And I don't want Dr.Mario either, but that Forbidden Seven stuff might work in his favour.

As for Zelda, I don't expect Ghirahim either, but IF we get 2 new Zelda characters, no doubt it'll be him and Impa.

Anthony is awesome though.

D

Deleted member

From what I see:
Mario-Can stay as is.
Donkey Kong-2; Dixie and K. Rool. Though it could end up with just 1; Dixie.
Zelda-Can stay as is.
Metroid-Needs only one; Ridley. Anyone else is superfluous.
Yoshi-Can stay as is.
Kirby-Can stay as is.
StarFox-Can stay as is.
Pokemon-Mewtwo needs to return. A 5th Gen should probably come in too, but Mewtwo takes priority.
F-Zero-Goroh without a doubt.
Mother-FLINT. But seriously, can stay as is, even if Flint's a badass.
Fire Emblem-Bring back Roy. We don't need Krom, but he'll probably come anyway as either Ike's Expy or a semi-clone.
Kid Icarus-Palutena. Wish I could say Magnus, but no.
Wario-Can stay as is.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think it's safe to say it would without doubt be Ghirahim and Impa when this scary ******* is around.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Only Zelda character I see likely is Tingle. Maybe Ghirahim. Possibly Young Link and Toon Ganondorf.

There's also a legitimate chance of Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik.

Impa is the least likely, to say the least.

D

Deleted member

It should be safe to say that Mewtwo will Return and he will Strike Back.

:troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I meant Mewtwo was too badass to only have one movie about him, so they made two for him.

Lol, I have to explain my jokes more than I like, makes me think I should improve my joke telling. :laugh:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You're right Golden, I should listen to what the Joker says more. He is my role model, after all. :awesome:

And my past 4 Halloween costumes

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Each Halloween I keep saying that I need to make a Solid Snake outfit and be Solid Snake for Halloween, but I never do it. :ohwell:
I've also tried to convince my father (the giant ginger) to try to be the Riddler! :rotfl:
[COLLAPSE="From what I see:"]Mario-Can stay as is.
Donkey Kong-2; Dixie and K. Rool. Though it could end up with just 1; Dixie.
Zelda-Can stay as is.
Metroid-Needs only one; Ridley. Anyone else is superfluous.
Yoshi-Can stay as is.
Kirby-Can stay as is.
StarFox-Can stay as is.
Pokemon-Mewtwo needs to return. A 5th Gen should probably come in too, but Mewtwo takes priority.
F-Zero-Goroh without a doubt.
Mother-FLINT. But seriously, can stay as is, even if Flint's a badass.
Fire Emblem-Bring back Roy. We don't need Krom, but he'll probably come anyway as either Ike's Expy or a semi-clone.
Kid Icarus-Palutena. Wish I could say Magnus, but no.
Wario-Can stay as is.[/COLLAPSE]
Agreed. Except Goroh isn't really "needed" in my opinion, as much as I like him. Rather, he would be a great addition. As for Fire Emblem, Roy and/or Krom, instead of just Roy should be listed as "needed" (along with Marth and Ike of course). :bee:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Remember to use the cardboard box to sneak more candy. ;)

I had a Hatsune Miku outfit lined up last Halloween, but ended up going as the Joker again. lol
edit: I'm a girl, so it wouldn't be weird dressing as Hatsune Miku, lol.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm plenty stealthy without my a box. Still, I got that Snake voice down somewhat. I got to get used to saying more words in my Snake voice. :bee:
I agree wit Toise.

People will always cry under or over representation as some series might get four characters while others might only have two. It's inevitable that once the SSB4 roster is out, people will think the series are once again unbalanced. Even though, as representation goes, I agree with berserker, only Metroid and DK are needed.
And Pokémon. But agreed. Toise... man, great point. However, I don't usually notice such things as what people feel smash "needs," because I see their "needs" as want. On the most basic level, all future Smash Bros. games "need" is to come out in order to exist.

On a more complex level, I think the only characters you could argue smash "needs" are:
  1. The characters that are the most demanded. This is done in order to assure that the current customers will remain customers and buy the next smash game(s).
  2. Add characters that would help grow the customer size. This is done to get new customers.
  3. Add characters that would raise the value to the franchise.
  4. Add characters that would create (positive) hype hype for future Smash entries (as a newcomer or even a veteran).
  5. Add characters with a lot of originality. I mean c'mon, who wasn't intrigued by Fox, Snake, or the Pokémon Trainer=??? That intrigue makes people interested.
  6. Add any character (or really anything) that makes people want to play the game enough to buy it or consider buying it. At least about half of the newcomers should do this.

In my opinion those such characters are Dixie Kong and/or King K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, a 5th Generation Pokémon, Roy, Krom, and Mega Man.

Pac-Man and Tails could (the key word is could, especially with Tails) also do similar things, but they don't fit all of the criteria (specifically the 1st point).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Stop silling Smash short like it needs, or HAS to have third parties John, it makes you look silly, and Megaman look like his fans are ********.

Also, would everyone be happy if:

Mario - 1
Wario/Yoshi - 1
Donkey Kong -1 / 2
LoZ - 1
Kirby - 1
Pokemon - 1 / 2
StarFox - 1
Metroid - 1
F-Zero - 1
Fire Emblem - 1
Kid Icarus - 1
Mother - 1
New Franchises - 2 / 3

Would this make everyone happy?

And only two of the three upgradable franchises are allowed to have an extra character. I personally would rather see minimal new franchises, and the expansion of existing ones. PERSONALLY, I don't care for almost any franchises that havent been added. (Exceptions of course would be Punch Out!!, Xenoblade, and TLS)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Personally I would take the Wario/Yoshi, Kirby, and Mother rep spot and add it to the New Franchises spot, so it would be around 5/6. That seems a little high, but with retro, unexpected obscure choice, and 3rd Party it would fill up fine, and it's about how many new franchises Brawl had too.

Just my opinion though.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Stop silling Smash short like it needs, or HAS to have third parties John, it makes you look silly, and Megaman look like his fans are ********.
Technically we don't even "need" Mario. Mega Man historically is a lot more important to Nintendo than just about all the characters we are mentioning as potential new playable characters in smash. Nintendo needs to give something good to its' 3rd party developers to keep their support with quality games. I can't think of even half a dozen quality 3rd party games that are exclusive to the Wii. Given how much money Nintendo has lost off that, they need to do that, or else they'll get Sega'd in the next 20 years.

Adding new and diverse characters from different series (and companies) makes a lot more sense than your theory of mostly just adding characters from series with their established main characters already in. This is especially true since the characters you bring up have questionable popularity, merit, and uniqueness to warrant being playable. People don't clamor for characters like all the potential Mario newcomer characters we've listed anywhere near as much as people have to smash newcomers so far. Quite frankly, nobody would buy the game for those characters, unless they were made into incredibly unique characters. Bowser and Peach, though, probably made people run to buy Melee.

Seriously shorts, you need to stop thinking of just us here speculators and think of the general public at large. It's like your thoughts (in this post) of what Nintendo should do is all based on this little super dedicated fan base sample size instead of the largely casual gaming and non-gaming public at large that is also a part of the target audience.

Just list reasons why the very large casual gaming audience that doesn't already play smash would suddenly be interested in smash with merely a new Mario/Zelda/Yoshi/Kirby/Star Fox/F-Zero/Kid Icarus/Wario character despite the current roster of characters from those series (most of which have multiple characters playable in smash already).

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
Besides popularity I would like if every series had 4 characters, which allows those IP matches. Match with Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Peach on some Mario stage is epic. Because Wario and Yoshi are strongly releated to Mario I count these 2 as alternatives for Luigi/Bowser/Peach, so I don't think Wario or Yoshi need companions. Though I would like to see Waluigi allowing Mario&Luigi vs Wario&Waluigi match. Toad could be cool as a way to have Super Mario Bros 2 battle, but the others from Bowser Jr, Paper Mario and so on aren't as good, you can use multiple Bowsers and think they're different because some Bowsers look alike (especially SMB1).

So I agree DK could add Dixie and K. Rool, which would make a match of 4.

I'm not particularly fond of Krystal, but she could be the 4th Star Fox character. Although I'd prefer Slippy Toad.

Metroid really only has Ridley, unless we start to add Other M characters. I wouldn't mind if Anthony Higgs got it, first black character ever. Zero Suit can't really be counted either so I would propose another rival bounty hunter such as Rundas or Ghor.

Zelda has 4 but Toon versions don't count IMO. Though because of the limited slots to add I would accept keeping the current ones. I would like to see Ghirahim though (Tingle is just too weird)

Kirby already has 3 so they could add 4th. I don't have much preference.

Pokemon already has 4, though I would like to see more equal categorizing. Pikachu/Jigglypuff/Lucario/Pokemon Trainer is very unequal and goofy looking match. I wish there were 4 low-levels (Pikachu-Jigglypuff-Meowth and ?), 4 high-levels (Mewtwo-Lucario-? and ?) and add atleast 2nd "Pokemon Trainer" who uses 3 pokemon (I'd like Team Rocket). On the other hand I don't want Pokemon getting too many slots, so a compromise is needed.

Fire Emblem is already close to 4, although it's not quite as big series. It could grow at 4.

The other series are smaller mostly with 1-2 characters at this point, struggling to get bigger. But even they can be categorized.

So going with all star logic I hope the roster would be:
Mario Match:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser (Yoshi, Wario, Waluigi, Toad)
Donkey Kong Match:
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool
Star Fox Match:
Fox, Falco, Krystal, Wolf
Metroid Match:
Samus, Anthony Higgs, Rundas, Ridley
Legend of Zelda Match:
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Ghirahim
Kirby Match
Kirby, Ribbon, Meta Knight, King Dedede
Pokemon Match:
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Meowth, Pokemon Trainer (Mewtwo, Team Rocket)

Fire Emblem Match:
Marth, Roy, Ike, Black Knight
Snes Match:
Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh, Ness, Lucas (Little Mac, King Hippo)
Retro Match:
Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt Dog, Mr. Game&Watch, R.O.B
3rd Party Nintendo:
Simon Belmont, Megaman, Ryu Hayabusa, Pacman (Sonic, Bomberman)
Misc. Match:
Olimar, Pit, Palutena, Isaac

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Only Zelda character I see likely is Tingle. Maybe Ghirahim. Possibly Young Link and Toon Ganondorf.

There's also a legitimate chance of Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik.

Impa is the least likely, to say the least.
Do you really think with Impa around (especially with the celshaded graphics of SS) that they'd opt to use Toon Zelda / non existant Toon Sheik if they also could make Impa a clone if they'd have to?

I don't think MegaMan is really to important. To American fans maybe yeah, but not on an international base. Though it could work if Japan wants him to, as EarthBound never reached Europe either for example.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Donkey Kong series - add Dixie Kong and King K. Rool, add Kiddy Kong as Dixie's tag team partner if they still have time, add Donkey Kong Jr. if they have plenty of time. ;)

Fire Emblem series - add Krom, add Ike and Roy if they still have time.

Kid Icarus series - add Palutena and Medusa, add Magnus if they still have time. :awesome:

Kirby series - add Waddle Dee if they have plenty of time.

Mario series - add Toad, add Bowser Jr. if they still have time, make Bowser Jr. not a clone of Bowser if they have plenty of time.

Metroid series - add Ridley if they decide to put their efforts to it.

Pokemon series - add Team Rocket (Meowth & Arbok team and Meowth & Weezing team) and Zoroark, add Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, and Lucario if they still have time.

Punch-Out!! series - add Little Mac, add King Hippo if they still have time.

Star Fox series - add Krystal if they still have time, make Krystal not a Fox clone if they have plenty of time.

Zelda series - add Masked Link (Deku Link, Goron Link, and Zora Link), add Tingle if they still have time, separate Zelda and Sheik and replace Sheik with Impa if they have plenty of time.

Retro franchises - add Takamaru and Duck Hunt Dog, add Sukapon if Sakurai changed his mind and there is still time, add Muddy Mole if they have plenty of time

New franchises - add Mii and Shulk, add Starfy, Isaac (or Matthew), and Saki (or Isa) if they have plenty of time.

Third Party franchises - add Mega Man, add Pac-Man if Nintendo and Namco agree to add him, add Slime or a Chocobo & Slime team if Nintendo and Square Enix agree to add him or them, add Simon Belmont if my dream comes true. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
THE NEW GUY LIKES ANTHONY TO! WHOOO! :awesome:

Also, the new Brawl tier list is up guys.

Nerf Olimar in Sm4sh lololol (which I think will happen anyway)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Kamek would be a cool AT

Yeah I can see that happening. When summoned, he'll cast spells, which can damage opponents. If any of them come into contact with any items, however, they'll turn the items into Goombas or Koopa Troopas.

He'd be more cool playable.

We need a real spellcaster in Smash. Not what is basically a Monk(Zelda, Ganondorf, Peach, and technically Captain Falcon. Some others may apply) instead.
Frankly, I really don't see Yoshi's series getting more than one rep. Rosalina would probably be a better spellcaster type of character to consider.

Like Rosalina? She can do magic.;)
Well, if Zelda could be made to be playable, then Rosalina shouldn't be too different.

D

Deleted member

No character needs to be in. There are no specific character exclusion that would keep me from buying the game as all the necessary characters were added in Brawl.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Been playing with my 3DS lately.... I actually would love to see Ketzal's Corridors as a stage. This and Pushmo Park and Swapnote (as the spiritual successor to PictoChat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom