• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No. NO. Why would you suggest something like that. Smash's success was specifically not doing this.
Was not doing what=??? Creating a game that isn't slow, boring, and has stupid crap like tripping=??? Like seriously, what the hell is with random tripping and the stalling-centered battles=??? Nobody likes it. You know competitive smashers aren't the only ones to complain about that.

Casual smashers do it, too, not just with their voices, but their wallets. Every time I got to a video game retailers, I see so many used copies of Brawl. I never saw anywhere the number of used copies of Melee. I saw a local Game Stop had about 20 used copies of Brawl. I've never seen that many used copies of Melee at that store or any store in my life.

At least the things done in the Project M mod make sense. What was the clear purpose of Brawl=??? It should have been to top Melee, and yet many casual and competitive players recognize Melee as better. Heck, the guy who created the series still sees it that way. Brawl is a mess of the game, developed and balanced around the SSE.

yani

Smash Lord
I updated my music post in the BR with Xenoblade music. Go check it. :)

(the one on page 3, not the one from my old account)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Lol, there aren't even that many copies of Melee left in stores
Every gaming store in my area I go to has more used copies of Brawl than it ever had of Melee dating back to 2001. Consider that Brawl sold better on a console that sold better.
The problem with Pac-Man is that only a few people would want to see him in Smash.
Yes, but Pac-Man in Smash would immediately create more awareness for Smash within the gaming community. Plus for the casual fan it would be like "Oh cool. Look who they added." Adding Pac-Man would simply add another character that everyone knows to make the game that much easier to get into for casual and newer gamers.
Mega Man is by far the most wanted third-party characters and a few others beat Pac-Man as well (namely Layton, Slime, and Geno).
Layton and Geno's fan bases loudness make them seem bigger than they are. Besides that, nobody knows who they are. Pac-Man would generate more revenue and awareness. With video game fan bases you can't just always only aim at the fan base you have, but the fan bases you don't have. Pac-Man does the latter. Only maybe Slime does that (of those characters listed), and Slime probably only does that most likely in Japan. Layton's fan base is small and new. Geno's fan base is already fan bases that support Smash Bros.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
New system update for all you 3Dsers. Also, yes, Melee was better in gameplay, but it had characters that didn't make much sense. I forget if Wind Waker was out yet, but why did they base Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf off OoT? I get Ganon, but they coulda' changed style a little bit. But also, my friend bought Melee and I enjoy it. I'm still not pro-Roy, but I am pro-Mewtwo and Pichu. Nobody is pro-Young Link or Dr. Mario other than alts for Toon Link and Mario. Also, Sony Smash will be amazing. As long as Daxter and Clank come in in some way, I'll be happy playing my uncle's PS3.:bee:
On FE:A and KI:U, may be getting the latter today. Fire Emblem will just be a pass for me. I'm all RPG-ed out after beating SoulSillver. So, bye for now.
Edit: Already back. Also, what kinda show would this be? Or is it a joke? I remember a time when I supported Pac for Sm4sh, but then I "came to my senses." But now, I could see him in the Mokujin Robot, beating the crap out of Toon Link just for fun.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not been here for a few days due to things of some sort.

Wait...so Michaiah is DLC for Awakening, but we still have no word on Ike? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, any news of it going Stateside yet?

Well that's...a lot less conservative than her last appearance. Not too bad, though. Could be worse.

I'm hoping that E3 has a good showing. Some news on Smash Bros. and Pikmin 3 especially.

Also, what do you guys think are the odds of a new Special move in lieu of the Side Special and Final Smash?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Cobalsh
the Wind Waker was about 18 months away from being released. And trust me, people liked Dr. Mario (especially since stylistically and move set-wise he was superior to Mario) and Young Link. Young Link in particular has always seemed to be 1 of the most popular Melee newcomers.
John, I doubt the other two consoles are gonna be shown this year (although these rumors are kinda persistent about it)
They will be at least talked about some time this year. I got a strong feeling that the 3rd Xbox will be shown this year. Microsoft knows its' reaching the limits of the Xbox 360. When Nintendo realized they were past the limits of the Wii around the time Mario Galaxy came out, they probably started focusing all their attention on a new console. The Playstation 3 will most likely have the life span of the PS1 and PS2, which means expect it to still be relevant up to 7 years from now. Heck, I think the PS2 had its' last game released last year. That's means it had 12 years worth of games. I believe the PS2 had over 2,000 games! Talk about getting your moneys' worth from the PS2! (I know I did!) :chuckle:
[COLLAPSE="The design is great and all, but NO NOSE? 0_0"]
[/COLLAPSE]
That design is terrible. Her eye change is weird. The body-sized leggings is weird and out of place in Fire Emblem, and her new outfit's sole purpose is fan service.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Actually, this new Micaiah looks bit too... "go google yourself"-material. I first thought this was a fanart from those risque imageboard sites like Danbooru. (-l^i-);;;
But this is actually official art?

WHAT.

I mean, remember how refined (and not revealing) her last design was?

Can't still recognise that's really her. She looks less mature to me now.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@Opossum- I think we're most likely gonna get SOMETHING new in terms of gameplay

@John- I'm just hoping that the Nextbox isn't gonna have a Wii U-like controller like it's been rumored to have

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh God, Sony and Microsoft have had so many new games that make me despise their console revolving around motion controls. None of them are any good. Although, to be fair, the Wii has tons of crappy 3rd party games.

Still, unlike the Wii, the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 have excellent games coming out that aren't motion controls-based. I wish Nintendo would still make a few "traditional" games. You don't have to make everything with the purpose of changing how we play games. Instead, a healthy balance of both types of games (as well as other types of games) is preferred. Like seriously, Brawl is the only game I play that doesn't involve me shaking or moving the Wiimote and/or the Nunchuck as a required function. :laugh:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
@ Cobalsh
the Wind Waker was about 18 months away from being released. And trust me, people liked Dr. Mario (especially since stylistically and move set-wise he was superior to Mario) and Young Link. Young Link in particular has always seemed to be 1 of the most popular Melee newcomers.

They will be at least talked about some time this year. I got a strong feeling that the 3rd Xbox will be shown this year. Microsoft knows its' reaching the limits of the Xbox 360. When Nintendo realized they were past the limits of the Wii around the time Mario Galaxy came out, they probably started focusing all their attention on a new console. The Playstation 3 will most likely have the life span of the PS1 and PS2, which means expect it to still be relevant up to 7 years from now. Heck, I think the PS2 had its' last game released last year. That's means it had 12 years worth of games. I believe the PS2 had over 2,000 games! Talk about getting your moneys' worth from the PS2! (I know I did!) :chuckle:
I do realize they're popular, I just don't like them and I don't think Sakurai does either. Also, I still own a PS2, and since Battlefront 3 is still in production by Lucasarts, for XBox 360, PS3, and PS2, we haven't seen the last of our good buddy.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I do realize they're popular, I just don't like them and I don't think Sakurai does either. Also, I still own a PS2, and since Battlefront 3 is still in production by Lucasarts, for XBox 360, PS3, and PS2, we haven't seen the last of our good buddy.
I know the PS3 and Xbox 360 have at least 5 years left in them, probably with quality games for at least a good 2 years for the 360, and 5 years for the PS3. :cool:

The Wii probably will be artificially kept alive for another 3 years with some awful non-Nintendo titles! :laugh:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Iwata: SMASH BROS! (laughs)

Calling it.

US Localisation: YOUR BOOBS MUST BE COVERRED.

Micaiah: whocares.jpg
Iwata: (Laughs)

troll.jpg
[COLLAPSE="What Iwata Asks is REALLY Like (Iwata Asks continued):"]
Sakurai: So Kid Icar-

Iwata: Yes, I agree that Smash Bros. is going to be great. That's where you got your start, right?

Sakurai: That was Kirby's Dreamland, which I made with you as a superviso-

Iwata: Yes, just like Smash Bros. You gonna tell me about Smash Bros?

Sakurai: No, I wanted to talk about Uprisi-

Iwata: Yes, but let's talk about Smash Bros. for a moment. Are you excited to be making a new Smash Bros.?

Sakurai: Yes, but right now I want to focus on telling our customers about this great new Kid Icarus game my team and I ma-

Iwata: Why yes, of course. Then we'll talk about Smash Bros.

Sakurai: Of course.

Iwata: Smash Bros. is my favorite.

Iwata: (laughs)

Sakurai: Uprising will have this new feature and it will change the way we see gam-

Iwata: How does this relate to Smash Bros.

Sakurai: Well it doesn'-

Iwata: - TELL ME about Smash Bros. Do you like Smash Bros? Do I like Smash Bros? Do boys like Smash Bros? Do girls like Smash Bros? What about Smash Sisters? Smash Hoes can be advertised to an older Grand Theft Auto audience. Is Smash Bros just for Bros? Can Smash Bros every have fun with their bro? Smash Bros is Smash Bros. Anyways, continue talking about this "OTHER" game...

Sakurai: This "other game" has got all these new features. It's going to be-

Iwata: SMASH BROS! I Smash Bros, you Smash Bros, he she me Smash Bros'ing. The study of Smash Brosology! It's 1st grade Sakurai-san! Continue my good friend Sakurai-san, but no need to lecture.

Sakurai: Anyways, I built this game like a RPG meets Kirby meets a rail shooter.

Iwata: Really? I never imagined Smash Bros. as that.

Sakurai: That ain't Smash Bros.

Iwata: That ain't Falco!!!

Sakurai: This game will be in 3D, unlike other Kid Icarus gam-

Iwata: BUT SMASH IS 2D! Are we gonna call it Super Smash Bros. Sunshine? C'mon Sakurai, don't screw up Smash Bros.

Sakurai: ...

Sakurai: Ki-

Iwata: -SMASH BROS SMASH BROS SMASH BROS! MAKE ME MONEY BOI! IYEEE WANTS MAH SMASH BROS SO I CAN KICK YOUR TINY A** AT YOUR OWN GAME!

Iwata: IT'S A MAN'S GAME!!!

Iwata: I'M A MACHINE, JERK!!!

Iwata: (laughs) SMASH BROS!!! (laughs)

Iwata: (Waluigi laugh)[/COLLAPSE]

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I captured the essence that is Iwata asks. Seriously, I think Smash Bros. is Iwata's favorite video game series ever! :laugh:

Edit: @ Metal Overlord
Re-add that picture (in the Collapse box, lulz)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014

Iwata: Yes, I agree that Smash Bros. is going to be great. That's where you got your start, right?

Iwata: Yes, but let's talk about Smash Bros. for a moment. Are you excited to be making a new Smash Bros.?

Sakurai: Yes, but right now I want to focus on telling our customers about this great new Kid Icarus game my team and I ma-

Sakurai: Uprising will have this new feature and it will change the way we see gam-

Iwata: - TELL ME about Smash Bros. Do you like Smash Bros? Do I like Smash Bros? Do boys like Smash Bros? Do girls like Smash Bros? What about Smash Sisters? Smash Hoes can be advertised to an older Grand Theft Auto audience. Is Smash Bros just for Bros? Can Smash Bros every have fun with their bro? Smash Bros is Smash Bros. Anyways, continue talking about this "OTHER" game...

Iwata: SMASH BROS! I Smash Bros, you Smash Bros, he she me Smash Bros'ing. The study of Smash Brosology! It's 1st grade Sakurai-san! Continue my good friend Sakurai-san, but no need to lecture.

Sakurai: Anyways, I built this game like a RPG meets Kirby meets a rail shooter.

Iwata: BUT SMASH IS 2D! Are we gonna call it Super Smash Bros. Sunshine? C'mon Sakurai, don't screw up Smash Bros.

Iwata: -SMASH BROS SMASH BROS SMASH BROS! MAKE ME MONEY BOI! IYEEE WANTS MAH SMASH BROS SO I CAN KICK YOUR TINY A** AT YOUR OWN GAME!

Iwata: IT'S A MAN'S GAME!@!

Iwata: (Waluigi laugh)[/COLLAPSE]
I don´t know what to say anymore. :awesome::awesome::awesome:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think Golden MAI BOI would be proud of the ending... :shades:

"Iwata: RANDOM SMASH BROS REFERENCE!
Iwata: (laughs)"

...should be at the end of every post today. I mean, it is Silly Saturday!

Iwata: SMASH BROS SHOULD BE MENTIONED HERE!!!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Was not doing what=??? Creating a game that isn't slow, boring, and has stupid crap like tripping=??? Like seriously, what the hell is with random tripping and the stalling-centered battles=??? Nobody likes it. You know competitive smashers aren't the only ones to complain about that.

Casual smashers do it, too, not just with their voices, but their wallets. Every time I got to a video game retailers, I see so many used copies of Brawl. I never saw anywhere the number of used copies of Melee. I saw a local Game Stop had about 20 used copies of Brawl. I've never seen that many used copies of Melee at that store or any store in my life.

At least the things done in the Project M mod make sense. What was the clear purpose of Brawl=??? It should have been to top Melee, and yet many casual and competitive players recognize Melee as better. Heck, the guy who created the series still sees it that way. Brawl is a mess of the game, developed and balanced around the SSE.
You have to remember that SmashChu's line of thought, which is very narrow, is that sales indicate quality. Because Brawl sold more than Melee, Brawl is better. Not only that, but he looks at the quantity of the content in the game, but not the quality of it. You can probably get more milage out of Skullgirls' 8 characters of BlazBlue's 19 characters than you will out of Brawl's 39 characters. Likewise, you'll probably get more out of the top ten in Melee than the top ten in Brawl.

I also think you should look at the article where Sakurai talks about Melee and Brawl again.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1139263p1.html
Here's the interesting part. Despite having made Brawl seven years later, Sakurai still considers Melee "the sharpest game in the series... it just felt really good to play." The franchise creator did lament that the game did have a problematic accessibility level, as he targeted it toward those "well-versed in videogames." More revealing was the following quote:

"There are three Smash Bros. games out now, but even if I ever had a chance at another one, I doubt we'll ever see one that's as geared toward hardcore gamers as Melee was. Melee fans who played deep into the game without any problems might have trouble understanding this, but Melee was just too difficult."
While he does say that Melee was the most technical (something no one will deny), he laments that it was too hard for anyone that wasn't an advanced player. If I were Sakurai, working on Brawl, I would've looked to make the muscle memory curve less steep, not take it all away. Making L-Canceling automatic, dash dancing a bit easier, and making wave dashing easier would've made the game more friendly for anyone wanting to dabble in high level play.

New system update for all you 3Dsers. Also, yes, Melee was better in gameplay, but it had characters that didn't make much sense. I forget if Wind Waker was out yet, but why did they base Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf off OoT? I get Ganon, but they coulda' changed style a little bit. But also, my friend bought Melee and I enjoy it. I'm still not pro-Roy, but I am pro-Mewtwo and Pichu. Nobody is pro-Young Link or Dr. Mario other than alts for Toon Link and Mario. Also, Sony Smash will be amazing. As long as Daxter and Clank come in in some way, I'll be happy playing my uncle's PS3.:bee:
On FE:A and KI:U, may be getting the latter today. Fire Emblem will just be a pass for me. I'm all RPG-ed out after beating SoulSillver. So, bye for now.
Edit: Already back. Also, what kinda show would this be? Or is it a joke? I remember a time when I supported Pac for Sm4sh, but then I "came to my senses." But now, I could see him in the Mokujin Robot, beating the crap out of Toon Link just for fun.
Actually, I'm all for the idea of Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Melee Ganondorf being DLC characters.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@John- YOU ARE TEARING ME APAHT, LISA

Iwata: IT'S A MAN'S GAME!@!

Iwata: (Waluigi laugh)

[/COLLAPSE]
It was GLORIOUS before, but now it's PERFECT

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why not finish an incomplete picture Metal=???

I mean, could you imagine if Leonardo DaVinci actually finished the Mona Lisa by
giving her bigger breasts, by
putting clowns in the background, by
putting a homeless man urinating on a bunch of children
and by
showing the Kings of Europe stealing all the peasants' money
=???

It would be the most GLORIOUS PICTURE EVER! :awesome: :chuckle: :laugh: :grin: :lol: :cool: :shades: :rotfl: :joyful:

Edit: @ Metal
FUUNNNY FACT, I NOOO PAYY FOR DAHHH FIRST DATTTEEEE!!!

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The Room is so bad of a movie it's actually hilarious

And indeed, that would be a glorious picture

Just so you know, it took me a few minutes to respond because I was laughing so hard at everything you said, haha

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Luk
Make a happy meme of Iwata's face. Then under it have it say:

"Iwata: Smash Bros.

Iwata: (laughs)"​

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The Room is so bad of a movie it's actually hilarious

And indeed, that would be a glorious picture

Just so you know, it took me a few minutes to respond because I was laughing so hard at everything you said, haha
"EEYYYYHHHH DOOONNNN'TTT HAAAVVVVEEE AAA FWWWEEENNNDDD EENNNN DDDAAHHHH WRRIIIRRLLLLLDDDDD!!!"

@ august
MAI BOI, that is because the controllers are in short demand right now. Maybe they'll make more later (like they did with the Wiimote and Nunchuck). Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if extra Wii U Controllers were only available with a game like the Wiimote and Nunchuck initially were with Wii Play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom