• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah, but he has no games coming out. That is what matters at the end of the day. You can only fill the tank with so much nostalgia before it runs out. Rockman Online barely qualifies as it is Korea only at this point as far as I know.
Same could be said for Street Fighter. The series is on rest for now, but it's not dead, that's my only point. I do think though, that the next title they come out with will be the deciding factor as to the future of the series, not Legends 3.

@3rd Parties: What exactly are we agruing about? I'm lost. Is it Capcom vs Square? Cause that's a losing argument right there. Besides, it's not like they're in any competition with each other like the characters from Mario, Pokemon, or FE.

D

Deleted member

Okay, so there seems to be a heated debate between Mega Man, Layton, and Square Enix. I'll pitch in my thoughts now.

Assuming the likely scenario that only one new third-party character gets in (if we even get any), I feel that it will be either Mega Man or Layton. I'm currently saying Mega Man because Sakurai has been aware of the fan base for Mega Man to be in a Smash game ever since Pre-Melee and Sakurai does seem to be open to the possibility of a Capcom character. Capcom has also expressed interest for him to be in Smash (and isn't there something about Capcom developing Mega Man for Brawl, but negotiation fell through? Correct me if I'm wrong on this.). However, I still feel as Layton is possible as an alternate assuming that negotiation for Mega Man does fall through as the president of Level-5 did express interest in putting him in Smash (which is something significant to note) and he does seem to be decently popular in Japan as a choice. Layton is a character that I feel has serious potential to gain a strong fan base to become a playable character and I can see the president of Level-5 pushing for Layton's inclusion. While I'm not particularly interested in Layton, I think he works.

I'm also not sure if Sakurai considers strong third-party relationship with Nintendo and another company as a reason to include third-parties. It is true that Nintendo wants to establish better relationships with third-parties, but there's no proof that this is going to carry on to Smash, because as much as we don't like to admit it (or like to admit if you don't like third-parties in Smash), the possibility does remain that Smash 4 do away with them and I think that strong popularity or interest by a big name in gaming like Kojima or a president of a company will help more than just strong corporate relationship that may mean absolutely nothing to Smash in the long term.

As for Square Enix getting a rep; I don't have much hope for it and if it does get one, I'm worried that it could end up being Cloud (assuming that a 3DS Final Fantasy VII does happen), which I would be very displeased with seeing. As for Slime, whom I think would be great in Smash, I have a very bad feeling about him. Starphoenix have indeed given great reasons for why Slime should be in Smash and how Slime could fit in well, but the question isn't that can he fit, but this; does Sakurai think Slime can fit in?

On the one hand, Slime has a lot more to work with than Mr. Saturn, but he still has no limbs, which was why Mr. Saturn never got in. Plus he's third-party and those are extremely difficult to fit in, which could give Sakurai less of an incentive to consider Slime in.

But overall, I'm just hoping that Sakurai is relatively open to third-parties. Even thought they are the least necessary part of a roster and one that we can go without, after Sonic and Snake were such enjoyable inclusions in Brawl and the roster bound to expand to 49+ characters, it's hard to look back (especially with Mega Man being my #1 most wanted character:awesome:).

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@Shorts Third party characters are being licensed for the game. Several third party characters.

Jesus, if it was only first party characters, they'd barely have a game.

@SSBF Whaaaaat? You aren't interested in Layton? He's only the most badass, gentlemanly professor there is. Seriously though, I'm crazy about the Layton series. I think it's quite honestly one of the best franchises to come out of the DS generation of handhelds. I'm glad everyone seems to think he has decent chances, because he might be my most wanted at this point.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'd like to see combos with more emphasis on ground normals.
Ike had quite a few. It wasn't shown, but I think so does Link and Toon Link.
BTW, I found this article via Shoryuken. This article pretty much kills tripping in Brawl.
http://bitmob.com/articles/super-smash-bros-brawl-a-beloved-example-of-contemptuous-game-design
Tripping was actually in a Guilty Gear game before Brawl. It did this for some super broken female character who had all kinds of broken combos. Instead of weakening her to make her more balance, they made her randomly trip to prevent her from doing her ridiculous combos. (I heard this from my pal SamuraiPanda on SMYN btw)

Still, random tripping needs to die. Nobody, casual or competitive, likes it. Tripping as a result of an action, however, needs to stay.
oh man oh man I need more John Business talk
Yeah, I probably do need to stop after the 1st analogy, but the #'s was worth bringing up. It goes to show you that even though there are a ton of Resident Evil titles released, they all sell pretty good.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I was about to mention Megaman Legends. Reviving 3 and even going in that direction for Megaman would be a big thing for the series. The series needs a huge change if it's going to survive in this market.

@John
Those and the Lucario ones were only a handful. I don't like it when a ground combo consists of SHFFL'ing the same aerial a few times into a KO. It'd be one thing if this was a hit confirm, but it just seems boring to watch. And it makes some characters look like jumping fleas.

Wasn't tripping only in the first Guilty Gear. Either way, doesn't justify tripping in any way. Reason why it's probably an obscure thing is because Guilty Gear didn't take off (as far as I know) until Guilty Gear X. Brawl, on the other hand, was super hyped and remains a prolific game. Not only that, but the tripping in Guilty Gear was limited solely to Justice. Brawl gave random tripping to everyone. And I am definitely in favor of move induced tripping. Nothing wrong with that feature.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
There were no third party characters in consideration for Brawl besides Sonic and Snake. No one approached him besides Konami... he approached SEGA.ed i

If you think not being interested in Layton is crazy, I'll have you know I don't want any third parties to show up. Any. Any. ANY.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Same could be said for Street Fighter. The series is on rest for now, but it's not dead, that's my only point. I do think though, that the next title they come out with will be the deciding factor as to the future of the series, not Legends 3.

@3rd Parties: What exactly are we agruing about? I'm lost. Is it Capcom vs Square? Cause that's a losing argument right there. Besides, it's not like they're in any competition with each other like the characters from Mario, Pokemon, or FE.
Difference is Capcom is not saying do not expect any Street Fighter games for awhile. People need to understand Capcom SAID the Megaman series is done with for awhile.

Not exactly sure what is being debated. I only began trying to comment that Nintendo does not harbor ill will towards Square Enix, and the next thing I know I'm discussing Megaman.

@SSBF:

As far as your Slime comment goes you are 100% correct. It does not matter what fans think can happen it is about what Sakurai thinks. If he does not think it will work, it won't work. Personally I cannot see how it couldn't considering he can play physical sports just fine and pick up things, but I'm not Sakurai. All I will say is if fan guys can get Gooey to work in a Smash knock off then there really is no excuse for Sakurai. This is only my opinion. My head tells me not to hold my breath.

If you think not being interested in Layton is crazy, I'll have you know I don't want any third parties to show up. Any. Any. ANY.
I only want ones that make sense according to the style and nature of the series.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
There were no third party characters in consideration for Brawl besides Sonic and Snake. No one approached him besides Konami... he approached SEGA.ed i

I don't think he's crazy to not expect him, that was just a playful "why u no love Layton" statement.

But I do think not having Sonic and Snake returning is crazy. Crazy. CRAZY.

Oh, and my 3rd parties comment was about Sony's game. Don't know if you were talking to me or what about those. This thread is getting really conversationy, so it's hard to tell who's talking to whom.

D

Deleted member

"Johnknight1 said:
Smash 4 will sell 10 million units.
I agree that Smash 4 will beat Sony's All-Star, but I think being the ultra-mega hit that Brawl was depends on how well Wii-U sells, don't you think? And we shouldn't expect Wii U to do as well as the Wii.
I was about to mention Megaman Legends. Reviving 3 and even going in that direction for Megaman would be a big thing for the series. The series needs a huge change if it's going to survive in this market.
At this rate, reviving Legends 3 isn't going to happen. I think Capcom giving Mega Man a break (with possible exceptions of cross-overs) for a while is the best thing they could do, as much as I'd like to see the series continue. Beside, reviving Legends 3 isn't exactly the best business decision, especially since that sub-series is niche at best.

I'd say that after a long hiatus, they should either take the Classic/X games into a completely new direction (as those are the most mainstream) or make a new sub-series that can appeal to the fans who have followed the series and people who are relatively unaware.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But I do think not having Sonic and Snake returning is crazy. Crazy. CRAZY.
Don't hold your breath.

Also, I guess I want Geno, and he is... TECHNICALLY, a third party... so, there you go. I could pick 15 newcomers and make 90% of people happy, if it meant I didnt have to add any third parties.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Again, I stand on what I said. Advertisement only works when you have a product to sell. Megaman does not have any games to sell, so therefore it does not qualify as advertisement. Cameo appearance yes.
Sonic didn't initially have a game to sell, either. But then Unleashed and the Dark Brotherhood were revealed. The former sold a lot more than previous Sonic games. Again, Capcom will make a new Mega Man. If they put Mega Man in Smash 4, that will raise awareness for it if the game is released within say a year of Smash 4's release.
Oh I am very well aware of the repercussions of Sonic the Hedgehog being revealed in Super Smash Bros, remember I've been at this song and dance for awhile now. To put Megaman on the same pedestal as Sonic, despite how lethargic his games have been on late, is not appropriate. Megaman will not be as surprising or garner the reaction that Sonic the Hedgehog did. Will it be exciting? Yes, very much so, but not to the same degree as Sonic the Hedgehog.
Sonic wasn't surprising at all. Still, Mega Man will be a much, much smaller version of this if he is in Smash 4.
Only twice has that happened, and that was Megaman X and Megaman Battle Network. The Megaman series has been one of the worst offenders of growing stale, and is part of the reason why it's done for now.
Yes those scenarios are both true. However, the X drought was stopped by the Zero/Battle Network drought. The Zero series wasn't long enough to become very stale. Meanwhile the Battle Network grew stale halfway through the series, and after that, the Mega Man brand went through a drought until Mega Man 9.
An appearance in Super Smash Bros is not suddenly going to make Capcom decide to make new games. If all of the forum whining and Facebook petitions won't get them to change their minds on even releasing the 3DS demo of MML3 I doubt a cameo appearance is going to change anything either.
Capcom is making or will make a new Mega Man game, probably soon, as I previously mentioned. They will wait it out. Smash Bros. is a perfect platform to hype up that "Mega Man is coming back" and as a perfect precursor. It worked as a perfect precursor for Sonic, which has slowly become relevant and worth buying again.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Agreed. In hindsight it's rather easy to see why the game was cancelled. The first 2 (and I think the spin-off) all bombed pretty bad.

MM11 or MMX9 will be the big ones in terms of the series's future, they're also probably the only new games in the series that would be able to make money at this point.

@Star: I remember that interview. Same difference to me. They're both not getting any new major games in the future. Somehow I feel like we're arguing and yet agreeing at the same time. Weird. "shrugs"

Ah well, I'd rather see a new GnG, Strider, or Ducktales game anyway.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm still waiting for that big Darkstalkers 4 announcement. Talbain looks so cool. Speaking of which, maybe Sakurai should look at him and Valkenhayn for inspiration on changing Wolf.
WOOF!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm still waiting for that big Darkstalkers 4 announcement. Talbain looks so cool. Speaking of which, maybe Sakurai should look at him and Valkenhayn for inspiration on changing Wolf.
WOOF!
YUMYUMYUMYUM. I will, WILL, buy this game. I've been waiting a long time for this.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
YUMYUMYUMYUM. I will, WILL, buy this game. I've been waiting a long time for this.
So you're wanting Morrigan right? I hope there's an elaborately designed robot girl waiting for you.

Me? I hope we get something like Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas or Ms. Fortune from Skullgirls.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Nah, we all know Shortie's after Felicia. "Meow"

I myself have been looking at the series, so what's different about it in comparison to Street Fighter?

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Yeah, I probably do need to stop after the 1st analogy, but the #'s was worth bringing up. It goes to show you that even though there are a ton of Resident Evil titles released, they all sell pretty good.
Numbers part was funny because of cherry picking for Mega Man.

also tripping is awesome and so are blue shells

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I agree that Smash 4 will beat Sony's All-Star, but I think being the ultra-mega hit that Brawl was depends on how well Wii-U sells, don't you think? And we shouldn't expect Wii U to do as well as the Wii.
I dunno, I think the competitively low pricing under $300 will make it easier to buy. With more gamers attracted to the 3DS, DS, and Wii, it could sell pretty good. Maybe not as good as the Wii, but pretty good. However, I think the roof of how much it can sell depends on the state of the global economy in the forthcoming years.
Numbers part was funny because of cherry picking for Mega Man.
Nah, I just felt like getting it for Star. I knew the Mega Man series had sold less than the Street Fighter series and the Resident Evil series beforehand.
Silly Toise, tripping is for Sakurai's! :awesome:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Morrigan, and Felicia have always been my Darkstalker faves. I suppose I think Huitzel is cute... but I don't like BBHood, Lilith, or QBee too much, They're meh designed. I do like Squatch though! He's cute. Riku, or whatever the Merman's name is is pretty cool too. I like the living armor, Piros, too. Not too into the wolf, or the zombie, orrrrrrrr the Vampire boy. Oh, i love Jedah though.

Jedah > Ghirahim ALL DAY.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nah, we all know Shortie's after Felicia. "Meow"

I myself have been looking at the series, so what's different about it in comparison to Street Fighter?
I don't know ALL the details, but here's what I do know. The game can be described as a more fluid Street Fighter. I think a decent analogy would be a more anime-fighter type Street Fighter, but not into the Guilty Gear/BlazBlue territory. Another thing distinct to it is that there are no normal rounds. If you KO me first round, I get up and there is a brief period where we're just playing footsies. After that, the battle continues and I can KO your remaining health from the last round. It's kind of like Smash Bros. in that sense.

Look up Vampire Savior 3 footage if you have time. Also, Riku is curiously attractive for a fish man.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Look up Vampire Savior 3 footage if you have time. Also, Riku is curiously attractive for a fish man.
True dat. I hope they introduce a shota to match Lilith. Hopefully they make some sort of GHOSTY character as well. Like a phantom girl.

Oh yeah Kuma, fun fact: Lilith was originally designed to be A BOY. Talk about yum.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Meant how Mega Man games individually sell like garbage and the only reason it pulled 29 million was through sheer volume.
I think most of the sales have probably come from the classic and X series. The rest tend not to sell that well. If we were to cut those out, I wonder what the actual sales of the Mega Man franchise(s) would be. :ohwell:

Still, it's not like there isn't a crap ton of Resident Evil or Street Fighter games. There must be at least a dozen versions of Street Fighter II, and half a dozen remakes, re-releases, and various editions ( such as the "Director's Cut") of the original Resident Evil. :laugh:
I am definitely in favor of move induced tripping. Nothing wrong with that feature.
I agree entirely this and the part I omitted. Tripping as a result of an action should remain. Random tripping should never return in anything ever.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Another sig worthy quote.

I don't know ALL the details, but here's what I do know. The game can be described as a more fluid Street Fighter. I think a decent analogy would be a more anime-fighter type Street Fighter, but not into the Guilty Gear/BlazBlue territory. Another thing distinct to it is that there are no normal rounds. If you KO me first round, I get up and there is a brief period where we're just playing footsies. After that, the battle continues and I can KO your remaining health from the last round. It's kind of like Smash Bros. in that sense.
Kuma has somehow become my go to guy about all things fighting game related. lol

That sounds interesting, it's a good thing the games were recently ported to PSN. Now I just need to decide between that or Skullgirls.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I forgot to mention this Kuma, but knowing what character I was talking about from Guilty Gear... that's impressive. ;)
Those and the Lucario ones were only a handful. I don't like it when a ground combo consists of SHFFL'ing the same aerial a few times into a KO. It'd be one thing if this was a hit confirm, but it just seems boring to watch. And it makes some characters look like jumping fleas.
Well a lot of the ground game seems to still be in development. Plus a lot of the characters that were shown in that video are aerial characters. Still, it is still a demo. I think the offense needs to be developed for the defense (since doing the offense is a bit harder in terms of techniques and changing moves entirely than say fixing shields).

Another factor is probably that players aren't haven't gotten the defense down as easily as the offense. Project M seems to be quite a bit more offensive than Melee, because it made every character like a top tier Melee character. Because of these new changes, players will have to learn a lot new defensive things and situational understandings with these basically new character.

Also, most ground characters like Sheik, Bowser, (Fox? I use Fox mostly on the ground,) Donkey Kong, and Wolf weren't shown in that video.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I can at least say you'll get your money's worth with Skullgirls and you'll have people to play with. If you want to play Darkstalkers with people, you might wanna do GGPO instead. Also, I'd say ETWISTS is a better go-to guy on fighting games.

@John
While there have been numerous revisions in the Street Fighter games, at least it was where the titles of the games implied that they were updates. You didn't have Super Turbo as Street Fighter 6, it was treated as a part of the SF2 series. It also helps that Street Fighter as a series fell off the map for nearly ten years. On the other hand, Street Fighter, and any fighting game out there, has insane replay value so you can get your money's worth out of the games in a month's time at least.

I think what would've been great is if Megaman, in the Classic sense, had been designed much later on in the industry's life. For all I know, you could probably take the entire Megaman Classic series and treat it as a giant Mario game with multiple worlds/story arcs.

And on your last post, yeah, I know me some Guilty Gear even though I've only played a small amount. If I'm curious about a game, I look it up. And I deduced it was Justice since she's also broken in Accent Core+.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
While there have been numerous revisions in the Street Fighter games, at least it was where the titles of the games implied that they were updates. You didn't have Super Turbo as Street Fighter 6, it was treated as a part of the SF2 series. It also helps that Street Fighter as a series fell off the map for nearly ten years.
Exactly. And while there was a spin-off series in that gap. Street Fighter vs. X-Men, Marvel vs. Capcom, Capcom vs. SNK, etc. Oh, and Alpha 1-3.
I think what would've been great is if Megaman, in the Classic sense, had been designed much later on in the industry's life. For all I know, you could probably take the entire Megaman Classic series and treat it as a giant Mario game with multiple worlds/story arcs.
The Mega Man classic series should have (and should still) try to change like Mario. It's the same 2D side scrolling games with 8 Robot Masters every time. There is nothing wrong with having those games (Mario has 2D side scrolling games all the time), but you got to have diversity. Personally, I would love to see the Mega Man series rebuilt this way. :cool:

D

Deleted member

"Johnknight1 said:
Very few characters create the hype of 3rd party characters in Smash.
By third-party characters, that's pretty much Mega Man.

As for those who could create as much, if not more hype than Mega Man, I would say that K. Rool and Mewtwo are above him with Ridley's popularity being around that of Mega Man.
@SSBF Whaaaaat? You aren't interested in Layton? He's only the most badass, gentlemanly professor there is. Seriously though, I'm crazy about the Layton series. I think it's quite honestly one of the best franchises to come out of the DS generation of handhelds. I'm glad everyone seems to think he has decent chances, because he might be my most wanted at this point.
Layton is one of those choices I'm neutral on. He could end up really interesting if done well, but also potentially lame if execution is sub-par. I'll wait and see how he is incorporated (assuming he is included).

However, just because he's in my character pool does not mean I think he has a decent chance. As a matter of fact, there are less than twenty newcomers that I feel have a decent shot of being in Smash 4 and some of those characters on my pool I feel as a stretch. I don't feel as Layton is one of those likely newcomers.
SmashChu said:
1)The roster will suck. Sony just doesn't have a huge line of of characters and they are vastly different. I mean more vast than Snake in Smash (which Sakurai did a really good job on)
See, this is why I will not get the Sony game. There is only ONE Sony character I would want to see in that game and that is Ratchet. It's kind of sad when I have more guests I want for that game than Sony characters (the guests I would want to see for that game is Spyro and Crash). And the Killzone character just show how much they have to reach for characters whereas I can name at least thirty potential Nintendo newcomers for SSB4.
SmashChu said:
1)They really don't get how a cross over game should be done and want to add as many characters as they could, regardless if they'll work together
I think #2 can be integrated into this one. Having to depend on third-parties at first try is sad and seems more like "oh, they don't have much to offer". I don't expect a very good game.
Tacket said:
All you people do is talk about new characters. Don't you care about mechanics?
Well to be fair, we do talk about them sometimes, so it's not like this is just a speculation center.
Xhampi said:
The spin from Mario Galaxy ?
Ground Pound ?
Racoon Tail ?
Statue Transform ?
Hammer ?
The Star Spin is okay and I like Ground Pound. Racoon Tail I don't care for and Hammer is better with Paper Mario.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
Honestly, if any third party is going to get in, it's going to be a Square character. It makes FAR more sense than Megaman, and Snake. The relationship between the two companies is pretty tight lately.

Slime/Black Mage
Megaman
Layton

Take your pick.
I pick Mega Man, thought the others are also acceptable.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I also think Mega Man is definitely the most likely third party character. He's also the most requested one too.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If you step back out of the whole "SSB4 SPEC" perspective and look at the situation Megaman isn't anymore likely than the other two that have been mentioned.

yani

Smash Lord
My 2 cents on third parties: Mega Man seems like a character who would get in due to fan demand, whilst Layton or a SE character would probably get in from someone approaching Sakurai.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm going to cut you Oasis. As hard as Mewtwo and Roy were cut from Brawl.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
By third-party characters, that's pretty much Mega Man.
And Pac-Man, too. Because Pac-Man is according to some polls the most recognizable face in gaming. A Disney kid's show will only make him more recognizable. :shades:
As for those who could create as much, if not more hype than Mega Man, I would say that K. Rool and Mewtwo are above him with Ridley's popularity being around that of Mega Man.
Ridley would definitely generate hype... mostly for Smash fans and fans the Metroid series. However, Mega Man (and Pac-Man) would generate hype the entire gaming world would be aware of. Although if Mewtwo had an excellent entry with an awesome re-design, that could top the Mega Man hype. K. Rool could get close to the hype, but I don't think the hype K. Rool would generate could top any possible Mega Man in smash hype. It could really get us old Donkey Kong Country fans all riled up... in a good way, of course! :grin:

D

Deleted member

I am actually starting to find Mega Man not as likely as I did.

I mean, as stated, Sonic had a huge following for him; he was from what I understand, the most wanted character for Brawl worldwide (though most of his support came from the West, as Sakurai said). Mega Man? While possibly the most wanted 3rd Party, is far from the most wanted character in general. He's still got people like Ridley ahead of him, as well as Mewtwo and Roy, cut veterans.

And even then, Sonic wasn't even added into Brawl until 2007. Think about it; had Sonic not been so demanded, we would've only had Snake as a 3rd Party.
So what does this mean for Mega Man? That unless he "steps it up" :sonic:, and becomes the top character for Smash 4, he might not make it. Heck, we might not get any new 3rd Party, and just keep Snake and Sonic as is.
And then there's the fact that Capcom pretty much said that it's up to Nintendo/Sakurai, which means that they aren't going to put in the effort to have him included.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
**** third parties.

1. Toad
2. Dixie Kong
3. King K. Rool
4. Ghirahim
5. Bandana Dee
6. Ridley
7. Krystal
8. Goroh
9. Palutena
10. Mewtwo
11. Zoroark
12. Roy
13. Little Mac
14. Saki
15. Takamaru

That's a ****ing sweet roster if I do say so myself. And no third party characters needed.

At least he's noted he's a pretty popular character in the West...? Though, Mega Man may become more requested if only by circumstance, because he's the most popular third-party character and there's an expectation of more third-party characters. I mean, if Snake hadn't let it be known that third-parties were OKAY, I wonder how Sonic would have done in the Brawl poll?
Sakurai didn't sound too thrilled about adding Megaman to Smash, tbh.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hmmm. It is true that Sakurai has had requests for third-party characters before, and only Sonic's demand was so overwhelming. If only we knew Mega Man's standings in the Brawl poll.

At least he's noted he's a pretty popular character in the West...? Though, Mega Man may become more requested if only by circumstance, because he's the most popular third-party character and there's an expectation of more third-party characters. I mean, if Snake hadn't let it be known that third-parties were OKAY, I wonder how Sonic would have done in the Brawl poll?

D

Deleted member

Well Oasis, Sonic still had that Melee hoax that EGM pulled in 2002, so he was a popular choice for Smash as a result.
So even if Snake hadn't "opened the gates", Sonic still would've been a really popular choice. But at the same time, without Snake "opening the gates", Sonic may not have been allowed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom