• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If Sakurai's criteria inovlves uniqueness and offering something new, then only Porky out of those would pass.
But even then, Porky would be hard to make viable, even if Crusade made him work (voiced by yours truly).

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Golden
No. Flint is a supporting character in a Japan-only game (MOTHER 3), which is not enough to warrant Flint being playable in Smash Bros. However, that does "fit" Flint into just about any other role based on Sakurai's way of doing things. I'm certain there is a role that Flint could easily fit into as a non-playable character in smash.

And Golden, did you just say you did voices in Crusade=??? o.o

Also, MOTHER doesn't need another playable character. At all. Stop saying they need one. The series is done, and has it's 2 only really important character as playable characters in Smash already. Instead, say you would like to see another character. (this paragraph is not directed at Golden at all)

D

Deleted member

I'm asking the REAL criteria, or whatever people call it.

Like the "Does this character make people want to play the game" or the "Does this character contribute to balance", questions.

And yes. I voiced Porky in Crusade. Might do more.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Sakurai's criteria inovlves uniqueness and offering something new, then only Porky out of those would pass.
But even then, Porky would be hard to make viable, even if Crusade made him work (voiced by yours truly).
I think Claus's sword/blaster/electric combo of a moveset would be something not yet represented, but I agree the Porky would be the most diverse, out of the four, if not particularly likely or viable.

Kumatora I added because of her overwhelming popularity in Japan, which would fit Sakurai's criteria of making people want to play the game. More than Flint would, at least. A gloves moveset would be interesting too, but it wouldn't be as diverse as Claus or Porky.

But I really gotta go watch some Porky Crusade vids and listen to the voice. Like right now. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Why bother? I have them all uploaded onto my Youtube channel.
However, they are unlisted, so I'd have to send the links to you in a PM. :troll:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If by real criteria, you mean like what he brings (he could bring a unique moveset), if he matters, and whether or not he makes people want to play the game (I truly think he could make us more hyped to play the game, but all of the people he would hype up would already get the game).

Also, that is cool. I haven't play as Porky yet. You friends with the guys who made Crusade or something=??? :laugh:
Sakurai said:
- There's a lot of implied differences between the 3DS and Wii U versions. The issue of limitations (or lack thereof) come up ("I could make 50 characters, or double the stages, or make everything prettier (graphically), but with the Wii U I don't have to choose just one of those options")
I love this quote! This makes me hopeful that all of the listed stuff will happen :)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I remember hopping on the Masked Man bandwagon back in Brawl, but now I know Porky is a much better choice.

'Specially since Saki would be pretty similar to the Masked Man.

D

Deleted member

I've been following the project for quite some time, and am actually an Admiin on their Forum.

I have kind of a reputation of being a hothead there like I am here, so when I joked to the guy that was spriting Porky (GigaPichu) about me voicing him, he said it had to be done. "It would be an honor for the most naggish user to voice Porky!" So I voiced him.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Originally Posted by Sakurai
- There's a lot of implied differences between the 3DS and Wii U versions. The issue of limitations (or lack thereof) come up ("I could make 50 characters, or double the stages, or make everything prettier (graphically), but with the Wii U I don't have to choose just one of those options")
I love this quote! This makes me hopeful that all of the listed stuff will happen :)
Nice quote...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
lol, you do a good job with Porky, he sounds like a massive troll, just like I imagined.

It reminds me that I really need to download the latest version though.

What other characters would you voice?

D

Deleted member

I did consider voicing Samurai Goroh, but I'm not sure I can pull off a hearty Japanese-style voice.

I AM voicing an evil cloud that Ashley summons, though. Though it's just an evil laugh.

Saki has too little voiceclips, so I might voice him as well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well whatever voices you decide to do, their taunts should all revolve around spanking. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I don't see why we must automatically assume Miyamoto's IP is making it in.
It's not like every single one of Miyamoto's IPs is in Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So,

Shulk, Miyamoto IP.... opinions?
I think unless Shulk gets more games he will always be a dark-horse candidate. Although if Monolith works on SSB4 like they did with Brawl, his chances might increase slightly. I'll still support him no matter what though, Xenoblade is awesome, and Shulk could have a very cool Monado-based moveset.

Unless Miyamoto's IP turns out to be something like Nintendogs, I'm guessing that the character will be very very likely to appear in Smash at some time. To appear in SSB4 though, I think it depends on how far along both games (Miyamoto's and SSB4) are already in development, and how well received the IP is (both critically and sales-wise, though I have a hard time imagining it would do poorly among critics), as well as how much of a push Nintendo or Miyamoto makes for this character to be included. Sakurai is probably already aware of what the character is now though, if the game is to be revealed at this E3.

D

Deleted member

The fact that Xenoblade is a successful, popular 1st-Party franchise give Shulk quite an edge. So what if he had only one game? There is no real rule against that. And plenty of one-timers made it already.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's nothing against that, but considering a majority of his competition comes from well-established, longstanding and equally or more successful series, I wouldn't put his chances at the top of the list. And most of the one timers were from series that existed before or after them.

I'd be all for Shulk if he got in though, and I think the amount of popularity, press, and critical praise that Xenoblade have gotten all bode well for his chances. And if we assume being 1st-party instead of 2nd boosts his chances (which all evidence in Smash currently proves), I would agree that he would have quite the edge over most 2nd party characters. Still lots of 1st-party competition though.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
@GY: That's almost exactly what I would expect Porky to sound like. Good job. :laugh:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's true. Ganondorf, Sheik, and Ice Climbers were all one-offs when they got into Melee.

...Plenty is an overstatement, though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
True, but all of them except the Ice Climbers came from established series, which helped them gain notoriety. And honestly Ice Climbers were a random (not bad though) pick.

edit: I didn't mean unrepresented 1st party series. Because from 1st party series without current playable representation (AC debates aside), I would agree that Shulk has the best chances.
edit2: At least, as a non-retro pick. Those are always hard to predict.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I've been following the project for quite some time, and am actually an Admiin on their Forum.
Well I am admin of the forum that hosts the imaginary forum that hosts your forum. :p
I have kind of a reputation of being a hothead there like I am here
NO WAI!!! Who would ever believe such a thing=??? :troll:
so when I joked to the guy that was spriting Porky (GigaPichu) about me voicing him, he said it had to be done. "It would be an honor for the most naggish user to voice Porky!" So I voiced him.
HAHA! That's funny! You should also voice Cranky Kong (but speaking in an old man monkey who used to be an ape voice), since... well.... you know... :smirk:
I did consider voicing Samurai Goroh, but I'm not sure I can pull off a hearty Japanese-style voice.
I AM voicing an evil cloud that Ashley summons, though. Though it's just an evil laugh.
Saki has too little voiceclips, so I might voice him as well.
...INNNTTTEEEERRRREEESSSSTTTINNNNNGGGGG!!!! I hope your clouds don't like Waluigi though. Because Waluigi is Wa-lu-evile!!! :grin:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They were still one-time characters as is.

Doesn't matter the series. They had one game appearance at the time and count the same.

That's just silly nitpicking.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All I'm saying is that a one-time character from an existing well-established series who plays a major role in that game has a better chance than a one-time character from a one-game series who plays a major role in their game.

I hope that wasn't confusing :embarrass:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The fact that Xenoblade is a successful, popular 1st-Party franchise give Shulk quite an edge. So what if he had only one game? There is no real rule against that. And plenty of one-timers made it already.
I think Krom is a "one shot wonder" character who can challenge Shulk, and probably has the edge. Also, a 5th Generation Pokémon, who most likely is Zoroark.
I don't see why we must automatically assume Miyamoto's IP is making it in.
It's not like every single one of Miyamoto's IPs is in Smash.
Miyamoto has made dozens upon dozens of IPs.

Mario, Donkey Kong, the Legend of Zelda, Yoshi, Star Fox, F-Zero, and Pikmin are the only ones to get playable characters in smash bros thus far. That's a lot (7), but small compared to the amount of IPs Miyamoto has made.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't call Earthbound during Smash 64's or Melee's time an "established" series, as it was only two games that were mere cult classics. Well, Earthbound was. Mother 1, not so much.

But I guess by that logic, Mike Jones for Smash 4. :troll: Who? Mike Jones!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
True, Mother at the time of Smash 64 and Xenoblade now are in similar situations, I've even compared them before, but I would still give the edge in that situation to Mother, as it did have two games, both very popular in Japan, with the anticipation of a third to come out in the series. (Earthbound 64)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
[COLLAPSE="Click here for Mike Jones!"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Mike Jones is a great rapper dog! He's so good, I can't even understand a word he says! :laugh:[COLLAPSE="No really, here is the Mike Jones you are looking for..."]
[/COLLAPSE]Also, "spankidy, spankidy, SPANK!!!" :troll:
Very funny.

D

Deleted member

I'll take a potato chip.....*breathes heavily*....and EAT IT!
*dramatic music*

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ice Climbers were the main characters of their game... and play a major role, being the main protagonist. Just like Mario.

Not sure if there's a difference here.

Also, Ganondorf was actually more background than anything. He was about as notable as Bowser in the first Super Mario Bros. Yeah... he took over the world, yada yada.

We knew he was cunning, right?

But he was the main villain.

Also, as said, established is a pretty bad way to look at it. It doesn't apply to Mother, really. It barely had two games, and only the second game was acknowledged.

I explained Ganondorf.

Lucas had a single appearance as well, and wasn't even supposed to be the main character!

Ice Climbers, main character.

Also, let's look at Yoshi. A few appearances at best. Maybe 5 at most. Super Mario World, SMW 2, Yoshi's Story, Mario Party 1 and 2. Oh, wait, 6. Mario is Missing.(could've been other spinoffs) In only two games was he "important", if you will.

Sheik played a decent role in OOT. About as much as Ganondorf, to be honest.

Lastly, we have... Captain Falcon. He's about as important as Ice Climbers, save having more characterization.(what, people forgot he was a one-off too?)

D

Deleted member

Falcon was a two-off.
F-Zero and F-Zero X were before Smash 64 IIRC.
Still didn't mean much, as he didn't really do anything but drive a car.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Be sure to make sure Wario farts on it first to spice it up. They say Wario's farts taste like peppers.
*insert fitting music here*

Also, Captain Falcon was supposed to be the face of the Super Nintendo. Plus he is the face of F-Zero, and F-Zero, F-Zero 2 (Japan-only), F-Zero X, and F-Zero X 64DD were out before Smash 64 came out (although I'm not 100% sure on the latter).

Edit: Anyways, Johnknight1 out.

*plays epic outro music*

D

Deleted member

And Falcon was apparently one of Sakurai's favorite Nintendo heroes.
That, and Sakurai was clearly a Kamen Rider fan and turned him into Kamen Rider Falcon. :awesome:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Falcon was a two-off.
F-Zero and F-Zero X were before Smash 64 IIRC.
Still didn't mean much, as he didn't really do anything but drive a car.
Oh, my bad.

Anyway, let's also note he did fight in the official comic available with the game. Whether or not it's canon...

Also, GY, Falcon's design happens to be just like one of the beta characters in Dragon King: The Fighting Game. Also, they're pretty much the origin of the Fighting Polygon Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom