• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Linkshot
You get what's up. I really wish Nintendo would have gotten the rights to the Conker, Banjo, Battletoads, and Perfect Dark franchises. Imagine all of those in smash. :ohwell:
So, you want a RE conversation that'll get ya going? Here's one: When is RE gonna have a Wii U appearance? When will it take place? And will someone important die? Maybe a big bombshell like, Chris is really one of those things, and the real Chris is hidden in the facility where they started their adventure. You can still play as Zombie Chris, just he'll be more furious, like ripping someone's arm off. That'd be pretty darn cool.
LOL, not a bad idea. I think Resident Evil needs to be less "oh issue here, issue there" (as well as less racist) and be like "oh, a large amount of the population of the world have become zombies. It's an apocalypse. You are low on ammo. AND EVERYTHING IS A ZOMBIE! RUN! THE CUT SCENE IS A LIE! RUN! THE LOADING SCREEN IS A LIE!" :grin: :laugh: :chuckle: :rotfl:
Fail to see why this matters when DQ already has Slime as it's mascot. Sakurai has been seen playing, and DEFENDING the series. On top of this, hello? DQ and Nintendo are like buddy buddy for the past few years and the relationship is only getting stronger.
Nintendo and Capcom (specifically with Mega Man) have always been "buddy-buddy." I don't think there have ever been animosity between the 2 companies.

Meanwhile, Nintendo still has a bit of animosity towards Square Enix for taking both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy to Sony consoles. Canon Final Fantasy still remain on Sony consoles (and even Microsoft consoles). You don't think Nintendo is mad about being the only company left out of having Final Fantasy XIII=???
Unrelated Edit:
The 49ers got LaMichael James! HELL YEAH! SPEED! SPEED! SPEED!
Edit 2: C'mon and post Smooth Criminal MAI BOI!!! :cool:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Shortiecanbrawl said:
Yeah, I'm sure his history is so special. More special than Layton's Bomberman's Sonic's Final Fantasy's Pac-Man's, Dragon Quest's, and alll the other series that have strong ties to Nintendo.
I lol'd at how Sonic and Pac-Man are somehow strongly affiliated with the Nintendo brand. One just saw a few ports to Ninty consoles and some mediocre handheld games, excluding the guest appearance in Brawl; the other has had so many more appearances on other platforms than anywhere else that his presence on a Nintendo console is veritably nil.

I could go on, but my point: None of them are really that relevant to Nintendo considering their origins.

Smooth Criminal

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't see how that matters. Kind of just saying bull**** to try and arbitrarily minimalize three extremely well known characters.
No, that's what you are doing. In fact, you did it in the paragraph after this by saying:
Yeah, I'm sure his history is so special. More special than Layton's Bomberman's Sonic's Final Fantasy's Pac-Man's, Dragon Quest's, and alll the other series that have strong ties to Nintendo.
Besides, Square Enix characters aside from FFVII characters, Squall, and Sora are not "extremely well known" outside of Japan (which is where 3/4ths the sales are at).

Also, I can't believe you mentioned Layton's history as more special compared to Mega Man. :facepalm: I hadn't even heard of that series until last fall. The Layton franchise is 20 years younger than the Mega Man franchise! (5 years vs. 25 years) :laugh: That's almost as long as my lifespan thus far! :grin:

As for Final Fantasy, the last time a numbered/canon Final Fantasy title originated on a Nintendo console was probably before you were born Shorts. Plus Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy never have set main characters. Instead, both franchises get new ones every titled/canon game. Thus, they have few stable characters and few who are known very well outside of Japan.

You are overall looking it as a franchise vs. franchise for a playable character spot. Instead, you should be looking at it as a character vs. character fight for a spot. The people want Mega Man, and Mega Man increases awareness for you product more than just about anybody else. That makes you money, and free advertisement. That's a basic part of business. If you saw and knew that with Mega Man, you wouldn't disagree with me from a business standpoint.

From a fan standpoint, though, you can disagree with me all you'd like as to whether Mega Man should be in smash or not (and nobody would be right or wrong). ;)

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I don't see how could anyone could argue that Mega Man isn't pretty much the best and most viable newcomer option we have now as far as third parties go for Smash 4. No one really compares at this point

Classic Mega Man isn't even my most wanted third party character lol and I even realize that

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
From a business standpoint, Mega Man is one of the best characters to add to the series because of the hype he would bring.

A 5th Generation Pokémon and King K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong would be the best Nintendo-owned characters to add. They will promote already established but still growing major franchises. Having Mega Man would also hype smash, which thus would hype those characters even more, which thus would hype those franchises even more. That would be nothing but a good thing for Nintendo.

For Capcom, it would help them gain/recapture the Mega Man audience to bring the franchise back after a 2 year hiatus and messy situation with his games.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
A 5th Generation Pokémon and King K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong would be the best Nintendo-owned characters to add. They will promote already established but still growing major franchises. Having Mega Man would also hype smash, which thus would hype those characters even more, which thus would hype those franchises even more. That would be nothing but a good thing for Nintendo..
You forgot Bowser Jr.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Bowser Jr. does not hype the Mario franchise like King K. Rool and Dixie Kong hype the Donkey Kong Country franchise (and brand) or what a 5th Generation Pokémon would in Smash. Besides, the Mario franchise is established with all of the characters that generate hype.

Pokémon has a seemingly never ending amount of "characters" to choose from.

Donkey Kong Country has several "main characters" and "major characters" that help hype the series that aren't in smash. Part of this is because in the 1st 3 Donkey Kong Country games had a different main character each game, and a new character each game (with a grand total of 4), a constant main villain (K. Rool), and a constant helper (Cranky Kong).

All the established "main" characters for Mario are already in Smash. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario.
The only Mario character that is possibly a "major character" left would be Toad.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
His point wasn't who has a better chance but who would generate more hype. Toad appeals to more groups than bowser jr does and DI would generate more hype. Obviously. =P

That's a surprise. I'm betting against that for either version of Smash 4, there's probably too much data. "shrugs"

It would be nice to see them at discounted prices, but I'll probably end up getting a hard copy anyway.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/04/28/wii-u-and-3ds-a-question-of-storage
Something to note.

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ disfunkshunal
I bet that Nintendo will release a new version of the 3DS (or a 3DS attachment) within 1-3 years with about 2 to 5 times the memory storage capabilities of the current 3DS.

I also think the Wii U's hard drive is gonna be at least 200 gigabytes. I wouldn't be surprised if could store over 500 gigabytes.

Still, what Nintendo is doing with the 3DS with digital data is revolutionary. It's nice to see Nintendo on the positive side of pushing graphical/digital (this scenario)/memory-based technology forward for once! :laugh:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No source = proof that your opinions are fact beyond a reasonable doubt.

Because opinions > facts, certainty without a doubt > moral clarity with doubt.

:shades:

All of that is a joke and/or backwards, of course!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I lol'd at how Sonic and Pac-Man are somehow strongly affiliated with the Nintendo brand. One just saw a few ports to Ninty consoles and some mediocre handheld games, excluding the guest appearance in Brawl; the other has had so many more appearances on other platforms than anywhere else that his presence on a Nintendo console is veritably nil.

I could go on, but my point: None of them are really that relevant to Nintendo's history considering their origins.

Smooth Criminal
Unlike Megaman, Pacman and Mario have crossed over twice, recently, and I don't need to say much about Sonic, considering you should already.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Nintendo and Capcom (specifically with Mega Man) have always been "buddy-buddy." I don't think there have ever been animosity between the 2 companies.

Meanwhile, Nintendo still has a bit of animosity towards Square Enix for taking both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy to Sony consoles. Canon Final Fantasy still remain on Sony consoles (and even Microsoft consoles). You don't think Nintendo is mad about being the only company left out of having Final Fantasy XIII=???
I'm sorry John, but that is bogus. Nintendo is in no way angry at SquareEnix, otherwise Nintendo would not be PERSONALLY handling the Dragon Quest series in the West. Final Fantasy is not that big of a deal when Dragon Quest makes them just about the same in Japan. Even then Nintendo still get the Final Fantasy spin off titles which still make them a lot of money. All of this also completely ignores Kingdom Hearts, which is probably SE's third pillar of support right now.

If anything it is Nintendo and Capcom that have strained relations. Up until just recently Capcom has snubbed Nintendo from any main entry from any of their series. Instead having to settle for spin offs and poor man's series. So in all actuality it is backwards. Even then there really is no animosity among any of them. These are business professionals, not kindergarten playground children whining every time they don't get their way.

Also, I can't believe you mentioned Layton's history as more special compared to Mega Man. :facepalm: I hadn't even heard of that series until last fall. The Layton franchise is 20 years younger than the Mega Man franchise! (5 years vs. 25 years) :laugh: That's almost as long as my lifespan thus far! :grin:
Guess what though the Professor Layton series is still successful. As far as anyone knows Megaman is dead and buried. Look I like Megaman too, but lets face reality the series is not really as successful as everyone thought it was. Sure during the NES/SNES time it was, but afterwards it started to dwindle under the weight of the constant milking. The most successful point in Megaman's career (gosh I hate treating this fictional character like he is real) was during the Battle Network mini-phenomenon. Partly due to the anime making it's way to Kid's WB.

As for Final Fantasy, the last time a numbered/canon Final Fantasy title originated on a Nintendo console was probably before you were born Shorts. Plus Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy never have set main characters. Instead, both franchises get new ones every titled/canon game. Thus, they have few stable characters and few who are known very well outside of Japan.
Pokémon never has a set main character, but somehow it works for Pikachu. It's called having mascots. That is exactly what Slime, Chocobo, Moogle and Black Mage are to their series.

You are overall looking it as a franchise vs. franchise for a playable character spot. Instead, you should be looking at it as a character vs. character fight for a spot. The people want Mega Man, and Mega Man increases awareness for you product more than just about anybody else. That makes you money, and free advertisement. That's a basic part of business. If you saw and knew that with Mega Man, you wouldn't disagree with me from a business standpoint.

From a fan standpoint, though, you can disagree with me all you'd like as to whether Mega Man should be in smash or not (and nobody would be right or wrong). ;)
The problem with advertisement is you need games to go along with it. Otherwise it is not advertisement, only a cameo appearance. As far as Capcom is concerned Megaman is done for and instead Street Fighter and Resident Evil are their priorities. Even an appearance in Super Smash Bros is not going to change that.

Not trying to be so blunt man, but you got to hold yourself to the same standard. Gotta have proof.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The fact is some franchises has more characters than others. So this would make more chances for the lowest franchise to appear on every run.
Even thought the top franchises would appear more frequently during the whole gaming because the mechanic would work this way: The computer picks up a characters and then automatically escludes all the other chars of the same franchise.
But still, if your opponents are random, and franchises can be used more than once, you can still have the chance to see opponents from the lower class franchises. Of course, this would apply even further when you get hold of the unlockables. Maybe for one example of my setup...

Stage 1: Mario vs. Fox
Stage 2: Mario & Samus vs. Link & Ike
Stage 3: Mario vs. Pit (x10)
Bonus 1: Target Smash!
Stage 4: Mario vs. Starfy
Stage 5: Mario, Link, & King Dedede vs. Ridley (giant)
Stage 6: Mario vs. Yoshi (x15)
Bonus 2: Platform Jump!
Stage 7: Mario vs. Zoroark
Stage 8: Mario vs. Captain Falcon (x20)
Stage 9: Mario vs. Takamaru (metal)
Bonus 3: Race to the Finish!
Stage 10: Mario vs. Fighting Alloy Team (x30)
Stage 11: Mario vs. Rosalina vs. Ness vs. Isaac
Stage 12: Mario vs. Master Hand

As you can see, Mario never faces the same opponent twice, but a past opponent can still appear as an ally, and vice versa.

Samus is heavy? I always found her floaty, like usually she is is Metroid-games (expect GBA-installments)

:phone:
Yeah I too thought that Samus was light, considering how floaty she is. Likewise, I thought Fox was heavy, due to his fast falling speed. But in reality, weight doesn't determine how fast a character falls.

Banjo and Conker are being held hostage, pretty much. Rare holds the rights to them but Microsoft refuses to let Rare develop anything other than Kinect stuff.
Sounds like Rare has gone downhill from here.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm sorry John, but that is bogus. Nintendo is in no way angry at SquareEnix, otherwise Nintendo would not be PERSONALLY handling the Dragon Quest series in the West. Final Fantasy is not that big of a deal when Dragon Quest makes them just about the same in Japan. Even then Nintendo still get the Final Fantasy spin off titles which still make them a lot of money. All of this also completely ignores Kingdom Hearts, which is probably SE's third pillar of support right now.
Woaw, long rant. What I am saying is that Nintendo won't add a Final Fantasy character, because that would be advertising characters who appear now on every console but theirs. I think this could eliminate all Final Fantasy characters out of contention, which sadly has not shut the Cloud, Squall, and Sephiroth psycho fanboys up. :urg:

I still think Dragon Quest has a chance to get a character in Smash, because it is pretty much exclusive to Nintendo consoles again. However, there is no clear cut Dragon Quest character to "lead" the way. There are multiple "icons" or "mascots" of the series, and only 1 roster spot. There is only one Mega Man (in a trillion forms), and most people who want Mega Man want classic Mega Man. Also, a reason why Mega Man > A Dragon Quest character is fan demand. As someone once said, "Customers are an investment. Maximize your return." Putting Mega Man in Smash 4 is maximizing your return Nintendo, although Capcom needs to hear that quote more! :laugh:
If anything it is Nintendo and Capcom that have strained relations. Up until just recently Capcom has snubbed Nintendo from any main entry from any of their series. Instead having to settle for spin offs and poor man's series. So in all actuality it is backwards. Even then there really is no animosity among any of them. These are business professionals, not kindergarten playground children whining every time they don't get their way.
But not Mega Man. The recent Mega Man series have all pretty much been on Nintendo consoles, if not exclusive to it.
Guess what though the Professor Layton series is still successful.
But not as successful as Mega Man.
As far as anyone knows Megaman is dead and buried. Look I like Megaman too, but lets face reality the series is not really as successful as everyone thought it was. Sure during the NES/SNES time it was, but afterwards it started to dwindle under the weight of the constant milking. The most successful point in Megaman's career (gosh I hate treating this fictional character like he is real) was during the Battle Network mini-phenomenon. Partly due to the anime making it's way to Kid's WB.
While there is some truth to what you say, Mega Man isn't dead. He had a game less than 2 years ago, and was in a game a few weeks ago. Heck, he's been in a game more recently than Ganondorf (who last appeared in Brawl). Does that make Ganondorf "dead and buried"=???
Pokémon never has a set main character, but somehow it works for Pikachu. It's called having mascots. That is exactly what Slime, Chocobo, Moogle and Black Mage are to their series.
But unlike those mascots, the Pokémon mascots hype a Nintendo series, which makes Nintendo money. Smash doesn't make much sales off those characters. And if they do, it's basically all in Japan, which is maybe 1/5th of the sales of Brawl (or about 1.8 million out of over 9 million owners of Brawl).
The problem with advertisement is you need games to go along with it. Otherwise it is not advertisement, only a cameo appearance. As far as Capcom is concerned Megaman is done for and instead Street Fighter and Resident Evil are their priorities. Even an appearance in Super Smash Bros is not going to change that.
Capcom is big enough to have multiple priorities. That's like saying Nintendo's only priorities were Mario and Pokémon. Well I guess then every other series is dead by this logic. Also, I'm pretty sure Capcom is thinking of a new unique way to introduce Mega Man with a brand new staff focused solely on the future (series) of Mega Man. Again, Mega Man had a major title as recently as 2 years ago. That isn't "dead." On top of that, Mega Man has been "dead" for a lot longer, and come back.
Not trying to be so blunt man, but you got to hold yourself to the same standard. Gotta have proof.
My proof is in analyzing things piece by piece logically, from multiple points of view, and considering various factors, not making bland, overgeneralized statements that prove nothing. Besides, what does Professor Layton hold to Mega Man=??? Go show a picture of Professor Layton to anyone you know. For every person who knows who Professor Layton is, at least 10 will know who Mega Man is.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Unfortunately, Mega Man is hated by Sakurai.

*leaves no source* :troll:

And has this been the topic while I've been playing the GW2 beta today?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Woaw, long rant. What I am saying is that Nintendo won't add a Final Fantasy character, because that would be advertising characters who appear now on every console but theirs. I think this could eliminate all Final Fantasy characters out of contention, which sadly has not shut the Cloud, Squall, and Sephiroth psycho fanboys up. :urg:
Okay, I can deal with that.
I still think Dragon Quest has a chance to get a character in Smash, because it is pretty much exclusive to Nintendo consoles again. However, there is no clear cut Dragon Quest character to "lead" the way. There are multiple "icons" or "mascots" of the series, and only 1 roster spot. There is only one Mega Man (in a trillion forms), and most people who want Mega Man want classic Mega Man. Also, a reason why Mega Man > A Dragon Quest character is fan demand. As someone once said, "Customers are an investment. Maximize your return." Putting Mega Man in Smash 4 is maximizing your return Nintendo, although Capcom needs to hear that quote more! :laugh:
Kay. Still, fan demand can always be trumped by executive decisions.

But not Mega Man. The recent Mega Man series have all pretty much been on Nintendo consoles, if not exclusive to it.

But not as successful as Mega Man.
That is debatable. If Professor Layton had the same amount of time as Megaman it might be closer. It is difficult to quantify.

While there is some truth to what you say, Mega Man isn't dead. He had a game less than 2 years ago, and was in a game a few weeks ago. Heck, he's been in a game more recently than Ganondorf (who last appeared in Brawl). Does that make Ganondorf "dead and buried"=???
C'mon, it is not difficult to see Megaman is on an indefinite leave of absence, Capcom said as much.

But unlike those mascots, the Pokémon mascots hype a Nintendo series, which makes Nintendo money. Smash doesn't make much sales off those characters. And if they do, it's basically all in Japan, which is maybe 1/5th of the sales of Brawl (or about 1.8 million out of over 9 million owners of Brawl).
You don't think Slime does that?

Capcom is big enough to have multiple priorities. That's like saying Nintendo's only priorities were Mario and Pokémon. Well I guess then every other series is dead by this logic. Also, I'm pretty sure Capcom is thinking of a new unique way to introduce Mega Man with a brand new staff focused solely on the future (series) of Mega Man. Again, Mega Man had a major title as recently as 2 years ago. That isn't "dead." On top of that, Mega Man has been "dead" for a lot longer, and come back.
Capcom said Megaman is done with for awhile.

My proof is in analyzing things piece by piece logically, from multiple points of view, and considering various factors, not making bland, overgeneralized statements that prove nothing. Besides, what does Professor Layton hold to Mega Man=??? Go show a picture of Professor Layton to anyone you know. For every person who knows who Professor Layton is, at least 10 will know who Mega Man is.
So am I.

As far as Layton Vs. Megaman, truth is there are a lot of people who do not know Megaman from any other character. Megaman is one of those funny characters who seems to have more hype than he really does. This is coming from someone who has played close to every Megaman game and loves the series the death, but it's the truth. Even though the series has been successful it is not exactly on par with Mario or Sonic the Hedgehog. Even within Capcom Megaman is not the most successful series. That is why they are giving him a rest. They've milked the series to death and are too afraid to try anything new.

Not trying to say Megaman will not be in, I'm only trying to get people to look at Megaman realistically. The dude is barely hanging on.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm still waiting on you to refute my point about the importance of Sonic and Pac-Man to Nintendo, Shorts.

I'll be here all night.

Smooth Criminal
What are you asking for exactly? I told you Pac Man and Mario have crossed over recently, and Sonic and Nintendo are pretty buddy buddy at this point. I dont see what else you want to hear?

Nintendo and those two franchises are on good terms? Much better terms than Nintendo and the Megaman franchise. that was my point

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not trying to say Megaman will not be in, I'm only trying to get people to look at Megaman realistically. The dude is barely hanging on.
I agree with ya on all of that, he's not as big as people think, but barely hanging on?

He still has Rockman Online, is now in Project X Zone, and several rereleases, not to mention all of the merchandice that has come out within the past year such as CDs, manga, the new comic book series, action figures, artbooks, etc. Not to mention all of the plans Capcom claims to have for his 25th this year.

Forgive me if my inner fanboy is showing. :embarrass:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I agree with ya on all of that, he's not as big as people think, but barely hanging on?

He still has Rockman Online, is now in Project X Zone, and several rereleases, not to mention all of the merchandice that has come out within the past year such as CDs, manga, the new comic book series, action figures, artbooks, etc. Not to mention all of the plans Capcom claims to have for his 25th this year.

Forgive me if my inner fanboy is showing. :embarrass:
Yeah, but he has no games coming out. That is what matters at the end of the day. You can only fill the tank with so much nostalgia before it runs out. Rockman Online barely qualifies as it is Korea only at this point as far as I know.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah, but he has no games coming out. That is what matters at the end of the day. You can only fill the tank with so much nostalgia before it runs out. Rockman Online barely qualifies as it is Korea only at this point as far as I know.
BUHT STAR, BOMBERMAN IS LIEK ONE OF THE MOST INFLUENTAL CHARACTURZ IN GAMING HIZTORY. HE WUZ ONE OF THE FURST MULTI PLAYER GAMES EVUR. SO WAT IF HIS COMPONY IS DEED?

Or, you can make a Banjo or Geno joke. I chose Bomberman.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Look I still think Megaman has a good shot, but by no means is it because Megaman is some super successful series, because it has not been for awhile. He definitely has fan demand, and I know there are those within Capcom pushing for something to be done, but the current Capcom executives may not be of the same mind as Inafune who was in favor of the idea.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Kay. Still, fan demand can always be trumped by executive decisions.
Well then those executives must hate money, free advertisement, hype, and raised awareness for all their gaming products related to smash bros. When Sonic was announced, it made Brawl go from 1 of the most anticipated games in the gaming world to the only thing anyone talked about. You all know that. We all know that.

What not a lot of people (including possibly you) may not realize is that Sonic's reveal in Brawl also raised the awareness and hype for the other newcomers and other new aspects of smash (such as the game play, assist trophy characters, bosses, trophies, stickers, etc). It literally made everything that was previously confirmed even more hyped, and everything that was hyped after that was hyped even more. I think this may have had an impact on sales of some series with playable character in smash, and overall it sold probably over 100,000 units of Brawl alone, and helped raise Sonic sales afterwards. Mega Man could do that, although to a much lesser extent. That's a big factor in this decision.
That is debatable. If Professor Layton had the same amount of time as Megaman it might be closer. It is difficult to quantify.
If anything had that amount of time, we could really see if that series has what it takes to "last." Professor Layton could be gone, it could be for a small fan base like Guilty Gear, it could develop a large "cult" fan base like Castlevania, it could branch off into multiple series like Mega Man, or it could become a largely popular franchise like Street Fighter.
C'mon, it is not difficult to see Megaman is on an indefinite leave of absence, Capcom said as much.
An indefinite leave of absence? Yes. It has happened before quite a few times. Leaving forever? No. Mega Man always finds ways to relevant to a new generation of gamers.
You don't think Slime does that?
While that is the most important 3DS 3rd party (exclusive) franchise, it still isn't as big or important as Pokémon. Dragon Quest sells like Big Macs in Japan, while outside of Japan it sells like... well... a 5-star restaurant. Pokémon sells like Big Macs everywhere, which is why the series has sold about 275 million units worldwide, while Dragon Quest has sold about 58 million units. But hey, either way that's a huge franchise, and I can take that extra moneys! :awesome:
Capcom said Megaman is done with for awhile.
Again, not forever. Heck, he was just in Street Fighter X Tekken. Well, Bara Man was. Mega Man will return. Smash Bros. is the perfect place to revive him.
Even within Capcom Megaman is not the most successful series.
The biggest franchise is Resident Evil, which has sold about 48 million copies. Next is Street Fighter, at 32 million copies. Mega Man is not far behind, with 29 million units sold. Resident Evil obviously has multiple main characters (Jill, Leon, Chris), and Street Fighter... well... doesn't have a story. Plus us Smash fans don't like the Street Fighter fanbase because many (not all) of them are elitists, sexist, and quite frankly annoying. Also, the series has no main character (although Ryu is the mascot)

Even though there are 5,000 forms of Mega Man, we all immediately think of classic Mega Man. He immediately has an aura with Nintendo/Smash in fans minds, whether it's because he fits so well with Nintendo characters (at least their [and my] opinion), he's got a long history with Nintendo, or he is much older than the previous mentioned characters/series.
That is why they are giving him a rest. They've milked the series to death and are too afraid to try anything new.
The series a few years ago lost itself. This was mostly because it had too many (mediocre) games with loads of sequels. These included wanna be Mega Man Zero games (which were okay) and awful rip-offs of the Battle Network series. Then Mega Man went back to its' roots with Mega Man 9. Suddenly, Mega Man is relevant again.

Now that this era of going back to the roots of Mega Man is over. A new direction is needed, or this direction of going back to the roots needs to be heavily built upon, and turned into a full scale game. Regardless, Capcom is definitely investing in a new direction for Mega Man, especially since this is the 25th Anniversary of Mega Man. However, I do agree that the series milked itself too much. Thankfully unlike Guitar Hero, it didn't basically kill the franchise like a bad trend or habit! :laugh:

Edit: This is my 6,543rd post! w00t! :chuckle:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Look I still think Megaman has a good shot, but by no means is it because Megaman is some super successful series, because it has not been for awhile. He definitely has fan demand, and I know there are those within Capcom pushing for something to be done, but the current Capcom executives may not be of the same mind as Inafune who was in favor of the idea.
With this being said, my point from the get go was, Square, and Nintendo are very buddy buddy atm, specifically with DQ. Sakurai is also personally buddy buddy with Layton's creator.

I was just pointing out, yes, Megaman has fan demand, but that's about it. These other two companies have some hefty grounds for their characters being added. Not that Megaman is a bad choice.

Can't believe Bomberman 64 isn't on the VC.
It's disgusting right?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
oh that's rich
Mega Man always finds a new fan base through various spin-offs. It's really weird. I'm not a big fan of the Zero series, but man, there are some people who are really into those games. The same goes for Battle Network, X, of course the classic series, Legends, and maybe even that Star Force crap! :laugh:

Edit:
Those Coyotes are 1 exciting hockey team. They play a quarter more than LeBron James does!
:laugh:

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
oh man oh man I need more John Business talk

Dragon Quest sells like Big Macs in Japan, while outside of Japan it sells like... well... a 5-star restaurant.
The biggest franchise is Resident Evil, which has sold about 48 million copies. Next is Street Fighter, at 32 million copies. Mega Man is not far behind, with 29 million units sold.
Regardless, Capcom is definitely investing in a new direction for Mega Man, especially since this is the 25th Anniversary of Mega Man.
HANS

BUBBY

I'M YOUR WHITE KNIGHT

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well then those executives must hate money, free advertisement, hype, and raised awareness for all their gaming products related to smash bros. When Sonic was announced, it made Brawl go from 1 of the most anticipated games in the gaming world to the only thing anyone talked about. You all know that. We all know that.
Again, I stand on what I said. Advertisement only works when you have a product to sell. Megaman does not have any games to sell, so therefore it does not qualify as advertisement. Cameo appearance yes.
What not a lot of people (including possibly you) may not realize is that Sonic's reveal in Brawl also raised the awareness and hype for the other newcomers and other new aspects of smash (such as the game play, assist trophy characters, bosses, trophies, stickers, etc). It literally made everything that was previously confirmed even more hyped, and everything that was hyped after that was hyped even more. I think this may have had an impact of sales of some series with playable character in smash, and overall it sold probably over 100,000 units of Brawl alone, and helped raise Sonic sales afterwards. Mega Man could do that, although to a much lesser extent. That's a big factor in this decision.
Oh I am very well aware of the repercussions of Sonic the Hedgehog being revealed in Super Smash Bros, remember I've been at this song and dance for awhile now. To put Megaman on the same pedestal as Sonic, despite how lethargic his games have been on late, is not appropriate. Megaman will not be as surprising or garner the reaction that Sonic the Hedgehog did. Will it be exciting? Yes, very much so, but not to the same degree as Sonic the Hedgehog.

If anything had that amount of time, we could really see if that series has what it takes to "last." Professor Layton could be gone, it could be for a small fan base like Guilty Gear, it could develop a large "cult" fan base like Castlevania, it could branch off into multiple series like Mega Man, or it could become a largely popular franchise like Street Fighter.
This is just toying with a lot of hypothetical scenarios. My point is the Professor Layton series is massively successful, and that if you took that success and quantified it by the same time Megaman has been around it might not be too surprising to think it could have done better. It is all a what if, kind of like that scene in Rocky Balboa that pits virtual Rocky in his prime against the current, modern title champion.

An indefinite leave of absence? Yes. It has happened before quite a few times. Leaving forever? No. Mega Man always finds ways to relevant to a new generation of gamers.
Only twice has that happened, and that was Megaman X and Megaman Battle Network. The Megaman series has been one of the worst offenders of growing stale, and is part of the reason why it's done for now.

Again, not forever. Heck, he was just in Street Fighter X Tekken. Well, Bara Man was. Mega Man will return. Smash Bros. is the perfect place to revive him.
An appearance in Super Smash Bros is not suddenly going to make Capcom decide to make new games. If all of the forum whining and Facebook petitions won't get them to change their minds on even releasing the 3DS demo of MML3 I doubt a cameo appearance is going to change anything either.

Now that this era of going back to the roots of Mega Man is over. A new direction is needed, or this direction of going back to the roots needs to be heavily built upon, and turned into a full scale game. Regardless, Capcom is definitely investing in a new direction for Mega Man, especially since this is the 25th Anniversary of Mega Man. However, I do agree that the series milked itself too much. Thankfully unlike Guitar Hero, it didn't basically kill the franchise like a bad trend or habit! :laugh:
The only thing we might see is Megaman 11 for WiiWare, that is about the only way Capcom feels they can make a Megaman title without losing money. Which is crap, but it is their belief.

Blargh I'm tired, this is my last round-a-bout of quote tic tac toe.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
There's so much gaming news flying around, it's like a harbinger of the impending E3 storm.

How about that Sony Smash Bros. clone? I think it actually looks pretty cool (I don't particularly care that they used the Smash Bros. format, unlike the masses of raging fanboys). I mean, Parappa the Rapper is in it. That alone is enough to make me want to go out and get a PS3 for that game.

One thing I can't believe, though, is that it's not being internally developed by Sony. By that I mean they aren't taking the lead. SuperBot is apparently the lead.

I will say this: Crash Bandicoot being playable in that game will make me purchase it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Crash isn't owned by Sony... just so you know. Neither is Spyro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom