• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously shorts, you need to stop thinking of just us here speculators and think of the general public at large. It's like your thoughts (in this post) of what Nintendo should do is all based on this little super dedicated fan base sample size instead of the largely casual gaming and non-gaming public at large that is also a part of the target audience.
Isn't Smash Nintendo All-Stars?

Well.... Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale has All-Star written on the title yet, they still are gonna have 3rd party content but..... The 3rd party character might become the main spotlight instead of the nintendo cast. Look what happened to Snake. Lots of people pay attention to him instead of the cast of nintendo (And also Sonic).

In fact, this game was only meant for nintendo and nintendo only. Sakurai is just kind enough to let only like a few 3rd parties in the game.

The non-gaming public has no idea about who's this or who's that (If that's your definition). Maybe they know Mario or Sonic or Link but not well enough. Megaman is not an exception in this case. Basically, the gameplay and accessibility of the game will have to take care of the casual-gamers and the non-gamers. The characters are purely fan service for the nintendo fans and maybe some fans outside nintendo if there is gonna be a 3rd party

These surprisingly numerous amount of words don't matter UNLESS you were also talking about new franchises such as Xenoblade or TLS. If you were talking about them then ignore the many words above. Lol.

But.... There's one slight problem. The only possible new franchise/retro franchise characters are....

Shulk
Saki
Isaac
Little Mac
Takamaru

Only 6 candidates are possible but it's not like all of them somehow will get in..... Maybe they'll all be in the game. I don't know. The present franchises will inevitably get newcomers anyway. Like maybe 8 - 13 newcomers. Sakurai said that he would SLIGHTLY give more focus on the retro/new franchises. Doesn't mean that he'll ignore the present franchises.

-------------
Adding new and diverse characters from different series (and companies) makes a lot more sense than your theory of mostly just adding characters from series with their established main characters already in. This is especially true since the characters you bring up have questionable popularity, merit, and uniqueness to warrant being playable. People don't clamor for characters like all the potential Mario newcomer characters we've listed anywhere near as much as people have to smash newcomers so far. Quite frankly, nobody would buy the game for those characters, unless they were made into incredibly unique characters. Bowser and Peach, though, probably made people run to buy Melee.
So yes, there would be fans that would buy the game for a certain nintendo character inevitably. Most notably, Toad since his fanbase in and out of Japan is huge (Not comparable to the current characters but hey, you can say the same to 3/4 of the so called potential newcomers).

It also doesn't matter whether the mario newcomer is unique or not. Sonic was boring as **** yet a lot of fans bought smash bros. brawl just because of Sonic.

Okay. Even though Toad's smash fanbase (Smash fanbase - The fans who want this certain character to be in smash) isn't really as active as his normal fanbase (Normal fanbase - Like the character. Period), both fanbases would still buy the game just for the character or maybe other characters for obvious reasons unless they dislike Smash or something.

Note that this also applies for the other present franchises that could possibly or most... "Likely" get newcomers.

And also, you should read what Shorts said.
I personally would rather see minimal new franchises, and the expansion of existing ones. PERSONALLY, I don't care for almost any franchises that havent been added. (Exceptions of course would be Punch Out!!, Xenoblade, and TLS)
He's not saying that nintendo shouldn't give a little more focus to the new franchises/old franchises. He's just sharing his personal opinion. No need to get so hooked up about it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's interesting how most of the new character movesets added in the different iterations of SF4 (save Abel) seem like, how due to their comparably more eccentric movesets, would transfer fairly well to Smash. Off the top of my head I can think of moves C. Viper, El Fuerte, Rufus, Juri, and even Hakan do that would also work well in Smash. (I haven't played as Oni yet).

Good moveset also. I haven't played alot of KoF, but after re-acquainting myself with some of the characters, it seems to make pretty good sense.

And I might be missing something, but how are Peach and Captain Falcon monks?
I agree. The SF4 characters are rather eccentric compared to the previous games save for Abel since he's rather "standard", and I think he was even the first SF4 newcomer revealed before the initial arcade release. Even Seth would transfer well. I don't know if you've seen this, but berserker and I worked on an El Fuerte-esque moveset for Toad that was based on his earlier games like SMB2, Wario's Woods, and Mario Kart. Adding in left-right blocking would make it even easier to transfer over.

And speaking of monks, Ganondorf, if he's never getting his swords, he should fight somewhat like Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kamek (unfortunately) screams AT to me to. I'd like him playable, but he doesn't seem to be too important to the series anymore, safe for Yoshi's Island, which didn't have a game in a long time. Also, I consider Yoshi to be a Mario character actually.

I agree. The SF4 characters are rather eccentric compared to the previous games save for Abel since he's rather "standard", and I think he was even the first SF4 newcomer revealed before the initial arcade release. Even Seth would transfer well. I don't know if you've seen this, but berserker and I worked on an El Fuerte-esque moveset for Toad that was based on his earlier games like SMB2, Wario's Woods, and Mario Kart. Adding in left-right blocking would make it even easier to transfer over.

And speaking of monks, Ganondorf, if he's never getting his swords, he should fight somewhat like Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist.
How's this for a playstyle description for Toad?
Propeller Toad said:
Toad would be a very effective hit and run type character. He hits hard; however, he is very fragile and can be defeated easily if not trained properly. He can also do some extremely confusing mix ups with his attack and foot speed. We have very few lightweight characters in Smash who are both speedy and power, so I believe Toad would be a great character who can make as a superior Pichu from Melee. Toad will not hurt himself; however, he will make a combination of Pichu's slightly stronger moves and speed into gameplay. Toad can introduce many new concepts into Smash as well. I believe Toad can introduce mid-air grabs and throws into Smash as he is known for picking up, carrying, and throwing objects and enemies in the three notable games he has been playable in (SMB2, NSMB Wii, WW).
Underlined text was my doing. The rest are propeller's.

I think Ganondorf would be better described as Akuma with Sentinel-like attack speed (Quite slow). I think he could potentially be the slow jack of all trades of the game since he could potentially have a projectile like Dead Man's Volley or maybe good mobility since he can fly. I don't know. It sounds interesting.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Honestly, charaters like Scar, Heihachi, and Makoto (SF) with some Akuma seem most suitable for him.

And I'm rather tired of people suggesting energy ball tennis.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Seriously shorts, you need to stop thinking of just us here speculators and think of the general public at large. It's like your thoughts (in this post) of what Nintendo should do is all based on this little super dedicated fan base sample size instead of the largely casual gaming and non-gaming public at large that is also a part of the target audience..
Nintendo characters I suspect not only the little sample-sized dedicated fanbase but also the casual gaming and non-gaming public at large might enjoy:

- Dixie Kong (a popular playable character from the classic Donkey Kong Country games and a prominent role in the Donkey Kong Country cartoon in the late 1990's)
- Hunting Dog (several Duck Hunt parodies and references in American pop culture, usually involving the dog, thanks in part to Duck Hunt being bundled with the NES when the NES first hit the American gaming market and pretty much everyone wants to shoot the dog)
- King Hippo (same reasons as Little Mac's plus his prominent role in the Captain N cartoon in the late 1980's and the promotional Heavyweight Contender Kit)
- King K. Rool (the villain of the classic Donkey Kong Country games and had a main role in the Donkey Kong Country cartoon in the late 1990's)
- Krom (he is the main protagonist of the latest Fire Emblem game and it is currently selling very good)
- Little Mac (because of how popular Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! was during the NES years and Punch-Out!! Wii games)
- Meowth (because of how prominent Meowth is in the Pokemon anime regardless of its role in the games)
- Mewtwo (Pokemon: The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back)
- Mii (it is Mii, nuff said)
- Palutena (because of how prominent she was in Kid Icarus: Uprising regardless of the player's gaming skills)
- Shulk (because of Operation: Rainfall, Xenoblade Chronicles became the first Operation: Rainfall game to leave Japan)
- Toad (because of Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, plus how ubiquitous Toads are in the Mario games in general and his prominent role in the Mario cartoons in the late 1980's)
- Zoroark (Pokemon: Zoroark: Master of Illusions)

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Nintendo characters I suspect not only the little sample-sized dedicated fanbase but also the casual gaming and non-gaming public at large might enjoy:

- Dixie Kong (a popular playable character from the classic Donkey Kong Country games and a prominent role in the Donkey Kong Country cartoon in the late 1990's)
- Hunting Dog (several Duck Hunt parodies and references in American pop culture, usually involving the dog, thanks in part to Duck Hunt being bundled with the NES when the NES first hit the American gaming market and pretty much everyone wants to shoot the dog)
- King Hippo (same reasons as Little Mac's plus his prominent role in the Captain N cartoon in the late 1980's and the promotional Heavyweight Contender Kit)
- King K. Rool (the villain of the classic Donkey Kong Country games and had a main role in the Donkey Kong Country cartoon in the late 1990's)
- Krom (he is the main protagonist of the latest Fire Emblem game and it is currently selling very good)
- Little Mac (because of how popular Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! was during the NES years and Punch-Out!! Wii games)
- Meowth (because of how prominent Meowth is in the Pokemon anime regardless of its role in the games)
- Mewtwo (Pokemon: The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back)
- Mii (it is Mii, nuff said)
- Palutena (because of how prominent she was in Kid Icarus: Uprising regardless of the player's gaming skills)
- Shulk (because of Operation: Rainfall, Xenoblade Chronicles became the first Operation: Rainfall game to leave Japan)
- Toad (because of Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, plus how ubiquitous Toads are in the Mario games in general and his prominent role in the Mario cartoons in the late 1980's)
- Zoroark (Pokemon: Zoroark: Master of Illusions)
-Bopswer Jr.(because he's the FRIGGIN' SON OF BOWSER!!!)

Nintendo characters I suspect not only the little sample-sized dedicated fanbase but also the casual gaming and non-gaming public at large might enjoy
I think I took the meaning of causual gaming and non-gaming public literally....

Either way, Arca is right about the following below that the casual and non-gaming public would know but that wouldn't answer this question:

"Do they want the characters in?"

Just because they know the character, doesn't mean they want the character to be in the game which makes the character one of the reasons why they should buy the game.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Someone here mentioned Ribbon as a playable character.

How?
All she did was hold Kirby and guide him. That's like adding in the bird from Mutant Mudds. Also, I purchased that game. Haven't seen something like that since my twenties.

The year 69 was my year. :)

-Bopswer Jr.(because he's the FRIGGIN' SON OF BOWSER!!!)
I, with all honesty, think that Jr. does not fall under the popular category. If you see the merchandises of nintendo and even the covers of each game, you won't see Bowser Jr as much as the characters listed above. That's what I've seen when I go around and buy official nintendo merchandises like Mario toys and all that (Not video games).

Not saying that he's not likely or anything (If that word even existed). Popularity isn't the reason why Jr. is one of the "likely" candidates of Smash. It's because his fan support is great......... Not sure if I'm right about Jr being likely. I mean, he's an antagonist but his role is equal to the koopalings (Mini boss). Still, being an antagonist sure is a big role. His support from what I observed isn't as active as how it was in brawl..... I'm lost. Lol.

If this is sarcasm then, ****. I'm gonna hammer myself :c
Someone here mentioned Ribbon as a playable character.

How?
All she did was hold Kirby and guide him. That's like adding in the bird from Mutant Mudds. Also, I purchased that game. Haven't seen something like that since my twenties.
Nothing to be worked up about since we all know that she's not as known or as liked as Bandana Dee or Gooey (Who are both not so likely).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Bowser Jr. is pretty much not a good idea. I would love to see what his paintbrush could bring, but that's seriously all he has going for him. Same thing with Krystal and her staff. They're bad choices, who would play really interestingly if they were added. But that's not quite enough to MAKE IT.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Bowser Jr. is pretty much not a good idea. I would love to see what his paintbrush could bring, but that's seriously all he has going for him. Same thing with Krystal and her staff. They're bad choices, who would play really interestingly if they were added. But that's not quite enough to MAKE IT.
People want Lip in Smash because of what she could bring with the Lip's Stick but we only got the stick. So why not just have the paintbrush as an item as well?

vicgur

Smash Ace
Well, at least he is a better choice than lame, generic Toad.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Again with the generic argument? We have generic characters in Smash already.
The only characters in Smash who COULD be considered generic are the Pokémon -but they're obviously their anime counterparts- and Yoshi -who had his/their main game-.

I'm well aware that there's a main Toad and all. But he is still just too plain.

Sorry, I don't wanna start another Bowser Jr. x Toad argument, but saying Bowser Jr. is not a good choice is just absurd.
Duck Hunt Dog is not a good choice. Bowser Jr. is one of the best choices for a Mario newcomer, up there with Toad. Yes.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Again with the generic argument? We have generic characters in Smash already.
we have the pokemon characters and maybe yoshi, so yes, the "generic" argument doesn't much matter. now try to counter the "lame" part. (i jest, i jest. toad's not really lame.)

don't get me wrong, i like toad. i simply don't see him as smash material.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Well, at least he is a better choice than lame, generic Toad.
I honestly don't understand why people take the generic problem so seriously. Honestly, does being a generic character really make the character less likable to people? If the character and species are important to Nintendo, then they still are indeed notable characters. Should we just ignore the roles that the Toads have done throughout the Mario series just because Toad is generic? Doubt it.

Here is a great quote I found in concerns to this issue:

Why does it mater if it is "the Toad" or generic toad or the captain of the toad brigade or blue and yellow toad from NSMBW or peach b move toad? Why can't Toad be Toad? Why can't a Toad represent all of these toads in one character slot in the next smash bros., like yoshi, like kirby, like any pokemon or traner? Why, my friends? Why?

If it was "the toad" there wouldn't even be a chance at having alternate colors because that would make the special "the toad" generic which is simply a sin against nature.

and people often contradict themselves thinking that they have two separate points saying "toad can't be in because he is generic AND he is peach's B move," but due to him being generic he can in be in Peach's pocket or dress or whatever and fighting at the same time because the one in the dress is just "one of many nameless toads" so it doesn't even matter

If I remember correctly (and its been a little bit): in Yoshi's Story and the Yoshi's Island games there was no one Yoshi, it was a collaborative group. In Yoshi's Story you could choose, and in Yoshi's Island there was a specific one for each level. There is no "the Yoshi" who is magically cooler, stronger, faster, and more of a bad***, there were just Yoshi's, and I see no one complaining over Yoshi's continued inclusion in 64, Melee, and Brawl, and his rather high chances of a spot in the next smashes.

Each pokemon not only represents their own species of pokemon, but the congregation of different pokemon is to represent all of the pokemon, and the Trainer (although he looks like Red) is supposed to represent all of the trainers to come before, during, or after his time. I dare you to go onto a Pokemon rep topic and say "Pokemon X is a generic copy and therefore shouldn't be a character, and since the 'trainer' is generic as well, the only characters that should or could be are gym leaders, elite four, champions, or professors as they are the only characters there is only one of," let's see how that works for you.

It's like saying that the master hand shouldn't exist because no one can tell for sure whose hand that is and there are many generic right hands with gloves.

There are plenty of characters made to represent a larger collective, Mr. Game & Watch is to represent the various G&W games, Kirby represents all of the kirby's, Pokemon, Yoshi. Every character doesn't even represent solely themself, all of the Mario characters are supposed to represent their own series, same for Zelda, Donkey Kong, Starfox, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, and every other character and represented series in the game, and all of these characters together are supposed to be a representation of Nintendo. 'Tis exactly what the game was made for.
- User: yrag324

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rather have Krystal's staff but we already have the Star Rod

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Duck Hunt Dog is a BAMF. He laughed at the person who is pointing a gun at him. Over and over again. That makes me want him in Smash. :awesome:

Rather have Krystal's staff but we already have the Star Rod

LOL WUT? I didn't know Krystal's staff acted the same as the Star Rod from Kirby games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, its a staff weapon that can shoot projectiles? Surely Krystal's staff could do more but you get the deal

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That dog outshines every retro character interms of popularity, which is why I love him. He would be perfect for giving us some laughs in the next story mode and in battle. He been trolling Nintendo fans since 1985 with that giggle of his's.

BTW, Aren't you the mod of that Duck Hunt Dog for Super Smash Bros 4 page on Facebook, Acadenik?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Okay, Toad is the only good Mario choice, but that doesn't mean he's not lame and boring. Junior is still not a good choice. The duck hunting dog is like... so many leagues below "bad choice." You should be ashamed to even mention him and Junior in the same sentence, Vicgur.

I don't see any new Mario characters getting in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That dog outshines every retro character interms of popularity, which is why I love him. He would be perfect for giving us some laughs in the next story mode and in battle. He been trolling Nintendo fans since 1985 with that giggle of his's.

BTW, Aren't you the mod of that Duck Hunt Dog for Super Smash Bros 4 page on Facebook, Acadenik?
No, I am not. I think that would be SmashKing201, I believe.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do you really think with Impa around (especially with the celshaded graphics of SS) that they'd opt to use Toon Zelda / non existant Toon Sheik if they also could make Impa a clone if they'd have to?
*looks at what Sakurai planned* Yep. I go with hard facts. Impa has almost no mention in Melee or Brawl. Sakurai thought a Toon Sheik was a better idea. Silly, but true.

You're just going to have to accept that Sakurai doesn't consider her more important than any of Zelda's forms, including clones he himself made up. And we both know that if he had more time, all of the Forbidden 7 would be in, she would be too. Sakurai is not against same character-based clones. Like, at all. *looks at Metal Mario and Giant Donkey Kong* Only reason they ain't playable is that he didn't add their "results screens" animations.(which would've been fairly easy, since they're basically already done via the originals, same with Giga Bowser in Melee, or arguably the Polygons/Wire Frames)

I don't think MegaMan is really to important. To American fans maybe yeah, but not on an international base. Though it could work if Japan wants him to, as EarthBound never reached Europe either for example.

You must be joking. MegaMan himself is popular worldwide. The games, not so much anymore. But the character is mostly well-beloved.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Brawl was released before Impa's revival and biggest role: Skyward Sword. Toon Sheik will NOT make it before Impa. Especially cause Impa pretty much IS a Toon Sheik :rolleyes: same with Tetra, who I still believe would be Brawl's Toon Sheik.

And am kinda afraid the Duck Hunt Dog will be an AT. Playable would be cool though, but it doesn't get me TOO excited. Still like Takamaru better.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Brawl was released before Impa's revival and biggest role: Skyward Sword. Toon Sheik will NOT make it before Impa. Especially cause Impa pretty much IS a Toon Sheik :rolleyes: same with Tetra, who I still believe would be Brawl's Toon Sheik.
No. There was only Toon Sheik. Stop deluding yourself. Tetra was NEVER in the data. If she was, it would explicitly say TETRA. It says Toon Sheik.

And you're actually quite wrong on all accounts.

1) Sakurai wanted Toon Sheik in before Impa. The latter of which he clearly gives no crap about.
2) Toon Sheik has to be a form of Zelda, as Sheik will always be Zelda. Impa is not Toon Sheik. Stop twisting facts because you cannot accept that Impa is not important to Smash and probably won't be at this point.(you'd think she'd be mentioned a LOT more)
3) Sakurai has yet to show caring about "ooh, character got more interesting". Impa's one and only other notable appearance(besides OOT) isn't going to help much. OOT was her best chance, and Sheik was more important. At best, Sakurai may notice her a little, but it really won't ultimate "get her in". It may help at best... at being a Trophy for once. You severely overestimate her already pathetic chances on the realistic scale.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
If there's one thing I don't get, it's how Takamaru, from nowhere, is such a popular name mentioned in the retro category. I really just don't get it.

Also, Oasis, did I just see you compare Junior to Krystal? Ew. Junior would be disappoint.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If there's one thing I don't get, it's how Takamaru, from nowhere, is such a popular name mentioned in the retro category. I really just don't get it.
Sakurai mentioned that if Takamaru would get a new game, he would put him into SSB4.

Also, Oasis, did I just see you compare Junior to Krystal? Ew. Junior would be disappoint.
Junior's just as interesting, especially with his paintbrush.

Not seeing an issue here.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I find that to be quite absurd. After all, Bowser Jr. operates differently from his father; he's faster, but less powerful.

Ugh, Duck Hunt Dog. Why do people even want that turd? >_>
Beats me. Frankly, there are better retro choices out there, such as Takamaru.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@Hyper

Really? Well that would be something I did not know. That certainly changes the way I look at the retro stock market...

Also, that was in defense of Junior. I love him. I want him in before Toad (blasphemy, I know). I was saying that Junior is not in the same league as Krystal, but is miles ahead of her (inmyhumbleopionion inmyhumbleopionion inmyhumbleopionion).

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Little Mac & Takamaru are the only retro characters I expect to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom